La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,932 | Ratings: 9,879
4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

What can I say about this exceptional beer that hasn't already been said?
Appearance> Light apricot colour, big creamy head, lacing.
Smell> Slightly alcoholic, cinnamon, cloves. Loverly.
Taste> Complex, excellent trippel. Spicy start, overtaken with a shot of wheaty goodness, sweet, then salty finish. Less bite than others, which some may dislike, but on the other hand, it makes it extremely drinkable.
Mouf> Creamy, perfect consistency.
Drinkable?> Oh dear, yes. Mmmm

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: golden straw and apricot colors. What the heck, it's the same as all of the other reviews.

Smell: REALLY good. Great, even. I have pretty poor taste buds, therefore my sense of smell isn't as good as most reviewers apparently, but I know what I like. This is damn good. I'd have 3 in a row if I could afford them. Not worth a utility payment.

Taste: I sure wish I could taste those esters of banana and alcohol lingering at the back of the palate, the pepper and the spice and the citrus. Well I CAN taste the citrus, it's kind of a cross between grapefruit and lime... subtle.

Nothing about mangoes however. It's not like we went to a Whole Foods Market or a fresh fruit stand in Africa. We are drinking beer for God's sake. It tastes like beer and smells like beer but it's one of the best I've ever tasted. There's kind of a funky "curl" feel/taste at the back of each sip that kind of reminds me of wee Scotch ale. It's awesome. I don't know what that is. Maybe someone can elucidate. My coarse taste buds don't give me a visual, so to speak.

Sorry I can't add detail to that. My taste buds are screwed. Sorely lacking. And I'm going to say a version of that statement in pretty much every review I do. I feel inferior in some intrinsic physical way to those who can taste nuances.

Feel: Medium-thick, but of course it's a liquid so it's not that thick. It's not like a smoothie or something. Anyway I think people who drink beer will know what I mean. People who only drink smoothies won't. Sorry dudes, you need to drink some beer to check it out.

Overall: this is an incredibly drinkable beer, complex flavors that I cannot begin to describe even though I'm a word guy. Therefore that tells me my taste buds are screwed and I can't taste things as intensely as many reviewing here. But it's complex and dry but sweetish--but not overpowering sweet-- and citrusy and high alcohol which I totally appreciate! Loooove a buzz! Compared to a Bell's Oberon (not this style, I know), which has way too much bitterness-to-sweetness ratio, it strikes the right balance.

Awesome brew! There might be some things that could be done to make it a five out of five but I could not begin to describe what those are. I can sense them just out of the range of my perception however. Sorry Alstrom Brothers, I can't match your 5 out of 5.

4.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazy gold. Pours out with a thick head even with a slow pour, but it subsides and a hint of foam lingers afterwards
S- Sweet fruits and a full blast of Belgian yeast; slight hint of alcohol
T- Strikes the perfect balance of sweet and bitterness. Other tripels I've had have been a bit too bitter for my taste, but this sublime beer finds that sacred balance.
M- medium, appropriate carbonation; slightly sticky - the taste lingers nicely
O- Easily in my top 3 beers; Unibroue sure knows what they're doing!

4.74/5  rDev +10%

I've been enjoying Unibroue's fine selection of beers for quite a while now. I was amazed to find (colecting dust on the floor) a 6 pack of this particular brew labelled "2000" at a local corner store.

All I can say is : store this gem. Stash it, Keep it celared away and forget it for at least 4-5 years.

I've had fresh "la fin du monde" and as some might have mentionned, carboniation is strong and alcohol taste is also very pronounced. After 4.75 years of shelving these attributes haved toned down, giving it a mellower yet fully flavored "la fin du monde".

Don't get this review wrong, this brew does not grow weak with time, it grows... becomes more mature...

Store this beer! I beg you!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Several four-packs were on the discount kiosk at our local Publix and at a decent price, and since I hadn't had one in a few years, well, twist my arm.

It pours a cloudy, lemon-Jello color with some sediment floating around. When the light hits it at a certain angle, there's a neon quality to its appearance. Thin, off-white head that holds its own for the duration.

Some wonderful aromas: coriander, orange peel, banana, funky yeast, ripe honeydew. No alcohol.

This is a delicious tasting beer. The sweetness comes through powerfully, but not a sugar and heavy syrup that will coat everything and mask the flavors: melons, honey, tangerines, faint coriander, , buttery caramel. Very little in the way of carbonation, and no alcohol burn - the brew-masters are masters. There's a silky quality to this one, too.

Hopefully, more will be on discount.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- hazy straw, 1 1/2" bubbly white head

S- citrus, spicy apple cider, banana, peach, pear, metal

T- banana, white wine, apple cider, citrus, grapes, pear, spices

M- medium body, crisp carbonation, alcohol warmth

O-this is my 3rd Unibroue, all 3the are my favorite belgian style beers. This one is a liquid fruit cocktail. So many different fruits attack the senses that i'm sure i missed some in my review. For a 9% abv brew the alcohol is extremely tame, enhancing the flavor and leaving a somewhat white wine like flavor. Spices and sparkling apple cider round out this amazing brew.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

nother tripel from my trip to Lucky 13 in San Fran, this time in a bottle. Poured a hazy golden color with a thick two finger head and great lacing.

