La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,028 |  Reviews: 2,970
4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours initially clear, and a little cloudy towards the end of the bottle. Pale golden orange in color. A nice fluffy white head leaves some nice lacing.
Smells of a little fruit and spice.
Flavor confirms it. Fruity and a little spicy. Nice flavor and well balanced. Not very complex.
Light boddied and nicely carbonated. Slightly dry.
Very drinkable beer, even at 9.0% ABV. Refreshing and tasty. Looks like I was wrong aboot those Canadians.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

A: beautiful cloudy straw orange color with a towering nearly white head that has great retention.

S: coriander, slight pepper, citrus

T: sweet malt, orange, coriander, and slight peppery flavor

M: great amount of carbonation that gives a light feeling rather than a harsh force carbonation. Medium body on this is still pretty heavy feeling, but it becomes lighter as it warms.

O: very good tripel, but I am just about done with spice as I've had a lot of spiced beers in the last couple of days. Will come back to it, but I don't think it's quite on par with the trappist versions.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

A- amber with lots of activity, plenty of white head.

S- A crisp floral smell, very inviting.

T- Light sweet with fruit notes and some malt comes out as well.

M- Crisp and bubbly feeling just something I want to drink.

D- Easy and refreshing, I will pick this up sometime next summer.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Ah, La Fin du Monde. I've held off reviewing because I have a really hard time separating out specific aromas and flavors with this one. We'll give it a go. Poured, as usual, into a Duvel tulip.

A - Hazy, burnt orange. A flat-topped 2-finger foam head forms and is retained very well, leaving nice, if somewhat spotty, lacing behind.

S - Citrus, baked bread, and slightly funky yeast, none of it overpowering.

T - Everything present in the nose is present here, but a touch more refined. Generic citrus becomes mild grapefruit and tangerine, the baked bread is now a piping hot wheat loaf, etc. Also there is a hint of cloves and black pepper, presumably from the yeast.

M and D - Creamy, medium body with consistent carbonation and a dry, slightly hot finish due to the otherwise-masked ABV. Very easy to drink.

This is a go-to, readily available beer, and I really like it, but I don't love it. Not at all sure why it rates as the best Tripel here, although it is markedly better than most US brewers' attempts at the style. Give me Westmalle or Cinq Cents any day. I need to proper reviews for those soon.

Sampled: 12.28.05

A light white foam head of about an inch & a half rests atop a mostly clear, bright pale gold. Very bright looking, as if it has its own light. There’s a slight yeasty haze, but nothing too thick. Bubbles fade and not much lacing occurs.

The smell is of sweet malts and sugars typical to the tripel/Belgian Pale styles and also possesses the twangy Euro funk of the same.

There’s a tart sweetness off the bat. I know BA calls it a Belgian Strong Pale, but damn if this doesn’t taste like a Tripel to me. Oh well, styles shmyles, this is damn good! There is a pilsner-esque hop oil bitterness right at the end that separates it from the tripel style I think though. This beer is HIGHLY carbonated, super bubbly and tingling on the tongue. Much like Miller High Life, I’d say this is a challenger for The Champagne of Beer. ;-D
The alcohol really didn’t make a flavor appearance, and to be honest it didn’t warm me up as much as I’d figure 9% to do, so maybe it’s lower?

It’s drinkable depending on how you handle the bubbles. I drank the3 of the 4 pack over the course of 5 or 6 nights. (The most recent on NYE….Champagne of Beers I tells ya!) And one was good enough per time. And even though the alcohol wasn’t as present as I’d figured, I’d still be careful, because maybe after 2 it could creep up quickly. Great beer.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

cloudy yellow ale with a little yeast floating around. Thin white head, no lacing. Sweet aroma with a balanced taste of sweet malt and a little tartness in the finish. The aroma is faint and the taste is similar - not overpowering but a very nice ale, the unibroue's are really impressing me.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into tulip. Two plus fingers of off-white head that slowly collapses to a ring and a few small foamy islands. Pale apricot gold color that is hazy. Bubbles rise single file - cool to watch. Aroma is apple/pear cider, doughy yeast, clove, alcohol. Clove flavor up front then malty sweetness followed by drying alcohol. More hints of cider. A touch of hop bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, creamy texture, lively carbonation, drying finish.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

750ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Hazy yellow-orange colour with a big bubbly long lasting head. Even after many sips there's still a 5mm cap and plenty of lacing

S - Lots going on but it's surprisingly not overpowering or off putting: Sweet (almost like candy), bananas, oranges, peaches, apples, spices, yeast and alcohol notes.

T - Plenty of sweetness upfront with honey and caramel notes. Then it's a mixture of fruity flavours dominated by bananas and orange peel. There's also a nice spiciness and the finish has a bit of an alcohol bite. Despite the ABV being 9% some of the alcohol is well masked by the fruit & sweet flavours. As it warms up the finish gets more bitter. Overall the balance is certainly on the sweet side.

M - Good carbonation, creamy, tangy and plenty of sugary stickiness. The sweet stickiness lasts all the way into the finish.

D - This is good stuff. Not something I would drink regularly but certainly well enjoyed on occasion.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

A very reputable Belgian brew that I choose this afternoon at the Southlake Central Market. The beer pours a nice wispy head that I am rather impressed by. The head slowly disappated living a small opaque trace of lace down the sides of the glass.

A very nice wheat smell is the sense that I get for the aroma of this beer, almost like a hefe. The color is a nice yellow, with a small amount of haze.

The taste was slightly bitter as it went down, but the aftertaste had a pleasant sweetness. A fine flavor for a Belgian Tripel. The taste and the color make the high ABV of this beer slightly amazing.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

This is a revisit of a beer i was unimpressed with a few years ago, Sometimes on the revisit i am blown away, Duval is one example.

Looks great, nice large pillowy puffy head. bone white. lots of lacing,a great looking beer.

Aroma is nice, pretty mild overall but pleasent non the less, peppery and mild esters.

Taste is solid yet mild which allows more then a few notes to play out. Spices of clove and crushed pepper, light dried banana, timid belgian yeast, very faint green apple, dry straw, and mandarin. none of these flavors dominate and they are all subtle and woven into each other.

Medium to high carbination gives a great mouthfeel that is just slightly dry but not very. The subtleness and complexities and easy and refreshing mouthfeel make this a good summer beer.

I did enjoy this much more this bottle around, perhaps its the warmer season, perhaps its because last time around i was drinking many RIS, or perhaps my pallete has devoloped enough to appreciate this more, maybe all three.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer gets really good reviews and anytime you have a highly hyped drink it can sway your judgement. I wanted to try this because of the recommendations. I'm not swayed on hype, I want results!

Served cold from a bottle in a witbeer glass.

When I first tried this my initial impression was to just judge the taste and no other factors. Just by taste alone it is good. Not great, but good. I'd drink it for sure but it doesn't blow me away. When you look at what's going on with this beer it become a bit more impressive. La Fin Du Monde has 9% abv and I surely couldn't tell that when drinking it initially... but boy will you feel it later on! That is quite impressive to me how they can blend it so perfectly.

LFDM definitely has a nice spice presence to it and it has the pleasant taste of fruits (apples, pear, and a little banana like you would get from a hefe). There's just something missing to me. I think its the mouthfeel. It just feels too liquid to me. I wish it had a thicker presence in the mouth like a good hefe. I think that would elevate it greatly for me. It's a good beer, but overhyped in my opinion. Of course many people may be judging this based on the "stlye" (tripel) and I'm not. I'm judging it as a drink alone. I haven't had many triples to compare it to to be honest but I'm sure its one of the best triples! Expertly blended!

Regardless, another beer tried! I have another Unibroue beer to review in a few days. Hoping for the best! :)

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

Sheeze, when do the bubbles stop here? I can't even pour it out of the bottle yet!
Pours out like a bubbly ice tea. A slight tint of orange and the foam is white and very huge. Not a lack of carbonation here.
Clove and cinammon and fruit hit the nose first. The yeast and hops are hidden way in the back.
Fruity flavor with a dirty aftertaste. Can't taste the alcohol but can feel it. The dirty aftertaste is throwing me. No bitter hops here.
Mouthfeel is not what I expected but it starts out clean and finishes clean. The dirty taste in the middle is unwanted.
Strong to say the least. Nice mixture of lots of flavors though.

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev -6.3%

It pours golden and with a lovely creamy head of a very long retention. Aroma is spicy and sweet, with Belgian yeast dominating. The taste is not as sweet as the aroma suggests but the spices come through strongly. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick. A very well balanced tripel.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue