Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Reviews: 1,920 | Ratings: 4,547

Poured very cold from 12 ounce bottle to beer challice

A) A cloudy, dark brown ale. Plenty carbonation with lacy head.

S) Ginger, dates & root beer. Distinct smel, unique to Unibroue

T) Referred to as a Belgian Dark or Belgian Strong Ale but doesn't taste "Belgian" to me. A very good ale on its own but in my humble opinion, should sit in a different category. Sweet spice, caramel & ginger

M) Bottle conditioned, abundent fine carbonation. Tastes 'thinner' than it appears

D) Maudite is a good ale with its own distinct taste. Very yeasty or is it hoppy? Very something.... Another good beer from Unibroue

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

[EYES] This "damned one" was amazing, deep in eyes, the head is poor for this style [BSA],
[MOUTH] Strong in mouth,
[AROMA] Full in nouse and the finish is bitter and the after taste dry. GooOooOoooOod One for me! enjoy it with pat metheny back.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL brown bottle served in a chalice.

Poured a hazy, deep copper color with moderate carbonation and a rich, creamy head. Complex and spicy aroma: raisins, cinnamon, caramel, toast, and--get this--mint. Hmm. Relatively light on the Belgian character in the nose, but there's some. Medium body. I actually said "wow" out loud after my first sip. Malt-leaning, but generally tasted about like it smelled. Not that much Belgian character. Smooth, sublime mouthfeel. Alcohol was not at all apparent. Drinkability was pretty good, too.

An all-around solid beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance cloudy brow with almost white head, which stays for ages.

Smell is kind of like a dark dubbel. Nice maybe caramelish.

Taste wa smoother than predicted, very noice. Kind of caramel with light sweetness.

Mouthfeel, caronatin is good, could be a little thicker I guess.

Drinkabilty is alright, mainly restricted by price and availabilty, goes down weel though.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a hazy dark amber. Never ending bubble action and thin foamy head that lasts forever. Smells of dark, earthy maltiness, with a bit of alcohol heat at the end. Taste is the real treat here. Fruit tones abound, though it is difficult to discern. Nice and malty is what comes to my mind. Carbonation gives this a nice, tingly feel, seems to dance on the the taste buds. Feels mighty light for a strong ale, though it is highly drinkable because the alcohol content is well masked. Yes, I would have another.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle picked up in a gift pack. Nice Belgian style ale, amber with almost no head. Malty aroma and taste, Some spice, peat, and a little sweetness. Pretty good stuff.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Deep red brown. Thin head, some swirling on top.

S: Cinnamon, cloves, apricot, yeasty fruitiness

T: I'm not crazy about the taste , it tastes like sea water, cranberries, very salty, a bit thin and metallic. Interesting but not my thing.

M: Sharply carbonated , grainy, champagne like finish.

D: I will finish the bottle slowly, but wouldn't like to have much more than one 12ouncer in a row.

I think this is an interesting and well made beer but just not really my style. I tried to rate it as objectively as possible as I am a novice to this style.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%

The aroma of this brew was hard for me to make out. It's initial pour yeilded a envigorated head of small white bubbles that left no lacing and has acloudy light breon color. My first taste had an initl uh oh reaction but later settled into flavor that I could not identify. Not sure how to rate the taste of this brew. Not a bad taste, but not great. After a while I could taste the alcohol content of this brew. Perhaps 3 good brews in a night is too much for good ratiings! Hmmmm....

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Maudite means the "damned." I'm assuming that refers to the phantom canoers on top of the bottle label who are doomed to paddle upstream for all eternity like Sysphus pushing his rock. Poor fellers.

Clear, dark copper color with floating yeasties. Decent head that dissipates to a crescent shaped collar on it's way out.

Generally, yeast, fruit and spice. Specifically, Bready malt orange rind, ripe pear and cinnamon.

Taste is dominated by an aggressive, course carbonation. Orange creamsicle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Dry, husky aftertaste. Gets solventy as it warms.

Not one of my Unibroue favs.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark mahogany color that is very opague and cloudy, like puddle water. An active cream head, thought this beer was going to foam right over my glass as soon as I started pouring. Head dissipates rather quickly leaving very light lacing. Aromatics are savory, also caramel, malt, a subtle leather like smell, raisin, pear and definate alcohol. Taste is quite alcoholic as well which is fine. Very dry, with a cereal flake like flavor. Mostly tart, wouldn't call it sweet and it's certainly not bitter. Body is very gassy and has a high foam volume. Velvety texture and the alcohol is very warming.
This isn't quite as good as I'd hoped. It's not terrible but it's missing something, more pronounced flavor perhaps. Not alot of complexity. I find Trois Pistoles to be superior to this offering from Unibroue.
This sort of tastes and looks like the yeast sediment got disturbed somehow. It had been in fridge for a few days, went to the countertop to warm a little and then into glass. Not sure if somethng could've happened.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a ruddy brown, semi-cloudy, and VERY bubbly. Tan, loose-bubbled head. Low head retention due to alcohol content.

Aroma of dried apricots and prunes, some banana ester, malty underbelly, and a slight alcohol twinge. Little to no hop aroma.

Tastes initially of a semi-sweet baked pear (well-done), then the alcohol kicks in all warm and the ester bouqet lights up your entire palette, especially the olfactory bulb. The taste of this beer is very much seated in your sense of smell. A mild hop bitterness fades in mid-way through. Finishes semi-dry with a slight bitterness lingering in the aftertaste.

Medium-bodied despite the abv (typical with these Belgian ales). The carbonation is very aggressive and plays a substantial role in the flavor-break, in lieu of hop flavor/bitterness. LOTS of alcohol warmth.

Another great one from Unibroue. They put out some great brews, all of which I hold in high regard.

UPDATE:

[The following is a review of a bottle that has aged about 5 years, a little more. The best-by date is 07-31-05]

Appearance: pale orange, slight haze, thin layer of suds that quickly dissipate to almost nothing

Aroma: sherry, rum, hint of sourness, subdued spice, multivitamin

Flavor: mellow malt profile with a brown-sugary edge; hints of cork, mold, honey, pepper and raisins in the background; little to no bitterness; finishes semisweet with a clovery aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, spritzy carbonation, alcohol warmth

Other comments: A fresh bottle of Maudite is a wonderful beer. But one aged way past its best-by date... not so much. Flaccid and uninteresting.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%

Had a bit of a froth explosion when opened, possibly it wasn't chilled enough. I left the bottle next to an open window on a cold evening. When poured, doesn't produce a lot of head - possibly due to the explosion. Pours a rich burgundy colour with light carbonation, produces nice lacing that just falls lightly. It cradles the glass but doesn't cling. Looks nice but no wow factor.

Quite phenolic nose with a deep syrupy rum kind of character fairly prevalent. Good strong hints of some sweet but tart fruits - strong raisins, some cranberries and a little citrus - possibly mandarin. Rum 'n' raisin nose, really. Smells impressive, sweet and powerful.

Taste has more of the tartness than the sweetness, with a heavy raisiny flavour punctuated by a red wine tannin kind of character. In fact, if there is a beer that is more similar to red wine in flavour and texture, I'm yet to find it. Has a lingering, earthy finish, I'd guess thanks to some Belgian style hops but the sensation is very reminiscent of dark cocoa.

Mouthfeel is very fluid, although there is enough texture to make an impression. A complex drop, this, with a very discriminating palate. It doesn't quite have the explosive delectability of a Trappist ale, but there's a lot to like. I would like someone to come and locate the 8% alc/vol though, because it sure as l'enfer ain't here. But then I've come to expect that from these Québécois geniuses.

3.69/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Buckeyenation for this bottle. I always see it in the store but never get around to buying it. A very interesting take on the style--very fruity.

Poured a reddish brown in color. Very murky red. No real head except for a thin layer of scummy bubbles resting on top. Essentially flat in appearance. Nose is very fruity. Full of apples and pears. I was not expecting that at all. Left me scratching my head in surprise.

Flavor is very sweet with hardly much in the way of hops. Very sugary sweet with more of the same fruit I got in the nose. I can taste the alcohol from the bit of heat I get from the flavor. Overall it kind of makes me think of a port wine. Very vinuous and thick. Extremely undercarbonated. Interesting take on the style and I think it would make a nice end of the night beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Purchsed by GF, she butchered the name so bad I was unsure of what she was going to bring home. Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a standard pint glass. Beer pours a very cloudy brown with cascading sheets of white foam. Massive head 5 fingers at least. May have been a bit cold when initlally poured. Good head retention and not much lace to speak of.
Nose- This smelled a bit like rotting wood, slightly sour, with nuances of over ripe fruit.
Taste- Tastes a bit like the nose, rotting wood, lite sourness, earthyness. Booze is well hidden.
Mouthfeel- Interesting but a bit thin.
Drinkability- Very drinkable once you get past the sour bits. However sours are not my bag. On the plus side its readily available

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled on 6/12/10. Finally getting notes up.

A. Solid brown, almost a dark nutty brown, whatever that means. Cloudy with a hint of golden flair. Reminds me of a dunkelweizen. Good stuff. Slightly tan head.

S. dark nutty nose. Strong, but weak at the same time. Slight spice and slight cognac. Not a heavy noze.

T. Similar to the nose but more intense and complex. Nutty, spices, and a slight cognac. Definitely malt forward. A good example of the style. I don't drink reds that often but this one is worth the effort. Nice finishing bitterness for a malt forward beer.

MF. A nice buzz to the mouth. Good lingering flavor.

D. Pretty easy drinker for an 8% abv beer. A nice Belgian strong red ale. Haven't had too many of this style so it's nice to find some in my area. I would drink again for sure

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A highly charged pour yields a murky brown brew.
Interesting aroma of wood and plum

The taste is complex, almost winelike.
Finishes with a peppery spice that persists.

It would be quite easy to drink a few of these and feel it
creep up on you.

Very nicely done but not my favorite "flavor".

The label tells me it is "Ale on Lees",
Maudite is " the Damned" and the beer is "refermented" (apparently secondary in the bottle) ... all very educational.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

This was a very pretty offering on arrival. The colour had very light cranberry tinge with a crown that was close to two fingers and a wide spread glass cling that did not stop.
The body was medium as was the carbonation.
Aroma was lightly of assorted fruits, predominantly bananas.
Taste was interesting but not appealing. Seemed to me as it had a sweet maple quality to it with a light bitter back.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Had a decent sized head, and good color to it. It dissipated faster than I would have liked. However, the color definitely offset the head issues. Had a great burnt orange color. Not cloudy by any means, but not crystal clear. Let a moderate amount of light through, but given the packaging, that is far from an issue.

S- Somewhat hoppy smells, with a hint of citrus and some light earthy/woody tones.

T- Fruity taste, though not to a malternative extent. Interesting mix of berries and oranges. Much less hoppy taste than I expected, but it is still present. There's a lot of character to this beer, so make sure to take some time to appreciate all of it.

M- Light, moderately carbonated feel. I believe due to the fruits and higher carbonation, there is a somewhat caramelized feeling afterwards similar to that of a cola. Does leave some sweet flavors, but not for everyone.

D- I can't say I was a huge fan of this. It definitely has its merits for drinkability. I do not enjoy fruity beers all that much. Despite this, I would not turn down another glass sometime in the future, and I would definitely recommend the brew (if only as a transition for my beer-impaired friends from their malternative shit). As a result, I have given this a higher rating for drinkability, it's simply not for me.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From notes taken 03/09/16:

In indirect light, looks exactly like a cola soda, right down to the way the carbonation bubbles actually stick to the side of the glass (in this case, a fancy goblet). In the light, you can almost — almost! — see an argument for calling this an “Amber Red Ale,” as it says on the label. That is, it is still a very dark brown, with reddish hues. Quite clear (until the last bit is swirled and added — lees!) and bubbly. Head retains surprisingly well for how fizzy this beer seems. Light beige, thick, consistent, fine, film-forming. Cider-like aromas, bread and toast suggestions, and little else. And what do you know, apple or apple cider notes throughout, although incredibly watered down, moderately tart and not overly sweet. Pay closer attention and just maybe you’ll notice the vinegaresque flavors, the candy sugar, the alcohol, or the phenols. Medium to full in body, effervescent (even though I was reasonably expecting more soda-like feel), choppy, and velvety. Evenly warming. Very interesting Belgian-style ale, incredibly watered down for a Strong Dark, but delicious nonetheless.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer will always remind me of my coworker Chris and his thoughts on Unibroue beers: "Any beer with the devil and a flying canoe on it is not something I want to drink! And their other beer, The End of the World? I mean C'mon!" But despite his thoughts on their choice of marketing I know he secretly likes Maudite, if only in the smaller bottles that don't contain as much yeast.

My bottle is the readily available 750ml variety with a cork. And even though I'm not a very big fan of Belgians, I appreciate the fact that the some French Canadians have done a very good job imitating their styles. Anyway, on with the review.

It pours a brownish ruby red. The slightly offwhite head is made of large carbonated bubbles but manages to blanket the drink all the way to the bottom. In the smell we find some sweetness, yeastiness cinnamon and nutmeg. It's instantly detectable as a belgian style beer. The taste is similar.. sweetness initially, some spice and a mild hoppyness towards the back. The alcohol and yeast are both present.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated and drinkability slightly better than average. Despite its strength it goes down fairly quick but that doesn't mean uncorking another is on the agenda.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into an over sized wine glass

A- Deep and unfiltered reddish-brown with a bubbly 1 finger white head that subsides quickly.

S- Green apples, caramel malt, dark fruits, and spicy yeast notes.

T- A tinge of cider, dark fruits, licorice, caramel, grain, and a subtle hop bitterness. Complex.

M- Bubbly and very carbonated. Almost too much.

O- A very balanced and complex beer, and a very enjoyable one even if belgians aren't your thing. I think i'll let this one warm up a bit.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

I for some reason had high expectations for this one. The label was just cool, the bottle had foil on it, and I am easily impressed.

Poured a hazy dark brownish red color. Thick head with lacing. Smelled of spices and a tinge of alcohol. Tasted cloves, some ginger, malt, and possibly some sort of citrus. It was a smooth drink for an 8%. Good, but not as great as I expected.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a dark amber, a hint of a wispy white head.
Lots in the smell...caramel sweetness, plums, raisins, mixed spices.
Tastes much like the smell, a hint of smoke, dark Belgian yeasts, cherries, spices of cinnamon, corriander and clove. A very dense brew, thick and rich and easy to sip. Definitely a complex brew but not one I would choose on a regular basis.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Actually have to say I tried this beer because of the label (one of the best I've seen) who says marketing doesn't sell. But was pleased after I did, very strong alcohol aroma, nice dark appearance and it kicks. I would recommend this beer to belgian lovers ouot there I think you would enjoy...........CHEERS

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Got this bottle from Pizza Peel in Charlotte NC.

It pours a dark amber brown hued body. It has a thick, froathy cream colored head. Nice steady carbonation throughout the consumption.

Smells of sweet maltiness underlying a mild tartness that isn't quite sour. Little herbal notes and spicey finish.

Taste sweet and tart and malty. There's a mix of caramel and smooth tart apple notes. There's a tart finish without much of a hop pressence. Spices comthrough with cumin and bitter orange.

Mouthfeel is thicker than expected but very smooth.

Drinkability is easy and like many belgians.

Maudite from Unibroue