Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Maudite | Unibroue

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

firstprev| 4551-4575 | 4576-4600 | 4601-4625  | next → last
Ratings: 4,614 |  Reviews: 1,936
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This is a truly exceptional beer. It has a nice malt flavor, but the spicy and sweet undertones really set it apart. From the first sip, I was hooked on this one. Fortunately my corner store always has it in stock. However, after drinking this on a fairly regular basis since my original review, I'm lowering my review on taste and mouthfeel jsut a bit.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Maudite pours a nice, cloudy, dark copper color. The big creamy head, which I almost missed…dwindles to nill. A faint fuity aroma on the nose, and on the palate a little zestiness as well. Medium body w/ light carbonation. The finish is that of zestiness and a bit of warming action going on. Overall a good la bière!

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

i like it a lot, very smooth, not to cloying and sweet and good malt profile, a very very decent beer.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%

The color is nice. Medium dark reddish brown and cloudy. The head is a bit foamy and dissapates quickly. It has a mild pleasant smell. The flavor lacks some of the complexity that I would expect from a Belgian style brew, but the more I drank, the more I liked it. The alcohol only leaves the slightest footprint on the tongue -- just enough to let you know it's there. Overall, a good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Maudite comes through a cloudy, medium-brown, hazy color. Loads of yeasties in the bottle (keeps you regular!). A big creamy head soon recedes to a small ring of lace. A nice fruity, yeasty nose...mmmm.."come to Papa!". Medium body, and a touch of carbonation on the tongue... It's fruity to start (in a tropical fruit type of manner), with a spicy, dry finish. Similar to Trois Pistoles, but more pronounced. Unibroue does some nice work!

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Well I'll be damned (literally, as Maudite means damned).
Sorry at this weak stab at humor. I'll blame the evil powers of this tempting and devious beverage.
What can one say about this brew to do it justice?
Outstanding with a sweet,solid malt background that has some fruitness. Typical Unibroue spiciness ensues. Dark amber in color. Head stays for a little while before departing for parts more holy.
I think there are some dark forces at work in this beer.
All I hear right now is the voice in my head:
DRINK ANOTHER, you love the beer so,
DRINK ANOTHER.
Well, time to heed to my delerium, and I suggest you do the same.
Grab some and enjoy. Truely a brewing masterpiece.
Let me know which circle of hell serves Maudite...so I can aim appropriately.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, exactly. Don't get me wrong, it's good, just not spectacular. I got a lot of the spiciness, and it was very pretty looking, but I didn't taste any fruit, and the spice was overwhelming. Although I might have just had a bad bottle...I'll try again sometime.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Drink and be happy. Nice balance, with reserved fruityness, followed with some spicy bite. The yeast flavor is well integrated.

4.76/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer is a step above your ordinary fine beer. It has a mystique and complexity that is not often matched.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Dark amber to copper. Initial taste is intense fruity maltiness, followed by a slightly tart/spicy and fruity aftertaste. There's an alcohol taste, but it's well-balanced in the mix.

Exceptional, like all Unibroue beers. It has a complex drinkability that defies its strength.

Superb! Hail Unibroue!

A fine Belgian-style beer at less the cash.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Presentation: "Maudite", translates to "Cursed." Lost souls in a canoe (heading straight for hell), an evil devil with crossed arms greets and "Beer On Lees" (beer on yeast) are all present on the label. Bottle refermented in a 750ml brown.

Appearance: Wood stain in colour. Pours extremely frothy, as a champagne, and settles into a thin creamy ring that clings to the sides of the glass. Some haze appears in the glass.

Smell: Spicy aromas, alcohol notes and fruity esters. Yeast aromas hit the nose as you get to the dregs of the bottle.

Taste: Whoa! This brew has some complexities! At first, fruit and higher kilned malt flavours coat the palate. Then, a sudden black pepper spiciness, tartness and fruitiness come into domination -- going spicy once again at the end. A very subtle hop flavour is noted which gives the brew some balance.

Notes: This is an outstanding Belgian-style ale! Comparable to a fine wine, easily accompanying most cuisine styles. Very drinkable for an 8% abv brew, a tease beer as you want more. If this is "cursed", damn us to hell!

firstprev| 4551-4575 | 4576-4600 | 4601-4625  | next → last