La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,074 |  Reviews: 2,980

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- The beer shows a beautiful clear golden color with a fantastic soft white foam that pleases the eye and foreshadows what is to come.

S- La Fin smells sweet and light with a pronounced fruity crisp that pleases the nose.

T- The beer gently tantalized the tongue with a tangy fruity flavor followed by a medium blast of hops finished with a refreshing banana note.

M-The beer massages the tongue with excellent carbonation while leaving the mouth with a clean feeling reminding me of an excellent apple. The finish pleasantly lingers.

O-La Fin Du Monde is an excellent fruit flavored beer that pleases the eye, nose, tongue and mouth with every ounce. This beer is definitely on my summer beer list and should be on yours.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had a chance to try this on accident. After eating dinner out at a french restaurant my party and I ended up at the bar talking with the owner. I expressed my fondness for beer as he had 4 bottles in front of him. He was trying new beers for his beer list - although this beer is from Quebec - I think the French name was more important.

I found the beer to have a crisp sensation, the flavor was earthy and only mildly sweet, while there was malt flavor I would not have pegged the ABV at 9% . I found the finish of the beer to leave only a subtle bite from the hops. I don't consider my ability to separate traditional flavor accents very good so I will leave it at that.

Overall, this is a beer I would drink alone or with a meal in a heart beat. I will likely pick some up next opportunity I have and were I to see it out a restaurant, I'd pay decently for it.

I ended up recommending this beer strongly to owner, especially given the traditional french menu. Anything that you would pair a hearty red wine to you could probably pair this to as well.

3.75/5  rDev -13%