La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,963 | Ratings: 10,003
4.02/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Light appearance with. Pleasant aroma. Nice balance flavor with no alcohol taste. For a recreation of an old beer I think they did a great job. Probably better than the original beer that they are recreating.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If you are looking for a yeast forward, boozy Belgian style ale then you came to the right place. Pours with an aggressive, lively head which sticks around. This is bold across all areas. Full bodied, with a bready spice feel to it. Bitter and almost herbal aftertaste. Complex yet very drinkable. Goes well with food or on its own. Lots to like here.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Exceptional tasting experience. Was a recommended pairing by the bartender on tap at Hogwash in SF. Being from Washington State it reminded me very much of our exceptional ciders, with somewhat high carbonation and light feel.

Some friends of my wife and myself were over just a few nights ago and decided to pick this bottle up from a local bottle shop since the NFL games were not going our way. We figured spending our time catching up and talking was more worthwhile than watching two NFL games that were not incredibly fun to watch.

This tripel (spelled on the bottle as Triple) pours a cloudy yellow hue with very high carbonation readily visible, along with a frothy white head that dissipates slowly to a thin lacing that is retained. 4/5 The aroma is quite yeasty with the yeast esters really coming out strongly. White stone fruit, typical Belgian spices, banana, clove, and coriander really come out nicely along with an undertone of earthy hops. 4/5 The flavor is very typical of Belgian style beers in that it is spicy with banana, clove, and white pepper making their appearances. Along with these, notes of light caramel, yeast, white bread, and earthy hops all come out in a layered style. The booziness comes out quite strong initially but then diminishes over time. Bitterness is light and does not linger after swallowing. Although, the yeasty esters really stay around for quite some time. 4/5 A light carbonation burn (although not as much as expected) hits the tongue straight away, with the beer proceeding to then showcase its medium body and wet/coating nature. There is very little dryness and this dryness does not linger. 4/5 This is a very well layered beer that is surprisingly strong in terms of banana and clove for a tripel. The booziness is quite high, as expected, but it is not muted or hidden like many tripels attempt. Very good tripel here and would gladly come back to this one. 4/5

I used to take trips into Montreal to be able to stop on the way back and grab as much of any Unibroue products as I could legally bring back. Seriously, this is everything I look for in a beer. For being a Tripel, this could very much be a table beer, no matter the ABV, because of it's smooth drinkability, smoothness on the palette and just overall beer goodness. If this is the End of the World, then sign me the hell up because this is where I want base camp.

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A 750ml corked and caged bottle with a best before date of 24th July 2017. Poured into a Chimay goblet glass.

Appearance: A hazy golden orange colour with a one finger white head that settled to a nice creamy layer and left nice curtain lacing.

Aroma: Juicy orange and mango, biscuity malt with touches of honey and banana.

Taste: Biscuity, banana, honey and orange with a hint of peach. Clove and light peppery spice on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium bodied with moderate to low carbonation.

Overall: The citrusy orange was just coming on a bit too strong at times for me. Other than that, it was nice.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a fat bottom snifter.
A- Cloudy tangerine-gold with a nice white, frothy head and good carbonation.
S- Sweetness of ripe oranges and mangos, wheat. grassy herbs, vodka warmness
T- More orange/mango sweetness with a hint of spice and strong alcohol warmness in the finish. Also bell peppers.
M- Very light and smooth considering the high ABV (Unibroue is really good at that), I could drink this all day.
O- I quite like this beer although i due find it to be bit too sweet, It would due well with a stronger spice taste on the finish

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours a lovely hazy gold with a big solid white head that lasts, but with little lacing. Cider-like aromas meld perfectly with doughy yeast, honey, rosemary, and a faint maltiness. Remarkably balanced flavors that largely follow the nose. Moderate carbonation. Overall I would say this is my favorite beer, especially during the colder months.

This amazing, aromatic ale is like heaven in my mouth. Everything about this beer from the awesome packaging to the brilliant finish is just out of this world. This is the beer that I was looking for my whole life and didn't know existed until just a few years ago. There's a reason that so many people think this beer is incredible; because it really is. Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

It's the best Tripel I've ever had.. Actually, I m not really into Tripel, but this is da bomb!! everything was perfect. good enough foam, carbonation, and mouthfeel was crisp, light, fruity, refreshing.
My hobby is to taste new beers as much as I can but I would get this one again whenever I have a party with my friends

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a straw - cloudy golden color with a nice three finger head. Aroma is spot on - tons of spice, dark orange, sweet yeasty malt goodness. Taste is incredible for the style. Coriander, cinnamon, plum/apple, candy sugar, and that patented Unibroue yeast with a touch of warm alcohol. IMO this is a strong contender with St. Bernardus Tripel. Everything comes together for this perfect Belgium triple. It's best consumed at 50 degrees - so let it warm a bit if it's been in the fridge with your other stash of beers. If you dig Belgiums - your life is not complete if you don't try this offering from Unibroue.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Simply one of the best Tripels made in North America... Or anywhere. The other reviews here are plentiful so I won't pontificate. I just had to chime in!

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a hazy deep gold, variably producing 3-4+ fingers of a moderately lasting, billowy, white, head that leaves only a scattering of lacey strings & motes. Aroma is Unibroue Belgian yeast notes of spice, fruity esters of apple, pear, apricot, banana & clove with notes of candied fruit, honey, coriander & alcohol. Taste is similar to the nose but sweet with more aggressive fruity esters. Spicy pepper, coriander & clove throughout the sip. Buttery, peppery & fruity with alcohol warmth & spice in the finish & aftertaste. As is typical the alcohol intensifies as the brew warms. Very nice but slightly variable from one purchase to another.

3.79/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Humongous white head.

