La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,028 |  Reviews: 2,970

3.74/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-reviewed this beer because of the probability that I had an off day in my last review.
Poured a hazy burnt yellow with 2 finger white fizzy head that dissipated quickly to a thin film. Moderate lacing. Nose had a hint of white pepper, banana and orange zest. Very sweet taste without much pronounced malt. No noticeable hop flavor. Fizzy carbonation that I believe is just too much. The beer was somewhat heavy as I noticed in the last review. Like the last time I reviewed this beer, I know this is supposed to be a great beer, but I am having trouble with detecting complexity and likeability. I would prefer a good hefe to this beer. Perhaps I can now conclude that I am just not into tripels.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Overrated, but it is possible that I am just not accustomed to the style of beer. It kind of leaves this filmy, undesirable after taste that I could do without, but otherwise enjoyable. I liked it but probably won't buy it again.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a thick, creamy white head. Looks golden yellow, and is cloudy enough that you can't see through it. Smells and tastes of wheat and spices. you can hardly detect the alcohol. Thick, creamy mouthfeel, but somehow it's also very clean and refreshing.
*This beer got me into craft brews. Still love it!

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Deep, honey color - a brighter yellow near the bottom of the glass. The heads starts off huge and pillowy, but falls rather quickly.

The major scents here are banana, coriander and cloves with some fruity pears, apples and grapes coming in and out. The taste is much of the same, but with a little bit of pineapple lingering in the background.

This beer was highly carbonated, but medium bodied and very crisp. I got a slight warming sensation from drinking it and found myself highly refreshed.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer reminds me in so many ways of a hefeweizen, from the unfiltered appearance to the smells to the taste. It doesn't have all the taste, but the initial body of the beer definitely reminds me of a wheaty/yeasty unfiltered.

There's a lot of subtleness to this brew though. Part of me wants to say there's a very subtle sourness around it (not a bad kind though), probably from the yeast. A bit of spicyness...a light fruity sweetness.

European beers always ring differently to my tastebuds. They always seem to have excellent balance and can easily flit between a subtle but bold body (how this one feels to me) and a complex but balanced beer (like say, Matilda, a Belgian strong).

This isn't a bad beer at all, but I don't really see it being the most addictive beer I'll ever have per se. You do get your money's worth though, and if you like tripels, I can see you liking this beer. If nothing else, La Fin Du Monde has me curious about the tripels now...

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into (what else?) a La Fin Du Monde glass.

The beer is a beautiful, shining gold with abundant carbonation. The head is massive, rising above the lip of my glass. Fluffy, white and cloud-like, it recedes after a few minutes leaving a wonderful example of Belgian lace along the side of the glass. A great pour.

The aroma is fruity and yeasty with an obvious spiciness. The alcohol is also evident in the aroma. The beer has a wonderful aroma.

The taste is dominated by a tart fruit and peppery spice. The alcohol that was so evident in the aroma is here, not so strong at first but warming as the beer is swallowed. Not a particular sweet beer, the yeasty quality is also at the forefront and a slight hops bitterness lingers. The beer is very carbonated, which makes this beer an interesting drink.

I would say that the La Fin Du Monde is very drinkable, however at 9% ABV, I would have to be very careful with my speed of consumption.

I love this beer!

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours an orangey, straw yellow with a huge, soapy, white head, which quickly dissipates. I smell a delicious, dusty blend of apple, plum, honey, and a touch of citrus. The taste follows suit with these same flavors; a wonderful, full, complex flavor. This is not overwhelming at all like tripels can be, even in spite of the ABV. The mouthfeel is equally pleasant--light, bubbly, and carbonated--and the alcohol is nowhere to be found. I found La Fin Du Monde akin to Brooklyn Local 1, perhaps a touch better, and I think this will be my tripel of choice for a while.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue