Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,621 |  Reviews: 1,937
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

This was a christmas present. It's been sitting for a while lol.

Appearance- dark brownish color, thick head

Smell- fruit, wheat

Taste- fruity, very pleasant and soothing, sweetness

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I liked it. It was very pleasant to drink. Kind of relaxing

Ah, My 100th review.

Pours a copper colored beer in the bright sunlight. A decent head sticks around pretty well leaving lace.

Smells are of sweet malt smells, banana, and slight spiciness.

Taste is amazing. Bready malt with caramel, spiced with clove and banana, an earthiness, toffee. Amazing.

Plenty of carbonation allows the body to be moderate to light and it remains a refreshing beer with tons of flavor.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- orangish brown- almost looks like a brown sunset. Lots and lots of foam. Very frothy-
Smell- yes this was probably my favorite part of this beer. There was a smoking oat and sweet smell, with not a hint of alcohol.
Taste- Decent taste, was not a huge fan on the first sip, but after 3-4 I gained an appreciation. My only complaint here is that there is a bit of a wheaty taste that hangs a bit long.
Mouthfeel- one of the lighter feeling Belgian beers I've tasted, with a bit more froth
Drinkability- goes down smooth

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

The appearance is very dark for its style. when the cup is full and the light is low its almost black. The bottom half of the glass is redish gold when held against the light. It is full of character.

The taste has a sweetness that hides it's weight. Malty. It certainly doesn't taste like an 8% beer. Impressive.

Very drinkable. I will certainly be buying this beer again. The packaging accentuates this beers character. It comes in a wire reinforced cork bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice light amber color with nice head that stays all the way to the last drop. Lots of carbonation my beer had constant stream of bubbles rising but never tasted over carbonated.

Sweet fruity aroma bananas, raisons? with touch of spice thrown in. Tastes wonderful, malty, sweet, fruity excites the mouth with slight hops on the way down.

Mouthfeel was wonderful I could drink this all day long. Would never have know it had 8% abv if not for the label. Was a wonderful brew sorry that I now have only 3 left. Was my first Unibroue definitely will not be the last.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a nice cloudy, amber with a thick, foamy, slightly off-white, and very persistent head. The smell is fairly mellow but full of different aromas, especially those of spices and flowers. Very nice complex taste--especially fruity and spicy (peppery in particular). Finishes quite dry. A rather smooth beer and rather easy drinking despite the high alcohol content. This is definitely a beer I will look forward to having again.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Served in a Unibroue snifter glass at Twains in Decatur, GA. This beer pours a light copper-red with a decent sudsy white head (1 inch). Impressive lacing that repeatedly rings the entire glass as I drink. It has a spicy and sweet aroma with hints of fall foliage. The taste is yeasty, spicy, and earthy. Has a honey-link feel to the taste, very nice. It has a bit of a warming quality. If it wasn’t a high-gravity I’d be slamming this brew. Another hit from Unibroue!

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at world of beer.

A: Really deep burnt amber with a huge off-white head. Lighter bits of lacing have some good staying power. Seems to have real high carbonation.

S: huge blasts of banana and candy sugar. Sticky dark fruit, caramel, orange peel, caramelized sugar. This is Belgian beer imbodied.

T: Candy sugar, banana, spices, some orange peel figgy plum. I didnt expect all of these spices, seems to be allspice, coriander, cinammon, and light nutmeg; all in all that really seems to take this to that next level that American brewers cant seem to find. Alcohol is hidden very well.

M: Nice and sticky, fluffy carbonation, heavier medium/full bodied.

O: I expected this to be solid from what Ive heard and given its from Unibroue, but it blew my expectations away. Really a highlight of the style for me. I could drink this anytime, get some!

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

awe, maudite, a beer for the damned.
pours a deep copper with a thick off white head that drops into belgian lace (yacka yacka yacka).
aroma is malty, candy sugar, and unidentifed fruitiness.
flavor is rich with malt, candy sugar, a graininess in the middle, sweet corriander in the finish that leaves a tingle on the tounge.
the mouthfeel is very tinglily on the way down.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ml bottle. Pours hazy light brown with a small brown head. Aroma of yeast, dark fruit and brown sugar. Medium-full, crisp body. Flavor of yeast, apricots, brown sugar with earthy hops eventually kick in. Long, sweet, fruity finish. Very tasty brew.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Gold amber hue-thick lingering white head- soft nose of sour cat poo (yet nice and sweet) – Light to medium body – dried fruit, and raisin taste and hint of tanginess– tender bubbles tickle the tongue- aftertaste sweet and softGold amber hue-thick lingering white head- soft nose of sour cat poo (yet nice and sweet) – Light to medium body – dried fruit, and raisin taste and hint of tanginess– tender bubbles tickle the tongue- aftertaste sweet and soft

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really thick whiteish tan head. Left a little bit of lacing. Glowing light brown to amber in color. The smell is intriguing. Creamy apricots, a bit of aclohol, a pinch of spice. Light fruity malt flavor combines with a slightly bitter and alcoholic taste. There's even flavor on the exhale. Smooth body combined with a solid amount of carbonation make for great mouthfeel.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Wow, what a pleasant surprise. I really had no idea that Canada could come up with such a good beer. Wonderful color, great taste, and one of the most unique ales I have had. Cannot tell that this is a strong ale from he taste. It hides the alcohol content well. Wish I had bought more than one but you can bet I will next time. Color is nice and dark. Taste is almost wheaty heffe style. Loved it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a murky, medium brown color with a fizzy, beige head. The aroma is very Belgian smelling with lots of yeast. The taste is smooth, slightly sweet with just the right amount of spice. Rather simple yet it’s not too bold or too weak. Probably one of the best Canadian craft breweries that’s mainstream in the U.S.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy orange/brown, big off white head forms, lots of lacing. Smell is orange, spice, sweet honey, apples, and chocolate. Taste is malty, with some yeast, brown sugar, orange, chocolate and spices. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium to high carbonation, very smooth and my favourite Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I like to call the color I see in this beer as "raisin." I'm not sure if that's apt, but it certainly had a nice look to it. The head is there, but not as lively and foamy that I thought would be present.

It is only until I came online to review this beer that I noticed it had 8% ABV. I'd have to say that the beer is surprisingly pleasant to drink for something that is a bit on the higher end of the ABV scale. The taste was mellow, slightly sweeter than I thought it would be. I thought it reminded me slightly of one of the Chimay beers.

the mouthfeel was just right, without being too malty or too light for me. It was very easy on my palate, and it's something that you can drink easily with a nice dinner.

I think it was very drinkable for something on the strong side. Granted, I think it's my first time drinking anything from Unibroue, and I would be interested in seeing other beers in their lineup.

12oz bottle.

This beer poured a huge white head that took it's time dieing down. The body was a translucent light brown/orange/tan.

The nose had a alot of phenol smells. Hinting at almost a german hefe more than a belgian attempt. I could make out some fruity smells as well. Nothing overlly distinct, some plums, raisins maybe even some grapes.

The taste of this beer was very malty and sweet. Classic belgian dark triple ale taste but kicked up a notch by some darker malts. Yet again, lots of very mellow hints of fruit, plums and raisins. A very smooth alcohol burst and presence acompanied by some very subdued hop, earth almost piney sort of taste.

It really didn't have a strong lasting finish, but finished smooth and full of flavor.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. An amazing belgian style beer from Canada. My favorite so far from Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

The first time I saw this I was just amazed... A huge, cork-stopped bottle with Satan on it. How cool is that? I knew I had to buy it and drink it while wearing a Slayer shirt.

I had to go buy a Slayer shirt, but that was no problem. I mean hey... it's Slayer.

I have to admit that, judging by the packaging, I had expected it to be swill. (I wasn't yet familiar with the greatness that is Unibroue.) Boy, was I wrong. This is one fine beer. I've had many, many more since that day.

It pours a very dark brown with not much head, and smells like caramel and dark friuts.

The dark fruits are prevalent in the taste as well, along with anise. It's a bit sour, but not in a bad way.

This is one of my favourite beers. I'll definitely be having more. And soon. Like, as soon as I'm able to get up and walk to the fridge.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into snifter from bottle

A: Slightly transparent but still dark, almost cola like. Half finger of head that dissipated. Good looking brew.

S: I picked up tones of fruit with a touch of spiciness as swell.

T & M: Wow, I really liked this beer. Alcohol is very subtle. I'm getting used to the Belgian dark ales now but it still surprises me how light and refreshing they are. Bready mouthfeel. Hints of fruit with some spiciness as well. Well done.

D: Highly drinkable, I really enjoyed this beer. Unibroue continues to impress.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

In the Golidlocks and the Three Bears tale, this one is just right! Looks almost like an amber ale. Smells like a Belgian, smells sweeter than it tastes. Definitely taste the clove, banana, and malt. Not a strong alcohol feel, surprisingly crisp and clean finish. Not near as hoppy as other Unibroue offerings, such as Fin Du Monde.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Dark amber to copper. Initial taste is intense fruity maltiness, followed by a slightly tart/spicy and fruity aftertaste. There's an alcohol taste, but it's well-balanced in the mix.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Amber color with nice carbination and bubbles. The thing that stuck out to me was the stubborn and resiliant head on this beer

S - I smelled the yeast strongly in this beer. It was joined by alchohol and some fruity citrus notes.

T - The best part of this dark belgium. This beer is so complex. At first I tasted fruit and malt. Then the beer was tart and peppery. The hoppiness of this beer made it well rounded and made each sip a different experience.

M - Very crisp beer and rather refreshing considering its heavy nature.

D - This is a very drinkable beer - 'Then why did you give it a 3.5?' because I feel this beer is so complex that you need to drink it slow and think about the sips. Enjoy this but do not over-do your palat!

Maudite from Unibroue