Blanche De Chambly | Unibroue

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-29-2001

Ratings: 2,450 |  Reviews: 1,053

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the second of my Unibroue tour.
Appearance - A very good yellow/ orange color. Fairly translucent. Active carbonation, about two fingers of head with no lacing. Poured perfectly into a 16oz glass.

Smell - Sweet with lemon, wheat, and light malt notes. The aromatic smell of hops is prevalent.

Taste- A little much on the carbonation. A strong wheat taste more than anything. I ca't taste much of the fruit overtones I smell. Not as well balanced. It taste like most weizens.

Mouthfeel- A fairly neutral mouthfeel for a light bodied beer. Carbonation could kick back a wee bit.

Overall - I still go by what I said for Unibroue, they don't make bad beers, but I wasn't as impressed with this beer. It felt like a simple witbier, their was no wow factor that I was expecting.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Draft

Appearance - Hazy yellow colour with a large fizzy white head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some very fairly good lacing. The head lasted fro about 5 minutes before it dissipated.

Smell - Wheat, coriander, lemons, grains

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an above average amount of carbonation on the tongue. I can taste wheat, lemons, and coriander. There is also a hint of fruitiness.. perhaps apples and bananas. It ends with a spicy slightly tart aftertaste.

Drink - Was happy to try this one on tap. It's one of the better wits available in my area and I'd drink it again anytime.

3.76/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very light, very tart. Quite beautiful pale foamy brew. Served in a tulip glass at Ritual Tavern in San Diego.

Tastes like rainwater on a flower-scented evening. Spicy harvest taste. If only some brewer would give a pumpkin ale this kind of delicate spicing. Fragrant with a pleasing taste of sweet malt. Nice watery but carbonated mouthfeel. This seems totally typical of the Wit style.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a semi hazy yellow with nice white head.

The smell is of citrus leaning towards lemon along with lots of herbal notes.

The taste is much more herbal than citrus. Fairly light with nice a nice malt backbone.

I enjoy trying Wits and seeing how they vary from brewery to brewery. A good take on the style and while not my favorite I found no flaws in it and wouldn't hesitate trying it on tap.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

The beer is completely transparent and appears a light yellow color. The head is smaller than expected, leaving some sparse lacing on the glass. The aroma brings apples, coriander, with a touch of lemon. Spiced green apples in the flavor. Suitable for autumn. Low carbonation and smooth on the palate, with minimal alcohol presence. The body is quite thin. A decent example of the style.

4.97/5  rDev +27.8%

Simply one of my favorites beers, it poors a great pale golden color, makes a lot of brew, smells fresh and fruits, the taste is mild, calm, with some little fruit aromas, the mouthfeel is perfect. This is, to me, the perfect beer to drink while relaxing, it really worths the try.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Pours a straw color with a fluffy white head that lingers

S: Nice spice notes, a very clean, refreshing pear/green apple fruit aroma, a bubble gum sweetness

T: At first, a big blast of sour, which then turns into a refreshing, slightly fruity sweetness, and finishes with an apple skin sort of dry, fruity finish.

O: Not bad, but not great either. I much prefer ephemere apples to this, or even la fin du monde, maudite, or any of the other unibroue styles.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Mmmm... Unibroue. Definitely my favorite Belgian brewery that's located in North America. I saw this at the store and I hadn't had it yet. However, since it's Unibroue, I knew it would be tasty. Served in a Maudite snifter.

The beer pours a clearish, bold gold. Surprised to not see a bit more haze. While the body is solid, the head recedes a bit too fast for my taste. It was a nice, tight bone white, but it just didn't have the staying power.

The nose is pretty fruity. The first thought that comes to me is peach. There's also some apple in there, much in the way of other Unibroue beers. However, this isn't as spicy. I'm not sure I get much fromt he wheat, but that's ok.

The taste is also pretty muted and smooth. Definite fruit notes from the yeast that are along the lines of the nose. There's also a dryish biscuity undertone. The wheatiness starts to come through as the beer warms.

This is decent stuff. Not impressive, but definitely solid. Would I get it over other Unibroue beers? Probably not, but I sure do love that brewery.

4.45/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright gold color with two fingers of head. Foam sticks around a bit, nice lacing on the glass to the end. Light smell, more malt than hop and very pleasant. The taste is nice and light with no bitterness or bite. This beer was gone before I knew it. True to the style, it takes no risks but delivers a highly drinkable brew.

Blanche De Chambly from Unibroue