La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,943 | Ratings: 9,932
4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

It's the best Tripel I've ever had.. Actually, I m not really into Tripel, but this is da bomb!! everything was perfect. good enough foam, carbonation, and mouthfeel was crisp, light, fruity, refreshing.
My hobby is to taste new beers as much as I can but I would get this one again whenever I have a party with my friends

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a straw - cloudy golden color with a nice three finger head. Aroma is spot on - tons of spice, dark orange, sweet yeasty malt goodness. Taste is incredible for the style. Coriander, cinnamon, plum/apple, candy sugar, and that patented Unibroue yeast with a touch of warm alcohol. IMO this is a strong contender with St. Bernardus Tripel. Everything comes together for this perfect Belgium triple. It's best consumed at 50 degrees - so let it warm a bit if it's been in the fridge with your other stash of beers. If you dig Belgiums - your life is not complete if you don't try this offering from Unibroue.

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%

Simply one of the best Tripels made in North America... Or anywhere. The other reviews here are plentiful so I won't pontificate. I just had to chime in!

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazy deep gold, variably producing 3-4+ fingers of a moderately lasting, billowy, white, head that leaves only a scattering of lacey strings & motes. Aroma is Unibroue Belgian yeast notes of spice, fruity esters of apple, pear, apricot, banana & clove with notes of candied fruit, honey, coriander & alcohol. Taste is similar to the nose but sweet with more aggressive fruity esters. Spicy pepper, coriander & clove throughout the sip. Buttery, peppery & fruity with alcohol warmth & spice in the finish & aftertaste. As is typical the alcohol intensifies as the brew warms. Very nice but slightly variable from one purchase to another.

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Humongous white head.

Aroma: Sugars, citrus, clove, spice.

Taste: Citrus rind, banana, apple, candied sugar, booze. Apricot, pear, too.

Mouthfeel: Pretty boozy but not unapproachable.

Overall: Good representation of the style. Doesn't blow my mind like I expected, but a good example of what a tripel should be.

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Looks like pineapple juice, with a nice haze and a golden glow. 4 fingers of head, soapy lace left behind.

Aroma of citrus, yeast, and clove. Mild hay and Belgian spices. Mandarin orange.

Holy cloy. Some sickly sweet flavors of banana extract, apple, citrus...it all tastes like extract though. Hot flavors of alcohol and hay, and more extract. Did I get a bad bottle?

Feel is hot and carbonated, with a good dose of creaminess. Hot and dry finish.

Overall...I don't get it. This was way too sweet, artificial, and gross for me.

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

With the way the US election results were going, I decided to head to the liquor store. La Fin Du Monde sounded like an appropriate beer to drink on this occasion.

A: Gold and fairly clear. Massive head.
S: Sweet and yeasty. Banana.
T: Kind of a lot going on. Boozy finish.
F: Smooth. Very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: mostly clear yellow with a big foamy head that fades quickly
S: Belgium yeast pops, some sugary sweetness. It reminds me of dehydrated bananas
T: mush like the nose, but the my complaint is the favors leave as fast as they arrived.
F: the 9% abv is hidden well, but this is thin
O: this is a transition beer. Transitioning from american light lagers to craft. I used to like this beer a lot, now, not so much.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz Longneck into a tulip glass. a slightly hazy, golden ale, topped by a thick, pillow-y two finger head that falls quite slowly to a lovely film. Lacing is excellent

Nosing brings aromas of biscuit-y malt, fruits (banana, citrus rind) along with the coriander and white pepper tones you'd expect from a Tripel.

This one is very complex on the palate- notes of cracker-like malt come right at you, along with honey, sour apple, caramel, and ripe banana lingering all the way through on the tongue. Spice (clove and pepper especially) comes in a bit after, carrying through to a lingering, tartly dry finish with some woodiness and herbal hop notes (perhaps a bit more hops than I'd expect of a Belgian Tripel.)

Mouth-feel is medium, smooth, creamy, very drinkable. Carbonation is brisk and tingly. Alcohol, even a hefty 9%, is nigh undetectable.

I can't say this is the BEST Tripel out there (after all, I haven't tried them all) but I feel confident in saying it's up on the list- way up- and is definitely the best one I've tried that isn't from the style's homeland. In fact, it's better than most of those... a smooth, drinkable body, excellent nose, and wonderfully complex flavors show the high level of craft that has gone into this, as good as any Abbey brewers could hope for. A masterwork.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

341ml bottle served in a tulip glass at cellar temperature.

Pours a slightly hazy light golden colour. Effervescent four-inch head with lots of lacing.

Aroma is dominated by spicy and slightly green stone-fruit yeast esters. Beautiful.

