La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#424

Ratings: 10,104 |  Reviews: 2,992

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

pours nice and cloudy amber, nice fluffy head.

Smells quite fruity and clovey.

Taste is initially fruity, but converts to spice quickly.

Very rich. Nice body. Alcohol is well hidden.

Extremely nice brew. My wife will even drink it, but she is sort of a Belgian Triple kind of person.

4.3/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy yellow-orange. Definitely some sediment action going. About a 1-inch head that dissipated quickly. Some carbonation evident at the bottom. A lot of people are turned off by the appearance. Doesn't bother me.

S - Fruity smells, pineapple comes to mind. Barley and just a faint hint of booze.

T - Oustanding. Smooth yet powerful. Just a bit of hop action evident, with a fair amount of quality malt. Also taste the aforementioned pineapple and a bit of melon. A sort of pear taste evident after beer warmed up a few degrees. The 9% ABV is hidden well, but still able to be noticed.

M - Solid, nothing outta this world. Crisp with acceptable amount of carbonation. Not dry or bitter.

O - One of the best rated beers in the world for a reason. Strong and bold yet slightly sweet, and incredibly drinkable. Won't exactly strain my hamstring running to the store for more, but I definitely see this becoming a regular beer for me.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

By some fluke, I came across a case (six four-packs) of LA FIN DU MONDE for $30 in Boone, NC. Being a huge fan of the UNIBROUE brewery, I couldn't pass up this opportunity for a beer I've never tasted from a brewery I love. I'm a bigger fan of the DON DE DIEU, but this beer did not fail to deliver.

A- Negligible, sad to say. It poured horribly from bottle to pub glass which lend credence to the reviews I've seen in the past about the carbonation. This is not a pleasant beer to look at straight out of the bottle. I'm still watching my second glass settle. The lace looks like a vanilla milkshake. Not a show-beer.

S- I can't stop sniffing this beer with every sip. Coriander and...is that tangerine? From front to back, this beer smells even better as it warms and the fruit has made its way to the front.

T- Now I understand why fellow reviewers can't believe this is a 9.0% brew. I could easily finish a 4-pack before my liver reminds me that was a bad idea. The damned thing sips (doesn't taste, mind you) like a Hefe. I keep going back expecting a bite and it never happens. This is the subtlety of the variety of spices that have gone into brewing this piece of work. I'm usually a heavy smoker, and even heavier when drinking, but I don't even want a cigarette during this beer for fear of ruining the light and almost spicy taste of this remarkable tripel.

M- Nothing negative to say. No chop, no wince, a thoroughly enjoyable drink from neck to coaster. The fruit lingers not on the tongue, but in the entire mouth. What a joy!

O- My largest complaint is the pour. I've spent enough time in front of and behind the bar, I still can't find a way to pour this beer correctly. I'm sure out of a tap it's easier, but even on my third glass, refrigerated at a moderate 42 degrees, a 3-inch head settled into an inch and didn't disappear. Aesthetics aside, a top-notch beer for a great price. UNIBROUE never fails to deliver!

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%