La Fin Du Monde

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde
Notes: La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.
Reviews: 3,105 | Ratings: 10,528 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hopsputin from New Jersey

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

a: slighly hazy dark orange & copper color. a touch of pale yellow and light brown. huge 4 finger marshmellow-like white head

s: wheat, banana, green pear, green apple. coriander, cardamom, and pepper spice. nice Belgian yeast spice. huge crackery note, and a doughy malt backbone. a touch of clove and nutmeg. a little bit of an earthy/grass note as well. absolutely amazing and complex aroma on this

t: huge fruity esthers upfront. ripe green pears, green apple, and a big sweet banana note. pepper spice immediately following that for balance, as well as clove and a hint of coriander. a touch of wheaty bubblegum-like flavors. crusty country bread and dry crackers. a touch of sweet malt then apple, pear, and that nice Belgian spice to close it out

m: solid medium mouthfeel with extremely high carbonation

o: extremely awesome beer, and definitely a benchmark for the style. complex, well-harmonized, yet easy to drink and it doesn't tax you to drink it, even though it has a high ABV. awesome stuff

Aug 22, 2020
rand from California

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

650 mL bottle into a wine glass

A: Cloudy complexion, orange-yellow in color with a tan hue. Ample carbonation with a huge sudsy head.

S: Spicy, fruity nose. Grassy, aromas of a fall harvest.

T: Flavors are of pit fruit and oak, notes white pepper and orange peel. Yeasty esters poke through mid-sip, followed by a dry, grassy, medium finish.

F: Oily rich but ample carbonation add levity.

A classic. Saw this a Trader Joe’s, hadn’t had it years, and was shocked I hadn’t reviewed before.

Aug 02, 2020
dschwartz13 from Tennessee

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The look is a shade darker than a Pilsner, and it poured Golden with plenty of carbonation. I had an absolutely massive head of foam, which I attribute to not having the right glassware. I had to let it sit multiple times before pouring the whole thing. The smell is good, get a nice aroma of flavors, thought it was reminiscent of a strong Hefeweizen. The best part was the taste, unbelievable. Simply hard to describe, but perhaps the best tasting beer I’ve ever had. For a 9% beer, feel is lighter than expected. World class beer that deserves its number one Tripel spot.

Jul 05, 2020
hophead723 from California

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

I had a four-pack of this delivered because I was craving a Tripel. I wish I had a tulip for it, but I poured it into a simple pint glass.

Look: Thoroughly hazed orange-gold color with a head like meringue that lasts and lingers leaving lots of lasting lacing. It drags sheets of thick foam down the glass that cling endlessly throughout the entire experience. When a light is shone through, it looks like an Indian Summer sunset.

Smell: The aroma is extremely complex with orchard fruits including apple, peach, and pear balanced by a light spice of white and black pepper followed by banana esters, phenolic compounds, smooth dried apricot, sourdough bread, baked biscuit, honey, orange, and clove. It is enticing and mouthwatering, more appetizing than any Tripel I have ever encountered.

Taste/Feel: A rich and silky smooth mouthfeel delivers flavors of Red Delicious apple, Red Anjou pear, dried apricot, white pepper, banana esters, phenolic compounds, baked rustic bread, orange blossom honey, mild bubblegum, and a warm kiss of alcohol. The flavors evolve and resonate like an orchestra across the palate.

Overall: The absolute archetypal Tripel!! It is sippable, smooth, rich, and delicious. It really tastes like a textbook style-defining Tripel! Absolutely delicious and complex at every moment. Not too sweet, not too spicy, not too anything other than delicious and well worth the wold class rating.

Jul 04, 2020
BJB13 from Maryland

4.06/5  rDev -6.9%

335 ml bottle poured into a goblet.
Best by: 12/10/22

Poured straight into the glass for three fingers of stark-white, firm foam. The body is hazy amber with gold highlights. The head leaves a bit of lace and refuses to die. Spice, clove and Belgian yeast/banana make up the ample nose. Semi-dry, spicy and bittersweet it tastes of Belgian yeast and dried fruit-like flavors with a tangy finish that is slightly warming. The carbonation is high and the smooth, medium body is highly effervescent. It drinks faster than you expect at 9% ABV.

Jun 23, 2020
Yaroslav from New York

4.85/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Looks and behaves like my Standard of Duvel. Taste is as glorious and satisfying. Nectar of the G-d's or the Monkeys who developed it!

If I were to factor cost, La Fin Du Monde is the best representation of the style. Cost aside, on par with Duvel. Who knows in a blind taste test. Perhaps better.

I go with the consensus. World Class!

Jun 18, 2020
faraday326 from California

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours lovely, hazy golden amber with nice head. Aroma is awesome... the fruit and yeasty you expect and the spice is there and quite pleasant. The taste comes awesome with the triple style and is heavy on the spice for me... a nice punch of cloves, coriander, cardamon... those earthy spices which transition into the frutier, citrus, bubblegum finish. This beer is awesome.

Jun 14, 2020
DrunkenClam from Pennsylvania

4.77/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I don't care for cardamon flavor, and this doesn't have it or is light enough that it doesn't distract. Also, I did not taste an overwhelming bubblegum flavor I sometimes notice in triples ales. I like it. Awesome.

Jun 03, 2020
Vollthor88 from Canada

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

Smell: Spice and Malt.

Taste: Malt , Belgian Spice , Fruit (Banana).

Feel: Smooth, high Carbonation, alcohol heat, very easy to drink.

Overall: The best Tripel beer in my opinion.

May 31, 2020
DannyBoy15347 from Missouri

4.01/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

L- pours a nice hazy golden color with a soft white foam. Head lingers longer than expected and leaves a nice lacing.
A- honestly hard to place. Definitely a very forward malt character, maybe wheat?
T- very good and very clean tasting. Mouthfeel is also very smooth for 9% I could easily drink 2-4 of these and be in bed by 7 haha cheers!

May 20, 2020
YesKing from Canada

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful beer all around.

It's a rich, dark golden colour topped with white foam lacing that has good retention throughout.

Very strong smell: banana, yeast, wheat.

The taste is very interesting, most of it comes from the aftertaste. I taste a wide variety of fruit: orange peel, lemon zest, pears, floral hops, and slight bitterness. The taste lingers quite a while after drinking. Overall it's very delicious and complex, and it's quite refreshing for being 9%. This is complemented by the feel of the drink: very full, thick, and carbonated.

May 20, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

How in the flying fudge izzit that I have NEVER reviewed this beer?!? OMFG! Unibroue's head brewer, Jerry Vietz & I go 'way back! There are some tales to which I have been sworn to secrecy so fair dinkum! Here's one on me: It was PHL Beer Week in its earliest iteration, Year 1 or 2, in late-Spring & it was still bitterly cold out. Jerry & I had crossed paths at several events over the course of the day & now, it was my nightcap at Fergie's as I headed to my nearby hostel. I engaged with a pair at the bar & then, according to Jerry, since I was no longer there, I lapsed into fluent French! 8=O The couple could no longer understand me, but Jerry acted as interpreter! I could not remember a whit of it, but Jerry assured me that I was appropriate, that my tongue & mouth had not one word of English in it & that I was far more fluent than he had believed. 8=O

I had four (4) years of French in Middle & High School, despite my protestations that Spanish would be more useful. My first overseas liberty port in the Navy? Barcelona, Spain! 8={} I am apparently a natural for languages & pick up on them very quickly. I soon learned to (ahem!) procure my (ahem!) date for the import period for the duration of our stay. We would eat & drink on the local economy, go to a movie or two & she would teach me her language. My mother was once shocked by an offhand comment & inquired as to how many languages I speak. I have ~ thirty (30) & I will lapse into some of them without thinking, hence her question. My tour as a plankowner onboard the USS Normandy (CG-60) had us in France so often that by Marseille, Christmas 1991, our chargé (local ambassador) requested me as her liaison! A billet normally reserved for an officer, but my fluency was tremendous. Years of disuse have rendered it poor again, but send me to Quebec & watch!

From the Bottle (!): "Belgian Style Triple Ale"; "Ale Brewed with Spices"; "Bottle Refermented".

Pop! the cap time! Blast! It was one of those screwed-up screw-off caps! 8={} I mustered up all of my self-control & began a slow, gentle C-Line pour into the awaiting glass. Man, if there is one thing that I hate more than bottles, it is screw-cap bottles! It foamed up beautifully to create two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Nose smelled like Spring - flowery - orchids, daisies, honeysuckle; honey; black pepper; old newspapers from the attic for recycling. Mmm. Mouthfeel was medium, seemingly light, but on-par for the style. The taste, while spicy, was imprecisely peppery. Coriander, perhaps? Star Anise? Lots of honey, perhaps from the malt. Plus a flowery, perfume-y sweetness. Mmm. 9%, you say?!? Unbelievable! It was entirely smooth & so easy-drinking as to render it about as dangerous as I have encountered in a while. This was definitely one to remain full aware of throughout! Finish was dry, largely due to the inclusion of spices, but even then, it might have been fairly dry on its own. It might be interesting to have them brew a non-spiced batch, just for comparison purposes. I'll inquire of Jerry on our next meeting. YMMV.

May 03, 2020
OK_Denise from Oklahoma

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I know this is the top rated Tripel but I am fairly sure that I enjoy the Chimay White at least as much....maybe a smidgen more? It is a really close call and I am trying to not let my Chimay bias influence my rating. I really enjoy this Tripel a lot, I don't want to say anything disparaging about it. If you are a fan of the the Belgian Tripel style of beer than I highly recommend you try this and see what you think.

May 02, 2020
FearlessRick

4.83/5  rDev +10.8%

The best beer from a regular brewery I have ever had. (a friend of mine, Paul Mittermeyer, of Rochester NY, made the best beer I ever had, twice, brewed in his basement)

Unibroue is a world class operation. Was able to find this and other Unibroue selections at Foothills Plaza Wines & Spirits, Maryville, TN 37801. Imagine a deep Canadian beer down here in Tennessee. Awesome. I'm happy.

Drink this beer on special occasions, like, as the name suggests, the end of the world. Could be sooner than we expect.

Awesome brew. Three of these and it's good night, Irene.

May 02, 2020
adab123 from Ohio

3.91/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The malt provides a complex and satisfying flavor palette (from fruit to spice). The beer is far from mind-blowing though (perhaps I was given high expectations before trying it).

Apr 06, 2020
Hooded from Texas

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Rastal nucleated Teku glass.
The body is orangish gold with 3 fingers of white head. It quickly recedes leaving a nice fluffy cap. Small amounts of moderately thick lacing are all the way down the glass. 4.5
The aroma is medium in strength and of coriander, and spicy all enveloped in a bright sour note. 4.25
The taste is...Wow! It's nicely balanced with coriander, spices, grain, and a mild hop finish. 4.5
The feel is medium-high in thickness, silky, very creamy, effervescent, and has a dry finish with medium-low astringency. 4.75
Overall, the balance, finesse, and effervescence create a world class beer. 4.5

Mar 28, 2020
KRug from Massachusetts

4.26/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Best by 8/29/22, still plenty of time left on this one lol

Pours a light copper-y orange with 2 fingers of fluffy white head that takes quite some time to begin fading

Aroma is big on the fruity note of the Belgian yeasty, very overripe in nature, with mild spice and herbality to back it up

The taste follows the nose, the yeast almost being a little tart in conjunction with the spice, very flavorful without being overkill

Drinks very nice, more wildly carbonated than I expected but boy does it work for this. Medium body and finishes just shy of dry with a bit of sweetness to leave behind

Overall I really enjoyed this one, deserves all the praise it gets

Mar 10, 2020
wmscottsimpsonjr from Missouri

4.29/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Brilliant orange gold with pillowy head. The nose is a nice balance of bubble gum, floral notes, soft spice, yeastiness, light malt, bit of citrus. Bright and warm. Flavor follows, with a hint of booze, and a moderate grassy, somewhat astringent bitterness which balances out some sweetness. Smooth, full mouthfeel.

Mar 08, 2020
summitsix from California

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into tulip glass

L: beautiful hazy orange, very effervescent after the pour, leaving a healthy half finger of beer foam
S: banana, wheat, yeast
T: the Belgian yeast sings, fruity and rich, with a spicy finish, slightly dry, you'll savor this one
F: effervescent, medium bodied
O: an excellent widely distributed triple, always pleased

Mar 07, 2020
Twig54 from Massachusetts

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This tripel is very much in the style of Chimay but slightly lighter which makes for a very drinkable beer. Very well balanced. The 9% alcohol was not noticeable. Purchased in a 0.75 lt corked bottle, it poured a thick white head that faded quickly. I really enjoyed this and will be buying it again.

Mar 01, 2020
Charliethebrit from Massachusetts

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce into a tulip glass. slightly hazy, Nice white head
Plenty on the nose, floral, citrus, pine
Taste is smooth, floral citrus, sweetness balancing out the hops, hint of black pepper, lemon zest, hint of honey
Smooth with nice natural carbonation.
World class.

Feb 29, 2020
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

It might be me, but this is the second from the style I've tried, and I've ranked both well below the average. I tried this once, wasn't a huge fan, so I gave it a second shot. While I rank it right at above average 3.5, I definitely am not a big fan of this one and will not try again. Golden hazy pour with full head. Scent is if hops, grass and spice. Taste follows, with a sweetness I found to be somewhat of a downer. Medium mouthfeel and an aftertaste that I did not find enjoyable.

Feb 28, 2020
Bryansbrews

4.19/5  rDev -3.9%

I've been real into the Belgian style beers lately and this hits the nail on the head! For a 9% beer it is smooth as smooth can be! I poured this into a small tulip-like glass, pours a golden yellow with quick dissipating head. Smell of alcohol and spices quickly fill the area around the beer when poured. Mouth feel is fizzy and the heat from the booze coats your entire mouth leaving you with a nice sweet aftertaste. Overall the beer has a lot of booziness to it with a handful of Belgian yeast and spice, pretty good way to end your night!

Feb 19, 2020
MNAle from Minnesota

4.48/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A clear orange-amber body with a profusion of bubbles rising to a thick, creamy white head with excellent retention. The head sags a bit below an outside ridge as it recedes. As you drink, it leaves spots, strings and sheets of lacing. (The final drops from the bottle send columns of dark brown down through the beer, becoming smokey sheets wafting through the beer.) Great looking beer.

Aroma is fruit and spice. Ripe pears, cloves, hints of banana, bubblegum.

Smooth and substantial body, accented by the carbonation dancing on the tongue.

The mixture of fruit flavors and spices dominate the taste. Ripe pears, apricot, clove, pepper, banana. A bit of funkiness. A wonderful, tasty, complexity of flavors swirling around above a bready sweet malt foundation. The finish is slightly thick and semi-sweet. Rich, elaborate, sophisticated, and wonderfully multifarious.

Overall, this is a great beer. The best Belgian Tripel-style I've had to date.

Feb 17, 2020
GregDBoston from Massachusetts

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tasty and exceedingly well-balanced Belgian tripel from Montreal. The only thing holding it back for me is that Belgian ales are a little too sweet and not my favorite style, but this is a good one that I would not refuse.

Feb 13, 2020