Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,594 |  Reviews: 1,931

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured a hazy honey brown with champagne effervescence. Thin sudsy head that lasted down to a cap, soapy lacing. Aromatic and exotic. Complex with lots of Belgian yeast dominant. Thick fruits and a little spice. The sweet malt in the background comes to the nose like temptation. The hops are revealed on the palate floral and herbal. The malt is especially deep and full. Peaks smoothly with moderate carbonation and devilishly plays tricks in the glass with a slight reddish tint. Not too heavy to enjoy and lightly boozy at 8%. It’s demure but not afraid. What a wonderful way to keep your eyes on heaven.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

4.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I bought this about 3 months ago. The bottle says “best before 04-10-13”. I wasn't purposefully aging it. I just had it sitting around waiting to be reviewed.

A- Pours a very murky dark brown with some red hues. The color is slightly lighter and more translucent than I remember it being. The soapy, billowy head was very quick to show off the active carbonation, and just as quick to die down to a thin, barely present film.

S- I stole a sniff right after I popped the cap, and I have to admit the first thing that came to my mind was “Oh no! I waited too long and let this beer skunk”. Now that I'm smelling it out of the glass, I realize that I am smelling a beautifully sweet and spicy Belgian funk. This definitely reminds me of some of the sour beers of tried much more so than a fresh Maudite does.

T- All of the sweet, malty, spicy, and boozy flavors I've come to expect from a Belgian Strong Dark Ale are there, but now they have an in your face sour emphasis followed by a sharp, tart finish. Then it leaves its bittersweet dark malts on your palate, and its warming 8% ABV on your breath.

M- Medium body with very high carbonation probably caused by the bottle conditioning. I remember the body being fuller and the carbonation being less in a fresh Maudite, but this bottle has effervescent and playful carbonation that really add to the depth and complexity of this beer.

O- I've always liked Maudite, but I'm really loving this beer right now. Maybe the Damned Maudite is just hitting me now, or maybe the short aging this bottle went through is just perfectly compatible with my palate. I'd like to compare a fresh Maudite to an aged one. In any case, I'm going to have to pick this beer up again, and I recommend you do the same since you are still reading this. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured form a bottle into a snifter. The beer is a deep copper color with a fairly persistent 2-finger cream-colored head of foam. The aroma is of sweet funk and spices. The taste follows but with the funk receding and the sweetness being predominant. There are faint suggestions of hops and breadiness. The mouthfeel is perfect: a full, rich body with just the right carbonation. Overall another winner from Unibroue!

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: dark mahogany brown with a slight red tint, 1 finger bubbly white head

smell: dark fruits, coriander, bubble gum

taste: highly carbonated, reminds me of a trappist... plums, vanilla, dark fruits, bubble gum, sweet malt presence with a sparkling aftertaste.

mouthfeel: very, very carbonated, medium body

overall: All the Unibroue beers i've had aresomewhat similar, and are all damn good beers. This is no exception, if I had this blind I would guess it's from Belgium.

Maudite from Unibroue