La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#433

Ratings: 10,178 |  Reviews: 3,013
4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into a tulip. High hopes for this one. Pours a light straw, cloudy, with a huge snowy head. Excellent lacing, visible carbonation. A tartness in the nose, banana esters are the strongest scents, but you get some Chimay-like coriander and cloves.

Complex flavor. Spices, tart yellow fruit, and alcohol up front. Sweet, but not cloying malt character, well-balanced by the spices. Earthy on the back end, with a warming alcohol presence. Carbonation largely up front, but doesn't hinder the mouthfeel any at all.

Heavy alcohol in there and you can tell. I can finish my 22 oz by myself, but if I were to have another bottle (and I'd like to!) I'd be toast, even on a full stomach.

One of the best tripels I've had, but not the best. Awesome brew.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into my La Fin Du Monde tulip glass from a bottle.

Appearance is a hazy apricot yellow hue, with a generous sized white head that takes a while to recede. Thin flecks of lacing trail down from the sides of the glass. Lots of fine, fizzy bubbles can be seen buzzing up from the bottom to the top. A delightful bouquet of smells is present in the nose, including some citrus rind, apple and that zingy banana at the end. Just a great smelling brew.

A nice sweet kick to start off, followed by the smooth malty backbone and fruity esters. There's a pleasant breadiness to it as it transitions to banana and cloves, then rounds out with a slight tinge of bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste. You can really feel the alcohol warming your mouth and gullet after you've finished your sip. It's remarkably enjoyable. Mouthfeel is nice and well-bodied, with those little fizzy bubbles providing just the right amount of carbonation to make the entire experience really quite nice.

Drinkability is great, thanks to the delectable taste and mouthfeel, which are tempered by the hefty 9% ABV. La Fin Du Monde is the beer that first got me into drinking craft and I wanted to give it justice in my review, because it is a very worthy example and is quite deserving of all the accolades. Even now, it's just as good as I remember it was the first time around. That's the mark of a great brew.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Funny thing about this beer is the more I drank it, the less I liked it. Left a bitter aftertaste. I'll stick to Maudite.

Bottle into wine glass
A – 1 finger yellowish off-white head was thick with OK staying power fading to a thin layer, no lace, beer is a very hazy gold (slight amber tint) with yellow edges 4
S – Floral bouquet and yeast dominate, milder orange straw and caramel notes, good strong aroma 4.5
T – Bready malts with a bit of fruitiness, mild citrus and what I’ll call white pepper spiciness, 9% ABV well hidden 4
M – Medium body with a wet feel on the palate, quite rounded beer, carbonation is moderate to high and works well 4.5
O – A very good triple, excellent balance and very nice drinkability 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde a few days ago for $7 at Trader Joe's. I have had this beer before, but I thought it's due time to review it and I'm in the mood for a Tripel tonight, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on May 23rd 2012, so it's a little over a year old. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I like the name of the beer also, according to my brother who speaks a little bit of french, it means The End of the World, I like it. It poured a very hazy golden yellow color that took on a slight orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice lacing behind. This a very good looking Tripel, one of the best looking ones I have seen.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like aroma to it and was followed by a good amount of Belgian yeast that imparts a spicy aroma with cloves seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some nice fruity aromas with some apple, pears, and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end I get a light bubblegum aroma followed by a slight earthy aroma. The aroma was pretty good and very true to style, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like flavor to it and was followed by some Belgian yeast and a medium amount of spices with cloves sticking out the most. Up next comes some nice fruit flavors, I get some crisp apple and pears with some banana flavors coming through that are a little different then most tripel's and it tastes a little more like a real banana. The alcohol was hidden nicely. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with a fruity and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Tripel, it had some nice balance and it was very true to style, I enjoyed it..

M- Pretty smooth, very crisp, pretty dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty fizzy. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the flavors and aromas that I look for in the style and it was pretty dry, might be the driest Tripel I have had and I thought it worked well with this beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden well, it was pretty crisp and refreshing, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, this may be the most drinkable Tripel I have had so far, I would have no problem drinking a whole bottle and I don't think I would rule out having a couple glasses of this on a warm summer day. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style and balanced it was, it's just what I want in a Tripel. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again, and I would for sure like to try a fresher bottle, it's priced pretty fairly for what you get and I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and I think it would be a nice beer to introduce someone to Belgian beers. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I think it's one of the best Tripel's that isn't made in Belgium, it's very hard to compete with the Belgians when it comes to this style, but this beer can hold it's own. Good job guys, I really need to get around to trying more Unibroue beers, I haven't had a bad one yet. So far this my favorite beer from them and Unibroue is my favorite Canadian brewing company.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

A slow pour into my snifter rewards me with a finger of effervescent head. This is gone in a little under a minute, leaving just some bubbles and a thin ring. Lacing tries to cling to the glass, but like a 70 year old man without a blue pill, it just doesn't stay up.

First whiff is lightly sour apple. A hint of clove, some grapes, yeast and banana follow. Digging deeper reveals coriander with the cloves.

Yeast and a hint of wheat are very apparent at the start. Hints of grape follows and transitions into banana. Light hay, clove and coriander finish her off. It takes many sips to find all flavors, this is a very complex brew.

Very strong carbonation up front. The body is light-medium. Ending is lightly bitter.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Marked best before 5/20/07, cellared by me almost a year.

Hazy yellow with a short lived head and really no lacing at all. Huh?

Smell is spicy with some phenol alcohol and a slight apple rind fruityness. Light and fulfilling.

Taste is spicy alcohol with some apple and citrus. Reminiscient of Duvel with a lot more alcohol presence. Detracts from the mouthfeel a bit due to the burn.

Very drinkable, although I have no idea why I didn't get a nice frothy head. Alcohol will get even more dominate when it warms.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Description: Bright golden color with a finger and half of white head. Carbonation is apparent from the view alone, with lots of tiny bubbles rising. The smell is spicy and zesty although I don't know that I could pin it down to a specific smell. A bit of sweetness and fruit comes through on the aroma as well. Taste is consistent with the aroma: spicy with some hints of peach, apricot and floral notes. Just a faint bit of bitterness or grapefruit on the finish. It's light-bodied and highly carbonated, although it smooths out as it warms.

Suggested food pairing: Spinach salad with bacon and strawberries

If you like this beer then you should also try: Tree Bucket

Ideal time to drink this beer: Springtime, sitting outside a trendy bar or cafe on a busy street and casually people watching

Overall: 4.25 (This beer is good and I would likely drink it again) Some countries are wine countries (Spain), some are beer countries (Ireland) and some are liquor countries (Russia). I've always had a hard time putting Canada into one of those buckets. Obviously not a wine country, but not an obvious liquor or beer country either. I'd say that the most Canadian beers (Labatt's, Molson) are sub-par but I guess that's true of America too. Where was I going with this?...Oh yeah, La Fin Du Monde has to be the best beer to come out of Canada; it's one of the better "Belgians" I've ever had. Flavorful, balanced and exactly what a tripel should be. The alcohol is there but not overwhelming and this goes down quite smoothly. As a bonus, it is far more available and budget friendly than many other highly rated tripels.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Very nice find for us as we always want to try something new. Surprisingly we found this at our local Kroger store (major regional grocer).

Pours golden orange with a spongy/soapy head. Lighter than I expected, but no disappointment.

I can smell unknown spices, yeast, and some malts. I catch a nose full of alcohol also.

Tastes like a hodgepodge of spices, I didnt think of it when I was drinking it but after reading others' thoughts, I can see where the banana comes in. A lot of yeast in the flavor as well.

Definitely drinkable and we didnt think the spiciness was too much, although far different from the high hop beers that usually sit in our fridge.

Mouthfeel gives you a sting from the spice and a sting from the alcohol. Enjoyable but at the other end of the spectrum in regards to mouthfeel compared to a Wit or other low-carbonation beer.

For the price, we will enjoy this one again!

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Apperance: A decent appearance. A large white and crisp head forms when poured. This disappates quickly as does with most high alcohol lighter colored beers I had tasted have. Color is a light straw.

Smell: A nice spicy smell. No alcohol in the nose what so ever.

Taste: Sweet and fruity but spicy and bity. A fruity sweetness is first then it goes to the spiciness. After that you can taste an alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel: A nice rich mouthfeel. Much richer than other lighter colored beers I have had.

Drinkability: Very drinkable considering the 9%. I would have another one.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Nice pale gold color with about a finger sized white head. some lacing is evident but nothing too impressive.

Aroma is yeasty and full of esters and all the Belgian funk I love so much. Some dark fruity notes and a bit of clove as well. Very nice indeed.

The taste is big and bready, with some of the spicy notes and a finish that is dominated by alcohol. Finishes real hot and dry. This is my first example of this style and it seems close to some Tripels I have had.

Surprisingly light bodied and despite the alcohol in the finish it really does not give away it's 9% ABV. An eminently drinkable Belgian style beer!

263rd review on BA
bottle to tulip

App- A soft hazy straw yellow with some hazy orange hightlights to it. A pretty average one finger head that was quick to recede.

Smell- To me it was the standard tripel smells of a nice earthy yeasty with some crisp minimal citrus notes.

Taste- Has to be one of the classics. It was crisp and clean with that up front yeasty flavor with a grainy, wheaty citrus finish.

Mouth- Has a smooth aftertaste. The ABV is evident on the finish. A medium body with a higher carbonation to it.

Drink- Gone before I knew it. Sneaky good. A 12oz bottle is just not enough. A very good beer that could be enjoyed over a couple bottles.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

I never comment on bottle labels, but this one I really like...I think that of Unibroue in general, actually. They give me the impression that drinking the beer is some king of special event and that I should really prepare myself. Anyway...12oz bottle poured into my Westvleteren chalice (thanks, Flup!)

A - Just how it should look for a Tripel, but nothing too spectacular. Big fluffy white head on top of a hazy dark yellow/straw visibly carbonated beer. Lacks lacing, however.

S - This is a nice subtle nose of bananas, clove, white pepper, fresh lemon confit, bready yeast, and a hit of alcohol. Very well integrated. Really invites you in, but it's not as powerful or big as the nose on others.

T - Tastes like orchard fruits, banana bread, and Belgium. Besides the typical banana/clove flavors, there's also fresh green apple, and some doughy yeastiness here. This is really tasty. I also want to call the flavor profile suave - it just doesn't jump out at you like some others in this style (which is among my favorites) - more refined.

M - This mouthfeel is freaking awesome. Smooth and soft, it's pretty full and round. Just absolutely coats the entire mouth and then cleans it off with some moderate carbonation - a wave of little tiny bubbles comes rushing through, but isn't overpowering. Finish is not that long.

D - High, since this is really delicious! Very well balanced and integrated throughout. Pretty complex. One of the best, if not the best of the non-Belgians.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue