La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,943 | Ratings: 9,932
3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

WOW! ALCOHOL!

Being a tried-and-true liberal Canada lover, I was attracted to Unibrue off the bat. I think Blanch de Chambly is incredible and their brew Maudite is one of the best I have ever tried. Maudite is also probably my favorite beer.

Opening it up, the smell is pretty "beer-like" (terrible phrasing, no?) with a little alcohol smell with yeast and some fruit notes that I couldn't figure out. Decent hop notes on the nose. I liked smelling it, it made me feel I had something special comming up.

Similar to other bottle-conditioned brews it has unflappable head retention and bubbles that don't stop.

Taste is overwhelmed by the alcohol. I did notice a nice, dry malt with modest bittering. Again, more fruit that I couldn't figure out. The flavor was quite nice... but that alcohol! It took over the flavor! If it was 7% or so it would be perfect. It also had me wishing it was a bit more bitter. Just a tiny, tiny bit more hops.

It took me a while to finish it, many swallows were forced. I liked the flavor but the alcohol just made it harder to swallow than most brews.

Maybe I need to try it more often. Maybe I had a bad bottle. I usually agree with The Brothers but this time I just didn't think of it as world-class as they do.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
12 oz bottle with a silver foiled top.

Poured into a snifter glass. Nice off-white creamy head about 1 and half inches when poured. Rings envelope the glass. Body is orange in color and a slight visibility. Aroma has note of citrus and yeast. Taste is smooth yet spicy, citrus and tons of floral characters. Mouthfeel is warm and welcoming. Drinkability is good. This is a slow sipper for me.

Overall, this is one of my favorite belgian style tripels, and I'm very glad I picked up a 4-pack instead of a single.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet. Freshness date on bottle is December 15, 2011. This beer pours an orangey-gold color that becomes quite murky once the yeast sediment is added to the glass. The high amount of carbonation in the bottle rapidly forms a large, pale white head that is supplemented by small, yet constant carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head dissipates very rapidly, and doesn't really leave any lace on my glass, probably due to the high ABV (9%).

Smell: The nose of this beer definitely screams out "Belgian", and the clove-like yeast aroma makes its presence known. There is also a generous portion of fruity esters in the nose of this beer, and there are notes of bananas, orange peel, and pears.

Taste: La Fin Du Monde quickly announces itself as a crisp, refreshing beer, and it begins with a hearty amount of soft, yet crisp carbonation that helps showcase the sweet, malt backbone of this beer. This moves to a very spicy, clove taste that is well balanced with the banana flavored esters. The beer finishes with just a touch of hop bitterness along with hints of black pepper and alcohol, and these add the characteristic Belgian spiciness to the characteristic Belgian dry finish. For a Canadian company Unibroue has done a really good job of making La Fin Du Monde taste like it's from Belgium.

Mouthfeel: As is the trademark for the style, this beer is highly carbonated, but beneath that carbonation is a heavenly smooth, medium bodied Tripel. Once the yeast is added the body is a bit fuller than without, so definitely swirl the last few drops around in the bottle and add the yeast.

Drinkability: Even though the box says "drink less, drink better" I could definitely put back a couple pints of this brew. Incredibly crisp, smooth, and refreshing, this is one exceptionally drinkable beer.

Notes: I've heard this beer called the "Canadian stand-in for Duvel", and after just drinking Duvel a few nights ago I have to agree. While Duvel is a better beer across the board, this is still one very good beer. It isn't anything that will knock your socks off, but it's still a solid offering from Unibroue. Definitely something I'll buy again.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass

Best before date printed on the back label

19 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy golden honey color. Pours with a nice white head. Very nice sticky and patchy lacing. Solid carbonation is present as well.

Smell: Yeasty and phenolic on the nose. Strong clove influence is present. Slight citrus notes. Mild banana. Very complex. Slightly herbal presence as well.

Taste: Excellent malty sweetness upon the arrival. Sweet clove taste with a lingering herbal finish. There is a warming affect of the high ABV, however the alcohol is masked very well. Intriguing. Beautiful balance between all of the tasting notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation on the tongue. Creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is quite refreshing. Very easy to drink despite the high alcohol content.

Ending notes: This is a very complex, but enjoyable brew. A perfect archetype of the style. I would highly recommend this to any beer enthusiast. Once you have a sip, you want to go back for more. Phenomenal. Best tripel I have had thus far.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours into a 16oz tulip with a brilliant golden haziness. Good two finger head rests on top.

S - Sugars and fruits. Slight alcohol.

T - Citrus with a bit of malt mixed in. Hints of bitterness and alcohol on the back end.

M - Great feel. Light to medium in body with a pleasant creaminess.

D - This one is somewhat heavy for such a light beer. ABV keeps a night full of these out of reach for me.

Fantastic!

My first review!
What amazes me most about this beer is that it is made in large quantities by a brewery owned by Sleemans, yet it is every bit a beautiful craft beer. And it can be bought at the Beer Store in a case of 24 for $46.95 making this just under 2 bucks a beer. It's not often you can enjoy a beer this good for that little.

Pours beatifully into a snifter leaving tiny lacey bubbles after the fine white head dies down. Thick slow legs. Swirling it around a bit excites the bubbles again and opens up the banana champagne aroma.

Tingles at the front of the tongue, opens up spicey and sweet then recedes at the back of the mouth into hints of banana and a kiss of alchohol that is very subtle at 9% ABV. I get a citrusy cream soda taste throughout that is just delicious. I'm very glad it is so easy to get a hold of these beers and I'm introducing all of my friends to it.

Merry Christmas all!

An ale that truly stops you in your tracks. Complex, without being moody about it. Absolutely crammed with flavours and spices, yet you could go through a pack of them with no trouble. And a nice alcohol content. I hope its not la fin du monde because I want to be buying this beauty for decades to come.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

What can one say that has not already been said? One word, bien! But, if I must expound then I shall.

This offering is sent directly to us from the great country of Quebec. One has to wonder, “will it’s pale orange appearance and citrusy aroma leave me disappointed or will it deliver on all that has been promised?” Oh oui! Kudos on a beer well built. I do enjoy Maudite more but who’s to complain?

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured with a big head and great lacing.

Smell was fruity with a hint of alcohol. Taste was fresh and clear with alcohol finish. A great example of the Belgian style. The alcohol keeps it from being a real session beer for me, but for a great taste it is a good one.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Nice golden color, slightly hazy. Very little lacing with very thin head.

S: Wheat, a hint of citrus, slight scent of hops and sweetness.

T: Hint of corriander, slightly sweet malt flavor, some citrus, some hops, hint of bitterness and alcohol at the back of the tongue.

M: Light to medium body, bubbly over the tongue, smooth.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Been saving this one for a few weeks for the right occasion. A perfect post-election beer.

Appearance: Out comes a cloudy straw colored liquid with a large fizzy white head that recedes quickly. A look that beckons to be sipped.

Smell: I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. Very sweet fruity esters. Orange peel and other mulling spices really hit a home run. Its like drinking apple cider only better.

Taste: The spices really shine along with the citrus. Very complex flavor. A slight hint of bitterness from the hops is quickly balanced by the malts. Also, where is the alcohol? Excellent job masking the alcohol taste. Oh man, I can already tell I'm going to be on the floor after this one.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right. Nice and dry finish. Perfect for sipping.

Drinkability: Normally I would give a lower rating here because of the high alcohol content. However, you don't need to drink very many of these to get the full La Fin Du Monde experience. I could easily see myself drinking one 750ml bottle for the whole night. Just sipping it slowly is enough to make you feel excellent.

Here's to hoping that the next 4 years are as awesome as this beer!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a very delicious golden straw color with a really good amount of head that leaves pretty quickly. I didn't notice any lacing at all. If you look closely, you can see a plethora of carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

The smell is very sweet and I notice some hops and malt already. I definitely noticed the pear like previous people have pointed out. I can't wait to drink this beer!

The taste was excellent. It was sweet but they also did a good job of mixing all different spices to give it a unique taste. They also do a very good job of hiding the alcohol. This can be a dangerous beer! The aftertaste was of hops, yeast and I could swear I noticed a doughy taste in there as well.

The carbonation in the drink is delightful and the first thing you notice. After that it's all about the smooth and creamy feeling. The beer almost has a dry numbing effect on the sides of my tongue. I kept wanting to sip one right after the other.

I've had this beer before but this was the first time I actually took the time to review and notice all its subtle properties. I could definitely see myself drinking this all day long, but with the 9%...I'll need to take my time with it.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Cloudy gold, not much head.

Smell - malt and spice

Taste - Fruity, especially banana. The spice and malt also come through. Great first impression and it stays great to the end.

Mouthful - Creamy and full.

Overall - I'll be drinking more of these.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2015 (current year) version: 97pts
biscuits. banana. fruity. citrus. smooth. sweet. fruity.

last night, i opened a 2013 for comparison. off the charts amazing!
2013 (cellar'd) version: easily 100pts
apricots. malt-forward. citrus. fruity. so robust. full of flavor and character.

conclusion:
I encourage you to purchase a double portion, then drink half and cellar the rest (3 to 5 years). This (2015) beer is awesome. The cellar'd version is off the charts amazing. When you get ready to consume it, completely and gently invert the bottle prior to opening to get the yeast to mix throughout and then open and pour semi-aggressive to get a full-head. It will be a cloudy pour. By mixing up the elements in the beer, your palate will thank you!

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

canadian brewery making belguin beer. To me that's a little weird, however canada is putting out some really awesome beers. I could pay a few dollars more and get a truth belguin beer. This is still a great beer. This will be the first and the last i will buy this beer. Not bad. I am kind of impressed. It has no business being with all the rest of the belguin beers. If you want a true Belguin beer please make sure you are reading the bottle. Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A tall, corked and caged 75cl glass bottle with the Eye of Quebec figuring prominently on the label. The bottle comes with a clear `best by` date, though no indication when it was brewed. The packaging is clear and stately.

Just opening the bottle releases a host of deep, fruit scents. The beer pours as a thin, opaque liquid, about the colour of honey. There's moderate carbonation that, even in my head-friendly glass, quickly fades to a ring of white. It warms quickly, releasing a thick, spicy odour. The yeast is evident in the scent, as are mildy fruity notes, just barely rising into perception.

The beer is peppery and sweet, thin to medium bodied and not syrupy. I has a distinct carbonation when drank, something not apparent from the head, that lends it a moderate bite. The fruit notes get little play in the taste, remaining just off to the side as glance of pear, or whisper apple, it's difficult to tell which. Warmth improves the character of the beer, bringing out the sweetness to compliment the initial exclamation point of allspice.

At 9% ABV, a single person could drink all 75cl by ones self, but it's definitely best shared with a friend on a cold winter night. This is a very good tripel by the good brewers at Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 12 OZ bottle into chalice glass.

A- Pours a soft golden haze. Medium pour reveals almost no head.

S- Banana bread, oranges, sweet Belgian yeast, coriander, and white pepper. A background of darker fruits, maybe a hint of fig and plum? Sweet and spicy; well balanced and inviting.

T- Sweet, chewy Belgian yeast comes out front, followed by a variety of fruits... A very complex taste. I'm getting caramel apples and oranges, with suggestions of a darker fruit profile, like figs. There's a slight bitter fruit taste at the finish. All of the fruit flavors are contained well in a sweet malt envelope. Aftertaste is of spiced bread and nuts.

M- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation that gives it a bite. Finishes slightly dry.

O- A fantastic tripel, and an amazing beer all around. Also, a fair amount cheaper than an actual Belgian tripel import (about half as expensive at my local store). This one lives up to the hype and is extraordinarily good.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured into a pint glass, the beer has an appealing color somewhere between yellow and orange. It makes you think of the slightly citrusy flavor you will exoerience. Depending on how delicately and patiently you pour it, there can be a lot or virtually no head. I had about a centimeter of head that fizzled down to a thin layer that persisted throughout drinking.

S: One of my favorite aspects of this beer. Citrus and yeast with a slight malt scent and some spice. Very inviting.

T: Also awesome. Fruity and citrusy but with a spice (I assume this is actually from the 9% alcohol). Slight bitterness but not distracting from the overall flavor. Very satisfying and drinkable yet with a lot of flavor.

F: In my opinion this is the beer's weakest point. Still feels great, but some beers are certainly better. Almost creamy with a pleasant carbonation. The alcohol has a very slight kick, but much more disguised than you might expect in a 9% beer. Nice, but not quite perfect.

O: If you haven't tried this, you really have to. Very worth the positive ratings it receives. One of the best beers I've tried to date.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A very refreshing beer. Good carbonation. Bright yellow color. Would definitely recommend trying.
Wouldn't be a regular beer for me but definitely once in a while.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, peachy gold. The three fingers of head are violent like baking soda, and dissipate after minute or so to leave spots of lacing throughout the glass.

The nose is upfront and unapologetic with the typical tripel aromas of sweet, spicy Belgian yeast - that's orange zest, clove, coriander, honey crackers and white pepper. Though there isn't much in the way of citrus, further complexity is added to the mix by a background of buttery caramel sauce, peach, and hits of sour pear. These more interesting notes are subdued on the tongue, the beer does managing to carry much of the nose's promised yeast complexity without any one flavour jumping out to mask the others.

La Fin Du Monde is very sweet, very cohesive and oh so drinkable. This is helped along by the mouthfeel, which is perfectly balanced between medium body and pillowy carbonation - that wobbly-legged 9% being hidden behind a warm, gingery finish.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from a 750 ml champagne style bottle with an illustration of Quebec on the label. Freshness date printed on back.

Appearance: Golden body colour with a cider appearance. Fairly fizzy whitish head that subsides to a thin patchy lace that's maintained by the high carbonation.

Smell: Sweet fruity and slightly floral aroma with a character similar to a Hefeweizen. Also a faint caustic alcohol smell that is pretty well hidden.

Taste: Slightly sweet and fruity upfront. Some grainy and wheat flavours come through and finishes with some dry flowery hops that is amplified with a unique type of bitterness. Sharp alcohol bitterness that amplifies the hop flavours and makes this brew finish dry, as well as reminding you to take it slow and easy with this brew, lest you become legless before the night is over.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light for such a high alcohol brew. Very refreshing though, with a tingly high carbonation level that was reminiscent of champagne.

Notes: This goes down real easy for a high gravity brew. I shared this bottle with a friend and we finished it a lot faster than I expected and were kinda tipsy towards the end. Respect the brew as they say. Overall a good beer. Well balanced and tasty. Also I would suggest this as a good beer for the craft brew fan who is uninitiated into the world of Belgian style beers.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A. Cloudy, amber to light orange appearance with nice fluffy white head. Spotty lacing.

S. Belgian style nose all over this one - yeasty charcoal, toasted bread, mild citrus and clove. Very pleasant fragrance.

T. Similar taste profile to the nose - malts and mixed fruits upon entry and then some prickly hops and a lingering banana/yeastiness on the finish. Flavor stays with you for a while

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation - feels quite nice across my entire palate.

D. This is an easy to drink beer that is very enjoyable. Keeps you warm from the first sip. A wonderful sipper. My first Unibroue beer and one that I will buy again. Highly recommend.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz to glass

A- Very cloudy yellow, with an almost sludgy look to it. A bit darker than a Hefeweisen. One finger of white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Smells a bit like a hefeweisen, banana, peach, and a little sweet honey smell. A strong pineapple smell comes out over the yeast. Very fruity and "tropical", not what I expected.

T- Quite the bite to the toungue at first, then it mellows out to the flavors found in the smell. Pineapple and yeast most prevalent. Nice sweet malts, a little honey. This isn't really to my taste but beyond style I don't have many complaints. A well brewed and interesting beer.

M- Great body, great carbonation. Feels good.

D- Suprisingly good for the abv. Really not bad at all. I wish I had more to say about this beer!

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm noticing that metallic taste as well, but it's not too off putting when the rest of the beer is quite good. A lot of carbonation in it, pours fantastically with a small amount of head.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue