Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#420

Ratings: 10,116 |  Reviews: 2,997

2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow - what a good beer! Nice pour with good head, hazy in glass. Great aroma and great taste - impressed by how bold and complex both smell and taste were, but also extremely well balanced between all the fruity, spicy, malt, yeast elements. Only a hint of alcholol in the finish, but not a negative. Not heavy at all.

Overall, seems to me this was a "power beer" that one would enjoy sip by sip, but then, feel like drinking one or two more because it tasted so good and was not overtly strong or cloying (but, even one at 9% demands respect)

Now on my favorites list and will certainly buy again.

3.04/5  rDev -29.6%

I was extremely excited to try this beer based on the raving reviews I've read. However, I was pretty disappointed.

A: Right off the bat I found this to be a rather unappealing beer to look at. I poured it from the bottle into a pint glass. It was a pale gold color with a very murky tint. The head was massive - about four fingers. Which is ok for a triple I suppose.

S: The aroma didn't impress me much either. I had a hard time distinguishing the scents I was picking up. It was a sour smell. Like old fruit.

T: It definitely tasted better than it looked and smelled, but it wasn't great. I picked up some fruity notes followed by some spicy undertones. A little hop bite at the end, but balanced with the malt. Definitely couldn't tell it was 9% abv. Alcohol is hidden well. It got better as it warmed, but still didnt wow me.

M: Full-bodied, high carbonation. Almost champagne-like.

O: Not a great beer in my opinion. Drinkable, but not great. For me, it was just ok. Probably won't buy it again.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%