Spicy yeast is the first thing to hit me and lingers throughout each sip. The flavour has lots of fruit. I'm picking up pear and stone fruit (peach and dried apricot). There's an earthy and deeply satisfying over-ripe quality to everything. Nor is there any of the cloying candi sugar sweetness or alcoholic burn you sometimes pick up from tripels in this particular bottle, which has been very well-aged, but I do recall that in fresh bottles of La Fin du Monde in the past.

Prickly carbonation and light mouthfeel. Almost no sensation of alcohol.

What can you say? La Fin du Monde is a world-class tripel, superior to all but a small handful of the well-known Belgian abbeys. I don't drink it very often because the well-hidden booze tends to sneak up on me, but it's always a treat. Highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, peachy gold. The three fingers of head are violent like baking soda, and dissipate after minute or so to leave spots of lacing throughout the glass.

The nose is upfront and unapologetic with the typical tripel aromas of sweet, spicy Belgian yeast - that's orange zest, clove, coriander, honey crackers and white pepper. Though there isn't much in the way of citrus, further complexity is added to the mix by a background of buttery caramel sauce, peach, and hits of sour pear. These more interesting notes are subdued on the tongue, the beer does managing to carry much of the nose's promised yeast complexity without any one flavour jumping out to mask the others.

La Fin Du Monde is very sweet, very cohesive and oh so drinkable. This is helped along by the mouthfeel, which is perfectly balanced between medium body and pillowy carbonation - that wobbly-legged 9% being hidden behind a warm, gingery finish.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful, opaque, mysterious gold. 2-3 inch off-white head with fine bubbles. Solid head retention.

Aroma is quite complex. Start relatively modest (emphasis on "relatively," using this same beer as a point of reference) then explodes. We've got grainy malt, a slight spice that evolves into white pepper, earthy and herbal hop tones, light pome fruit esters (pear is what I get the most on the nose), perhaps a touch of pineapple, and a very small trace of loose-leaf paper. Very interesting, you get something new with each whiff.

First sip... blast-off! Malt is grainy, bagel-like, and a touch toasty. Medium-high in intensity. Earthy, woodsy hops may be there- but some other flavors are winning the battle for prominence. There is the tasty malt, which dances with spiciness and fruit. Pome fruit esters follow the nose- notably a kind of apple tartness, and mellow pear. Each sip is followed by a wonderful aftertaste of spicy white pepper. Quite a mix.

Perfect mouthfeel. Medium body with good carbonation. Zippy throughout. Warming throughout. All of this enhances the glorious, piquant aftertaste. To reiterate- this beer feels perfect in your mouth. Best I've yet had.

I feel this is a beer I will love more and more each time I return to it. An experience!

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Had this at a bar called Grazers in Williston Vermont. Not a great variety of brews, but some unique, like this one. Wanted something thirst quenching, and Ryan, the able barkeep suggested this. I was cautious, not usually like strong brews, but this didn't taste it. Went down very smoothly. Smell was deceiving; expected more of a hops flavor but there was none. Nice aftertaste; almost citrusy. VERY drinkable. Would try to find but Ryan explained I may have trouble. Excellent beer, if you can find it.

4.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: golden straw and apricot colors. What the heck, it's the same as all of the other reviews.

Smell: REALLY good. Great, even. I have pretty poor taste buds, therefore my sense of smell isn't as good as most reviewers apparently, but I know what I like. This is damn good. I'd have 3 in a row if I could afford them. Not worth a utility payment.

Taste: I sure wish I could taste those esters of banana and alcohol lingering at the back of the palate, the pepper and the spice and the citrus. Well I CAN taste the citrus, it's kind of a cross between grapefruit and lime... subtle.

Nothing about mangoes however. It's not like we went to a Whole Foods Market or a fresh fruit stand in Africa. We are drinking beer for God's sake. It tastes like beer and smells like beer but it's one of the best I've ever tasted. There's kind of a funky "curl" feel/taste at the back of each sip that kind of reminds me of wee Scotch ale. It's awesome. I don't know what that is. Maybe someone can elucidate. My coarse taste buds don't give me a visual, so to speak.

Sorry I can't add detail to that. My taste buds are screwed. Sorely lacking. And I'm going to say a version of that statement in pretty much every review I do. I feel inferior in some intrinsic physical way to those who can taste nuances.

Feel: Medium-thick, but of course it's a liquid so it's not that thick. It's not like a smoothie or something. Anyway I think people who drink beer will know what I mean. People who only drink smoothies won't. Sorry dudes, you need to drink some beer to check it out.

Overall: this is an incredibly drinkable beer, complex flavors that I cannot begin to describe even though I'm a word guy. Therefore that tells me my taste buds are screwed and I can't taste things as intensely as many reviewing here. But it's complex and dry but sweetish--but not overpowering sweet-- and citrusy and high alcohol which I totally appreciate! Loooove a buzz! Compared to a Bell's Oberon (not this style, I know), which has way too much bitterness-to-sweetness ratio, it strikes the right balance.

Awesome brew! There might be some things that could be done to make it a five out of five but I could not begin to describe what those are. I can sense them just out of the range of my perception however. Sorry Alstrom Brothers, I can't match your 5 out of 5.

Mildly yeasty with a complex palate of malt, fruit and spice notes followed by a smooth, dry finish.

Floral and honey smell.

Medium body with white creamy head.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, wheaty, deep orange/copper hue. Pillowy head standing an inch tall, retention leaves a solid layer of foam and just a lick of lace. Aroma is soft, very floral, fruity and herbal. I'd imagine this is what the first day of spring should smell like in a bottle. Almost too good for words.

Taste has a fantastic malty, baked bread, yeasty, straw flavour that lays the foundation for the fruity goodness. Apple, pear, nectarine, white grape, banana. Clove, nutmeg, coriander and a hint of ginger give this one a harvest-like feel. Would make for a fantastic holiday brew. Very floral and earthy in the finish. Smooth, creamy and clean. ABV undetectable. What a brew.

4.81/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Truly one of the world's best beers! I feel nearly unqualified to describe it. The near-perfect flavor and aroma complexity is unmatched.

If you've never tried it...Drink it now!

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Top shelf, lots of effervescence on the tongue. Impressively light taste considering the 9.0 ABV. A very good belgian if you like that style and but not overly spiced with corriander. Would not offend the typical beer drinker but may not be as robust as some really into belgians might prefer

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

corked bottle opens with a bang, lovely soft aroma equaling the soft taste that resembles smooth flowers, not like tripples that are a harsh and or biting. An excellent drinking experiance.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving: 750 mL bottle ("BB 01-08-19") poured into a Spiegelau 0.4 L beer tulip.

Appearance: Hazy, bright gold with a lush, frothy head of white foam; streaky lace.

Smell: Tree fruit, cloves, white pepper and alcoholic esters.

Taste: Warm, smooth, malty body with layers of spicy yeast, cloves, pepper, citrus and lightly balancing hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with fine, champagne carbonation.

Overall: Complex and intense while so well balanced and drinkable. First enjoyed almost 20 years ago - still excellent.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle had a best by date of 11/27/18. Poured into a tulip. It poured a hazy golden color with a multi sized bubble two finger head which very slowly dissipated leaving some very nice lacing. In the nose I detected some light nectarine aroma and possibly a bit of lilac. On the palate the carbonation was lively and crisp. In spit of the higher ABV it did not taste boozy to me. There was even a subtle sweetness on the back end. This is definitely one that will find itself in my regular rotation.

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy, golden wheat. Thick, white creamy head which holds well.

Nose is sweet - caramel, spice, yeast.

Mouthfeel is smooth but with a pleasant bite and a tingle in the back of the mouth. Almost no alcohol taste. Sweet, buttery, spices and caramel; incredibly complex but wildly enjoyable.

Absolute must have - will keep you coming back for more.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L - Hazy gold big white head

S - a bit mute but light clove and estery stone fruits

T - Very subtle esters, clove and pepper, a bit of ginger

F - Nice carbonation

O - Miles away from Westmalle's. It's a good beer but not my favorite tripel. It reminds me of augustijn but with a more subtle notes and more balanced

4.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank out of a plastic cup in Parc LaFontaine, Montreal:

Appearance: hazy, effervescent orange color, with a massively puffy white head. Carbonation clearly visible, with the head rising, not dissipating for a few minutes after pouring.

Aroma: light spice of coriander and some sugary ester, with the yeast being the most prominent aroma here. Little bit of pear and banana perhaps. Either way, a very lovely scent and a light-smelling sweetness all around.

Taste: for a tripel, very light, with subtle fruit flavors all around. Not dark plum and Cherry flavors like you'd get of some traditional tripels, but banana, yeast, and honey. Sweet and malty.

Feel: full-bodied, but also moderate to high carbonation. Drinks incredibly smoothly for a 9% brew.

Overall: a lovely, delicious tripel with tons of complexity.

An ale that truly stops you in your tracks. Complex, without being moody about it. Absolutely crammed with flavours and spices, yet you could go through a pack of them with no trouble. And a nice alcohol content. I hope its not la fin du monde because I want to be buying this beauty for decades to come.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue