La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#415

Ratings: 10,128 |  Reviews: 2,999

3.67/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Golden to straw colored and cloudy. Heavily carbonated. Tall cake like white head, that remains thick throughout the drink.

Smell: yeasty. Smells a little like lcove. Furity. Very tasty smelling.

Taste: Sweet alcohol flavor. Tastes of clove, apple and grpaes. Spicy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Alcoholic warming. Heavily carbonated.

Drinkability. Very tasty. It meets my expectations from this beer, but doesn't really exceed them very much...But that won't keep this beer from me.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

I am sitting here trying to figure out what this beer does not do for me. And all I can think is,.. . . that maybe it could have got to me more directly, and that I could have taken better care of it. With that said, it doesn't even care,. . it still shines, even though there was some dust on the one that I pulled from the deepest reaches of darkness on the display shelf at the super market. I get excited every time I get to have this beer.

Appearance- Liquid gold, with a light, frothy, 3 finger head. Dissipates slowly, but the white layer protecting the jewels never fades. I would five this beer less on appearance, but I feel the lack of lacing is because this glass has been used a couple times tonight already.

Smell- Matly, yeasty (banana, citrus and spice), earthy. It makes you want to smell it thoroughly every time before you have another sip...

Taste- Everything that your nose picks up, with a nice floral, fruit, malt backed bite. .. (do yourself a favor and try this beer at different temperatures,.. i liked it a bit colder,.. and now its coming up to about it goes from biscuit, to banana and,.. kind of complexity that I hate to try to describe, but balanced all at the same time,...

Feel- silky smooth with a slight carb bite that wakes up your taste buds.

Drinkability - I had to find something that wasn't perfect,.. I would drink this all night, but I can't afford it, and I would appear a lightweight after slamming 9%'s all night,.. but for 9%.. it's amazing.

Eh! Go Canada! Sidney Crosby! MAF!

A- A bright golden yellow color with a white, lacy head.

S- Aroma of Belgian & champagne yeasts, bread dough, peaches.

T- Flavors of creamy sweet malt & yeastiness, light sweet fruits. Straightforward but pleasing.

M, D- Buttery, velvety quality makes this beer very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Surprisingly mild for a 9% abv brew. Aroma is pleasant but not too strong. Color is quite pale and was a bit cloudy. Head was full with small bubbles that lasted through the finish. Both the mouth and finish a strong characteristic and typical for the style. It is quite polished and very much like a Chimay, and in this case a brew I slighly prefer to the Chimay.

2.75/5  rDev -36.3%

3.87/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

When I first had this beer about 9 months ago, I wasn't too impressed. It has been on my list of "must revisits" for a long time, because I guess my palate wasnt too developed back then.

A - glorious frothy 1 1/2 finger head. extremely hazy cloudy yellow, almost orange tinted body. decent amount of lacing on the glass.

S - clove, white pepper, yeast , touch of banana,

T - light but very present clove, yeast, maybe some pear fruitiness somewhere behind the strong carbonation, dry in the front, middle, and back, but not constantly just dry; the other flavors come through plenty.

M - very fizzy mouthfeel, carbonation dances on my tongue. refreshing, but the body is dense with a slightly chalky, yeasty heaviness. but the carb brings it up like champagne. very nice.

Overall - Unfortunately I don't prefer dry over un-dry, and this is probably why i didnt care for the beer the first time i tried it, but it is still very tasty, and the reputation is worthy.
I did enjoy this beer quite a bit.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue