Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Reviews: 1,907 | Ratings: 4,493
4.02/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A darkish colour, some spice in nose and a fine drink. Tad sour like some darks. Pepper, strong biting carbonation, much better on tap than in bottle. In bottle, more of Unibroue yeast. Medium to watery mouthfeel. Spice with some malt aftertaste, similar to a cola. Belgian style and unique.

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured with an exceptional head into a wine glass. Very big. Two finger widths. Thick lacing throughout. Tastes like Duvel. Not too much going on past standard Belgian yeast esters. Just darker in appearance. Smooth. Nicely carbonated, but not too much.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Beautiful iced tea hazy brown with a thick, pillowy head that diminishes to form a nice skim coat that lasts for the duration.

Smell: Yeasty and malty with a faint and subtle fruityness.

Taste: Malty and bready; spicy like the nose. Nutty, peppery, with subtle esters, candy sweet finish becoming peppery at the end.

Mouthfeel: Thin and carbonated with a dry finish.

Drinkability: This is a beer I find myself returning to quite frequently. Good session despite the ABV.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly hazy mahogany, with a huge head and a fine coating film along the edge of the glass. Smells malty, peppery. Lots of fruit in the taste, like dark dried plums. Moderate bitterness, and very spicy, peppery phenols. Highly carbonated, crisp texture.

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bright tea color with a small foamy off white head. Disappated rather quickly and had a noticeable lack of carbonation.
Smells complex. Malty and fruity. Sweet malt, some spiciness and lots of tropical fruit. Some bubble gum hints as well.
Rich full malty flavor. Tangy yellow and orange fruits, brown sugar, light yeast tartness and a pleasant bitterness in the finish. Nice balance of flavors.
Medium bodied with a light, almost flat mouthfeel. I was expecting more carbonation. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Best by 3/07 hmm?
Great aromas and flavor but the mouthfeel was a bit of a surprise.
Hurt the drinkability a bit for me.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a very hazy orange color with tons of carbonation and a huge creamy head.

Smell is a very sweet combination of pleasant yeast odors some breadyness and a very strong mango like fruit prescence. Very complex and nice.

Taste is very nice, not as sweet as the smell would indicate, a very smooth brew with a nice maltiness with hints of severyal fruit including bananas, apricots, and dates. Changes to a nice woody and clove finish. A very nice complex beer.

Mouthfeel has a nice medium body with a slight carbonation fizzyness to it along with a very dry finish.

Another very drinkable beer by Unibroue! Had no problem at all finishing off a 750ml of this good stuff.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Unibroue never ceases to impress me. This ale pours a glowing semi-opaque reddish-amber with a great head that is just the right size. Looks great in a Duvel tulip glass. Smells are so complex I don't know where to begin. Sweet malts, freshly-baked sourdough bread, mango, papaya, maybe a hint of caramel. Taste is wonderfully complex. The malts are amazing. The yeast provides the perfect base for the myriad flavors that begin to emerge as this ale warms. I taste wheat, white grapes, mango, plum, nectarine. I taste perfectly placed hints of spices: ginger, cardamom, cloves. The hops, yeast and malt are perfectly balanced in this ale. Of course, I may be a bit biased, as this is my favorite style by far. Mouthfeel is wonderfully peppery and smooth with just the right amount of everything. Even the ABV is perfect - not to much, not too little. Wonderfully drinkable for this style - very close to perfection for me.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

this poured an a hazy orange/amber, nice rich head that retained well,fruit and slightly clovey aroma, other smells too, but can't quite identify, complex, taste is rich creamy and complex, I sense some vanilla, clove, fruit, maybe Apricot?,also malt, very nice, mouthfeel was bubbly and creamy, very smooth, drinkability is fantastic, not a session brew, but one to savor, I really enjoy all the unibroue products.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

this is only the second uni that I thought was well done.

poured a hazy golden brown, almost like Cider. Had a 1/4 inch head that lasted 5 seconds. No lacing noticeable.

Smell was interetsing, Sweet Malt almost brown sugar like, cakey/bready aromas with some very faint hints of spice

Taste was clean, not wuit efull body in my opinion.Carmel Malt and Sweet Bread were the major flavor with some slight spice. The alcohol was not noticeable at all as I drank it.

All in all a nice offering and wuite drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a cherry-tinged apple cider color. Fizzy head recedes to nothing and leaves no lace. Smell's a touch weak, but in general like every other Belgian I've tried: Sweet malt. Tastes of roasted bananas and pepper (as well as other spices), and also some bready malt. Mouthfeel's a bit fizzy at first, and also a bit thin, but both of those improve as the beer warms.

Overall, this is a good Belgian, although compared with La Fin Du Monde and Trios Pistoles (the latter I didn't review when I drank it-good though!), it's a bit weak. Nevertheless, this one hit the spot on this cold, blustery winter night.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle sampled, with best before dating of 5-31-07! Guess they know this stuff will age nicely. Anyway pours a cloudy medium brown, loose off white head, first its rocky and pillowy and then it settles fairly quickly to a film. Doesnt leave much lace. Nose is rum soaked raisins, sweet, yeasty. This is a tasty, complex, dark ale, spicy, phenolic, raisins, prunes, rum, wood, smoke, alot going on here. Alcohol present, but not overpowering. More rum and alcohol in the finish. Strong, flavorful brew. Those Canadians sure brew some strong tasty Belgian beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

The first time I saw this I was just amazed... A huge, cork-stopped bottle with Satan on it. How cool is that? I knew I had to buy it and drink it while wearing a Slayer shirt.

I had to go buy a Slayer shirt, but that was no problem. I mean hey... it's Slayer.

I have to admit that, judging by the packaging, I had expected it to be swill. (I wasn't yet familiar with the greatness that is Unibroue.) Boy, was I wrong. This is one fine beer. I've had many, many more since that day.

It pours a very dark brown with not much head, and smells like caramel and dark friuts.

The dark fruits are prevalent in the taste as well, along with anise. It's a bit sour, but not in a bad way.

This is one of my favourite beers. I'll definitely be having more. And soon. Like, as soon as I'm able to get up and walk to the fridge.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this on tap at the local pub. Pours a cloudy brown color with a moderate head that had decent retention and left nice lacing on the glass. The aroma was very spicy with some citrus and pepper in there. The flavor was very spicy. Lots of fruit and malt in there as well. Peppery. The body was light to moderate. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I like the spiciness.

Poured in a Duvel glass, has a orange dark iced tea color, translucent and hazy, definitely has a lot of centro- carbonation action, with a three inch head that dissipated to an inch after a few minutes.
Smell has a light toasted caramel aroma with light pine/resin slightly lemon hops.
Taste has a moderate acidic toasted caramel and wheat malt; moderate pine, resin, grapefruit, and lemon/lime hops; and has a moderate finish with hints of cask wood, champagne, vanilla, and cola.
Mouthfeel has medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft fizzy carbonation, and a slightly metallic smooth finish.
Drinkability is excellent for this type of beer can even be in the session beer catagory.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Just looked at the numbers I gave this from the bottle. I may have to revisit that and re-review. Off the tap, the beer poured a hazy light brown color with a small head that just coats the beer. The nose was fruity caramel with a light peppery character, but overall, a bit light. There was more peppery spice inthe flavor than the nose would have told, as well as a nice caramel flavor and a slightly bitter finish. The feel was way too thin for me. Where was the body in this beer? Just an okay beer. I managed to drink a pitcher of it, so it wasn't that bad, but I've hd better from unibroue.

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

The beer pours a dark opaque coco brown. Nice tan head. Good lacing.

The beer has a pleasant but slight aroma. I smell some banana & plum and perhaps a bit of fresh cut pine.

The taste is of caramel, malts, plums and raisins. It has a interesting chalky finish. The alcohol taste starts to emerge after a few sips, but it never becomes overpowering. The beer also has a slightly sour taste that I think compliments the other flavors.

Very low levels of carbonations which seems to suit this beer. I like this beer, but it would be a once an evening treat for me.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

The cork popped like a bottle of champagne. Smells malty with a trace of hops and a bitter scent. Pours out a cloudy orange brown.

Taste is bitter malt, with a slight hoppiness that I've tasted in other Belgian ales. Good flavour, but a little overwhelming on the alcohol taste. Not entirely unpleasant, but nothing to call exceptional. Carbonated, but not too fizzy. Nice drinking; goes down easily. Better than many beers.

3.53/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a mahogany brown with a lingering champagne like head. Aroma of spicey yeast, minerals, and malt. The flavor isn't overly sweet, and not to bitter, it's bready, somewhat toasted and yeasty with minerals. I'm impressed with the smoothness of this. There is no 8 % alcohol bite in this, which makes it very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

The votive behind the glass gave the beer the apperance of a fiery potion. Really this one had more in common with wine than beer in the taste department. Was that pepper, apple, saffronn, who knows? It was incredibly complex and I would expect no less from Unibroue. The drinkability is lacking, one was more than enough and this isn't a beer I'll have often. I mush prefer Fin du Monde.
Bottle paired with honey roasted artichoke and spinach salad with a port reduction dressing and porcini tagliatelle witha sundried tomato creme sauce

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

My 100th review. How quick it came....

Appearence: Pours a murky copper with a black flakes. The off-white head is tremendously turbulent, and leaves nice lacing. The carbonation up the sides is perfect.

Smell: The aroma is sweet and spicy. HInts of pepper and citrus poke through, with a strong, intense alcohol backing.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Instantly tart with a strong clove and pepper taste. All malts in the beginning, and a nice amount of hops in the end round it off. I detect and oakish and almost vanilla flavor. The alcohol is nicely masked, but it's still there and actually helps round the beer off. The mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: A rich, complex, and damn tasty treat. A very Belgian-style ale, that is just as good as most stuff currently coming out of Belgium. My first shot at Unibroue and I'm blown away. I wish I could get this around here. Try this.

Bashiba, you're a good man for sending me this one.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours an orangish molassescolor with a cream 2 inch thick head. The smell is of bananas, sweet cloves, fresh spices and a nice earthy aroma. The taste is clean, fruit tones and clean spice taste, harvest spices, light to medium bodied, very drinkable and damn good.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Huge head on this one, might have been a bit of a hard pour. Nonetheless, it shrank rather quickly to an even layer of small bubbles. Cloudy and dark brown in color, dark caramel with a touch of brandy coloring sums it up.

Aroma of dark fruits, some plum and raisin, quite sweet smelling overall. Very inviting. Flavor profile follows suit with the aroma, dark fruits dominate, a bit of sour cherry and plum. Quite sweet just like the aroma. There is a nice malt flavor which keeps this beer in check and adds a good bread aftertaste. Alcohol only adds a slight touch of sweetness, nothing overpowering by any means.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but doesn't detract much. Drinkability is a good overall. I could easily have a couple of these with a nice dinner or just sitting around for that matter.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12/05/04- Purchased at a wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Appearance- Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface.

Smell- I bit too much alcohol in the scent. A bit of the same aroma of the beer I just had (NB Abbey) but a bit sweeter. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove.

Taste- Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy.

Mouthfeel- Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

Drinkability- My buddy swears by this beer and I can see why now. Good deal for $2.39 for a 12oz bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Copper/amber color with a nice beige head and active carbonation. Nice black pepper and coriander spiced aroma with a dark fruitiness to balance. Spiced pepperish and malt flavors .. much like it smells; alcohol seems to be well hidden. Medium bodied but smooth with a spicy dry finish.

Very easy drinking for the style .. wish there was a Belgian Strong Medium Ale style to put this in. :-)

Per Label: Maudite = Damned

Best Before: 10/21/05
Tasted: 12/01/04

($2.33 / 12 oz.)

3.42/5  rDev -18%

12 oz foiled twist top with best by (06-26-06) date, 8% abv listed, ale on lees bottle re-fermentation and serving glass suggestion (goblet, not flute). Aged for about 18 months in my closet and decanted into my New Belgian goblet.
Aroma: Strong spicy Unibroue-Belgian yeast with a nice orange rind and pepper smell.
Appearance: A brown peach color. Scanty off white head that didn’t even try to lace.
Flavor: Vinous, high octane stuff. Doesn’t hide the alcohol, it showcases it. The effect is one of bitter malt, a neat trick from a brewing standpoint, but it just seems wrong taste-wise. Dark fruits typical of the style are represented, plum and fig most notably. There is a certain “malt liquor” taste of added sugars.
Mouthfeel: It numbs me to the core. I really feel the tingle between the teeth and gums, and I can feel it working its way back to my spine. Carbonation is very strong; it turns to fizz in my mouth. I’ll try to let it breathe a bit.
Overall Impression: I fear I’m entering my “Cedar Fever” blackout period for beer reviews. My allergies are kicking in today so my nose and sinus are a bit raw. This beer may be a bit much for me, so I’ll temper scores with previous happy tasting memories. This sample is proving too spicy, too carbonated and a bit lacking in taste. Sad notes for a great brewery and a good beer I’ve enjoyed before.

Maudite from Unibroue