Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,594 |  Reviews: 1,931

2.76/5  rDev -33.8%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone.

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Serving 750ml bottle

A churning tornado of carbonation swirls up through a shady orange tinted copper body, spiraling toward a dense half finger thick layer of off-white froth. Thick fluffy lacing refuses to give in an impressive display of true belgian character.

Strong aromas of stodgy brown bread, medicinal herbs and piquant spices bloom on the bouquet revealing hints of orange zest and wild yeast.

Loads of slick and sweet bready malts lead a half-hearted charge on the entry only hinting at a fuller richer and rather spicy mid palate suggesting flavors of corriander, wild yeast, cinnamon and allspice. A clean finish ties everything together with more supportive bready sweet malt, restrained hop bitters and hints of yeast. Spices make an encoure performance on the tail end of the finish and aftertaste leaving a pleasing spicy flavor on the palate.
Overall, this beer is yeast and spice driven, while the taste is fairly interesting the flavors are muted and nearly drowned out by slick crystalline and bready malt sweetness.

Mediocre persistence on the finish and a slick medium body don't quite meld with the overly yeasty and spicy character forming a lackluster and hallow mouthfeel. On the other hand a slick malty body lets this go down easy and spicy character lends this beer a bit of complexity to keep it interesting.

This beer is not as tasty nor as full as I remember it being. Unibroue beers seem to have gone downhill in quality recently and each one has an odd yeasty character that doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, I admire this brew's sweet malt body and interesting spicy character but it could have been much better with a thicker chewy mouthfeel, toned down yeast, some dark fruits and a dash more hop bitters for balance.

2.83/5  rDev -32.1%

A- The color of old copper, with a massive head of fine textured off-white foam. Plenty of lace.

S- Smells of bread dough and Belgian yeast - straightforward, uncomplex, uninspiring.

T- Sweet & sour balsamic vinegar and malt. That's about the extent of it here; this was a rather boring beer.

M, D- The feel was sufficiently substantial, but the disappointment was in the lack of inspiration, interest, and pleasure.

Within the Unibroue portfolio, Don de Dieu thoroughly and soundly eclipses Maudite in every respect.

2.84/5  rDev -31.9%

A = Dark murky brownish orange with a big off-white 2 finger head. Head stuck around for a while. Very little lacing.

S = Hints of spice, yeast and old dark fruit dominated by a rather unpleasant "dank" basement smell

T = Followed the nose closely. Some initial faint sweetness quickly overcome with spice, yeast, and a sour/bitter combo that was unappealing.

M = Thin with medium carbonation.

D = Fairly drinkable I guess. ABV is hidden ok.

Not a huge fan of this style, and this is a middling example of it.

A- Reddish w/ thin head

S- Slight hop smell w/ hints of cherry

T- Starts w/ tastes of cherry and plum, but finishes of weak hops taste

M- Starts strong and full, but finishes very weak, dry, and fizzy

D- It's alright, nothing I'd go crazy for

The smell gets you interested. The start of the taste gets you even more interested, but the fizzy finish kind of just lets you down. Overall... cool name, cool tap, but the beer kind of a lets down.

2.85/5  rDev -31.7%

Disclaimer: I don't enjoy Belgian beers.

This one pours out a very dark but clear brown with some golden hints around the edges. Great head retention, about a finger throughout, with little lacing and tons of carbonation evident.

Smell is very herbal and spicy. Definitely a sense of the bready malt along with some cinnamon and other strong herbs.

Taste is not great. Most of what I get out of it is just a bitter taste. It also seems slightly sour, maybe a little sour apple flavor. Doesn't taste natural to me, seems artificial.

Mouthfeel is where it really lets me down again. Lots of bitter taste, lots of carbonation, but other than that it's pretty watery and doesn't do much for me on the way down.

Very drinkable beer, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it, particularly because it is so light and well-carbonated.

2.85/5  rDev -31.7%

12oz bottle with a cool label of Satan. Poured into tulip glass, a gift from my fellow beer geeks. Got this bottle from 'The Bakery' in Farmville.

Hazy deep amber in color. Supsended yeast is noticable. The lace was huge on the pour but died almost instantly.

Smells like yeast and alcohol. Fruity notes are also present.

Not what I was expecting. I think I got a skunked bottle because it didn't taste good at all. High in alcohol, and lots of burn. But the hops helped a little bit. Light body... I know, but I think my bottle was bad because there weren't many up on the shelf and I got mine from the back.

For two fifity a bottle I might get it again but this time I'll let it sit in my fridge for a month before drinking it. I only let it stay in my fridge for two days last time.

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface. I bit too much alcohol in the scent. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove. Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy. Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

decent, but kind of boring to me

2.92/5  rDev -30%

my 750ml corked sample has absolutley zero carbonation. so i'm already pissed at this beer for stealing my money. so, the review.
the color is a crystal clear dark copper of the sam adams variety. no bubbles anywhere. the smell is good. very sweet and sharp smell with alcohol but all well balanced. taste is very complex and not nearly as sweet as i expected, that's a good thing. so that is it. this beer took my money i'm not going to let it take my time. the rest is going down the kitchen sick. cheers.

2.93/5  rDev -29.7%

I love all of Unibroue's beers that I have had, except this one. It's not BAD tasting it's just bland. For a Belgian strong it just lacks any kind of punch. At 8% I would have thought at least I would have gotten some alcohol but even that was muted. Maybe it was an old bottle? It was a high volume place though. I just wasn't impressed. Trois Pistoles is still my favorite of their offerings.

2.96/5  rDev -29%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-brown with a full, fluffy, bubbly head colored an off-white. The head is quite nice, and retains well. Lacing is rather absent.

Smell: Strong yeastiness in the nose, followed up by a sturdy malty aroma. Some alcohol reveals itself plainly. Dark currants, or dates as well.

Taste: Heavily roasted malts. Dark, crusty breads come to mind. The alcohol comes through with candor. Heavily spiced; nutmeg, corriander. The hops are distinguishable, albeit in an abstract bitterness. Some melon. Caramel.

Mouthfeel: Bitingly carbonated. Syrupy on the tongue, with a smooth finish. Activates the senses.

Drinkability: Somewhat filling, with a not altogether inviting flavor. Over the top in its boldness of taste. Hardly a beer I could consume more than one of in a sitting.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange with some copper leanings. Head is fluffy with tight carbonation and dirty-white. Drops to a thin collar in short order.

Smell: Oh Unibroue yeast. You are ridiculous. Loaded with clove pineapple candy and banana extract. Some ripe fruitiness with a grainier fruit undertone. Something like pear or even apricot. Dusting of citrus. Cornbread with a touch of caramel malts. Lightly bready.

Taste: More of the yeast that's on the nose. So much clove and banana candy. Faint citrus hop note. Malts are bready and mildly sweet. Again, I'm reminded of cornbread, if you soaked it in a weird almost Belgian yeast strain. So much clove and weird banana candy. Flavor shows up and disappears in short order. Almost no aftertaste. Some minor clove.

Mouthfeel: Not thin, but not much better Heavy water. Carbonation is on the high side and spreads the flavor around quickly. Clean.

Overall: This was one of the first beers I had after turning 21. Even then it was more surprising than it was delicious. This makes it memorable, but not because I want to drink it again.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pale copper color, with great head, but little lacing. Not much of a scent to speak of, maybe a bit of sweetness, but that's it. Same for the taste, for the most part it's bland. Not bad, but nothing great to speak of. It has a bit too much carbonation/bite for such a strong ale. Not Unibroue's best.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer poured a large white head with small sized bubbles. The body was cloudy and the hue was light brown.I could definitely taste the alcohol with this beer.About all I have to say about this beer is that it was just okay.I was not extremely impressed by the taste.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

Had this one poured into a glass from the bottle. It was a dark amber color with a large foam head. I found the flavor to be quite bitter and heavy, but not in an alltogether unpleasant way.

Maudite from Unibroue