La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,066 |  Reviews: 2,978

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm writing this review after the fact, so I'm trying to remember the initial experience.

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with Dubbels and Tripels, so I didn't know exactly what to expect with this beer when I first had it.

It poured a bright golden color: very effervescent and lively with a very soda-like white foam head.

What struck me was how aromatic the beer was. I could smell some honey and fruit/berry scents: possibly apple and strawberry--very sweet.

The taste was much of the same. Very light on the mouthfeel and the 9% alcohol was masked nicely.

Overall, this was a great way to break into Belgians. I'm afraid with such a renowned offering, I may have set myself up for disappointment in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass from the fancy bottle. Foiled cap? Slightly annoying honestly.

Pours bright yellow, fizzy, with a large white, bubbly, rocky head. Awesome! Good lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is of light sweetness, honey, some pale malt, and a little banana.

The mouth follows, with some additional apple and pear, some super sweet sugar, some spice ( think christmas spice). All of this is improved with a super amazing, fizzy mouthfeel.

4.66/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Best 9.00% beer I've ever had. I prefer it when poured correctly, which most bars that I frequent don't do. For best flavor, use a Duvel-like chalice and pour at an angle slowly until about one inch of head is achieved. Then pour rest of beer into glass after about a minute or so. It has a very distinct bitter-sweet taste, although once you have acquired a taste for La Fin, it goes down very smoothly. One of my favorites, although a 4-pack where I live goes for around $11, and the bars usually charge $8-10.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feeeel fine," wrote one particular band of New Foundland origin. I can totally agree with that statement and if the world's ending, grab a bottle of this bigtime Belgian. These Unibroue folks are giving Belgians a run for their money and they have absolutely perfected all styles. I cannot find fault in this beer, but it's not for the faint-of-heart. It pours big and frothy, with the hint of sweetness you would expect from the Belgian yeast. I poured it into a snifter, like you should, and I let it relax and warm for a few minutes before inhaling. It warmed me right up and gave me the feeling like that if the world did end there and then, this beer was taking me into a world of its own! I would say that this is a beer for someone who's open-minded. Someone who likes to sit and sip a beer or two while those around him/her down pint after pint. A beer for old souls who know that if the world ends, they lived a pretty damn good life and they let out a big, cheerful "Salut!" in jest.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2.5/5  rDev -42%