Maudite | Unibroue

Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Reviews: 1,907 | Ratings: 4,491
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle to glass

Appearance - A dark orange/amber colour with an off white head

Smell - Really complex. Dark fruits, malty, spices, clove and maybe some coriander??

Taste - Packs a flavour punch. Malty, spicy, a small amount of bitterness. Yeast comes through as well. You can definitely taste the alcohol though.

Overall - A great beer from Unibroue. Interested to see how some age would do on this beer, would the alcohol become less present? A solid beer from a solid brewery

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

I've got to start by saying that this has been a favorite beer of mine even before I started really getting into beer. I first discovered it about seven years ago and found it refreshingly different.

A- Dark reddish-brown, but not opaque . It looks great!

S- Smells very 'bubble-gum' fruity. There's malt there underneath, but not a 'bready' smell at all. The alcohol is definitely there.

T- Yum! Very fruity, not much hops, with the malt way in the background - even behind the alcohol heat.

MF- This beer sort of 'dances' across your tongue. It feels like it's a combination between the phenols and the alcohol. It's actually quite pleasant - but different. It's not astringent.

D- The alcohol content is high on this one. Personally, I have to buy the 12oz bottles in order to drink it if I want to also drink other beers. Also, it may numb your tongue up a bit.

All in all, a very fine beer. It's complex and unexpected. If, in my youth, someone had told me beer could taste like this I wouldn't have believed them.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a dark cloudy brown color with a thick head that diminished quickly. Smells yeasty, fruity, with hints of spice. Tastes fruity, with a mild malt flavor. The alcohol is slightly noticeable as is the spice. Overall a good brew with moderate carbonation and medium body.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice deep rich brown color
Smells of a slight citrus, and very nice malt aroma
Taste is a great blend of spice and slight sweetness
Mouth feel was a little off of what I was expecting a little lighter then I would have thought but a good finish.
Great beer recommend!

Unibroue have some great beers but I personally feel this one is a little overrated. It is let down ever so slighlty by the dry/bitter aftertaste. For a strong Dark Ale this is a little off-putting. It's more like a hybrid IPA/BSDA. Don't get me wrong, I love my IPA's but this is really neither one or the other and is lacking an identity!
The bitterness in the aftertaste also become more prominent as it warms so get it down the hatch quickly! :)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

I'll have to say, I only noticed about 1/3 of the characteristics that the previous reviewer noted, but I'm sure that's likely a consequence of my underexperienced palate.

At any rate, Maudite is just damn good beer (no pun intended). I notice clove and banana flavors, with just a hint of bubble gum, as well. Carmel and toasted notes help distinguish Maudite from some of the other Unibroue products, although they all have similar, wonderful characteristics.

I had a Chimay Blue last night with dinner and for me Maudite is simply better.

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Maudite pours a nice muddy, chocolate color with little head. Still, it just kept bubbling and frothing like a volcano or series of lava flows. Smelled hearty and slightly sour, almost of pickles. Lots of chocolates and caramels in the taste with a pleasing, alcoholic warmth and hints of those sour, bitter smells coming through in the taste. Mouthfeel has a carbonated bite. This is an excellent beer through and through. Way to go Unibroue.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle. Nice winged devil on the front. (Hands down, Unibroue has the best packaging. I want to hang the labels on my wall.)

I poured this beer into a Duvel glass, and it looks like heaen. A nice, thick half-inch head on top of a hazy coppery brown brew. As far as looks go, its a top 10-er.

On to the nose: Run and raison pop up first, almost like a good Belgian quad. A bit of melon & rip fruit. There seems to be a slight whiff of cakey, caramel malt going on.

Now for the first sip:
Quite an interesting thing... A mouthful of fruit--notably honeydew or kiwi, raison, and plum. Bit of grape and apple skin perhaps? The first sip has a crisp tingle on the tongue which is essentially a bookend to the palate karate that ensues after it goes down. Finish is long and exciting.

As for its texture-- silky, creamy, and, overall, terrific.

Another solid beer from this great brewer, though certainly not my favorite (Don De Dieu takes that cake.) Not on par with some of the crazier and more interesting Belgians, but certainly enjoyable and drinkable. Solid thumbs up.

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance - Cloudy, red-amber. It really captures the light and looks fiery like one would expect from a beer called "the damned". Massive three-finger head at first pour that hung around for a few minutes. This later turned into nice lacing, but as the beer warmed the lacing became extremely light.

Smell - Sweet fruity malts, floral hops and lots of spice. Orange, clove and coriander really come through. Faint yeast, not as prevalent as some of the other Unibroue's.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Starting off on the colder side, the orange is prominent with a yeast/carbonation bite to finish. As it warms, other malt flavors are allowed to bloom. As it reaches optimal drinking temperature, the spices take over along with a light yeast. Coriander and clove. Bitter-sweet and exceptionally crisp & smooth. When you finish a sip, your mouth is clean, ready for another.

Overall - This is one of my favorites. The color draws you in. The flavor and feel really delivers. If I could afford to drink this weekly, I would.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

The turbulant volcanic head, smells of smoldering newspapers with a hint of old rubber that is being pulled tightly and light musk.
Unlike many beers the smell is a fair illustration of what is to come in taste, a smooth incredibly well balanced imbibable reflection of body, spirit and mind.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

Dennis: I have always been amazed at the level of carbonation that Unibroue packs into their bottles without them exploding. Once opened the beer made a mad dash to escape it's bottle only to barely be captures in our glasses. 5 inches of foam later, we were ready to try this. The taste is typical Unibroue, with yeasty, sweet, spicy malts and insane (but enjoyable) carbonation. The taste is enjoyable, but I actually got a bit of alcohol bitter on the exhale...which personally I like. Of course at 8% it's no real surprise. If you like rich malts, and strong beer with some spices you'll be in heaven drinking a beer for the damned.
Jen: Of the Unibroue's that I have had, this seems to be more unique than the others. The scent is of mild spices and citrus fruits. With first swallow, I get a blend of coriander and clove. I also get a nice blend of malts and very mild hops. The ending has a nice alcohol presence, but nothing that is overwhelming. And, as usual, the nice little bubbles seem to dance across my tongue.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Smooth is the word for this beer. A perfect beer for introducing a newcomer to a Belgian Strong Dark - won't scare them away. I'm looking for a bit more depth myself (maybe because this beer follows a Westmalle Tripel so it gets a reprieve.) Unibroue selections rarely disappoint and this one delivers.

Goes down good,
Oh so smooth.
Just like Papa
Said it would

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Caramel brown color, with slightly hazy body and large head, which settles down but sticks around forever. Good lacing. Strong, amazing smell; very complex, sweet and yeasty. Similar flavor; wonderful, with lots of malts and yeastiness, with some clove. I agree with the previous two reviewers about the hop flavor without the hop bitterness, which is great. Smooth, enjoyable mouthfeel with higher-than-average carbonation. An amazing, perfectly drinkable beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Sampled on 6/12/10. Finally getting notes up.

A. Solid brown, almost a dark nutty brown, whatever that means. Cloudy with a hint of golden flair. Reminds me of a dunkelweizen. Good stuff. Slightly tan head.

S. dark nutty nose. Strong, but weak at the same time. Slight spice and slight cognac. Not a heavy noze.

T. Similar to the nose but more intense and complex. Nutty, spices, and a slight cognac. Definitely malt forward. A good example of the style. I don't drink reds that often but this one is worth the effort. Nice finishing bitterness for a malt forward beer.

MF. A nice buzz to the mouth. Good lingering flavor.

D. Pretty easy drinker for an 8% abv beer. A nice Belgian strong red ale. Haven't had too many of this style so it's nice to find some in my area. I would drink again for sure

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a brownish red color with a tight white head and little laceing. It smells like Belgium. Fruity, esthery and medicinal notes with a bit of bread or toffee. The mouthfeel on this is incredible, a nice light fizzy carbonation. Hints of raisin, cotton candy, a bit of bread. Highly drinkable and delicious.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a bomber into a wine glass.

A- light amber with moderate clarity. A fluffy off-white head holds for a few minutes. Good lacing.

S- excellent. A good balance with apple, pear, stone fruit in the front, with a hint of milk chocolate and a touch of alcohol.

T- chocolate with some acidity. Could have used more malt presence, but is still enjoyable.

F- dry, as per style. Effervescent, so the balance is maintained. A bit more throat warming than you tend to get in dubbels, which is why is listed here as a BSDA.

O- a bit bigger than a dubbel, but smaller than a lot of BSDAs out there. Pretty spot on fit what it is.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Beautiful carmel brown color with a big, fluffy head that recedes to about two fingers. Excellent and surprising clarity, given the style.

S: Right after uncorking, yeast hits first, then phenolics (clove, spiciness, etc). Christmasy, I suppose.

T: Flavor is not terribly assertive, kind of watery, actually. Clove, phenolics. Alcohol well masked. It's good...but not great.

M: Again, a bit watery, but not inappropriate.

O: A good beer to be sure, but I doubt I'll seek this one out again.

4.67/5  rDev +12%

Poured from 750ml bottle into my Maudite snifter...

A- Deep cloudy copper color with a small bit of head that recedes back to a thin layer on top.

S- Lots of fruit, almost cherry like when it is colder. As it warms there is wheat and cinnamon.

T- Wheat, cloves, cinnamon, honey, cherries, what am I not tasting. This beer is delicious and shows no trace of the alcohol.

M- Very smooth, a bit creamy but good carbonation all around.

O- I bought the Maudite snifter months ago and just now got around to buying the beer. Should have done it in reverse order. Absolutely delicious beer. Will absolutely buy many times again.

2.6/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer has a peppery taste. i was not very impressed with its flavor.
I did enjoy its bottle however...The artwork is great and made a great addition to my bottle collection.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. From its' lovely murky brown appearance that is inter-laced with red. Through to its warm inviting flavours that remind me of caramel topping on top of fresh vanilla ice-cream. A true delight.

A big shame that I am writing this from notes as it is sadly no longer available in Australia.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Another find devil's brew. Poured a foggy and hazy light brown with shades of red and copper. The head was rather light and fizzy and settled into a light foam across the top of my pint glass.

The aroma is sweet and slighty malty with the yeast coming through strong.. Slightless bit of spice lingers in the nose. The taste is like warm cider and cinnamon. There is a little bitter and acidic twinge there but overall it is very drinkable and quiet nice.

Another find job from the mates at Unibroue

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

This is the beer that was my first introduction to Unibroue and definitely one of my favorites.

This beer poured a beautiful reddish/brown color with a fluffy off-white head that slowly dissapated, leaving a thin lace along the sides of the glass. The aroma was full of yeast, giving it an almost bread-like smell, as well as some spices and hops. The taste was quite complex. It began with some fruity malts before giving way to a spicy (peppery) flavor and minimal hops. It was medium bodied and extremely smooth. This beer is remarkably smooth, given the high ABV. This can be dangerous because this is one beer that will definitely leave you wanting more!

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at the Saucer for their Halloween celebration. Served in a special snifter. Haven't tried this one before--tap or bottle. Surprisingly good, complex, and drinkable. Had with some chocolate mud cake, which I thought paired pretty well.

Dark mahogany color, darker towards the top. Tan head with largish bubbles, quickly faded to lacing, which soon disappeared. Not much bubbling action going on. Served way too cold, but I did what I could to warm it up.

Smell was typically belgian. Spicy corriander, a little citrusy sweetness. A bit of grass. I didn't detect much else.

Taste was surprising--very fruity--cherries, oranges. Some cough syrup at first. Some oatmeal and cinnamon raison bread. As it warmed up I noticed a bit of ethanol.

Mouthfeel was weak at first, probably due to the cold temperature. Became more full as it warmed. Aftertaste still spicy, alternating with fruit.

Good drinkability. Alcohol content surely disguised for the most part.

Is it evil? I'm not sure, but I'll definitely come back for seconds.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

I love Unibroue beers. and will always try a new one. Had this in a 750 ml bottle.

A- dark reddish orange. Bubbly with a thick slightly offwhite head. Copper Rusty color.

S- sweet and yeasty. maybe brown sugar. Spicy. Fruits

T- spice, still sweet, beady, dark fruits.

M- smooth balanced

D- pretty easy. gets harder after a while.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was actually my first Unibroue beer ever back when I was about 18 years old. I drank a 6-pack of it, right out of the bottle, during a high school trip to Montreal. Hardly beer advocacy, but I decided to revisit it, this time with an actual glass!

A: Dark, reddish copper

S: Fruits...pear and apple mostly. standard Unibroue yeast. Slight astringency.

T: Hardly the cornucopia of flavours I expect from a Unibroue Belgian. Far less sweet than other beers of its kind. A bit of tart fruitiness.

M: Thin, watery. Much drier than I expected.

D: I love Unibroue, but this one is pretty underwhelming. It seems to be a divisive beer, with some huge advocates and others who aren't big on it. I fall into the latter category.

Maudite from Unibroue