La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#424

Ratings: 10,104 |  Reviews: 2,992

3.74/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Take this review with a grain of salt. I've enjoyed many Belgium style beers, but after this one it's pretty clear that I do not like the Tripel style.

I don't really know what I was expecting, but La Fin Du Monde is dominated by the flavor of the yeast (eludes to this on the bottle). It is literally all I could taste with the exception of some citrus notes. It was like drinking a biscuit, and it sat really heavy in my stomach after. The bottle said it was brewed with spices, but those took such a backseat to the yeast that I could not pick up what spices they were.

All that being said I tried to review this beer with the style in mind, even if I don't dig it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

I bought this bottle over a month ago, and thought I'd save it for June 6, 2006. But if the world actually ends that day, who will be around to read this review?

It's a 750mL bottle with a picture of the Newfoundland penninsula on the label under a celestial spotlight of some sort. I'm supposed to enjoy it by 11-21-08.

With a startling cork pop (wasn't really expecting that), I pour some into my trusty Orval goblet. La Fin du Monde presents itself with a clear, very slightly amberish gold, with fine yeast particulates floating around, and an effervescent white head that goes away as quickly as if it were Coca-Cola. I should note at this point that I am tasting this ale at room temperature.

It's a pungent aroma. Spiciness, yeast, orange peel, and alcohol. There's a lot of things going on that I am not yet sophisticated enough to describe.

The taste is equally complex. Similar to the aroma it seems, but in a different order. There's coriander (I think... or cloves) spice, alcohol, a twinge of sweetness, and generic citrus features but no yeast bite, by which I am suprised considering the amount of yeast sediment sitting at the bottom of this bottle. Overall, it makes me want some gorgonzola.

It's sticky and very carbonated like champagne. The alcohol warmth stays only for a little bit, while an oily/creamy feeling lingers. I don't know which.

A little expensive to drink regularly but I'm enjoying this, and that's not the alcohol talking. It's not something you chug at a barbecue, but rather something to be sipped by the fireplace while reading Chaucer or something.

Maybe I should have chilled it at least a few minutes.

4.77/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a goblet. Pours an amber golden color similar to honey. Has an almost three finger head of fizzy champagne-like bubbles that fades to leave just a thin layer on top.

The aroma of sweet, fruity goodness dominates the nose. There is a little alcohol and just a hint of piney citrus as well. The taste is of citrus and a little banana.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, and despite its sweetness, it's not cloying at all. There is a very noticeable alcohol warmth to it, but in a good way. I would definitely have another.

3.23/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured a 341-ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - cloudy, creamy golden blonde ale with an off-white foamy head. Head lasts for a bit and then subsides to a 1/4-inch. Fairly active carbonation observed.

Smell - spicy floral hops with an herbal quality take center-stage remeniscent of some Belgian witbier I've tasted.

Taste - peppery, nearly medicinal clove taste over some refreshing bitters. Spiced taste definitely makes this a winter selection. Hardly any taste of alcohol in this but a warming feeling occurs after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - overall a pretty smooth beer. The wave of spices is a bit much for me but that's where it's at.

Drinkability - very easy going down for the alcohol content. You would never realize this is a 9% brew.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fun Du Monde has the strongest, most intense "Belgian" aroma of bubblegum, cloves and banana that I've ever encountered in a beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit too "digestible" for me (too much lights Belgian candy sugar to lighten the body?), but other than that it's a consistent, classic, perfect example of a Tripel. Taste is sweet and refreshing, not much bitterness or maltiness. Just a clean palate for showcasing the character of Belgian yeast.

3.92/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Pours a hazy golden/yellow with 2 fingers of white head that recede slowly, no lacing on the glass.

Aroma (while still cold) is yeast, honey, tart fruit and a hint of malt. As it warms a bit of breadiness and an almost "yogurt with fruit" type smell emerge.

Taste is smooth, hides 9% well, and has notes of grain, pineapple, peaches, yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness. The yeast gives a slight pepper flavor. This beer is very complex and some of the flavors are hard to place.

Mouthfeel is coating, moderate thickness and high carbonation.

Overall this beer has great complexity and satisfying flavors. It doesn't quite live up to my favorites (St. Bernardus and Karmeliet) but I would have it again.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue