La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde
La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Quebec, Canada

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,198 |  Reviews: 3,016
4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Let me just say first off that I'm going to review this as a Tripel, cause thats what it seems more like than a strong pale ale. It is also triple fermented, so why not?

Poured into a tulip goblet, beer poured a straw yellow with a nice fluffy head. Scents of fruit, belgian yeast and alcohol present. First sip, hints of apple, pear, and hops. Finish hides its 9% ABV well. This one had mellowed for about 6 months since I had bought it. Might try another for significantly longer. I should add that I am normally not a big fan of tripels, but this one pleased me greatly. A very smooth, drinkable beer despite its high ABV.

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

It's the end of the world as we know it... I just had to review the beer in my (current) avatar for my 100th review. Tripel isn't one of my favorite styles, but I absolutely love LFDM. I'll try to be objective here.

A: A painfully slow pour from a foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip yields 3+ fingers of frothy head that crests the lip, but does not overflow. After a minute or two, the head has receded to a ring leaving fat chunks of sticky lace on the glass. A hazy golden glow eminates from the glass, begging me to drink.

S: Notes of peach and apricot are most obvious up front. Lurking in the background is possibly a bit of honey and a mild spiciness.

T: Fruity flavors are most obvious up front, with notes of golden raisins and a bit of banana from the Belgian yeast. There's also some mild toast flavors. The finish shows just a hint of hop bite with a nutty aftertaste.

M: Rich and full bodied. The only knock is that a bit more effervescence would be appreciated. Maybe I should have been even MORE careful on the pour!

D: Like I said up front, this is one of my favorites! I could sip this one all night, but it is definitely a sipper.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Pours a light dusky gold with muted shades of tangerine. Two finger head is composed of tightly packed bright white bubbles. Very solid retention. Lacing was present but in the end just slides down the glass.

S: Nose was gently balanced with both earthy and thick grassy tones. Lightly spiced fruity yeasts. Citrus and cloves with honey and lemon peels blended up and soaked in pear mash. Hints of baked bread and cinnamon dipped bananas. There is a lot going on in the nose but still very well balanced.

T: Nice and complex array of fruits in the taste. Very difficult to pinpoint just one since it is so rich and vibrant. Subtle hints of pears, apples, and peaches. Again like the nose bananas and peppers make an appearance. Taste of vanilla with a ginger spiced bite and heavy malt roundness. Little bit of hops to finish things off. Interesting how it really goes from subtle to spicy to sweet before you even know what happened. At 9% this has no hints of alcohol.

M: Smooth, well carbonated, and creamy.

D: The name on this beer alone is great and somewhat fitting for the times. Helps put a smile on your face. Truly delicious. Picked this up in a four pack and it worked out to about $3.47 for a 750ml bottle. Easily one of the best deals in beer I have had to date.

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- hazy straw, 1 1/2" bubbly white head

S- citrus, spicy apple cider, banana, peach, pear, metal

T- banana, white wine, apple cider, citrus, grapes, pear, spices

M- medium body, crisp carbonation, alcohol warmth

O-this is my 3rd Unibroue, all 3the are my favorite belgian style beers. This one is a liquid fruit cocktail. So many different fruits attack the senses that i'm sure i missed some in my review. For a 9% abv brew the alcohol is extremely tame, enhancing the flavor and leaving a somewhat white wine like flavor. Spices and sparkling apple cider round out this amazing brew.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Golden to straw colored and cloudy. Heavily carbonated. Tall cake like white head, that remains thick throughout the drink.

Smell: yeasty. Smells a little like lcove. Furity. Very tasty smelling.

Taste: Sweet alcohol flavor. Tastes of clove, apple and grpaes. Spicy and sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Alcoholic warming. Heavily carbonated.

Drinkability. Very tasty. It meets my expectations from this beer, but doesn't really exceed them very much...But that won't keep this beer from me.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

I am sitting here trying to figure out what this beer does not do for me. And all I can think is,.. . . that maybe it could have got to me more directly, and that I could have taken better care of it. With that said, it doesn't even care,. . it still shines, even though there was some dust on the one that I pulled from the deepest reaches of darkness on the display shelf at the super market. I get excited every time I get to have this beer.

Appearance- Liquid gold, with a light, frothy, 3 finger head. Dissipates slowly, but the white layer protecting the jewels never fades. I would five this beer less on appearance, but I feel the lack of lacing is because this glass has been used a couple times tonight already.

Smell- Matly, yeasty (banana, citrus and spice), earthy. It makes you want to smell it thoroughly every time before you have another sip...

Taste- Everything that your nose picks up, with a nice floral, fruit, malt backed bite. .. (do yourself a favor and try this beer at different temperatures,.. i liked it a bit colder,.. and now its coming up to about it goes from biscuit, to banana and,.. kind of complexity that I hate to try to describe, but balanced all at the same time,...

Feel- silky smooth with a slight carb bite that wakes up your taste buds.

Drinkability - I had to find something that wasn't perfect,.. I would drink this all night, but I can't afford it, and I would appear a lightweight after slamming 9%'s all night,.. but for 9%.. it's amazing.

Eh! Go Canada! Sidney Crosby! MAF!

A- A bright golden yellow color with a white, lacy head.

S- Aroma of Belgian & champagne yeasts, bread dough, peaches.

T- Flavors of creamy sweet malt & yeastiness, light sweet fruits. Straightforward but pleasing.

M, D- Buttery, velvety quality makes this beer very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%