Blanche De Chambly | Unibroue

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Ratings: 2,411 |  Reviews: 1,046
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the second of my Unibroue tour.
Appearance - A very good yellow/ orange color. Fairly translucent. Active carbonation, about two fingers of head with no lacing. Poured perfectly into a 16oz glass.

Smell - Sweet with lemon, wheat, and light malt notes. The aromatic smell of hops is prevalent.

Taste- A little much on the carbonation. A strong wheat taste more than anything. I ca't taste much of the fruit overtones I smell. Not as well balanced. It taste like most weizens.

Mouthfeel- A fairly neutral mouthfeel for a light bodied beer. Carbonation could kick back a wee bit.

Overall - I still go by what I said for Unibroue, they don't make bad beers, but I wasn't as impressed with this beer. It felt like a simple witbier, their was no wow factor that I was expecting.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Draft

Appearance - Hazy yellow colour with a large fizzy white head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some very fairly good lacing. The head lasted fro about 5 minutes before it dissipated.

Smell - Wheat, coriander, lemons, grains

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation on the tongue. I can taste wheat, lemons, and coriander. There is also a hint of fruitiness.. perhaps apples and bananas. It ends with a spicy slightly tart aftertaste.

Drink - Was happy to try this one on tap. It's one of the better wits available in my area and I'd drink it again anytime.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very light, very tart. Quite beautiful pale foamy brew. Served in a tulip glass at Ritual Tavern in San Diego.

Tastes like rainwater on a flower-scented evening. Spicy harvest taste. If only some brewer would give a pumpkin ale this kind of delicate spicing. Fragrant with a pleasing taste of sweet malt. Nice watery but carbonated mouthfeel. This seems totally typical of the Wit style.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a semi hazy yellow with nice white head.

The smell is of citrus leaning towards lemon along with lots of herbal notes.

The taste is much more herbal than citrus. Fairly light with nice a nice malt backbone.

I enjoy trying Wits and seeing how they vary from brewery to brewery. A good take on the style and while not my favorite I found no flaws in it and wouldn't hesitate trying it on tap.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

The beer is completely transparent and appears a light yellow color. The head is smaller than expected, leaving some sparse lacing on the glass. The aroma brings apples, coriander, with a touch of lemon. Spiced green apples in the flavor. Suitable for autumn. Low carbonation and smooth on the palate, with minimal alcohol presence. The body is quite thin. A decent example of the style.

4.97/5  rDev +28.4%

Simply one of my favorites beers, it poors a great pale golden color, makes a lot of brew, smells fresh and fruits, the taste is mild, calm, with some little fruit aromas, the mouthfeel is perfect. This is, to me, the perfect beer to drink while relaxing, it really worths the try.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

A: Pours a straw color with a fluffy white head that lingers

S: Nice spice notes, a very clean, refreshing pear/green apple fruit aroma, a bubble gum sweetness

T: At first, a big blast of sour, which then turns into a refreshing, slightly fruity sweetness, and finishes with an apple skin sort of dry, fruity finish.

O: Not bad, but not great either. I much prefer ephemere apples to this, or even la fin du monde, maudite, or any of the other unibroue styles.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Mmmm... Unibroue. Definitely my favorite Belgian brewery that's located in North America. I saw this at the store and I hadn't had it yet. However, since it's Unibroue, I knew it would be tasty. Served in a Maudite snifter.

The beer pours a clearish, bold gold. Surprised to not see a bit more haze. While the body is solid, the head recedes a bit too fast for my taste. It was a nice, tight bone white, but it just didn't have the staying power.

The nose is pretty fruity. The first thought that comes to me is peach. There's also some apple in there, much in the way of other Unibroue beers. However, this isn't as spicy. I'm not sure I get much fromt he wheat, but that's ok.

The taste is also pretty muted and smooth. Definite fruit notes from the yeast that are along the lines of the nose. There's also a dryish biscuity undertone. The wheatiness starts to come through as the beer warms.

This is decent stuff. Not impressive, but definitely solid. Would I get it over other Unibroue beers? Probably not, but I sure do love that brewery.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright gold color with two fingers of head. Foam sticks around a bit, nice lacing on the glass to the end. Light smell, more malt than hop and very pleasant. The taste is nice and light with no bitterness or bite. This beer was gone before I knew it. True to the style, it takes no risks but delivers a highly drinkable brew.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A: Initially this pours a clear golden/orange color. After a swirl of the last few ounces, a perfect hazy/cloudiness forms. A two finger white head forms with excellent retention. Lots of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Musky, basement like funk up front and center. Like I am in an old cellar. Zesty lemon, spicy coriander, biscuit malts. Simple, but excellent.
T: Again, mostly simple, but incredible. Musky/funky basement that I love. Zesty, almost tart lemon flavors. Some coriander and biscuit malts. Husky wheat. A lingering honey like sweetness as well.
M/D: A medium body that is very effervescent. Everything is so crisp, clean, and dry. So easy to drink. All day with this.

Just an all around excellent Wit. I think this is my favorite Unibroue offering. Overall, this is very simple, but so enjoyable. I can not recommend this enough.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

A- Pours a hazy honey with a one finger white head, stays at about a quarter of a finger. Some lacing.
S- The smell is well balanced with a strong clove and pepper aroma being tempered by a peach and apple fruityness.
T- Whereas the spice was more prevelant on the nose, I would say the fruit was much stronger on the tongue. Initially it's a sweet peach and apricot. There's a bit of wheaty tang, but the clove presence near the finish is more noticable.
M- Decent body for the style. Carbonation is very active on the tongue, nearing but not quite reaching too active. Finish is almost dry, but there is a bit of lingering to it.
O- A really well developed balnced wit. On the shortlist of my favorites in the style. Really love how Unibroue gets depth of flavor, yet still balance in their beers.

A cloudy pale yellow with a nice large lasting white head on the pour. Aroma and Taste is a nice citrusy orange peel, some banana, pears and sweet ripe fruit bouquet, with some light wheat, malt and tartness. A nice light to med body with moderate carbonation and a nice clean crisp mouth feel. Finish sweet ripe fruit, citrusy orange peel, banana with some light malt and fruity tartness. Overall a very nice fruity and flavorful brew

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours cloudy, yellow in color, with a wonderful, fluffy white head. Aroma is light and spicy. I can't pick out particular spices, but it's a nice mix. Taste is refreshing - light, slightly grassy malts are followed with a yeasty spiciness in the after taste. Very pleasant. Wonderful mouthfeel.

I'll admit that I am a big fan of Unibroue beers. I picked up this bottle out of my fridge simply because I wanted something light that I can count it. I wasn't even planning on reviewing it (the mood just wasn't there). But after the first sip, I figured that I do need to record a note about it.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Aroma: Wheat. Light fruity banana plantain aroma. A touch of vanilla. Not picking up a lot of spices. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Big foamy rocky head. Lots of carbonation, medium dissipation. Low lacing. Cloudy, light golden color. Something in the bottom of my glass. I can't tell if that is spices or foil from the wrapper.

Flavor: Banana, wheat, a lot of pear. Picking up more of the spices in flavor, but still not coriander. Very low bitterness. No sourness. A touch of sweetness in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low mouthfeel, residual sweetness stays on tongue. Alcohol present, but not overpowering. Carbonation was high in the beginning but quickly faded.

Overall: This is a good beer, but not what i expected. This beer leans more towards the fruit end of this style not the spicing or heavy wheat.

3.59/5  rDev -7.2%

I'm new to beer, so I'm no pro at reviewing beer yet. I would agree that It was overall a nice beer to drink. The smell was good had a very pleasant aroma, I found the taste to be average, the carbonation brought a new interesting feel to the beer. It was dark lagers that drew me into the world of " beer", so even though I don't particularly like lighter beer's this white beer from Quebec was good. Hope you get a chance to try. Sorry about my review, I did my best!!

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Hazy golden yellow with a thick, creamy white head. Little retention. Scattered streaks of lacing down the glass.

S - Very appealing. Powerful aromas of lemon, banana, grapefruit, and other citrus notes fill the nose. A bit of grain comes through.

T - The taste follows the nose, with dominant citrus notes and grainy yeast flavors up front. The citrus flavor is extremely pleasant. The finish is spicy and dry, with more yeast and grain lingering in the aftertaste.

M - Smooth, crisp, and refreshing. Light bodied with high carbonation.

D - Decent witbier. Extremely drinkable and refreshing. Every beer I've sampled so far from Unibroue has been impressive.

2.94/5  rDev -24%

12 oz bottle labeled 11-23-11.

A - Looks a lot like a malt liquor. Honestly, it fizzes like soda and has a brownish hue to the yellow color. Looks like Steel Reserve. Head is gone instantly.

S -Sweet wheat and a hint of citrus. Nothing too interesting.

T - Taste is oh-kay at best. It is a bit sweet, with wheat and grain. There is no yeast or citrus or spice flavor to it, it is really quite boring. Big disappointment.

M - Light to medium body and lots of soda-like carbonation.

O - Huge disappointment. It isn't even close to comparing to Allagash or Hoegaarden. A boring, middle-of-the-road beer from a brewery that is capable of so much more.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Bottle says best by 05-04-12.

Appearance: Cloudy golden orange with a moderate amount of rising bubbles and some particles at the bottom of the glass. Decent two fingers of white head fade into a patchy layer. Lacing is pretty light.

Smell: A sweet aroma of wheat, bananas, orange, lemon, pear, peach, and coriander with some other spices. Also a little bit of yeast lingering in the aroma. Smells fairly sweet and inviting.

Taste: Sweet wheat and citrus fruits along with a stronger yeasty spice presence than the nose suggests. The pale wheat combines nicely with the fruits including banana, orange, pear, lemon, and peach. Coriander and a little pepper add to the spice along with some cloves. Slightly tart and sour. Pretty good balance.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Smooth and slightly dry.

Overall: A very good take on a witbier. Everything is well balanced and their is plenty of flavor in this lighter bodied brew.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

This beer pours a hazy golden colour with a thick foamy head that slowly dissipates. As usual for Unibroue, there is lots of carbonation rushing up to the top.

The aroma is light and citrusy with some slight sweet wheat coming through.

The flavour is light and crisp with little aftertaste. It is slightly citrusy, and fairly subdues, but nonetheless balanced.

Overall, this is a refreshing summer beer. While it probably isn't the best offering from Unibroue, it is a nice beer is reasonably priced in Canada.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

Found this on tap at a Thai place called Summer Canteen in North Hollywood. Served in the proper glassware no less. Tip-of-the-hat.

A – Thin, creamy white head sits in a sturdy foam with great lace. Opaque orange / banana juice body. Hazy, but with little-to-no particulate.

S – Huge bouquet. I could smell the sweet wheatiness of the aroma as the glass was set down at arms length from me. Once I brought it to a proper distance, the nose was full of beautiful banana, honeysuckle, orange pulp, washed lemons and agave.

T – Bright straw and lemon and a brisk, well carbonated base. The acidity takes a minerally twist mid profile, as wheat starts to show through. The finish is dry with a refreshing flintiness.

M – The body is a little light, but seasonably appropriate for southern CA in July.

O – Bright and clean. It’s missing a little depth, but the flavors that are there are well integrated and delicious.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

More adventures from the clearance section of the store.
A Witbier with a Best By date stamp of 12/17/11, only 4 months or so from now. For the price offered, its worth a shot, so here we go....

Clear orangeish golden yellow in color with large poofy head that fizzles out because the bottle is closer to the best by date than I would care to admit. I'm going to have to show some leniency about criticizing the carbonation because of that. But at least there are still plenty of spritzey bubbles rising up from the bottom of the tulip glass, and the color is quite gorgeous.

The nose contains tremendous amounts of floral perfumey characteristics layered over the top of lesser notes of orange and lemon citrus, with a dash of coriander-spice accenting, but only just a bit. The discrete layered nature of the nose is quite appealing to me, I don't know how else to describe it other than that the smell unfolds in noticeable stages as you process it, much like the taste of craft beers will often have separate portions that behave quite differently. Except this one does it in the nose.

Taste is much like the nose, orange peel at first than coriander and pale wheat malt sweetness later. The large amounts of Floral Hops from the nose aren't present in the taste at detectable amounts for me, but I must remember that the bottle is somewhat old. Since it tastes pretty damn good old, it makes me want to seek out another fresher bottle at the store to sample in the future!

Medium-light body, somewhat weaker carbonation from shelf degradation, kind of flawed without stronger bubbly action.

This one impressed me enough that now I would be willing to pay full price for a fresh bottle.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Hazy yellow with a nice white head of tightly compacted bubbles. Decent retention that leaves a thin film with lively bubbles on top. Light coriander, lemon and a touch of orange on the nose. Also a bit of soft wheat in the background. Lighter on the palate than many Witbiers I have had, but it has a nice dry finish and a bit of spice, more of a lemon finish for me than orange peel. Mouthfeel is pretty light but it has a beautiful fine carbonation that only comes from bottle conditioning. Overall this is a really nice beer, for me I tend to like a little richer and bigger Wit (something like St. Bernardus which is one of my favorites) but does not mean that the lightness is a fault in this beer. This is a very well made, great summer beer and like the rest of the Unibroue beers, priced very well for a 750 of Belgian style bottle conditioned beer.

from bomber into tulip

A - pale golden straw; pours with a nice fluffy head that quickly fades to a scant lacing on the surface; no lacing on the glass; gentle bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass

S - quite inviting nose; initial hit of stone fruits (white peach) and baked peach gets joined by a sightly lemon-y citric note and mild spices (coriander and hints of white pepper); faint leafiness

T - taste follows the nose, but with the addition of a layer of wheat and malt; tartness; finishes lemon-wheat and a little spicy

M - firm and refreshing palate; moderately high CO2 that feels natural and a little exuberant; slight creaminess to the middle that doesn't impact on the refreshing aspect

O - really quite good; don't know why I don't drink this more often..?

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue