Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#419

Ratings: 10,117 |  Reviews: 2,997

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

1.73/5  rDev -60%

I dispense with my ordinary long disclaimer, discussion of methodology, preamble, and anecdote.

This beer is undrinkable. It tastes like a tarted-up wheat beer or Blue Moon. I hate wheat beer. I can't judge this according to style - sorry. I had one sip and almost spit it up. I had high expectations for this beer, and was severely disappointed. I'd rather have ten Bud Lights topped off with a Pabst than a single shot of this crap all eight days of the seven-day week.

Avoid like the plague.

To style (16E: spicing is allowed): 50/100
To taste: 6/100 (yes, you read that right, SIX)

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Slightly hazy yellow color with white head. Aroma has the typical belgian yeast esters with flowers, hay, green meadow and other rustic notes. Taste starts with banana and bubblegum, also floral notes, hay and other yeast esters. Leans a bit on the sweet side but the finish is really balanced. Body is quite heavy and smooth with medium carbonation. Really classic and well made. The only downside for me is the slight alcohol presence.

3.25/5  rDev -24.8%

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

I've had numerous tripels, but this is the best overall in my experience.

It looks positively beautiful pouring out of the bottle, with the perfect lingering head that lasts for several minutes and leaves charmingly asthetic traces for up to 30 minutes, or so.

It smells wonderful. It's like an eclectic mix of the seasons that can be enjoyed year round.

There is a certain smooth thickness to it in the mouth. It is less viscous than other beers, but if you aren't calorie counting it is an amazing feeling.

The highlight of this beer is the taste. I don't think I've ever tasted a better tripel in my life. A variety of spices and fruits blend together smoothly in a pleasing manner that reminds me of cool fall afternoons in New England. It is completely unique and it must be tasted to be understood.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: A beautiful golden semi opaque body with ample carbonation and a solid amount of lacing and retention, which excuses the pinkie finger of head the pour produced.

Smell: Fruity yeast dominates the nose which touches of biscuit malt and herbal hops with a peppery cloves and slight mineral undertone. Warming didn't really help it's case and while it's nice, a little more strength is needed here.

Taste: Wow, most Tripel's I've noticed require ample warming, but this one, well it seems that my fellow Canadians knew the norm for drinking beer in Canada. A flood of fruity yeast, apricots, pears, apples, clementines, honey, all accented but a beautiful blend of peppery cloves and herbal hopping. It doesn't transition, so much as it euphoniously blends.

Mouthfeel: As I stated, the transitioning is beyond anything I could ever hope for, and the carbonation is exceptionally well done. There is a slight alcohol dryness to it, that takes a little bit away from the fruity biscuit aftertaste and wouldn't think a 9% would have, but all in all, very few complaints.

Drinkability: This stuff is exceptionally dangerous given it's ABV. It's goes down smooth, sits down well, doesn't cause any gas issues, light bodied and could easily get me drunker then a skunk in a couple bottles.

Final Thoughts: As of the writing of this review, we have a new champion as La Fin Du Monde has unseated Peche Mortel & Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier as my highest ranked beer. Unibroue has shown me the folly of not partaking in more of their beers.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue