Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

YOUR RATING = None |
La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,929 | Ratings: 9,859
3.69/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours an unassuming hazy copper with a course foam that dissipates quickly to a light remnant leaving rings on the glass. Lots of sediment.
Smells like bread, grass, wheat beer, and sweet malt.
Tastes different from your average bmc, no doubt.Very malty, spicy, balanced if not lightly hopped. Smells and has a slight vanilla taste.
Chewy, smooth, bitey from the high alcohol.
9.0 alc. makes for low drinkability.
Very good, very strong.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

It is a cloudy yellowish beer with a lot of foamy white head. Smell was attractive but it did not hint at how good it really tasted. It was extremely drinkable for a beer at 9% ABV. You could barely even detect the alcohol. It has a crisp fruity taste where I picked up some citrus, maybe a hint of banana, and a great hops after taste that wasn't too overbearing.
This is defiantly a great beer that I could drink a bunch more of. It is also the first Tripel I have tried so I am excited to try more and see how they compare.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Holy Cow... Go Quebec! This is a wonderful beer. Fruity nose, but with no cloying, too-sweet flavors. You get the pears and tropical fruit, but when coupled with gentle hopping the flavor profile mellows into a balanced, pleasant drinkability. The hazy appearance is lovely and golden. This is a great late summer beer. I will certainly get it again!

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Nice golden haze color with a two finger head that subsided slowly. Lots of carbonation rising in the glass.

S: I get a lot of fruit in the nose (cider/apples) mostly.

T: Similar to the smell, but a more prominent alcohol taste but still fruity and very tasty.

M: Very smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

D: Very Drinkable for a 9% ABV

Overall a great beer. No surprise from Unibroue.

Had this beer a few times and I don't see why it's such a great beer. I've had my fair share of great beers, but La Fin Du Monde for me is an overrated beer, one that overshadows many other great Canadian beers such as Creemore Springs, which I think is a far superior tasting beer than this. Personally, I think this beer doesn't rival Unibrue's Blanche De Chambly. The taste is very fruity and it has a high alcohol content. This is one of my least favorite beers, and I don't recommend it.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

A - Poured from a 12 oz bottle - hazy dark golden with crisp, thick off white head - dissipated quickly without lacing.

S - Spicy cloves and esters with a faint hint of alcohol. Bananas and sweet fruit - strawberries? Biscuit / bread aromas mingling throughout.

T - sweet, light yet deep malt flavors with the same spicy / clove flavors mixing throughout. Sweet fruit (strawberries again) fading as beer warms.

M - crispy and medium to full bodied - smooth and somewhat viscous

D - VERY easy to drink - the alcohol is well hidden. Nicely balanced and an excellent representation of the style.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

six pack of bottles
Poured into a snifter like glass

First of all I love Unibroue's unique style and choice of advertising and bottles.

With that being said this beer is a very drinkable beer and it will no doubt sneak up on you with its hidden 9% ABV.

This beer poured a nice hazy gold almost rose gold. Medium fizzy head that dissipated and left a ring of creamy white around the edge of the glass.

Smell was not anything crazy or bold. Deffinately a smell of fruits and malt. There is one other sent that hides in the background that I cannot quite identify...

Taste is remarkably unique. A definate taste of fruits and slight slight taste of some unidentified spice. Also that hidden smell can be tasted. Maybe its the spices but there is something that I just can't quite put my finger on.

Sits thickly on the tounge and goes down a nice creamy smoth texture.

This beer reminds me of the time that I went to Montreal. Granted I was a little under the weather and not with it the entire time, I had a great beer called, I think it was called, Boreale. If I recall correctly these beers are very similar and this Unibroue reminded me of the great times I had in Montreal. So in that case I say it is VERY drinkable. This brewery really captures the essence of Canada like a good Canadian brewery should. I would recommend any Unibroue to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

This is an amazing beer... I had this one on tap at D's Six Pack and Dogz, Check this place out if you live in Pittsburgh... anyways...

It pours a golden brown color with a light, fluffy, sort-of white, brown head.
the smell is great, like fruits, nuts and spices, sort of reminds me of Christmas! The taste is beyond expectations, simply put, the best belgin beer brewed outside Belgium! Now that's saying a lot and the price is nice too, compared to the expensive imports from Belgium. I could drink these all the time but they can fil you up pretty fast but I would recomend this to anyone who wants to try a good beer!

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

La Fin Du Monde...the end of the world! Well, you could do worse then downing one of these if the end were coming. Once again, Unibroue produces another fine brew (I have got to make it up there one of these days).

Poured from a standard bottle into a pint glass. Nice golden color with an impressive head that hung around for a bit.

Nice yeasty smell that made me more then ready to get started.

Very smooth up front, with a bit of bite at the back end. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overpowering. A fine tripel.

Not too thin, not too think. Definitely lingers for a few minutes, which is a good thing.

A bit dangerous, if you ask me...such a good tasting brew, yet it is stronger then you would think. I could go through the entire four pack if I wasn't paying attention.

I would highly recommend this selection. Not quite a St Bernardus tripel, but a very nice runer up.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into my Duvel tulip

Appearance: A hazy light orange. Med/hi carbonation, Poured with a two finger head that did not stick around long. A little lacing that doesn't last long either.

Smell: I get apples and pears, alcohol smell is present as well.

Taste: Very fruity, I could smell the alcohol, but in my opinion it's almost undetectable to the taste. A tad on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: One of my favorite attributes of this beer is how it feels in my mouth. It fills it up. Feels heavy but very smooth.

Drinkability: I would have this beer again. Drinking mostly American pale ales, the Belgian strong ales are pretty new to me.
But I loved every one I tried so far. At 7.99 a 4 pack, I think it's a steal.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Bought a 750ml bottle of this down at the bottle shop. Was looking for something a little out of the ordinary, and when I compared the price of this bottle to getting a single 12oz bottle from the beer bar nearby, it was a steal.

Appearance: Cloudy, golden yellow with a nice head that left a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Fruits and spices, maybe just a hint of alcohol as well.

Taste: There's some alcohol in the finish on this one and it tends to linger, but it is not unpleasant in any way. Slightly sweet/fruity (bananas came to mind), some spices.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, goes down easy and leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

Drinkability: This one is quite drinkable, it is refreshing and tasty. It weighs in at 9% ABV so it might sneak up on you.

Overall, a great drink. One of my favorites.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured into a tulip pint glass and was extremely foamy, probably due to the extra bottle fermentation . Very pale straw yellow, very light, a little cloudy, nice sweet apple smell, lots of fruity tones, yeasty incredibly long lasting head. Very much like a Duvel, alcohol was balanced nicely with the malt and hops. Pretty full bodied, lots going on in this brew. Pretty good stuff.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A--No exaggeration: looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider.

S--Citrus and sweetness, with a bit of malty goodness.

T--Sweet and savory with the taste of apple and finishes to some citrus. Light burn of alky adds a bit of warmth.

M--Effervescent and bubbly, but still thick and substantial.

D--Dangerous, very dangerous. So easy to drink and quite potent. Consuming a whole bottle would be inadvisable if you wanted to stay....sharp.

Very good, lives up to its reputation.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into my trusty highball from the bottle with dinner.

Appearance: I don't know if the fridge conked out or something, but there was an enormous amount of foam with this beer, even when poured sideways. When the head finally dissipated, leaving nice lacing, it was golden at the edges and a dark straw at the centre, and more than a bit cloudy.

Smell: smoky and quite spicy, which was unusual, faint sweet and fruity notes.

Moutfeel: a perfect balance of thickness and fizz, it goes down very well.

Taste: it delivers on the promises its smell makes, with a nice piquance in front and not excessively hoppy. It finishes a bit citrusy, and malty. Very interesting, and very smooth for its alcohol content (9%)

Drinkability: it goes down well without offending the senses, and while it is not to my usual taste, it is quite nice, with a pleasant buzz to boot.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

One of my top 3 brews. If you love tripels this is one of the finest examples. Treat yourself.

Pours a golden honey brew with a full beige creamy crown. Cloudy body, with nice carbonation. Very easy on the nose with some floral, banana, cloves and sweet malts notes, with a slight touch of alcohol. Very similar on the palate than on the nose, although the alcohol tends to come out as the brew warms up. Great drinkability and surprisingly refreshing for a 9%abv tripel.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Hazy orange color, tall and fizzy head that i enjoyed stuffing my nose into. Smells bright with scents of clove like I'd expect in a tripel.

Tastes great, remarkably well combined flavors of citrus, clove like spices. Goes down really smooth, no suggestions of a 9% abv. Carbonation is right where I'd like it to be, I'd drink this almost any time of year in almost any setting.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A--Pours a rich golden apricot color. Has a thick smooth head of about 1 1/2 inches, which retains well and leaves some lacing. Very appetizing from the start.

S--Heaven. The same apricot from the appearance, along with strong biscuit, yeast, and dough. I also detect some banana and clove.

T--Essence of sweet and ripe light fruits--pear, apricot, papaya--but it's not markedly sweet or cloing, by far. The biscuity, buttery yeast provides the perfect backdrop and rounds it out into a beautiful dry finish.

M--Smooth, rich, and creamy, it coats the palate and allows the complex tastes to linger for miles.

D--The alcohol is remarkedly well hidden, though the warmth is there. This could kick your butt if you're not careful.

Overall, this is one of the best belgians I've ever had. It is frickin beautiful. Stellar example of this style.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

12-ounce bottle, served in a tulip glass (11/07/2012)
Appearance: rich, deep golden color, a white head that thins out but sticks around for a while
Aroma: a lot of aroma comes off of this guy, it smells complex and strong; fruit and a hint of spice notes come through mostly, smells very sweet
Taste: it starts sweet as it moves through some of the fruits and the grains; it has a bit of a hop and spice at the end there too; the aftertaste is pretty dry, maybe from the high ABV
Mouthfeel: it's pretty syrupy and coats the mouth more than Don or Trios did; it is thick; carbonated well;
Overall Impression: honestly, I was hoping for something more, and admittedly my expectation may have colored my impression of the beer; I love Belgian Ales and this was supposed to be a great one...it's just good; it's certainly not as sweet as it smells and not as sweet as some other Belgians that I have had, especially since it ends on a dry, bitter note that I am not wild about; it is complex, it has a richness of flavor; the best part of the taste is the middle, where some of the characteristics of a classic Belgian come out-but I think that the best part of the beer is how it looks...it looks perfect and pretty

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I didn't have a best by date on this bottle so I not sure how old the ale was when I bought it. Smelled of fresh bread when opened and it had nice carbonation but little or no head. Excellent flavor of bread and yeast and a nice amount of carbonation on my palate. I would like to try it again to see if the offering varies.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I tried this from the bottle at our company Christmas party (I was in charge of the beer so it worked out nicely). I loved popping the cork and bumping a ceiling tile out of place when it jetted up from the bottle! Poured into the glass and got about 3/4 of an inch head. It looked like a nice wheat beer with bright straw yellow color. I got a hint of verbena in the nose. The flavor seemed to be a cross between a light sour belgian and a hefeweizen with lemon. Pretty darn refreshing for a relatively serious beer. Definitely would have it again and again.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a wine glass at my local bar. They don't have the proper glassware so it definitely deserved this over a pint glass! LOL Pours a very decent size head with smells of pepper, ripe apples, and pears. Carbonation is very high but works so well with this. Taste is outstanding with a crisp, spicy and fruity balance that is wonderful. Mouthfeel is near perfect and this beer will sneak up on you with it's 9% ABV. I had 3 after a few IPA's and they let me know it! A fantastic brew by the champs of Canada IMHO!

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a moderately carbonated hazy yellow color with a slight head. There is a nice spicy smell with a cloudy and alcoholic sweet aroma (banana maby). The best part... taste, wow more carbonated than visible and hints of lemon and spices with hops blending into a nice warming sensation of a finale. A great beer that is reminiscent slightly of champagne.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice golden color wiht thick head. Smell has fruit and yeast in it. The taste is really nice. Good balance and a subdued flavoring of citrus, sweetness and malt. The mouthfeel is quite light especially for the strength and it makes for a drinkable beer. I do wish it had slightly more character.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Medium body, lots of head retention, light gold in color.

Smells soapy, citrusy and sweet.

Attacks hard with lots of fruit. Finishes with a nice vegetal touch.

Very drinkable. One of my favorite go-to's when I'm not in the mood for anything in particular.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured out of a bottle with a "best before" date of 08-22-10, into a Riedel Vinum burgundy glass.

A = Nice light orange color. A little cloudiness. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rising (like in a champagne). One finger of white head. Goes down to thin, but solid, head that lasts throughout. Some lacing.

S = Very fruity, sweet smell. Some mango, some apple, a little bit of bananas. Some clove in there. Yeast and spiciness that become more pronounced as the beer warms up.

T = Like the smell (see above), but the fruitiness becomes a little less sweet, and little more tart (but not too tart at all). Nice hop bitterness and peppery spiciness in the finish. Hides the alcohol very well.

M = More carbonation than I was expecting. Not overwhelming, but it's definitely there. Becomes very (dangerously) smooth as the beer warms. Medium body.

D= Really enjoyed this one. Just great, balanced complexity. Lots of things going on, and they all fit very well. Doesn't feel too heavy, and the alcohol is well hidden (until you stand up), so there's definitely a danger of having too many of these.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue