La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,074 |  Reviews: 2,980
4.05/5  rDev -6%

Pours a golden copper color, cloudy, with an active foam eminating from the bottle fermentation. There are some bits floating around.

Smell is slighty fruity, bready, and malty.

Taste is very, very good. Extremely flavorful - feels saturated with yeast. Heavy on the malt.

Chewy in the mouth. Active buzz from carbonation.

Taste makes it drinkable, carbonation cuts down on this a bit, as does the 9% ABV.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy strawlike yellow with a pillowy head that dies to a nice lace. Smells of sweet fruit, yeast, clove, and tea. Tastes of spicy clove, malt, pear, tea. Feel full in the mouth with a lively tickle on the tongue from carbonation. Finishes a little dry with a touch of alcohol and a big warming effect. This is a sipper for sure and a delight to drink.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Cloudy golden yellow, with a brown tint. Decent head, good retention, not much lacing.

S - Strong citrus grapefruit, pear, and some lemon. Sweet malts.

T - Similar to the aroma. Initial flavor is of citrus, lemon, and sweet malts. The finish has a strong yeast, bready type flavor. A hint of sourness. Alcohol is masked but evident.

M - Medium bodied, creamy, very lively.

D - A well rounded brew. Good example of the style, the taste is excellent. This is a perfect sipping beer. Although the drinkability is nice, the alcohol is present and will sneak up on you fast. Just another impressive offering from Unibroue.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Beer pours a hazy pale golden straw color with a frothy white head that dissipates somewhat quickly into a nice cap.

On the nose I get pretty standard banana and clove aromas. Yeast and spice aromas present as well. Slightly bready and estery. I also get notes of lemon.

Taste initially follows the nose with prominent banana, clove and spice characteristics. Lingering clove and spice. Slight grassiness. Yeast and bread characteristics also come through. Finish is lingering clove and spice with slight esters.

Mouthfeel is tingly from the effervescence. Highly carbonated, medium full body.

Overall, quite impressive. Love the champagne-like quality of the carbonation, makes it an interesting drinking experience. I remember having this one in college when I first started drinking craft beer and I had no idea where to even locate it on the style spectrum. Nice to revisit it with a new appreciation.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

This beer emits foam from the bottle head after the cork pops, but moves so slowly it practically solidifies in mid air. I've been looking at this beer on the shelf at the beer store, knowing someday I'd be in for a treat and today was the chosen day.
The color is light and airy in appearance, similar to apple juice, but as difficult to see through as Guinness. Thin but resiliant head. The nose is spicy and mixed with the familiar "bananaclove" flavor usually found in a hefe. The alcohol is masked brilliantly. The nose is also improving rapidly as it warms.
The taste is strong and flavorful but finishes very clean and with a dry, mellow aftertaste. Definitely at certain breaks in the sip the taste shades towards champagne before the thicker texture takes it back towards ale country.
This is a quality product. It's not perfect but definitely deserves a place among the better Grand Cru types.

4.05/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks great. Nice bright vibrant golden color. Big pillowy frothy white head.

Smells zippy and citrusy. With a rich gaminess of mushrooms and maybe even fresh eggs. Some coriander is definitely present.

The smell deceives the taste as the spice and gaminess yields to more of a bread yeast flavor. Earthy richness rounds out the yeast and the finish is surprisingly salty. Frankly the bread yeast is a bit too bold.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Quite viscous and a big filling beer. Saltiness again adds to dryness.

This is a nice example of a triple considering it is actually Canadian. I'm curious where the yeast came from. Overall it might have been a tad too yeasty which took away from some of the drinkability.

Edit: First review was December 13, 2014; I bought another and cellared it for nearly 2 years. The viscous texture appears to have now thinned out which was my biggest drawback before. I now detect more tart fruit on the finish as well with pear and apricot and a buttery oak finish that contrasts with a lively prickly tart spicy finish. If you have the patience, I recommend cellaring a bottle, I really like the results. I may just give it another try.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Reviewed from notes-- and I was rather brisk in reviewing this one, I have had it many times and decided to review this one when it turns out I was short on time (wife had plans I guess).

Poured into a Duvel tulip from a bomber.

Pours a hazy straw colored golden with 3 fingers of thick, fluffy white head. Nice lacing. Looks really nice.

Smells citrusy with perhaps apples and bananas? Smells clean and fresh. Taste follows the nose. Crisp and refreshing. Would pair well with a veggie burger and a salad which is what I just did.

The body is light and airy with tons of carbonation. This is a beer that would fool most people with its easy drinkability but high ABV. An excellent tripel.

A: Light Amber, creamy head, decent retention

S- spicy, a bit of citrus and honey

T: Banana, touch of cloves?. Nice Hop balance

M: Medium body. Plenty of carbonation.

O: Very drinkable, Nice solid beer for the style

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass. Served at about 40F which seemed a bit cold, but no major change in flavor or aroma as beer warmed up to 46-48.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

A - This doesn't look the same as I remember. Pours to a cloudy deep orange color. Not a lot of head, but a thin layer of bubbles remains long after the pour. Lively carbonation is apparent. This one bubbles almost like a champagne.

S - Smell is a little of light fruits, but much more yeasty with spices and a touch of alcohol. Doesn't smell overly sweet in my opinion. Pleasant overall.

T - Taste is of sweet and sour fruits, along with a balance of sweet malts and then a warming alcohol/spice mix which is pleasant overall. You can tell this is a strong beer, but you certainly wouldn't expect it to be 9%.

M - Fairly full bodied and loaded with carbonation. Probably the weakest aspect of this particular beer to me. I think it could stand to be a little more smooth without so much carbonation, although this is a fine example of a tripel.

D - This one is pretty drinkable at 9%, which is why I suggest you don't pound 4 packs of them on a regular basis. You can feel this stuff after one, but keep em coming for me.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Fantastic example of the style. Skittles in a beer. Seriously, big Ivory head takes a while to dissipate leaving nice lacing in the tulip. Smells of yeast, pear, apple and banana. Hops are there but not very noticeable. Big time fruit like in the smell but with a boozy bite that brigs it together nicely. Great fluffy mouthfeel without getting foam in the mouth. Very drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

This is a good beer, but not on a par with the best examples, such as Affligem Tripel.
It holds all the hallmarks of a Belgian-style beer: nice color, thick head, wheaty aroma. It is just that it's a bit watery for a Tripel. I'd like more substance, more hearty goodness. As it stands, it can't really match up to the same range of foods that a traditional Belgian Tripel could. It's best drunk on its own, really.

Nevertheless, it drinks very well and, in absence of a Hennepin Ale in my closest local grocery store, will pass for a Belgian-style ale if need be.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

This is actually my second Belgian style beer I have ever had, so unfortunately I cannot really compare it to anything.

It's golden-orange with a white wispy head. It smells like champagne. Some funky, banana, and clove in the taste, all nicely balanced. This beer is chewy with fine dense carbonation.

Overall, I liked the MadElf (my first ever full Belgian style beer) better, but I can imagine why this is rated higher. It is well-made and well-balanced. I have opened up a whole new beer chapter.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

I had The End of the World in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours a hazy orange-yellow with lots of bubble action. There is 2 fingers of foam that cut down to half a finger quickly. There is minimal lacing left on the glass. There smell is a citrus aroma with some light spices. The taste is fruity with a fair amount of hops to balance it out. The taste mostly reminds me of oranges. I was really surprised by the heaviness of the mouthfeel The drinkability is also fairly good for a 9% bew. This is a session beer with a punch.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

The end of the world...a solid non Trappist tripel. It as good as it is ubiquitous, meaning it is the everyday tripel (if there can be such a thing). Heavy taste of banana and clove, mouth-feel is nearly perfect. Drank in the past, drinking now, and will drink in the future; not a perfect beer but a damn good one.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

It's been awhile, so it's time to revisit this well regarded tripel.

Appearance - A light orangish-gold color. A little head that quickly gets out of the way. However, a nice ring hangs around. It's a good looking beer. A little cloudy. It's nice, but not spectacular. The Levud's I had last night seemed to glow, and for some reason this one just doesn't quite do that.

Smell - It definitely has that tart green apple smell. With some sweet candy as well. Also, a hint of citrus, and some spice. Definitely some yeast as well. I'd describe it as a spiced apple bread. If that makes any sense. It's pleasant, but perhaps a little subtle.

Taste - Definitely tart apples. It also warms as it goes down, nicely. You can taste the yeast as well, but not as much spice as I might prefer. It's a nice taste, but maybe not as complex as I might want. It's good though.

Mouthfeel - Really excellent. It has some excellent carbonation that I just love. Very crisp on the tongue. Just awesome.

Drinkability - For a pretty big beer, the booze is well hidden. However, the carbonation makes a little gassy. Too many of these and I'd feel downright bloated.

This is a very good beer. Not as complex as some tripels, but very well done overall. It's nice and crisp, and certainly sweet, but I was hoping for some funkiness to go with it all.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Apearance - Pours a coludy golden orange witha 2 finger white head that doesn't last as long as I would like it to.

Nose- Lots of clove accompanied by apple, orange apricot and yeastiness.

Palate- Very fruity, almost cidery with peach and bitter orange peel notes along with clove and some spicy/herbal hops. Bready with some definiter alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability- Lacks the complexity that would normally keep my interest.

4.05/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Somewhat heavy mouthfeel, not as light as I remembered it - might have been something about me drinking it straight out of the bottle.

The head was a bit more diffuse than I remember it, but was fairly durable, especially considering that it came out of a bottle. Color was a deep golden, fairly translucent.

This is a beer that I'll always enjoy, but it's a bit too heavy for me. Given its similarity to a hefeweizen, I'd probably grab a Weihenstephaner instead. That isn't much of a knock, since the other is one of my favorites, but as the former is widely available, it does mean I won't buy this often going forward.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

A great brew--why have I been wasting my money on costly belgians?! An erruptive pour, exploding into an enormous, frothy head that lasted for the whole amber glass. Volcanic activity below the surface, a tornado of bubbles eventually subsiding into a weak effervescence. Strong spicy smell, ethanol in the pour but didn't last. Citrus, corriander, cloves. Soapy attack, spice fading in the back of the throat, giving way to grapes, sour raspberries. Dry aftertaste, slightly tacky, leaving traces of the spice. Medium mouthfeel, slightly weak. Excellent drinkability--easily camoflagues the 9% abv.

1/2 as much as other Belgians. That's enough for my endorsement.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a wine glass

Appearance: Light straw yellow with about two fingers worth of white fluffy head.

Aroma: the first thing that comes to mind is pears. Subtle spicy and citrus notes, but pear is the predominate aroma.

Taste: For 9% alcohol it is very well hidden, but that could be a bad thing because it is also exceptionally drinkable. It is a touch spicy and finishes dry. There are citrus notes that compliment the spiciness derived from the yeast.

Mouthfeel: Very light and lively. There is a lot of carbonation in this beer, which makes it very drinkable and very refreshing.

Overall: An excellent beer from our brothers from the north. I would recommend this as a nice summer beer, but beware the alcohol; it can sneak up on you.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

A- Hazy golden blonde color with a 1" thick white head, subsiding to a nice white lacing

S-Quite bready and toasty with hints of apples, slightly grassy and floral

T-Very crisp and dry, smooth slightly sweet malt pilsner malt flavor with a slight citrusy spice or hop character

M-Very effervescent, smooth, crisp and dry

O- A nice tripel, not as malty or flavorful as others I've had. Very dry, crisp and refreshing, hides its 9% abv very well

4.05/5  rDev -6%

"The end of the World".. Nice. This is a beer I could drink all night. The 9% hides from you until the end. Crisp bite at the end is wonderful. It literary bellowed out of the bottle. Nice, thick head that left soap like stains on the glass. Smells of yeast and fruit. I had this beer about 5 years ago and forgot how good it really is. My favorite so far from Unibroue. More to come!! 750ml

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Poured into Newcastle glass finger head hazy yelloworange color. Nice lacing that fades
Real fruity with all kinds of things going through nose. alcohol in smell but not noticeable in taste. Spicy in nose and taste, rounds out with yeasty aftertaste. High Carb pops hops in mouth and swallowing keeps taste in mouth for days. Overall a delicious triple offering from Canada with great burps!!

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue