Maudite | Unibroue

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,601 |  Reviews: 1,933

2.52/5  rDev -40%

2.55/5  rDev -39.3%

750 ml.bottle poured into a goblet,very hazy pale murky yellowy brownish color,kinda like swamp water,very nice 2 finger creamy white head,to me,the best thing about this beer,with decent lacing.
Smells very spicy with a banana and pear and peppery hilites,with sweet malts,and maybe some east indian spices,well,to my nose anyways.Taste's sweet with the banana comming through along with the spices and the pepper at the end and also a dryness,not my type of flavoring.Mouthfeel is medium heavy with some boldness to it and hard carbonation,the east indian spices or whatever they are sure hit on the aftertaste,this is not my cup of tea here,i'm 0 for 2 on these Unibroue beers,very dissapointed on this type of flavor,,,,Sorry,,,,But just can't acquire the taste for this.

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Good, but not quite what I expected. My rating is certainly going to be outside of the average deviation. I'm not really a fan of the Belgian style with strong citric/flowery/apple flavors. Every sip made me cringe a little bit with the aftertaste. Great appearance, very thin head/lacing despite a lot of carbonation, ok mouthfeel but I just couldn't get past the flavor.

2.6/5  rDev -38.1%

This beer has a peppery taste. i was not very impressed with its flavor.
I did enjoy its bottle however...The artwork is great and made a great addition to my bottle collection.

2.6/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

I haven't met a Belgian Ale I didn't like until this one. I was excited at first when I saw it on tap on my new local Bru Haus so being a big fan of La Fin Du Monde I figured great brewery...good brew. Was pretty disappointed.

A - After the bar maid finally worked out the pour head issue I liked it's appearance. It was medium brown tea like look. She managed to get the head to be nice fluffy white but dissipated rather quickly and left no lacing.

S - Somewhat sweet smelling with caramel, cloves, almost like a trail mix smell...not too bad and left me ready to experience great flavor.

T - Tasted like a caramel flat syrupy coca-cola even though it had carbonation.

M - Thin and underwhelming, with that slimy residual feeling.

D - Disappointed and underwhelmed. I almost want to go back and try again to make sure I wasn't off that night but the thought of it kinda repulses me.

2.69/5  rDev -36%

Poured into a tall beer glass. The Maudite left a thin off-white head.

A - Looks like a tasty brew should, it's a nice warm brown with slightly copper color when light shines through.

S - A bit metallic. I've never smelled a beer like this. I couldn't pick up on any other smell through that strong metallic tinge.

T - I had to sip this beer quite slowly to allow the flavor to come through. It's delicious if you have the patience to drink it slowly. Some toffee, subtly sweet with a good balance and complexity.

M - Quite disappointed here as the mouthfeel ruined the experience of the beer for me. It's closer to a champagne in mouthfeel than any other beer I've tasted. I am a fan of the Belgian style and thoroughly enjoyed Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, but Maudite has a much higher level of carbonation; so much so that it irritated my esophagus on the way down. A friend who was drinking with me had the same experience. He couldn't even finish the glass I poured for him to taste.

Overall, I'm glad to have tried it, but unfortunately it's just not for me. Based on all of the high ratings I thought it would be something special...and I'm sure it is. I couldn't see having more than one of these in a session. I'm definitely glad that I decided to pick up the single and give it a try before buying the four pack. Fortunately I have other Unibroue's that I can try before I have to pass them up entirely.

2.69/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

2.74/5  rDev -34.8%

Not was I was expecting from a BSDA.

A - It's got the look. That brownish dark amber that Belgian strongs have. A thin, dissipating head from the bottle I opened. (Into a Belgian goblet.)

S - Wow. A strong yeast nose that reminds me of an ale "in process" rather than fully finished. Not skunked, not overly hopped, just not pleasant.

T - Something is missing from this strong dark ale... what is it? Oh yes, the STRENGTH! This is a pretty insipid brew for the ABV and the style. There isn;t nay meat on these bones.

M - Light, too light.

Overall, I did not care for this beer. It lacked a lot of things a Belgian beer should have. I can't understand how my evaluation is so far different from the others.

Nevertheless, unless the second bottle of the 4 pack is radically different, I can not recommend this ale.

2.76/5  rDev -34.3%

I drank this one in a face-off with Gulden Draak. I ignorantly assumed they'd be more similar than they were. I found the Draak to be dramatically preferable to this one.

Color: Dark reddish-brown.

Odor: Not too intense. My sense of smell isn't that effective these days.

Taste: Slightly sweet, but the overpowering taste was smokiness.

If you're into the sensation of drinking liquid smoke, by all means, pursue this beer, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. It took some effort to down the contents of my goblet. The Gulden Draak was far more palatable.

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that I may be confusing "smokiness" with "cloves." I may be tasting cloves and thinking clove cigarettes. Either way, it's not a taste I enjoy, but I just don't want to mislead anyone.

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

Serving 750ml bottle

A churning tornado of carbonation swirls up through a shady orange tinted copper body, spiraling toward a dense half finger thick layer of off-white froth. Thick fluffy lacing refuses to give in an impressive display of true belgian character.

Strong aromas of stodgy brown bread, medicinal herbs and piquant spices bloom on the bouquet revealing hints of orange zest and wild yeast.

Loads of slick and sweet bready malts lead a half-hearted charge on the entry only hinting at a fuller richer and rather spicy mid palate suggesting flavors of corriander, wild yeast, cinnamon and allspice. A clean finish ties everything together with more supportive bready sweet malt, restrained hop bitters and hints of yeast. Spices make an encoure performance on the tail end of the finish and aftertaste leaving a pleasing spicy flavor on the palate.
Overall, this beer is yeast and spice driven, while the taste is fairly interesting the flavors are muted and nearly drowned out by slick crystalline and bready malt sweetness.

Mediocre persistence on the finish and a slick medium body don't quite meld with the overly yeasty and spicy character forming a lackluster and hallow mouthfeel. On the other hand a slick malty body lets this go down easy and spicy character lends this beer a bit of complexity to keep it interesting.

This beer is not as tasty nor as full as I remember it being. Unibroue beers seem to have gone downhill in quality recently and each one has an odd yeasty character that doesn't sit well with me.

Overall, I admire this brew's sweet malt body and interesting spicy character but it could have been much better with a thicker chewy mouthfeel, toned down yeast, some dark fruits and a dash more hop bitters for balance.

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%

A- The color of old copper, with a massive head of fine textured off-white foam. Plenty of lace.

S- Smells of bread dough and Belgian yeast - straightforward, uncomplex, uninspiring.

T- Sweet & sour balsamic vinegar and malt. That's about the extent of it here; this was a rather boring beer.

M, D- The feel was sufficiently substantial, but the disappointment was in the lack of inspiration, interest, and pleasure.

Within the Unibroue portfolio, Don de Dieu thoroughly and soundly eclipses Maudite in every respect.

2.84/5  rDev -32.4%

A = Dark murky brownish orange with a big off-white 2 finger head. Head stuck around for a while. Very little lacing.

S = Hints of spice, yeast and old dark fruit dominated by a rather unpleasant "dank" basement smell

T = Followed the nose closely. Some initial faint sweetness quickly overcome with spice, yeast, and a sour/bitter combo that was unappealing.

M = Thin with medium carbonation.

D = Fairly drinkable I guess. ABV is hidden ok.

Not a huge fan of this style, and this is a middling example of it.

2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

A- Reddish w/ thin head

S- Slight hop smell w/ hints of cherry

T- Starts w/ tastes of cherry and plum, but finishes of weak hops taste

M- Starts strong and full, but finishes very weak, dry, and fizzy

D- It's alright, nothing I'd go crazy for

The smell gets you interested. The start of the taste gets you even more interested, but the fizzy finish kind of just lets you down. Overall... cool name, cool tap, but the beer kind of a lets down.

2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

Disclaimer: I don't enjoy Belgian beers.

This one pours out a very dark but clear brown with some golden hints around the edges. Great head retention, about a finger throughout, with little lacing and tons of carbonation evident.

Smell is very herbal and spicy. Definitely a sense of the bready malt along with some cinnamon and other strong herbs.

Taste is not great. Most of what I get out of it is just a bitter taste. It also seems slightly sour, maybe a little sour apple flavor. Doesn't taste natural to me, seems artificial.

Mouthfeel is where it really lets me down again. Lots of bitter taste, lots of carbonation, but other than that it's pretty watery and doesn't do much for me on the way down.

Very drinkable beer, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it, particularly because it is so light and well-carbonated.

Maudite from Unibroue