La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,934 | Ratings: 9,897
Reviews by JLydia:
1.12/5  rDev -74%

Appearance: Beautiful straw color. Over exuberant head.

Smell: Offensive. Very pungent and biting.

Taste: Strong perfume flavor with a hint of toilet bowl cleaner.

Mouthfeel: Overwhelming. It was very difficult to drink this beer. It has way too much carbonation.

Overall: I was extremely disappointed with this beer, but finished the glass, b/c a bad beer isn't the end of the world.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

12 oz brown bottle with a foiled top, a best before date on the back label.

Appearance: Foamy off white head that takes a long while to subside to a sticky lace. Cloudy yet radiant yellowish golden colour shows that this is a pale brew.

Smell: Ripe sugary nectarines, a powdery yeast and a light phenolic clove and medicinal mix in the aroma. Alcoholic esters with a touch of solvent linger in the back of the nose.

Taste: Peppery clove spiciness with a warming alcohol right behind it. Estery with a hint of solvent-like character in the high level of alcohol. Malt lays down some sweetness with a thick drying pale graininess, fruity flavours of mango and pear flash on the taste buds. Bitterness from the hops melds with the thick powdery yeast and bring the mouth to a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability & Notes: One of my favourite Belgian style pale strong ales, a bit over the top for some people and one that I respect by sipping through the night.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A dangerous combination of delicious and strong. This is the most drinkable strong ale I've ever tasted. I would sometime like to sit down and drink three of these in a sitting.

Pours a hazy gold with a good-sized fluffy white head. Smells and tastes amazing; citric, fruity, spicy and yeasty! I'd put a Fin du Monde air freshener in my room if there were such a thing.

Amazingly smooth. This is my favorite in its category, and one of my favorite three beers... ever!

4.05/5  rDev -6%

"It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine"

--R.E.M.

Yeast-laden, effervescent, brilliant gold with an expansive, billowy cap of rich, aged ivory. Plenty of BSPAs have this basic appearance, but something about this one strikes me as near perfect as I let bright morning sunlight stream through the window and catch fire in the glass. The head is in too much of a hurry to depart and almost no lace is visible, so I'm forced to curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Definitely a good nose for the style, but I'm not gobsmacked. There's a smidgen less power than anticipated and less complexity as a result. I can appreciate spicy pear and apple fruit with intimations of clove spice. It's hard to say if an actual Belgian yeast strain is in use. If so, it's one of the tamer varieties. The aroma opens up a bit more with warming and becomes more white peppery as well.

Most of the usual style elements are present: orchard fruit, spice and well-integrated alcohol. The beer is sweeter than some with a more subdued spiciness. The word elegant comes to mind. La Fin Du Monde is unquestionably a civilized, mannered version of the style. The thing is, I tend to prefer rabble rousers. I enjoy the flavor, but I find myself wishing that there was more of it and that it would hang around a while longer.

Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle helps a little, but not enough. This is good beer that could be great beer with a tweak or two. The finish is tackysweet and is the capper to a wonderfully lush mouthfeel that is the highlight of this entire experience for me.

La Fin Du Monde is a wonderful effort and is an admirable example of its style. However, it lacks a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and therefore doesn't quite equal the best BSPAs. That said, I'm savoring the final few ounces and I'm definitely feeling fine.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden with a truly luxurious head. The aroma has pears, lemon, yeast, faint banana, spice, flowers, sweetness. Very nice. A complex taste, with the spice, yeast, and fruits from the aroma coming back. High carbonation, which makes this a dangerous beer to open. Alcohol burn is present. This is great! Head and shoulders above other North American tripels like New Belgium's. Worth every penny.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a rich golden yellow color. a big two finger white head with strong retention and leaving behind a nice frothy lacing. pretty much opaque due to some haziness and the occasional sediment.

Smell: strong yeast character, fairly split between phenols and esters, with notes of banana, pepper, clove, and pears. wheat and lightly sweet malt. light amount of alcohol.

Taste: opens up opens with a little bit of banana mixing with pear. phenols take over with a good amount of clove and a lesser amount of pepper. malts are nice and sweet, ranging from a pale/pilsner to a little bit of caramel. small amount of alcohol plays in near the end.

Mouthfeel: moderately bodied. easily drinkable but better when enjoyed slowly. small amount of warming and lingering alcohol. light lingering sweetness and yeastiness.

Overall: A top level beer at a killer price and great availability. I don't revisit nearly as much as I should but this is one of the most approachable beers into the wonderful world of Belgian beers. a must try for all beer drinkers.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: 750 mL Corked Bottle

A- Beautiful light Golden Apricot colour with a 1 1/2 finger soapy white head that literally doesn't move an inch. Incredible retention and a glass fully covered with silky lacing.

S- Bready and yeasty with light hints of slight sweet citrus.

T- Biscuit, yeasty flavours, and light touches of citrus and cloves. Beautiful and perfectly balanced. Nothing really sticks out as dominate, it just all flows together.

M- Silky smooth with a foamy, bubbly body, although there isn't much carbonation to be found. Easily drinkable but a hard hitting body that lays quite heavy in the stomach. Wouldn't be able to have much more than a 750 mL bottle, although I'm not sure why you would want to have more!

O- Thanks to you guys/gals here on Beer Advocate, I decided to go for a beer that I passed by without taking a second look every time I was at the Liquor store. I'm thankful that I finally picked it up! Top notch, word class beer that is easily the best example of the style that I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow with an enormous white head; good lacing

Smell: Bananas and a touch of clove; undertones of candi sugar and lemon

Taste: Starts with the banana and candi sugar flavors; by mid-palate, pears and other light fruits arrive along with a lemony bitterness; after the swallow, the pear and stone fruit flavors build into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Very tasty, with a distinct yeasty character; well made - as good a tripel as you will find

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Truly a fantastic beer. Complex, just jam packed with flavour. Excellent example of a Belgian Tripel, especially since it's not from Belgium. If you're looking to get your feet wet with this style, (especially if you live in Canada), give this one a go.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L - Hazy gold big white head

S - a bit mute but light clove and estery stone fruits

T - Very subtle esters, clove and pepper, a bit of ginger

F - Nice carbonation

O - Miles away from Westmalle's. It's a good beer but not my favorite tripel. It reminds me of augustijn but with a more subtle notes and more balanced

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%

i'm just gonna opine on this one since there's no basic description info I could add that has not already been said. I don't get the hype here, it isn't bad but it relies way too heavy on its yeast and has a very weak malt back bone, this causes the beer to both smell and taste fishy, it is not a bad beer, but I would in no way call it a good one, I've had quite a few tripels and I won't be buying this again, gonna age a few to see if it helps, but as I said before, this beer wears it's yeast on it's sleeve and allows it to do all of the heavy lifting, making the beer feel unbalanced, this beer tastes like three things, yeast, clove and banana, that's it.

Parting shot: if you've had tripels before and are considering this one. Don't waste your time. If you've never had a tripel before, don't let this be your first. For a perfect introduction to the style try westmalle tripel or st. bernardus tripel, just don't try this

This pop top champagne style beer radiates class. It has an extremely distinct taste and extremely flavorful. It is a beautiful golden color with a subtle alcoholic bite at the end of a sip.

It's been awhile since I've had one of these beauties and when I saw that I hadn't reviewed it... well, here we are. Poured into Unibroue tulip. Poured a lighty hazy straw gold color with a thick, tall, fluffy, white head that had great retention and just the right amount of lacing.

The aroma was great, yeasty, spicy, a hint of fruit and a great grain scent. On the tongue all those aspects were, if possible, amplified. Just what this style should be.

The body is full and well-rounded, without being heavy, cloying, sweet or annoying. Drinkability is, of course, nearly perfect. Crisp, interesting and as refreshing as a 9% brew can be, having several of these gorgeous creatures is easy.

Overall, this is only the second beer I've given all 5's to. Chimay White is one of my top 5 favorite beers and this may be a better example of the style. A serious must try.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Best by date 05-27-06

Hazy pale golden amber color with a lovely white head that slowly dissipates.

Faint aroma- of spices (orange peel), fruit (a hint of cranberry and strawberry), and malt. Some alcohol. Pleasant, but could be stronger and more complex.

Luxurious mouthfeel, caramel sweet. A prominent bitterness and alcohol presence. Long finish of caramel and fruit.

Although well put together, this beer tends to become cloying towards the end of a bomber- ultimately reflected in drinkability problems. Still worth a try.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, BB 08-07-18
A - towering, persistent white head holds excellent retention leaving clumps of foam on the glass as it slowly fades atop an opaque and effervescent golden colored body - stunning
S - spicy, yeast, wheat, earthy hops
T - excellently balanced with notes of spicy yeast, earthy hops, wheat, pale malt, honey, and faint orange zest
M - full body, very creamy and smooth, effervescent and delicately carbonated
O - it's been a long time since I had this one! It's fantastic as always!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Even a very slow pour will reveal a huge, foamy white head sitting atop this cloudy/golden brew. The maltiness & alcohol are big up front. Earthy notes and a hint of spice give la fin du monde a complex and dry finish. A definite classic out of Quebec.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance – Absolute monster head. The bottle foamed over when I popped the top even though it had been sitting quietly in my fridge for a week. The body is an extremely cloudy example of deep yellow with a hint of orange.

Smell – This is very interesting. The yeast comes out big in the aroma. It is well complimented by various spices, most notabley clove and garlic. There’s also a pleasing lemon scent.

Taste – This is a real heavy hitter. The lemon flavor comes out a little bit more in the taste. The yeast is big and bountiful. The powdery spices take a back seat but are still present. This is an excellent representation of the style.

Mouthfeel – Big, mouth-filling carbonation with this one.

Drinkability – If you like BSPAs, you have to give this one a try. The Unibroue interpretation of this style is interesting indeed. It went down very well and left me wanting for more (I chinced and bought the 12 oz bottle).

Comments – This one had a real hefeweitzen base, but goes off in its own direction rather quickly. An “A” for originality if nothing else. A must try for fans of the style.

Update – I reviewed this shortly after joining the site in Aug ’03 so decided to re-review it with a 2004 vintage. This really is a great example of a BSPA, and now after having reviewed over 200 Belgian Ales I am really able to appreciate the craftsmanship of this particular ale. I’m raising the overall score from 4.3 to 4.5.

Update – The 2005 vintage lacked that explosive head of yesteryear that actually kind of annoyed me but otherwise was just about the same. I really enjoy the unique garlicky character of the aroma. Two thumbs up – a solid 4.5.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A: This is by far the lightest (in color and body) of Belgian Strong Darks that have really impressed me. Generally, I like this style big, full, and caliginous. La Fin du Monde on the other hand is a brilliant incandescent gold with a nice amount of lively haze and a super sticky white head.

S: Fetching clementine and banana aromas dominate, followed by cloves and medicinal phenyls.

T: Spicy citrus. Pear and mango enter the mix. Clove flavors continue.

MF: Smooth and creamy with kicking carbonation.

Drinkabity is extreme considering the ABV.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets really good reviews and anytime you have a highly hyped drink it can sway your judgement. I wanted to try this because of the recommendations. I'm not swayed on hype, I want results!

Served cold from a bottle in a witbeer glass.

When I first tried this my initial impression was to just judge the taste and no other factors. Just by taste alone it is good. Not great, but good. I'd drink it for sure but it doesn't blow me away. When you look at what's going on with this beer it become a bit more impressive. La Fin Du Monde has 9% abv and I surely couldn't tell that when drinking it initially... but boy will you feel it later on! That is quite impressive to me how they can blend it so perfectly.

LFDM definitely has a nice spice presence to it and it has the pleasant taste of fruits (apples, pear, and a little banana like you would get from a hefe). There's just something missing to me. I think its the mouthfeel. It just feels too liquid to me. I wish it had a thicker presence in the mouth like a good hefe. I think that would elevate it greatly for me. It's a good beer, but overhyped in my opinion. Of course many people may be judging this based on the "stlye" (tripel) and I'm not. I'm judging it as a drink alone. I haven't had many triples to compare it to to be honest but I'm sure its one of the best triples! Expertly blended!

Regardless, another beer tried! I have another Unibroue beer to review in a few days. Hoping for the best! :)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue