Maudite | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-26-1998

Ratings: 4,594 |  Reviews: 1,931
2.85/5  rDev -31.7%

12oz bottle with a cool label of Satan. Poured into tulip glass, a gift from my fellow beer geeks. Got this bottle from 'The Bakery' in Farmville.

Hazy deep amber in color. Supsended yeast is noticable. The lace was huge on the pour but died almost instantly.

Smells like yeast and alcohol. Fruity notes are also present.

Not what I was expecting. I think I got a skunked bottle because it didn't taste good at all. High in alcohol, and lots of burn. But the hops helped a little bit. Light body... I know, but I think my bottle was bad because there weren't many up on the shelf and I got mine from the back.

For two fifity a bottle I might get it again but this time I'll let it sit in my fridge for a month before drinking it. I only let it stay in my fridge for two days last time.

2.88/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours a nice cloudy copper-amber color with a huge fluffy white head and decent lacing. Has those beautiful round galaxy puffs of white floating on the surface. I bit too much alcohol in the scent. Maybe a little floral character. Raisins and maybe some clove. Nice and sweet. The alcohol hides well in the taste. Kind of a thick caramel taste. Quite yummy. Warms you when you swallow, high carbonation, but easy to consume. Considerable creamy.

decent, but kind of boring to me

2.92/5  rDev -30%

my 750ml corked sample has absolutley zero carbonation. so i'm already pissed at this beer for stealing my money. so, the review.
the color is a crystal clear dark copper of the sam adams variety. no bubbles anywhere. the smell is good. very sweet and sharp smell with alcohol but all well balanced. taste is very complex and not nearly as sweet as i expected, that's a good thing. so that is it. this beer took my money i'm not going to let it take my time. the rest is going down the kitchen sick. cheers.

2.93/5  rDev -29.7%

I love all of Unibroue's beers that I have had, except this one. It's not BAD tasting it's just bland. For a Belgian strong it just lacks any kind of punch. At 8% I would have thought at least I would have gotten some alcohol but even that was muted. Maybe it was an old bottle? It was a high volume place though. I just wasn't impressed. Trois Pistoles is still my favorite of their offerings.

2.96/5  rDev -29%

Well, I figured a beer with it's label donning a flying canoe and a serpent couldn't be all that bad. Turns out I was wrong. This one really didn't taste as well as I had hoped. The color was nice but the head seemed a bit fizzy. Much like other non-American beers, this one didn't do me any favors.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-brown with a full, fluffy, bubbly head colored an off-white. The head is quite nice, and retains well. Lacing is rather absent.

Smell: Strong yeastiness in the nose, followed up by a sturdy malty aroma. Some alcohol reveals itself plainly. Dark currants, or dates as well.

Taste: Heavily roasted malts. Dark, crusty breads come to mind. The alcohol comes through with candor. Heavily spiced; nutmeg, corriander. The hops are distinguishable, albeit in an abstract bitterness. Some melon. Caramel.

Mouthfeel: Bitingly carbonated. Syrupy on the tongue, with a smooth finish. Activates the senses.

Drinkability: Somewhat filling, with a not altogether inviting flavor. Over the top in its boldness of taste. Hardly a beer I could consume more than one of in a sitting.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange with some copper leanings. Head is fluffy with tight carbonation and dirty-white. Drops to a thin collar in short order.

Smell: Oh Unibroue yeast. You are ridiculous. Loaded with clove pineapple candy and banana extract. Some ripe fruitiness with a grainier fruit undertone. Something like pear or even apricot. Dusting of citrus. Cornbread with a touch of caramel malts. Lightly bready.

Taste: More of the yeast that's on the nose. So much clove and banana candy. Faint citrus hop note. Malts are bready and mildly sweet. Again, I'm reminded of cornbread, if you soaked it in a weird almost Belgian yeast strain. So much clove and weird banana candy. Flavor shows up and disappears in short order. Almost no aftertaste. Some minor clove.

Mouthfeel: Not thin, but not much better Heavy water. Carbonation is on the high side and spreads the flavor around quickly. Clean.

Overall: This was one of the first beers I had after turning 21. Even then it was more surprising than it was delicious. This makes it memorable, but not because I want to drink it again.

2.98/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pale copper color, with great head, but little lacing. Not much of a scent to speak of, maybe a bit of sweetness, but that's it. Same for the taste, for the most part it's bland. Not bad, but nothing great to speak of. It has a bit too much carbonation/bite for such a strong ale. Not Unibroue's best.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer poured a large white head with small sized bubbles. The body was cloudy and the hue was light brown.I could definitely taste the alcohol with this beer.About all I have to say about this beer is that it was just okay.I was not extremely impressed by the taste.

2.99/5  rDev -28.3%

Had this one poured into a glass from the bottle. It was a dark amber color with a large foam head. I found the flavor to be quite bitter and heavy, but not in an alltogether unpleasant way.

Best by date 06-01-2012

A: Pours a reddish-brownish-orangish color. I was expecting more of an amber hue, but it had much more brown than I was anticipating.

S: A big wave of alcohol esters, some brown sugar, toffee and Belgian yeast aromatics.

T: Again, a piercing alcohol burn, Belgian spice, dark fruits.

M: Average for a BSDA

D: This is probably the worst offering I have had from Unibroue, a brewery that I usually love. It's not terrible, I just feel like it might not translate well to my palate.

Maudite from Unibroue