Smells of yeast, green apples, clove, and pear hit my nostrils. This is gonna be good.

On the palate its heavy green apple and pears along with yeast and spice. Spec-frickin-tacular. Finish is a nice combo of sweet malt and tart fruit with a good sting from the carbonation.

This is probably one of my favorite beers of all time. Without a doubt the best triple I've tried so far.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

This is a regular purchase of mine when I get to Rochester, NY It's brewed in Canada by Unibrew.

Nice fruity aroma. Little citrusy smell to it

Apearance color on clarity on head retenion was not high.

Flavor Noticable alcohol, with spicy and fruity flavor
A clean warm finish. Nice for this first cold Western new york night. Perhaps not the end of the world here, but we're close by.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

This is what a beer should be! I first tried this one at a local deli and was blown away. Then, my brother-in-law got me this one in a gift of beers. Thanks bro.

A - Clear, golden/bronze hue with carbonation bubbling up. 1/2 inch of head with lacing present throughout most of the beer.

S - Yeast and malts come bursting forth to the nose. A pleasant sweet smell arises reminding me of caramel apples.

T - Smooth and malty up front, hints of warm cider going down. Great.

M - Excellent carbonation, very smooth.

D - At 9%, this beer will leave you feeling good.

Poured 750ml bottle dated drink before 5/16/15 into Chimay snifter

A-Pours a semi-cloudy golden color. Nice white head that thins down fast but lasts till end. Lacing on glass.

S-Aroma is classic Belgian. Yeasty, floral and ripe banana.

T-Taste is malt, banana, bready, citrus (lemon). Were it is differant is the finish is not as strong in alcohol than most in this style. A little nutty with some lingering yeast.

M-great mouthfeel medium balance, good carbonation and nice clean dry finish

O-overall this a great triple. My first drink by Unibroue, I want to try more others

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Or dirty old sock. Tastes and smells like pure bliss, either way! Just kidding, of course. I do have an actual review, please read on. But whether or not you like this beer, if you have any sense of humor at all, please visit the Unibroue website and view the videos of the "legends" of this and other Unibroue beers. The sommelier has been chosen directly from Quebecois Central Casting and is an absolute delight to watch and listen to.

My review:

A: slightly cloudy honey with an initial thick head (or "collar", per the sommelier) which dissipates into lace which lingers for a long time.

S: wheat, malt, a hint of the high ABV

T: pepper, wheat, honey. a hint of cloves, coriander.

M: delightfully effervescent for the duration; this is when you really get the hit of alcohol. Malty, full, comforting. As my friend and I are fond of saying, "it tastes like liquid wheat".

O: excellent. The only possible knock I can place on this is the high ABV. It is so highly drinkable that it's easy to overdo it. I guess that's why they sell the 12-oz bottles in 4-packs only :-)

I tried this beer once several years ago on a whim, just to try something different (I was amused at the name and graphic depiction of Quebec). At the time, I thought, "this is the best beer I've ever tasted". I have tasted many fine beers since that time, always thinking I'd find something better. I haven't yet, but I have held off a few points on the off chance that I will, someday. But if I don't, I'll still die happy.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

I have had this beer more times than I can count. It was one of the first craft brews I ever enjoyed and it appeases me to finally get to review it!

A - A deep rich yellow which looks as if it were dense straw. The head is large and coated with small bubbles. Ample lacing makes this a beautiful Tripel.

S - An explosion of sweet banana and fruits alongside spices that tickle the nose. Comes together on the rear with some sweet malts.

T - Follows the nose with the addition of big malts, sweet honey and some citrus. This beer is not for every occasion, although if one is looking for a desert beer with big ABV and smooth taste, this is the one.

M - The hops burst and tingle the palette and recede as the carbonation eases off. Big bodied with a light crisp taste. Fantastic.

O - This is one of my favorite beers for a reason: it is unique and absolutely huge given the sweet nature. Truly the pinnacle of what Unibroe has produced and I will be drinking this one until they cease production.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Holy Cow... Go Quebec! This is a wonderful beer. Fruity nose, but with no cloying, too-sweet flavors. You get the pears and tropical fruit, but when coupled with gentle hopping the flavor profile mellows into a balanced, pleasant drinkability. The hazy appearance is lovely and golden. This is a great late summer beer. I will certainly get it again!

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a hazy yellow with two fingers of light fluffy head that lingers.

Nose has pepper, spice, the Unibroue characteristic yeast, banana, cloves.

Taste follows nose. Powerful beer! Finishes dry.

The beer has multiple layers and is a real experience. One of the best available from Canada.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Ready-Set-Enjoy a super fun drinking beer! The pour is sophisticated and just the correct beautiful foam lingering head. The spices are correctly proportioned, somebody said grapefruit, maybe, but absolutely a nice citrus, then comes banana and a hint of coriander. Nothing overdone, well balanced, smell so intriguing, almost a sexy come on. Unibroue always seems to hit it out and this tripel certainly maintains their tradition of excellence. As with all high ABVs, think about it before driving after a couple of these, but that said, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First time review of a beer I have enjoyed many times

Poured from 750 ml bottle into Ommegang chalice for me and had to share the remainder with wife & youngest son- dammit!
This beer looks,feels and tastes like a triple should. It is as good as it gets for a North American brewed triple. I was able to buy for $6.49 on sale- bought 2 & should have bought more since it will store just fine.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Bottled on 12/17/2012. Review date 9/30/2013.

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color. Hazy, opaque appearance. Carbonation bubbles streaming up the glass. Approximately a finger of a creamy, white head consisting of tight, white bubbles. Recedes slowly, leaving a persistent lacing. Very good looking tripel.

Smell: The aroma kicks off with a pop of fruity sweetness, lots of grape character, a bit of apple, some underlying dark fruits (figs/raisins) and a citric tartness. Beneath this there are hints of malts and bready notes, cracker-like qualities. Finishes with some earthy characteristics and a black peppery spiciness. Very complex aroma as it unfolds in the nose.

Taste: Starts with a sweetness, less pronounced than the nose. Many fruit characters, some champagne-like grape flavors, some orange and green apple as the sweetness fades into a slight tartness. This is carried along the tongue as it fades into the malt flavors, some cracker and biscuit breadiness, leaving a spicy finish, notes of pepper and clove, some general baking spice flavors. As complex as the nose, a joy for the tongue to pick apart.

Mouthfeel: Good body to this one as it first hits the tongue, a powerful scrubbing from the numerous carbonation bubbles scrubs over the tongue, leaving a sharp tartness. A bit of a powdery feeling as the bready notes start to hit on the taste, which grow into a velvet smoothness as it finishes. Leaves a bit of warming from the alcohol at the end which just pairs perfectly with the spicy finish. Fantastic stuff.

Overall: This is an excellent beer. An absolute joy to drink. Perhaps best of all, it's so readily available and at around $8.49 a bottle in this area, it's greatly affordable for the quality. If this is the end of the world, this beer is not a bad way to go out at all. Wonderful stuff from Unibroue.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Translucent yellow with orange hues. Beautiful.

S: Bready sweetness with slight fruits

T: More of the same, literally. An exponentially sweet and bready taste. Amazing.

M: Gives every other tripel a run for its money. A shining star.

O: Perhaps my favorite beer brewed. A perfect balance of every criteria.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Hazy straw color; very fizzy to style; malty / spicy nose; 9% alcohol comes through immediately on first sip; wide complexity of flavors from spices, vanilla, clove, lemon and banana with mild lactic sourness; moderate late hop presence with long spicy hop finish. A beautiful and complex ale.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Golden and slightly hazy with a very nice white head that leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

S: Lots of sweet malt comes through before its overtaken by the yeast, which has a good amount of spiciness dominated by cloves.

T: The cloves spiciness dominates again and the 9.0abv exudes a nice alcohol warmth. Some grassy malt in the background, but this is all about the yeast.

M: Medium body with quite a bit of carbonation.

D: Sublimely drinkable. One of the beers that truly turned me on to the good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

APPEARANCE - Opaque amber with a 4-finger head that lasts. A bit of lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Sweet, malty, fruity, herbaceous.

TASTE - Hoppy, piney, herbaceous, a little sweet. ABV well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - A bit of carbonation.

VALUE - Import price -- but it's only Canada!

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Very quaffable.

Serving Type - 12oz bottle

Apperance - Dark golden cloudy pale color. Nice White head with little to no lacing

Smell - Cloves and spices. Kinda sour smell lingers a little.

Taste - CLOVES! tasted just like it smelled. also light fruit peach flavor. and i can tasted a little banana. very pleasant mild alc taste. hidden well for 9%abv.

Mouthfeel - Excellent Carbonation nice thick mouthfeel

Note - One of the greatest beers i have had to date. Very complex taste. I enjoyed this beer from start to finish. Worth evey penny i paid for it. Highly Recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Maybe the best beer I've had so far since discovering craft beers. Smells like banana, cloves, and some apricot, but this is definetly the most complex beer I've tasted. I first tasted pineapple.. apricots.. bubblegum.. sour apples.. then the medium hop-y bitterness hit me. I didn't taste any alcohol until I was almost finished with the bottle. Drinkability is high - I seriously could go for another one, but I'll be passed out on the floor mid-way through. The alcohol is very well-hidden.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Body is a lighter golden color, lots of little bubbles dancing around. Topping that is a big white head. Lots of malt on the nose, sweet candy, hints of citrus. The taste explodes on the tounge. Big sweet malt front, followed by some spicyness. Fair amount of hop, some fruit tones. Warm alcohol eventually shows up. A great mouthfeel. Very tasty and quite refreshing. Nice.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

La Fin Du Monde was a great ale for the price or even not considering the price it was great. Cheaper and better tasting than most from Belgium and America. Unique malt, yeast, and candi taste that was one of the most drinkable Tripels I have had. Maybe similar to St. Bernardus but it's been a while sinc I have had that. But at $8.50 a bottle a lot cheaper than many others with comparable excellent taste level.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue