Maudite | Unibroue

4.2/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,599 |  Reviews: 1,933
4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours cloudy coppery brown with almost no head and no lacing. Highly carbonated. Aroma of cloves and nutmeg. Taste is somewhat intriguing, I almost bumped it up to a 4.5, but in the end it just didn't have enough special nuance to warrant so high a score, imo. Pretty fizzy in the mouth. A bit of a metallic off taste on the finish.

All in all, a good beer that I would not turn down, but I am a little at a loss to explain the high marks it has received from other BAers. The dark Belgian ale that Trader Joe's puts out annually is just as good at half the price.

3/1/11--Re-reviewing...I'm liking this better than before. Bumping taste up to 4.5.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Back label had a best by date of late 2010. It was a deep red orange color with some yeast bits floating. Tons of carbonation with some lacing. It had a huge off-white head that very slowly settled to a constant foam fed by the carb.

The aroma was bready malt, sweet with some good spices. Good aroma on this one. Saison like almost. The taste was good but seemed off just a little. The start was sorta bland and then kicked in right at the end with a good finish. Might need to try another to make sure this one was good sample. BSDA are hit or miss for me but this one was a hit (a good solid double).

Overall, a good beer that I do recommend. Will need to re-sample before I decided it's rotation fate though.

[resample]

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into a large red wine glass.

A: Pours a clear dark brown, with hints of red. 2 fingers of just off white head, which dissipates fast but leaves a layer on the surface. Good lacing.

S: Sweet, with hints of spice.

T: Very good. A nice sweetness that isn't overdone, hints of spice like the aroma. The alcohol is hidden quite well. The hops certainly aren't dominant, but they're there, and add some nice background complexity.

M: Great carbonation, that feels smooth even though it's quit effervescent. Slightly sticky mouthfeel. Very nice.

D: Very easy to drink, but somewhat high ABV.

This is quite an enjoyable beer, and I'd recommend trying it out if you get the chance.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Orange and amber with a minimal head, and some light lacing on the glass

S - Bready and cake like, with sime spice present, most notably a hint of clove

T - Well balanced, and hard to believe at the ABV. Nice subtle fruitiness (pineapple notes), clove, snd a little but of clean tartness.

M - Nice and crisp, very clean. Carbonation levels were appropriate and a nice little "bite" was there.

D - Ridiculously drinkable for an 8% beer. I could see this one really sneaking up on you and catching up. A very well made / balanced beer thet is a pleasure to drink.

Pours a deep opaque mahogany color with an airy light-tan head that leaves wisps of lace before rescinding into an amorphous film. Aroma is yeasty and doughy with tons of ester notes including banana, plum, and raisin. Flavor is raisiny and bready with a little cinnamon and pepper. Some alcohol is present but not too much. Finish is drying and slightly bitter. Body has a nice heft to it.

3.69/5  rDev -12.1%

Had a bit of a froth explosion when opened, possibly it wasn't chilled enough. I left the bottle next to an open window on a cold evening. When poured, doesn't produce a lot of head - possibly due to the explosion. Pours a rich burgundy colour with light carbonation, produces nice lacing that just falls lightly. It cradles the glass but doesn't cling. Looks nice but no wow factor.

Quite phenolic nose with a deep syrupy rum kind of character fairly prevalent. Good strong hints of some sweet but tart fruits - strong raisins, some cranberries and a little citrus - possibly mandarin. Rum 'n' raisin nose, really. Smells impressive, sweet and powerful.

Taste has more of the tartness than the sweetness, with a heavy raisiny flavour punctuated by a red wine tannin kind of character. In fact, if there is a beer that is more similar to red wine in flavour and texture, I'm yet to find it. Has a lingering, earthy finish, I'd guess thanks to some Belgian style hops but the sensation is very reminiscent of dark cocoa.

Mouthfeel is very fluid, although there is enough texture to make an impression. A complex drop, this, with a very discriminating palate. It doesn't quite have the explosive delectability of a Trappist ale, but there's a lot to like. I would like someone to come and locate the 8% alc/vol though, because it sure as l'enfer ain't here. But then I've come to expect that from these Québécois geniuses.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

I love Unibroue beers. and will always try a new one. Had this in a 750 ml bottle.

A- dark reddish orange. Bubbly with a thick slightly offwhite head. Copper Rusty color.

S- sweet and yeasty. maybe brown sugar. Spicy. Fruits

T- spice, still sweet, beady, dark fruits.

M- smooth balanced

D- pretty easy. gets harder after a while.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Served in a tulip glass poured from a 22oz cork-finished bottle at my house

Pours a coppery orange color, hazy. A strong head hangs around.

The nose is dominated by malt toastiness. Spices are apparent, mostly pepper, coriander, and some clove.

The flavor is a mix of alcohol, clove, and the previously mentioned malt. A sugary sweetness emerges and then dissipates.

A crisp and clean feel, well carbonated and nice to drink.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours an orange copper color. Particularly hazy with a smell bit of tannish head.
Smells strong of clove, spice, and Belgian yeast.
Strong taste. There are spice notes, maybe some rind. Very yeasty.
The flavor coats well and you have a nice lingering spice taste.
Incredibly drinkable for the spice taste and ABV.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

I've had it many times, this is the first time I've had my computer handy to rate it.

Poured a Cloudy Brown with a about three fingers of head. The smell is slightly of spices that I associate with all unibroue products. Basically this is an extremely solid beer and a bargain at the price $8.49 for a 4-pack. A fantastic example of unibroue's take on a belgian style. I personally prefer La Fin Du Monde, but this is right up there along with trois pistoles. I could drink this every day and be completely fine.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Dark caramel brown with lightly visible sediment. Off-white/tan head.

Raisins, brown sugar, and a touch of bread.

Sweet bread, apples, caramel, raisins, brown sugar, with a touch of alcohol on the finish.

Medium to light on the tongue with a punch in the face of carbonation.

I love Maudite... I'm surprised I have not reviewed it before now, seeing as how many times I've had it. This one stays brilliant even as it warms, I will never tire of this brew.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Maudite with 8% alcohol, very aggressive name for a hell of a beer.

A- Angry look for a dark barely able to see through ale. Dark and tainted brown-blackish liquid with nice head that falls to a ring around the glass with nice lacing. Very nice.

S- Smell is of sweet raisins and candy sugar up front. Followed by pruny dark fruity blossom of scents.

T- First is the yeasty alcohol kick with a more refined fruityness of plum and sugar. Very complex flavor is nice to think about when sipping. Big bold taste of a Belgian dark.

M-D- Leaves a malty feel on the mouth with a dry kick as well when finishes. Drinkable but not as most from Unibroue.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is a sophisticated beer not for everyone. There is a sweetness, but it is well-balanced with a yeasty spice. It would be a great beer with spicy food like pad thai or kung pao chicken. With a deep amber color and a one-finger head, the beer looks great in the glass. Maudite is a wonderful and drinkable beer.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A big and majestic head rises up in my glass and while it leaves minimal lacing presents a pretty crown to an opaque mahogany brew.

Smell is thick with dark caramel malt and dark fruits. A large banana and yeast contingent mix with a sweet alcohol. Some sharp edges way in the back.

Taste is big fruitiness upfront giving way to the strong and deep malt backbone of a pumpernickel and brown bread hue. Bits of alcohol tinged spiciness and yeasty esters provide a dark sugared platform of molasses and toffee. Light hoppy floral close out the finish providing just enough bitterness to lend a clean quality to the swallow. Leaving a dark and sweet crackeriness lingering lightly with fain banana . Feel is creamy and slightly slick with a weight of perfect dimension.

Drinkability is a little too good for a beer of this potency. However the delight in the drinking outweighs the risks. Proceed with a bit of caution and a lot of joy.

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured an opaque dark red-brown with a one-finger creamy off-white head. Excellent lacing to the bottom of the glass.

Smell was very sweet, dark fruit (particularly plum and fig), raisins, brown sugar and alcohol.

Taste was WAY sweet, a mixture of dark fruits and brown sugar. There was no complexity too it, just sweetness. I kind of wish I could have picked up some more flavors but it just came off as a sweet barleywine more than a BSDA.

Medium body with a lot of thin carbonation bubbles.

The sweetness just absolutely killed drinkability for this beer. More than one would be borderline cloying. I'm glad it was a 12oz and not a 750.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 14 oz mug.

A: Deep amber-orange with a lot of sediment swirling in the glass. Pours a dense, creamy off-white head, two fingers thick. No lacing clings to the side of the mug.

S: I'm getting a lot of malts and grain-like notes - a heavy, bready aroma. Some spicy sweetness cuts through the maltiness, notably fresh cloves, perhaps some coriander.

T: Good balance between a grainy, whole-wheat bread flavor and the spiciness from the cloves and the alcohol. Sweetness comes forth at the start, like a caramel or dark honey, but quickly transitions into a nutty, fresh bread note followed closely by the spicy, slightly peppery alcohol. Finishes smooth with the yeasty, fresh bread flavors reappearing with just a little bit of dryness starting to creep in.

M: Like the last Unibroue I tried (Trois Pistoles), I get a slightly powdery mouthfeel. Lighter body, good carbonation.

D: 8% ABV gives just the slightest bit of warming, even though I know its presence in the peppery notes preceding the finish. Fairly well hidden; could easily drink another Maudite before the night is through. Probably slightly more drinkable than its Trois Pistoles bretheren, just because it's has a lower ABV and is better disguised overall, but I would say this beer is probably on par in terms of drinkability with Trois Pistoles - would enjoy another bottle of each regardless.

Another strong Belgian-style dark ale from Unibroue. This one was probably a tad bit sweeter upfront than Trois Pistoles, but that beer definitely had a lot more of a spicy, peppery punch. Either way, I would enjoy this beer again, but until I can compare Maudite side-by-side, sip-by-sip with Trois Pistoles, I cannot say I prefer one over the other. Regardless, another delicious and strong dark ale to suit my tastes.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Phyl21ca gave me this bottle, thank you.

Poured into a chalice at 46 degrees.

Appearance A dark copper color with garnet highlights. There a half finger ivory head, that is foamy and creamy. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is not clear but it is not hazy, it is slightly opaque.

Nose: A rich malty aroma with dried cherries, plums and raisins. There are some phenols and a moderate amount of fruity esters. There are some clove like spices, toastiness, and bready aromas in the beer.

Taste: A rich malty taste with clove spices, toastiness, some bready flavors, dried cherries, plums, raisins, and phenols. The fruity esters are in a moderate amount.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium full. The mouth feel is carbonated and lightly dry. The finish is medium and lasts for a few moments on the palate. I am very impressed with the flavor of this beer. It is very well rounded, rich in flavor, and goes down well. I have seen these beers in the liquor store that I worked at and always thought that they were to big for me. Now a few years down the road I like a good Belgium beer. I was hoping for a bigger head, the half finger head had retention.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a semi-murky red to brown, with orange highlights coming through against the light. There's a nice two-finger head that fades fairly quickly to thinner covering, but that much of it persists. I was expecting a much bigger head, but using a snifter vs. a tulip might have something to do with it.

S - I can pick up hints of it from over a foot away. The first thing I noticed was a spiciness from the Belgian yeast. There's some malt mixed in as well. It might just be me, but I've noticed that certain aspects of a beer become much easier to pick up after I've tasted them. After a few sips, the dark malt is a lot more perceptible than before.

T - Wow. Definitely follows through from the nose. The spiciness hits up front. That leads through to the darker malts. There's a bit of fruitiness to it, but not to the level I've encountered with some other Belgian styles. The alcohol is hidden extremely well here, which I consider a big plus. It's a tough call between 4 and 4.5 for the score, but I'm giving it the bump up because of how well it covers the alcohol(I wonder if my bottle has been sitting for a while, but with a best by of 2011, I'd guess it's fresher).

MF - Lots of carbonation make it really lively and prickly. I think that gives the perception that it's 'light' in mouthfeel, but it leaves a thick, sticky coating afterward. I can never make up my mind over carbonation levels in high ABV beers, but it seems to work here.

D - I'm not well-seasoned with the style, but out of the few examples I've had, this is definitely the most drinkable(each one has been surprisingly distinct from one another). At the same time, I definitely wouldn't have more than one. It was $4 for a 12 oz. bottle, so I'll hunt around for a better price before picking up another.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

BB 8/27/2011 Pours a deep orange-brown with moderate white head, which mostly diminishes. Aroma of alcohol, spice, pine, fig and cinnamon. The alcohol and spice hit the palate, but surprisingly it is a very well-balanced brew with a good finish. Pepper, fruits, spicey sugar and caramel malt. One of the few beers I've had that seems to warm up the belly - Cheers to my first Unibroue offering!

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from 750 ml into chalice-

A. Delicate 1 finger head appeared when poured. Color is amber/bronze/orange

S. Sweet smell from the malt. Spices and fruit come out with hints of clove, and berries.

T. Starts out sweet. Can detect a hop presence. Spices and fruits, corriander, clove, come out toward the end and the aftertaste is spicy.

M. Smooth. Well carbonated,almost gives it the feel of champagne.

This is a great beer.

3.46/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm not normally game for anything originating from Montreal (the consequence of having spent many years in Ontario), but I wanted something darker to finish out the night. And so I went with Maudite. And I'm quite glad I did.

The beer had a nice red-brown color to it, which though not quite as striking as the pitch-black look I tend to favor, was already a good sign, suggesting to me that it ought to be a fairly nuanced indulgence. And this proved true.

The well carbonated beer did a good job of not being overwhelmed by its higher abv, having a fruit and carmel taste that was sweet but not overwhelmingly so. Cherries, raisins, and plums came together nicely to form the main flavoring elements of the beer.

I must admit, I was a bit rushed with this beer, needing to catch a bus. So perhaps that is why I found it not as drinkable, especially in a session capacity, as some of my other beers of choice. But I did find this to be a good sipping beer.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml bottle poured in Triple Karmeliet Tulip. Bottle had instructions on opening, pouring, and glassware.

A - Huge frothy plump head that was off-white. It went down to one finger and stayed there leaving some lacing. The color was a cloudy copper.

S - Malty and sweet with a cola hint to it. Spicy wheat with fruity and flowery aspects. A defined citrus tang to it along with clay and bread aromas as well. What a complex smell!

T - Lots of lemon/lime citrus flavors with a light malty sweetness that finishes very light and refreshing! Earthy flavors with some tart, spices, and white grape are also detectable here too.

M - The heavy carbonation leaves a bubbly bite to the mouthfeel. It finishes extremely crisp and refreshing though. Light to medium in body.

D - Due to its incredibly strange flavor profile, for me, this beer's drinkability is not as high as it could be. Towards the end it went down easier. What a unique beer. Never had anything like this.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

Had this on cask at The Dilly Deli. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lovely raisin reddish-brown with moderately low clarity and only a skim of white foam that fades immediately to a thin ring leaving no lacing.

Smell: Deep, syrupy malt aroma with hints of dark, chewy cherries, sticky fruit and yeast.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Really excellent take on the style - lots of sticky, sweet fruits like cherries, plums and raisins with hints of banana. Chewy, syrupy caramel malts act as a foundation to the rest of the flavors. Excellent carbonation spreads the tastes well across the palate and helps the alcohol warmth hang around after swallowing.

Drinkability: Pretty high. The relatively sticky aftertaste and strong, flavorful presence are really enjoyable.

I'm not a huge Belgian drinker, but this could definitely be a quality starter.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a cellar temperature caged and corked heavy glass bomber with one of the coolest labels in recent memory into a Chimay goblet. Hold tight onto that cork, this baby was under some serious pressure but not a gusher. Marked Best Before 2.6.10

A-Amber with marked clarity and a foamy eggshell head that settles rapidly to a 1/4 in froth. (Note, as the bomber poured, the color at the bottom of the bomber was much darker and cloudy with yeast. Much effervescence rising from the bottom of the glass feeding the head.

S-Belgian yeasts, malts, dark and fresh fruits and alcohol

T-Sweet malts and yeasts hit first, followed by dark fruits, then a snappy, tingly kiss of hops with an astringency that leaves an amazingly clean sweetness behind. Alcohol is present in the finish but is very well hidden. A fun little journey that really showcases the complexity of this tasty number. Really well done.

M-Bottle conditioned carbonation that foams the mouth. Slightly sticky, but lighter that one might expect. Damn near perfect.

D-This is highly drinkable. The ABV will definately fool you. I have had this in the cellar for about 6 months and not sure why I didn't get to it sooner. My first Unibroue beer, and definately not my last.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this on-tap at the Craft Ale House, as well as from the bottle. Served in goblet.

Pours a hazy deep mahogany color with a garnet hue.
The creamy white head dissipated rather quickly. The carbonation was visible.

Nice aroma of fruit and sweet malts. I thought I picked up some peach notes as well as some plum.

Flavor is outstanding. The sweetness is evident, but I could not drink it if it was too sweet. Nicely balanced with a touch of tartness. Maybe some faint hop aftertaste, but the malts dominate. I had to double check to make sure there was alcohol in this, nicely incorporated.

Very smooth and crisp. If it not for the ABV, I could drink this all night. Carbonation is nice for this style.

Overall an excellent brew, yet another from Unibroue.

Maudite from Unibroue