La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,059 |  Reviews: 2,977
4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance- This beer poured into my glass with a lot of head. It is a real frothy beer. The body is hazy and yellow. The head sticks around for a while but does not have much for lace.

Smell- It has a very strong wheat beer odor.

Taste- You can taste the wheat and it has fruity palate to it. It has a banana, citrus, apple like taste to it. A little spicy but not really that much

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied.

Drinkability- I enjoyed and it was a little lighter than what I had expected

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

330ml bottle bought from Beers of Europe...

This one gushed out of the bottle when opened... poured a hazy golden orange colour. Creamy head poured big and foamy with a meringue like topping which then faded to light wispy covering. Decent amount of carbonation bubbles drift to the surface.. very little lacing..

Aroma - Spicy Belgian yeastiness, strong slightly tropical fruits (pineapples, oranges, some strawberries, limes), peppery, some vanilla notes, freshly cut grass, marzipan, floral honey, sea salt notes...

Taste - Nice biscuity malts and Belgian yeast, good fruitiness (apples, oranges, some pears, light pineapples), good pepperiness, alcohol is just noticeable, honey / sugary sweetness, decent amount of anise, medicinal, fresh bread, some almond traces...

Feel - Pretty sharp and dry... light bodied... dangerously drinkable for a 9% brew...

Overall - An excellent Tripel and almost up with the best of the Belgians... recommended...

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

"The end of the world" pours a hazy pale straw/golden color with a huge off-white head that recedes to about 1/4" and doesn't disappear. The aroma seems to be that of apricot, cider, pepper/spice and yeast funk among other things. The flavor comes on with an estery, fruity malt presence. Pepper and clove follow along with a bit of heat from the alcohol. Very complex. Mouthfeel is smooth with lots of carbonation. Despite the alcohol content, this beer is very drinkable.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured with a big head and great lacing.

Smell was fruity with a hint of alcohol. Taste was fresh and clear with alcohol finish. A great example of the Belgian style. The alcohol keeps it from being a real session beer for me, but for a great taste it is a good one.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Top shelf, lots of effervescence on the tongue. Impressively light taste considering the 9.0 ABV. A very good belgian if you like that style and but not overly spiced with corriander. Would not offend the typical beer drinker but may not be as robust as some really into belgians might prefer

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, pale gold with olive tones. A large, foamy head presents itself. Lacing is adequate, nothing spectacular.

Smell: Floral hops with a palpable spiciness. Sweet malts resembling pastry or flaky biscuit. Some grape scents.

Taste: Sweetness pervades. The maltiness confronts one right away; doughy biscuit with a touch of honey forms a solid backbone of flavor for this beer. It finishes with a mild bitterness, conveying hints of floral nectar.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with carbonation that gives it a zing. A lingering aftertaste with some noticeable numbing.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, considering alcohol content and carbonation. La Fin du Monde remains happily on the tongue after swallow.

Notes: Simply beautiful presentation. Silver foil around the top of a bottle that slopes to resemble a woman's shoulders. Very inviting, and very tasty.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

75 cl cork and caged bottle. Poured initally a translucent pale golden color, following with a definitive murkyness from the natural yeast sediment. This yeast sediment, like other Belgians and Belgian-styles, attributes significant flavor profiles that would not be present if either the beer was to be filtered in the brewing process or not decanted into the goblet as to freely distribute the sediment. I believe this beer is more enjoyable with the yeast thoroughly mixed with the beer. It is rather spicy in the nose (Unibroue tends to use many different spices and keeps those recipe formulas under wraps; I know this from talking to one of the brewers at a beer festival I was working at), with evidence of a healthy dosage of candi sugar and some subtle hops (most likely indigenous to North America). Initially sweet and the intricate smorgasboard of spices come through. Finishes drier yet the spice aspect of the beer still lingers. Mouthfeel's heavy yet smooth, not as invasive as one might expect for a Belgian-style at around 9%. Recommended.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A beautiful cloudy golden color with a large and fluffy near white head - plenty of lacing. The nose is vinous with plenty of spice and fruit notes. The flavor follows suit with nice vinous qualities and plenty of fritzy feel to go with it; almost joyous in its qualities. The feel is good and the drinkability is limited only by the unnoticed alcohol level.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

First experience was with a 0:5L and the another and then tried to get off the bar stool not knowing the ETOH.%. Lesson learned!

Beautiful light colored, highly aromatic, decepitively smooth with champagne like qualities, which is where this beer best fits! I celebrate with it, and you should too.

Walk home.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Ordered at Taco Mac in Peachtree City, GA.

Unbelievable. The two friends I was with were looking for guidance and in the mood for something hoppy, so I pointed them at Rogue Dead Guy Ale. I initially ordered a different Abbey ale, but they were out of it, so I looked at La Fin du Monde and said, "Sure, I'll try that for $5!" Unbelievable.

A: Pours a cloudy whitish yellow with a thick, yeasty, off-white head that just wouldn't go down. Swirling the yeast at the bottom and pouring it into the tulip reinforced the head with a rich, almost syrupy foam. I couldn't let all of that fall into the beer. I took a little taste of it. Freakin' awesome!

S: So good I made everybody else at the table smell the spicy hops and fruity malts and the lemony-orangey citrus. This serving got its fair share of swirling,let me tell you...

T: Man, with the hops and the malts battling it out, they made quite a ruckus on the ol' taste and olfactory senses. The flavor is well-balanced and subtle. It's like watching a show with so much going on that you have to watch it two or three times before you see everything. That yeasty goodness and wild spices delicately mask the 9% abv. You don't taste it, but you feel it when you stand up!

M: Smoothy and creamy, a long dry finish that became a little more bitter and a bit drier as the beer warmed.

D: Put this on my Wants list...

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Light golden, with a finger of thin, white head that fades quickly. Aroma is citrusy (mostly orange), spicy, malty, peppery. Mouthfeel is dry, heavy. Taste is of low hops, malty, toasty, some citrus, black pepper, lemon peel. Overall, I am not a big fan of Belgian type beers, but this one passes for me.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

I've had this beer many times on tap even and for some reason I've never reviewed the beer. But today I have one I bought in a sampler pack of 750's at Costco over a year ago. I know others from the pack have done well over time so I'm interested to see how this one did.

Drinking this in a La Fin Du Monde snifter glass.

A- Good head at front, but it faded quickly. Golden in color, very clear, looks clean and crisp.

S- Wonderful grain smell, honey, golden raisins, pineapple, a citrus note of something very light in here as well.

T- This isn't bad after a year, very mellow. The carbination is a bit much for my liking, especially with the very mellow flavors. The citrus that I smelled comes though in the taste, not hop citrus but something a bit more subtle. Bready with a light sweet honey added. The flavors are very delicate, almost too delicate for the carbination. I don't know how well this would last in terms of longer then a year and a half.

M- The carbination is a bit much for this beer at this point in time. That aside the beer is light bodied for sure.

D- Easy to drink, and would be super amazing on a hot day with some light cheeses or fruits.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Depending on the light it's color ranges from pineapple juice to having hints of amber orange to it. 1-2 finger head the lingers briefly. White foam head.

S- Dark fruit with a yeasty bread quality. Very clean smell. Cloves and a touch of alcohol. A touch of citrus fruits.

T- The cloves really come through on this one. It has a spicy feel to it. Has a good balance between the malt and the hops, neither really comes across as the winner.

M- It really dries out the mouth. The spice to it leaves you with the feeling you get when you inhale after eating a breath mint. Your tongue feels cooler immediately. Leaves a filmy feeling on your tongue too. Kind of grainy.

O- OK beer for me but not my top choice. would prefer more malt.

six pack of bottles
Poured into a snifter like glass

First of all I love Unibroue's unique style and choice of advertising and bottles.

With that being said this beer is a very drinkable beer and it will no doubt sneak up on you with its hidden 9% ABV.

This beer poured a nice hazy gold almost rose gold. Medium fizzy head that dissipated and left a ring of creamy white around the edge of the glass.

Smell was not anything crazy or bold. Deffinately a smell of fruits and malt. There is one other sent that hides in the background that I cannot quite identify...

Taste is remarkably unique. A definate taste of fruits and slight slight taste of some unidentified spice. Also that hidden smell can be tasted. Maybe its the spices but there is something that I just can't quite put my finger on.

Sits thickly on the tounge and goes down a nice creamy smoth texture.

This beer reminds me of the time that I went to Montreal. Granted I was a little under the weather and not with it the entire time, I had a great beer called, I think it was called, Boreale. If I recall correctly these beers are very similar and this Unibroue reminded me of the great times I had in Montreal. So in that case I say it is VERY drinkable. This brewery really captures the essence of Canada like a good Canadian brewery should. I would recommend any Unibroue to anyone.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Tastes surprisingly like a mimosa, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Deceptively high alcohol content. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but it's clearly well made.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Serving Type : Bottle poured into a Weizen Glass.

Appearance : Pours a bright yellow and slightly translucent, but gains a orange layer when the yeast from the bottom hits, eventually settling into a light orange and very murky. A small peach colored head, about 2 fingers, lingers breifly before settling completely. No lacing.

Smell : Whole lot of berry, with hints of peach. A pleasant smell.

Taste : The berry pokes through almost immediately with a crisp bite, before settling. The alcohol greets you if you allow it to wallow in your mouth for any time, but eventually dies off. Enjoyable to feel it change from almost fruity with a crisp cut, to very soft and light.

Mouthfeel : As stated above. A hard crisp beginning, smoothing over to a fluffy feel.

Drinkability : For a 9%, very good. If swallowed quickly, you'll never feel it. If slowly enjoyed, the alcohol pokes through mid-way in taste, but fades for the finish.

Overall, I like this beer. It's a challenge to describe, so it gets bonus points for confounding the senses. The high abv% shouldn't turn anyone off, as it is very well balanced with flavors.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Nice taste. A little sweet but nice.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Now this is more like it! Large bottle, corked and caged. Poured straw/golden and semi cloudy, white tiny bubble head and leaving lace.. Still not getting much of a nose, just a bit of wheat, bubble gum and yeast. Tastes/notes of wheat, yeast, bubblegummy phenolics, fruit, candy sugar, apricots, rum soaked grapes, yum yum. Finish is sweat and smooth. Crisp and nicely turned out Canadian Belgian.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A while ago, I received a recommendation to try a few beers before I die. One of them, La Fin du Monde, was readily available at my local grocery store. I decided, "Well, what the hell, life is short, let's just get this and see how it goes" when I went shopping for laundry detergent. A funny thing happened when a Haggen employee came over to the beer section to attempt to re-stock a beer. For some reason, she asked ME if I knew where a beer was so she could restock it. Did I know where it was? Of course I know where it was. (Might want to tell you guys that as of today I weigh 225.6 pounds, down from 261.4 at the beginning of the year. Not that you didn't believe me) Uhm, here's my review of the beer.

Initial assessment: "This will be the best beer you've had in your life."

Initial red flag: The diagram on the bottle has a picture. One is of a stout glass. The other a pilsner glass with a red "X" over it. Uhm, that's the only beer vessel I have to drink out of, bottle.

It's a corked top, which I have issues with. Last time I uncorked an alcoholic beverage (champagne) the cork blew out of the champagne bottle, hit the ceiling, probably hit my roommate and bounced wildly. That's the last time I tried a mimosa.

Vessel chosen for consumption: Pint glass

Aroma: N/A. I have a bad cold and don't want to hold my nose over the glass for too long or something bad will happen to my $9.50 beer.

Appearance: Deep gold color (like an unpolished, old gold medal) with a cloudy consistency.

Taste: Mmm, tasty tasty. Usually, when you have a beer, you know the aftertaste will be heavily alcoholic and sometimes ruin your beer. Here, there's light notes of that at the very end of the sip, but heavier notes of fruit (can't identify which ones) and a very smooth taste.

Rings around the glass: Whoever thinks this needs to happen in every beer they drink is an idiot and should be shot. Counting rings in your glass? Wow, you must be really fun to hang out with at bars. "Look, there's, like, fifty individual rings around my glass!" Rings should only be seen on fingers. Even then it's debatable.

A picture of "her" showed up as I was drinking this and I almost cried. WAIT, that's an emotion, not a category.

ASTMO -- random letters you shouldn't guess on Wheel of Fortune.

I'm pretty satisfied with my choice of beer tonight. Didn't try to mask it with any food because then you have popcorn beer and what fun is that, really? I don't know about the long-term options for this beer... I'm more of a steak and potatoes kind of dude when it comes to beer. I like it, just put it in front of me and let's see what happens. Don't care too much for fanciness of it when, in my current state, drunkenness will do just fine. But this really is a good beer, you should try it and try to get a hold of it.

But for me, Captain Cheap, I'll stick with my guns and receive quantity over quality.

GRADE: B, but secretly leaning A-

--Keith

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance - Pours a hazy, golden straw with a white, fluffy 2 finger head. Great retention, resulting in a thick, creamy, sticky film on the surface.

Smell - Lots of heavy cream, a touch of coconut; sweet.

Taste - Follows the nose; soft, mellow fruit notes, with a real creamy undertone. Finishes slightly citric and with faint coconut character.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Creamy and silky. wonderfully drinkable.

Overall - As with the last 2 Unibroue brews I've tried (and I'm guessing the 4th too) this beer rides on it's excellent mouthfeel to give it it's distinctive mark in the beer world. Entirely smooth and drinkable; deceptive.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Bought this bottle from CrackedKettle after reading and hearing so much about it. I thought I must give this a shot, being a fan of Unibroue's brews. I served the Fin Du Monde in my Duvel tulip and it billows up with a nice thick head good retention. The beer itself is a hazy orange golden color. On the nose, I have yeast, malts, some floral aromas as well as a light dash of apricot. The taste comes in with very subtle sweetness and clear yeast with a nice bready malt backing to it. It was somewhat similar to some blonds but very well done in this one albeit the fact that I am not to comfy with too much yeast jumping at me. Slightly citrusy in the taste but not much fruits detected which was a pity (think there was also a dash of apricot here). Some clear bready earthy tones too. The taste was generally strong and fairly complex, although I am not a big fan of yeasty tastes, I have to take my hat of this one. The finish was also yeasty but it unveiled a most wonderful after taste thereafter. I had apricots and then clearly apples with some very sublte malt sweetness. After the apples came delicious grapes lasting though a bit and "strong", "tasty" and "lingering" would be how I describe the after taste! The Fin Du Monde is between medium to full body thickness and the carbonation was good and active. Alcohol warming and strength were clear but the smoothness was not taken away; it goes down a little dry. This is a nice beer and I am glad I tried it though I am not a big fan of blonds. This one is clearly a great blond style for whoever is into the style; it tastes more like a blond than a tripel but that's one hell of a great blond we are talking about. Although I still prefer the Westmalle and Chimay tripels, it is a different gratification that I am after. Fin du Monde is a great beer and albeit not exactly my taste, I do feel that the after taste was awesome.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

pours a beautiful hazy citrus-straw color with some fine sediment from a gentle pour. A beautiful creamy, billowy, thick head that left a bit faster than I was expecting, deflating to a thin head (more substantial than just top-lacing) that stuck with the glass to the bottom. Only a touch of spotty lacing.

aroma is of fruits and spices. Apple, pear, apricot, and banana up front, with some peppercorn, clove, cinnamon and cardamom spicing. Floral notes back up the fruits, and there's a definite yeast-mustiness that's pleasant and nowhere near as overwhelming as some.

taste is in line with the aroma: fruit and spice notes up front, with some almost-cider-like flavors coming through. Definite yeast breadiness backbone opens up into more hop bitterness and a touch of fruit sourness. The fruit and sour hints caught me off guard, but i warmed up to it quickly. Alcohol notes are minimal.

mouthfeel is beautiful. Full and warming, with some heavy carbonation. The bubbles are almost overwhelming, but they keep the appearance beautiful and keeps the mouthfeel full and creamy.

drinkability is amazing, as the flavors aren't overwhelming, the alcohol isn't overly apparent, and the mouthfeel is both tongue and heartwarming. The only drawback could be the carbonated thickness makes this one pretty filling... but that's far from a reason not to drink this one.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Nice hazy golden orange.

S - Nice lemony smell.

T - Depending on my mood, it seems, I either love this beer or feel it's just pretty good. Usually, i love it. (As I do tonight.) Bold, well balanced, between flavors and abv.

M - Always easy to drink, going down nicely.

O - A high quality beer that never disappoints and that all craft beer lovers should try.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue