Maudite | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Without a doubt Unibroue’s best-known beer, La Maudite is inspired by abbey beers and Belgian double-style ales. It first hit the shelves in 1992 and took the province by storm with its 8% alcohol content, making it the first strong beer available in grocery stores.

That’s where the idea came to tie its name and branding to a pact signed with the devil. The illustration of the “chasse-galerie” (or flying canoe) from a beloved Quebec legend captures the spirit of the beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,702 |  Reviews: 1,967
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Is this Belgian beer? No but it might as well be.

Pours a nice coppery color with head that stays around and keeps the lace.

I can smell vanilla and banana with malt. Taste is exceptional Good carbonation and bite. Fruit such as grapes and plums,malt and sweetness are prevalant in this one.

This is one of those beers that is way too drinkable for a strong one. I live in Iowa and can't wait for it to be sold here. This is one of the best beers availiable. Imported or exported.

Note: 10-08-08 This beer comes across as a little dry with not as much depth. Still a good one.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Originally sampled on 4 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This beer has a dark orange color. It is opaque.
Flavor: It is slightly sweet and the alcohol is well hidden, which I always appreciate. I want to taste the flavors in the beer, not the alcohol. All in all, it's a very nice drinkable beer

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Nutty and yeasty aroma. Deep and subtle with a backbone of spice.

Color is a dark butterscotch, swirly, with a thin, light tan head.

Taste is malty at first, then sharp and peppery, with good carbonation. Very chewy and foamy in the mouth, with a slick, burning aftertaste. More creamy than I would have thought likely, which makes this a very drinkable beer. The maltiness at first is creamy, then it becomes slick and peppery, with a candy sweetness around the edges.

Another great beer from Unibroue.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

I had this one in a 12oz. bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip-style glass. It pours a deep red with 2 fingers of head that die quickly. There is no lacing left on the glass at all. There is an aroma of fruit and spice, with just a bit of honey. The smell really lures you in. The taste is a bit of fruit, maybe some cherry, with some cloves and a tiny bit of yeast. There is just the right amount of hops too. The mouthfeel is strong, but a little bubbly. Even at 8%, this is very drinkable and nice on a cool spring evening.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Cloudy amber/dark orange. Huge frothy head. Plenty of active carbonation. A very lively pour even though the head doesn't hold up forever.

Smell: Big and malty. Plenty of spice in the nose. Hints of some fruit and underlying sweetness. There are earthy qualities as well.

Taste: Dark and rich maltiness. Complex fruit & spice flavours are present throughout. Noticeable hints of clove and maybe a pinch of cinamon. Dark fruitiness with sweet hints of caramel. Some woody notes as well. Great body and pleasant balance. A dry, earthy finish with some tartness and a warm alcohol kick.

Mouthfeel: Lively and fresh. Plenty of carbonation and sparkling qualities. Smooth out towards the end.

Drinkability: A great, full beer. I could drink this almost anytime, unless the weather is too hot. This is one of my personal favorites. One of Unibroue's absolute best.

3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

My only two Belgian glasses are Maudites, so it is high time I actually drink a Maudite from one of them. Ridiculous head, 3+ fingers. In ESPN's Stuart Scott terms, it was stupid big. I had to pause for a minute or two before I could pour the rest in. Kind of a dirty orange color with flakes of sediment in the head and body, reminiscent of Westie12. Head retention is solid with a big lump of foam in the middle.

Yeasty aroma and initially lots of spice, but that tames down after the initial vapors disperse. Still, it has kind of a peppery 'nose feel', tickles a bit on the smell.

Taste has a solid malty presence up front, intensified by the alcohol level. Spicy and bubbly, a nice combination, and a bready taste towards the end. Also more malt notes as well and it gets sweeter towards the end, fruitier.

Mouthfeel is substantial, pleasantly smooth, more than adequate for the style, gives it a little more credibility.

Drinkability - on one hand, the high alcohol detracts a bit, but then again, it is decent enough on all fronts to make it a good, if not potent, session brew.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

A nice reddish brown with heavy cream colored head, this brew smells of candi brown sugar,citrusy hops, and bready yeast, a complex swirl of aromas. The beer starts off brown sugar with a toasted malt balance and a light citrus hop in the backround. The tiny bubbles makes for a light body that floats in the mouth. A nice after dinner brew but not as complex as some of their other offerings.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured an ice tea color, a red-orange with a dull glow. Had a big off-white foamy head, healthy amounts of carbonation, and not much lace.

Smelled of the trademark Unibroue yeast, raspberries, tart apples, bread, all with a vinuous edge. Taste was creamy-yeasty at first, but then comes an apparent smooth amber sort of ale taste. Flavors of raspberry, apple, super quiet hops, and whiskey notes. Has a sweet fruit and moderate malt with a slight bitter and acidic twang at the end.

With a moderate length finish and a slightly oily mouthfeel, this beer gave no sense of the alcohol. I've had 330 ml bottles in a bar and I had a 750 bottle aged for about a year or so, and the former is much better than the latter. With age it mellowed without anything new emerging, and this beer is much better when it punchy.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

This strong ale pours a deep dark blood orange. There was a head after the pour but it disappeared without a lace. This is a noisy brew. When I went for my first whiff if aroma all I heard was the head fizzing in my ears. There is a malt aroma that’s accompanied with hints of citrus and yeast. The taste is smooth. It started with and is mostly malt with a smooth sweet finish. This is a very drinkable brew BUT watch out for the 8.0%!

On the pour, I had to work to get a decent head on this one -- though once it was formed, it stayed reasonably well. It slowly shrunk into a creamy, cratery foam on top. The colour is a slightly cloudy golden amber, deepening to a rusty orange.

Malty, citrusy aromas are present. The flavour is spicy and clean, with a hint of bittery hops and more citrusy bitter. Biscuit flavours build. Yeast and sweet spice are also pleasant and delightful. It's refreshing and tasty.

The mouth feel is very nice and rich as well. It's full and lush, and somewhat warming. The light carbonation keeps it lively without annoying. Overall this is a very drinkable beer.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber, reddish-copper, lovely looking thing of a brew. The head is about a centimeter. A thin layer remains for the length of the beer. Smells lightly of fruit. Tastes just a tad sweet, some spices. Fantastic. And even better mouthfeel! Creamy and rich. You can hardly taste any alcohol. Heavy in the belly, but highly drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Another great label from this brewery.
Bottle Fermentation

This beer poured into the glass an amber/orange color that was cloudy but not overly cloudy as I could see plenty of carbonation bubbles trying to escape the glass. It produced a light beige colored head that was thick, rich, sticky and long lasting. Decent lace was produced from top to bottom. The aromas that came from the glass were of big fruits (oranges, pears and apples), deep malt, caramel, bread, pine nuts, alcohol (slight) and spices. The flavors that danced across my tongue were of fruits (oranges, light pears, and apples), roasted malts, sweet malts, hops ( pine and floral in nature) slight alcohol, bread, and spices. As far as aftertaste, I noticed that when first poured (cold) a dry hop taste was present, but as it warmed, it changed to a sweet malty – with a slight alcohol – taste. This is a creamy, sweet and chewy beer. Easy to drink and very flavorful. This beer seemed different then the others, seemed to be more simple in nature, not overly complex, but I enjoyed it just as much as the others I have had from this brewery. 2 thumbs up.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This is one great beer. Had this one with my friends the other night...they've posted too. As the said, we had this one together when we knew nothing about beer and hated it. Ohhh have we come a long way. Unibroue is slowly becoming my favorite brewery in the world...though Ommegang is holding on slightly ( gotta support the locals).

This pours to a marvelous deep brown-orange which glows as light passes through. The taste is light and citrusy, with malt complexities too boot and a utlra smooth finish. It reminded me alot of Chimay Red which I had recently and I would like to taste them side to side. Great head with above average retention.

This beer lasted me about a half hour because I did NOT want to see it go. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I had Maudite for the first time about 8 months ago, and shamefully i have to admit i didn't like it at the time. My first tasting was at the very beginning of my discovery of craft beers, and since then I?ve sampled Maudite 3 other times, tonight being the 3rd time. Each time I?ve tasted this wonderful beer I?ve enjoyed it more. This wonderful ale pours a hazy deep orange/amber with a decent head and reasonably good retention. The smell is yeasty yet buttery with hints of fruit and spice. The taste is also wonderfully spicy and fruity with hints of yeast and just a touch of alcohol. Maudite exhibits a near perfect combination of flavors. The mild carbonation and medium body combined with the tremendous flavor and aroma make this an extremely enjoyable drink. You get no sense of the 8%ABV. This is a truly amazing beer and I?m glad I gave it a several more chances.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Holy cow, this beer tastes like heaven. It's so complex that I think any attempt to apply qualitative descriptors would be in vain. Words cannot describe how delicous this beer is. Everything about Maudite is very well balanced, from the alcohol and hops to the spices and fruit. This is the best I've ever tasted in the style. Rock and roll, Unibroue.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Maudite on tap is heavenly! I had these samples at the wonderful McLeans pub in Montreal, QC. This beer was presented to me with a nice, devel-ish dark red amber colour with a small head. The aromas were very spicy and yeasty. The taste was big, bold and wonderful. This beer tastes much different on tap than it does in bottles. It is very spicy, more yeasty and less boozy tasting. The mouthfeel is perfectly balanced and the drinkability is also exceptional. I had 3 glasses of this stuff before I knew it and I was well on my way to getting drunk...After-all, this stuff is 8% ABV!
Cheers!
-F

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Well I'll be damned, a flying canoe!

First off, the bottle is right when it says "uncommonly smooth." I'd say it's easily Unibroue's smoothest. The ale and the head fought a little battle in my glass and the head just walked all over the ale, like a Panzer rolling over a Croissant stand. Orange-ish color, and come to think of it, almost orange-ish taste. Unlike a few of Unibroue's more celebrated beers, the yeast plays but a supporting role in Maudite. Sweet, alcoholic, tangy, fruity... I'm loving this one more and more as I reach the bottom of the 750.

Don't ask why, but in searching for the words to describe the carbonation, I could only think of that scene in Logan's Run where the 30-year olds float to the top of that arena and get zapped. I guess Unibroue's whole mythical/apocalyptic theme has me thinking of death. But Maudite just has me loving life!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Maudite - "the damned"...well call me a sinner and send me to hell!! Pours in my guitar goblet a nice hazy orange-yellow with a huge foamy white head after a slightly aggressive pour. The scent is yeasty and fruity, as I have come to expect from unibroue This is one drinkable potent brew. It's spicy but spiced to match the taste, which is bready & fruity. I could drink this all night (with dire consequences) The carbonation only helps the drinkability. One of the best. Cheers Unibroue, eh?

- Added Note. 7/21/03 Came across a bad bottle of this last night. Absolutely no carbonation, and the cork was tight. Not the first time I got a suspect bottle. Pretty awful, but no change to review. Where's the QC?

4.62/5  rDev +10%

The label's wrong! Rather than showing the damned, this beer should show a bunch of contented BAs passing into some sort of dreamy afterlife with ancestors, vestal virgins, football, and lots of quality beer -- or something similar.

Beautiful dark orangish color with an offwhite head. Very spritzy, seltzer-like mouthfeel to it. Taste is complex: fruits and peppery liveliness. You know the beer is kind of heavy, but it feels like a feather on your tongue. Damn good beer. It was flavorful and strong enough to compete with my Jamaican Jerk Chicken Sandwich at lunch today for sure. Tasty.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

This is definately among my top beers. It also has the coolest label I've ever seen. It pours a hazy amber color with a huge, well-retained head. Amazing spicy aroma and taste. I presume that they added some sort of spices to this. I'd like to find out which ones, because this sounds like it would be fun as a homebrew. Apparently maudite means damned. I never thought that being damned was a good thing.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The most poundable dubbel I know. Pours Autumn under Winter. Aromas conjure images of honey-drizzled sopapillas with slices of ripe pear. A draught is sugary, but light sugar, spun and quick and chased off by a dusting of spicy alcohol finished with a lop-sided hop grin. Tingly full and delicious.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

How can anyone not enjoy the great “damned one?” I love all of the Unibroue brews that I’ve had, so far, and this one’s no exception. It pours a dark orange/brown color topped off with a huge fluffy, white froth that settles down leaving a bubbly 1/4-inch head. There is a nice burnt aroma that escapes from the glass with some sweet plum scents intermixed. The taste is extremely complex, there are so many flavors going on. The first taste was of charred wood, followed by the richness of malt and sweet caramel, finished off with an ever so slight spiciness of clove. This a good, solid medium-bodied beer. The only thing that lowers the drinkability rating a bit, is the high alcohol content, I can’t have more than 2 or 3 in one setting.

4.82/5  rDev +14.8%

This is one hell of yummy offering by the awesome Unibroue guys in Quebec. 750ml corked bottle, pop this sucker and immediately smell the mingling of sweet spices and warming alcohol. Oh yeah...it smells absolutly amazing, I just loved the sweet spicyness, lets see, theres some fruity sweets of orange peels, some nutmeg, ginger, clove, belgian-like yeast, and heck through in some roasted peppers. Then the taste is super rich and creamy smooth with lots of spicy action and tingly sweetness with a great roasty caramel malt backing thats very bold and smooth. The spice is peppery and fruity. Its got alot of things happening in the taste and feel, its just great to sip and ponder what the hecks all in this thing. The feel is medium heavy bodied, solid, silky smooth and a little bit creamy, that starts sweet, citrusy and malty then goes into the spice level and fades nicely into a fresh and drying bitter hop. Nothing here is overwhelming or overpowering, its all balanced in so softly its hard to phathom. This is one super awesome beer, highly recommend getting some.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Probably my favorite of the Belgian browns (reds? Dubbels?), compared with Chimay Red, Corsendonk brown, Oerbier, Val Dieu Brown, etc. I like pales best, and the darker (Chimay Blue, Trios Pistoles) next, as the browns seem to be a little sweeter to my taste. Maudite pours with a huge, foamy - somewhat carbonated head. Nice, malty taste and smell. Somewhat biscuity, but just a little on the sweet side. Quite a warmer, don't play around with this beer, as it will boot you in the ars!

2.96/5  rDev -29.5%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors.

Maudite from Unibroue