Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,587 |  Reviews: 1,930
4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

This is a sophisticated beer not for everyone. There is a sweetness, but it is well-balanced with a yeasty spice. It would be a great beer with spicy food like pad thai or kung pao chicken. With a deep amber color and a one-finger head, the beer looks great in the glass. Maudite is a wonderful and drinkable beer.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A big and majestic head rises up in my glass and while it leaves minimal lacing presents a pretty crown to an opaque mahogany brew.

Smell is thick with dark caramel malt and dark fruits. A large banana and yeast contingent mix with a sweet alcohol. Some sharp edges way in the back.

Taste is big fruitiness upfront giving way to the strong and deep malt backbone of a pumpernickel and brown bread hue. Bits of alcohol tinged spiciness and yeasty esters provide a dark sugared platform of molasses and toffee. Light hoppy floral close out the finish providing just enough bitterness to lend a clean quality to the swallow. Leaving a dark and sweet crackeriness lingering lightly with fain banana . Feel is creamy and slightly slick with a weight of perfect dimension.

Drinkability is a little too good for a beer of this potency. However the delight in the drinking outweighs the risks. Proceed with a bit of caution and a lot of joy.

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured an opaque dark red-brown with a one-finger creamy off-white head. Excellent lacing to the bottom of the glass.

Smell was very sweet, dark fruit (particularly plum and fig), raisins, brown sugar and alcohol.

Taste was WAY sweet, a mixture of dark fruits and brown sugar. There was no complexity too it, just sweetness. I kind of wish I could have picked up some more flavors but it just came off as a sweet barleywine more than a BSDA.

Medium body with a lot of thin carbonation bubbles.

The sweetness just absolutely killed drinkability for this beer. More than one would be borderline cloying. I'm glad it was a 12oz and not a 750.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 14 oz mug.

A: Deep amber-orange with a lot of sediment swirling in the glass. Pours a dense, creamy off-white head, two fingers thick. No lacing clings to the side of the mug.

S: I'm getting a lot of malts and grain-like notes - a heavy, bready aroma. Some spicy sweetness cuts through the maltiness, notably fresh cloves, perhaps some coriander.

T: Good balance between a grainy, whole-wheat bread flavor and the spiciness from the cloves and the alcohol. Sweetness comes forth at the start, like a caramel or dark honey, but quickly transitions into a nutty, fresh bread note followed closely by the spicy, slightly peppery alcohol. Finishes smooth with the yeasty, fresh bread flavors reappearing with just a little bit of dryness starting to creep in.

M: Like the last Unibroue I tried (Trois Pistoles), I get a slightly powdery mouthfeel. Lighter body, good carbonation.

D: 8% ABV gives just the slightest bit of warming, even though I know its presence in the peppery notes preceding the finish. Fairly well hidden; could easily drink another Maudite before the night is through. Probably slightly more drinkable than its Trois Pistoles bretheren, just because it's has a lower ABV and is better disguised overall, but I would say this beer is probably on par in terms of drinkability with Trois Pistoles - would enjoy another bottle of each regardless.

Another strong Belgian-style dark ale from Unibroue. This one was probably a tad bit sweeter upfront than Trois Pistoles, but that beer definitely had a lot more of a spicy, peppery punch. Either way, I would enjoy this beer again, but until I can compare Maudite side-by-side, sip-by-sip with Trois Pistoles, I cannot say I prefer one over the other. Regardless, another delicious and strong dark ale to suit my tastes.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Phyl21ca gave me this bottle, thank you.

Poured into a chalice at 46 degrees.

Appearance A dark copper color with garnet highlights. There a half finger ivory head, that is foamy and creamy. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is not clear but it is not hazy, it is slightly opaque.

Nose: A rich malty aroma with dried cherries, plums and raisins. There are some phenols and a moderate amount of fruity esters. There are some clove like spices, toastiness, and bready aromas in the beer.

Taste: A rich malty taste with clove spices, toastiness, some bready flavors, dried cherries, plums, raisins, and phenols. The fruity esters are in a moderate amount.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium full. The mouth feel is carbonated and lightly dry. The finish is medium and lasts for a few moments on the palate. I am very impressed with the flavor of this beer. It is very well rounded, rich in flavor, and goes down well. I have seen these beers in the liquor store that I worked at and always thought that they were to big for me. Now a few years down the road I like a good Belgium beer. I was hoping for a bigger head, the half finger head had retention.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a semi-murky red to brown, with orange highlights coming through against the light. There's a nice two-finger head that fades fairly quickly to thinner covering, but that much of it persists. I was expecting a much bigger head, but using a snifter vs. a tulip might have something to do with it.

S - I can pick up hints of it from over a foot away. The first thing I noticed was a spiciness from the Belgian yeast. There's some malt mixed in as well. It might just be me, but I've noticed that certain aspects of a beer become much easier to pick up after I've tasted them. After a few sips, the dark malt is a lot more perceptible than before.

T - Wow. Definitely follows through from the nose. The spiciness hits up front. That leads through to the darker malts. There's a bit of fruitiness to it, but not to the level I've encountered with some other Belgian styles. The alcohol is hidden extremely well here, which I consider a big plus. It's a tough call between 4 and 4.5 for the score, but I'm giving it the bump up because of how well it covers the alcohol(I wonder if my bottle has been sitting for a while, but with a best by of 2011, I'd guess it's fresher).

MF - Lots of carbonation make it really lively and prickly. I think that gives the perception that it's 'light' in mouthfeel, but it leaves a thick, sticky coating afterward. I can never make up my mind over carbonation levels in high ABV beers, but it seems to work here.

D - I'm not well-seasoned with the style, but out of the few examples I've had, this is definitely the most drinkable(each one has been surprisingly distinct from one another). At the same time, I definitely wouldn't have more than one. It was $4 for a 12 oz. bottle, so I'll hunt around for a better price before picking up another.

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

BB 8/27/2011 Pours a deep orange-brown with moderate white head, which mostly diminishes. Aroma of alcohol, spice, pine, fig and cinnamon. The alcohol and spice hit the palate, but surprisingly it is a very well-balanced brew with a good finish. Pepper, fruits, spicey sugar and caramel malt. One of the few beers I've had that seems to warm up the belly - Cheers to my first Unibroue offering!

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from 750 ml into chalice-

A. Delicate 1 finger head appeared when poured. Color is amber/bronze/orange

S. Sweet smell from the malt. Spices and fruit come out with hints of clove, and berries.

T. Starts out sweet. Can detect a hop presence. Spices and fruits, corriander, clove, come out toward the end and the aftertaste is spicy.

M. Smooth. Well carbonated,almost gives it the feel of champagne.

This is a great beer.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

I'm not normally game for anything originating from Montreal (the consequence of having spent many years in Ontario), but I wanted something darker to finish out the night. And so I went with Maudite. And I'm quite glad I did.

The beer had a nice red-brown color to it, which though not quite as striking as the pitch-black look I tend to favor, was already a good sign, suggesting to me that it ought to be a fairly nuanced indulgence. And this proved true.

The well carbonated beer did a good job of not being overwhelmed by its higher abv, having a fruit and carmel taste that was sweet but not overwhelmingly so. Cherries, raisins, and plums came together nicely to form the main flavoring elements of the beer.

I must admit, I was a bit rushed with this beer, needing to catch a bus. So perhaps that is why I found it not as drinkable, especially in a session capacity, as some of my other beers of choice. But I did find this to be a good sipping beer.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml bottle poured in Triple Karmeliet Tulip. Bottle had instructions on opening, pouring, and glassware.

A - Huge frothy plump head that was off-white. It went down to one finger and stayed there leaving some lacing. The color was a cloudy copper.

S - Malty and sweet with a cola hint to it. Spicy wheat with fruity and flowery aspects. A defined citrus tang to it along with clay and bread aromas as well. What a complex smell!

T - Lots of lemon/lime citrus flavors with a light malty sweetness that finishes very light and refreshing! Earthy flavors with some tart, spices, and white grape are also detectable here too.

M - The heavy carbonation leaves a bubbly bite to the mouthfeel. It finishes extremely crisp and refreshing though. Light to medium in body.

D - Due to its incredibly strange flavor profile, for me, this beer's drinkability is not as high as it could be. Towards the end it went down easier. What a unique beer. Never had anything like this.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this on cask at The Dilly Deli. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lovely raisin reddish-brown with moderately low clarity and only a skim of white foam that fades immediately to a thin ring leaving no lacing.

Smell: Deep, syrupy malt aroma with hints of dark, chewy cherries, sticky fruit and yeast.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Really excellent take on the style - lots of sticky, sweet fruits like cherries, plums and raisins with hints of banana. Chewy, syrupy caramel malts act as a foundation to the rest of the flavors. Excellent carbonation spreads the tastes well across the palate and helps the alcohol warmth hang around after swallowing.

Drinkability: Pretty high. The relatively sticky aftertaste and strong, flavorful presence are really enjoyable.

I'm not a huge Belgian drinker, but this could definitely be a quality starter.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a cellar temperature caged and corked heavy glass bomber with one of the coolest labels in recent memory into a Chimay goblet. Hold tight onto that cork, this baby was under some serious pressure but not a gusher. Marked Best Before 2.6.10

A-Amber with marked clarity and a foamy eggshell head that settles rapidly to a 1/4 in froth. (Note, as the bomber poured, the color at the bottom of the bomber was much darker and cloudy with yeast. Much effervescence rising from the bottom of the glass feeding the head.

S-Belgian yeasts, malts, dark and fresh fruits and alcohol

T-Sweet malts and yeasts hit first, followed by dark fruits, then a snappy, tingly kiss of hops with an astringency that leaves an amazingly clean sweetness behind. Alcohol is present in the finish but is very well hidden. A fun little journey that really showcases the complexity of this tasty number. Really well done.

M-Bottle conditioned carbonation that foams the mouth. Slightly sticky, but lighter that one might expect. Damn near perfect.

D-This is highly drinkable. The ABV will definately fool you. I have had this in the cellar for about 6 months and not sure why I didn't get to it sooner. My first Unibroue beer, and definately not my last.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this on-tap at the Craft Ale House, as well as from the bottle. Served in goblet.

Pours a hazy deep mahogany color with a garnet hue.
The creamy white head dissipated rather quickly. The carbonation was visible.

Nice aroma of fruit and sweet malts. I thought I picked up some peach notes as well as some plum.

Flavor is outstanding. The sweetness is evident, but I could not drink it if it was too sweet. Nicely balanced with a touch of tartness. Maybe some faint hop aftertaste, but the malts dominate. I had to double check to make sure there was alcohol in this, nicely incorporated.

Very smooth and crisp. If it not for the ABV, I could drink this all night. Carbonation is nice for this style.

Overall an excellent brew, yet another from Unibroue.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Strange to be rating this live on Good Friday, though Trappist monks may approve...pours a darkly sinister ruby body in THE Maudite glass, with a creamy, thick white head that steadily levels to a quarter-inch... the balance of sugary malt and bitter hops is noticeable in its dense bouquet--neither competes, but the heat is present... first sip in is Hades itself, warming and full-bodied with a swift kick to the throat. Little aftertaste and balanced flavors on the tongue are a plus, even as the throat feels the gentle heat that its name implies. Spices abound in the tastebuds, with a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and a few unidentifiable bits taking the flavor to a complexity most winter warmers would dream of--no syrupy drip or spruce tree pine corniness here... I could see this beer posessing a dinner-table versatility as well as being a desertif. Still nursing this case brother Jer fetched for me in October, I cannot help but wonder what I would drink if I lived in Montreal...what a treat, and what a brewery.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

750ml bottle, corked and caged, pours a dark amber nut brown with lots of foam that gently reduces to a fine lacing of bubbles, maintained throughout.

Smell is sweet and bready with lots of ripe fruit esters, plum and hint of spiciness.

Taste is complex. Lots of yeasty, cake goodness in there, some fruits and raisins, a nice dash of spices, hints of oranges and herbs, lots of active carbonation makes for a lively feel that splashes around in the mouth, but still smooth on the finish. A slightly off, sweet ethanol in the finish... Not overly distracting but there.

Really, quite a nice, lively brew. That tasty Unibroue yeast meets a lively, bubbly drink with a solid body, but not too hefty to scare the light-hearted away. Good offering but I can't shake the feeling that it doesn't quite measure up to either Fin du Monde or Trois Pistoles.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Had on tap at St. James infirmary reno.

Excellent and very unique belgian style beer. Unibroue is so kick ass.

Pours a slightly redish brown in the glass with a small but profound off white head.

Big nose of ripe cherries and malts.

Rich taste wise as well...beautiful belgian yeasts, and berries carried by malts that aren't overpowering or caramelly but just deep enough.

Not incredibly sustained on the finish but other than that, this beer is straight up awesome!

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

This was poured from a bottle; darkish-brown with perhaps a bit of tangerine, no floaters or sediment visible. The nose was al Belgian Yeast, with maybe a bit of molasses or caramel. The taste was great, as are most brews for Unibroue. Definitely didn't disappoint, with toffee, caramel, berry, and almost a cola taste, buttressed with a relatively lively carbonation. Definitely didn't taste like 8%, but felt it later on. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but I somehow feel as if it'd be better on tap.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Live review. Served from 750 ML bottle purchased at Chuck's Fine Wines in Chagrin Falls, OH for $5.99 late last year. Best by date of 5 09 10. Poured into my Gulden Draak tulip glass.

A 3 inch head that sticks around for at least 10 minutes although closer to that 10 minutes it had reduced down to 0.5 cm. First glass displayed a medium brown/ruby body without much sediment at all. I am sure the bottom of the bottle will produce more of that though.

S Well, dark sweet malt, almost molasses like is easily detected and a great Belgian style yeast is also able to be smelled. Really like the smell.

T Dark malt hits me first and then there is a rush of barley, wheat, yeast and a whole lot of grains which is then taken over by a malty sweetness. Interesting in its layers of taste. Within the grain layer is a distinct Belgian yeast taste.

M A bit lighter than I might have been ready for. There is not the syrupy stickiness that I find in other Belgian Strong Dark Ales. Overall the mouthfeel remains big though with moderately elevated alcohol and layers of tastes.

D Really good for this style as many other ones, in their greatness, can only be enjoyed one at a time. I am not going to have an problem finishing this 750 ML bottle (it is two snifters worth).

Notes: I was really looking forward to trying this one as it is one of my favorite styles from one of my favorite brewers. I found it to be a bit lighter than I expected but pleasingly complex and very drinkable. Everyone should try Maudite.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Going from the Stone Ruination to this... hope I'm not ruined...

Poured from a bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours an almost apple-cider like amber-red with about 2 inches of head that rises after you pour it (love that with the Belgians...). Great retention on the head. Good lacing.

S- Not extremely strong, but still present, Belgian spices, cloves, a little apple, maybe some grapes, plums, slight butterscotch when I poured it. Kind of like a spicy Hennepin, honestly. Alcohol barely noticeable.

T- Belgain spices, cloves, plums, cherries, slight funk (but nice, not distracting or gross), Sweet malt (faint). There's a lot there, but it's balanced. Similar to Trois Pistoles, but with less port/wine character and more spices. I really like this.

M- Medium to light bodied, clean, moderately carbonated. Good for the style.

D- This is really enjoyable. I keep going back for more sips because I'm looking for more flavors. I'll be in trouble if I have a bunch of these (8% ABV). This strikes me as more balanced (maybe just more to my taste) than Trois Pistoles (although I liked TP a lot). Very good, another great, complex offering from Unibroue.

Appearance: Cloudy copper with light amber hues.

Smell: Yeast, Red Fruit, Cake Icing, Butterscotch

Taste: Definitely the cake frosting/icing but not sweet - in a good way - a little spice and coriander with the dark fruit spreading toward the finish.

Mouthfeel: All elements have engaged my tongue - great mouthfeel. One of the best I've had.

Drinkability: A sipper for me. I love this beer. Over the top in all aspects. Not easy to drink - but pleasant to drink.

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

I am reviewing this beer with thepeskydingo.

This beer is a dark reddish brown and hazy. Light fizzy head that stays for a while then dissapears. Not much lacing.

Sweet fruity wheat smell.

Initial dark fruity taste that is later covered by spice and yeast. This beer reminds me of a hefewiezen.

Thin mouth feel and some carbination that is good.

This is drinkable beer, very enjoyable

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance - Poured vigorously yielding a 2-2.5 finger very very light brown head. Very hazy reddish brown color. with a good amount of bubbles coming up. Yeast is building up on the bottom of my glass.

Smells of wheat, yeast, dark fruits, sugars, LOTS of smells are attacking my nose here. I like it!

Tastes of yeast and malts. I pick up the dark fruits that were present in the smell, as well as some Reminds me a lot of some Belgium style beers.

Mouthfeel is really smooth. Subtle carbonation adds to the experience. Leaves my mouth coated with the taste, but otherwise finishes pretty smooth.

Fairly easy to drink, leaves my mouth coated with the taste of the contents of this beer. I like!

4.17/5  rDev 0%

This is a beautiful dark red beer. You can see bits of yeast floating in it while the head disappears.
The fruits and malt are detectable in the aroma but in a subtle way; not strong at all but when you taste it the spicy (pepper) dark fruity notes give way to caramel toffee and malt. This is a very well balanced beer that gets more flavorful as it warms Very smooth in the mouth with lots of carbonation typical for the style. The 8% ABV is hidden too well in this delicious beer. One could lead to another very easily.
I had passed on this Unibroue offering several times choosing La Fin du Monde 17 or Trois Pistoles instead but I won't do that again. This offering belongs right up there with the best of a very good lot.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter. Bottle says best before 05-09-10.
A: Nice light garnet color with high carbonation producing 2 inch thick billowy light tan head.
S: Typical Belgian smell with dark dried fruit and a hint of grainy hops.
T: Interesting...the balance is shifted more toward the hops. Grainy citrus notes. There is still a strong malt backbone with Belgian spice, cinnamon, and raisin.
M: Nice and light with good effervescence from the carbonation. Very smooth.
D: Very drinkable. ABV is well hidden. Very good, but not excellent. Unibroue brews some quality stuff...especially strong Belgian ales.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Chestnut brown, fizzy white head. Slight wine red color...

S: Sweet smell, lots of brown sugar. Faint spicy, herbal notes.

T: Very sweet up front, bready/brown sugar sweetness. Slightly dry finish with traces of sourness and yeast.

M: Great body, smooth, good carbonation

D: Delicious beer, very smooth and easy to drink. Highly recommended. Quite pricey and high ABV make this a beer I have on special occasions.

Maudite from Unibroue