Aroma: Sugars, citrus, clove, spice.

Taste: Citrus rind, banana, apple, candied sugar, booze. Apricot, pear, too.

Mouthfeel: Pretty boozy but not unapproachable.

Overall: Good representation of the style. Doesn't blow my mind like I expected, but a good example of what a tripel should be.

3.21/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Looks like pineapple juice, with a nice haze and a golden glow. 4 fingers of head, soapy lace left behind.

Aroma of citrus, yeast, and clove. Mild hay and Belgian spices. Mandarin orange.

Holy cloy. Some sickly sweet flavors of banana extract, apple, citrus...it all tastes like extract though. Hot flavors of alcohol and hay, and more extract. Did I get a bad bottle?

Feel is hot and carbonated, with a good dose of creaminess. Hot and dry finish.

Overall...I don't get it. This was way too sweet, artificial, and gross for me.

4.14/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

With the way the US election results were going, I decided to head to the liquor store. La Fin Du Monde sounded like an appropriate beer to drink on this occasion.

A: Gold and fairly clear. Massive head.
S: Sweet and yeasty. Banana.
T: Kind of a lot going on. Boozy finish.
F: Smooth. Very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: mostly clear yellow with a big foamy head that fades quickly
S: Belgium yeast pops, some sugary sweetness. It reminds me of dehydrated bananas
T: mush like the nose, but the my complaint is the favors leave as fast as they arrived.
F: the 9% abv is hidden well, but this is thin
O: this is a transition beer. Transitioning from american light lagers to craft. I used to like this beer a lot, now, not so much.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz Longneck into a tulip glass. a slightly hazy, golden ale, topped by a thick, pillow-y two finger head that falls quite slowly to a lovely film. Lacing is excellent

Nosing brings aromas of biscuit-y malt, fruits (banana, citrus rind) along with the coriander and white pepper tones you'd expect from a Tripel.

This one is very complex on the palate- notes of cracker-like malt come right at you, along with honey, sour apple, caramel, and ripe banana lingering all the way through on the tongue. Spice (clove and pepper especially) comes in a bit after, carrying through to a lingering, tartly dry finish with some woodiness and herbal hop notes (perhaps a bit more hops than I'd expect of a Belgian Tripel.)

Mouth-feel is medium, smooth, creamy, very drinkable. Carbonation is brisk and tingly. Alcohol, even a hefty 9%, is nigh undetectable.

I can't say this is the BEST Tripel out there (after all, I haven't tried them all) but I feel confident in saying it's up on the list- way up- and is definitely the best one I've tried that isn't from the style's homeland. In fact, it's better than most of those... a smooth, drinkable body, excellent nose, and wonderfully complex flavors show the high level of craft that has gone into this, as good as any Abbey brewers could hope for. A masterwork.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

341ml bottle served in a tulip glass at cellar temperature.

Pours a slightly hazy light golden colour. Effervescent four-inch head with lots of lacing.

Aroma is dominated by spicy and slightly green stone-fruit yeast esters. Beautiful.

Spicy yeast is the first thing to hit me and lingers throughout each sip. The flavour has lots of fruit. I'm picking up pear and stone fruit (peach and dried apricot). There's an earthy and deeply satisfying over-ripe quality to everything. Nor is there any of the cloying candi sugar sweetness or alcoholic burn you sometimes pick up from tripels in this particular bottle, which has been very well-aged, but I do recall that in fresh bottles of La Fin du Monde in the past.

Prickly carbonation and light mouthfeel. Almost no sensation of alcohol.

What can you say? La Fin du Monde is a world-class tripel, superior to all but a small handful of the well-known Belgian abbeys. I don't drink it very often because the well-hidden booze tends to sneak up on me, but it's always a treat. Highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, peachy gold. The three fingers of head are violent like baking soda, and dissipate after minute or so to leave spots of lacing throughout the glass.

The nose is upfront and unapologetic with the typical tripel aromas Belgian yeast - that's orange zest, clove, coriander, honey crackers, and white pepper, with additional hits of buttery caramel sauce, peach, and some sour pear. Though some of these more interesting notes are subdued on the tongue, the beer does manage to carry much of the nose's promised yeast complexity without any one flavour jumping out to mask the others.

La Fin Du Monde is very sweet, very cohesive and oh so drinkable. This is helped along by the mouthfeel, which is perfectly balanced between medium body and pillowy carbonation - that wobbly-legged 9% being hidden behind a warm, gingery finish.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A beautiful, opaque, mysterious gold. 2-3 inch off-white head with fine bubbles. Solid head retention.

Aroma is quite complex. Start relatively modest (emphasis on "relatively," using this same beer as a point of reference) then explodes. We've got grainy malt, a slight spice that evolves into white pepper, earthy and herbal hop tones, light pome fruit esters (pear is what I get the most on the nose), perhaps a touch of pineapple, and a very small trace of loose-leaf paper. Very interesting, you get something new with each whiff.

First sip... blast-off! Malt is grainy, bagel-like, and a touch toasty. Medium-high in intensity. Earthy, woodsy hops may be there- but some other flavors are winning the battle for prominence. There is the tasty malt, which dances with spiciness and fruit. Pome fruit esters follow the nose- notably a kind of apple tartness, and mellow pear. Each sip is followed by a wonderful aftertaste of spicy white pepper. Quite a mix.

Perfect mouthfeel. Medium body with good carbonation. Zippy throughout. Warming throughout. All of this enhances the glorious, piquant aftertaste. To reiterate- this beer feels perfect in your mouth. Best I've yet had.

I feel this is a beer I will love more and more each time I return to it. An experience!

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Had this at a bar called Grazers in Williston Vermont. Not a great variety of brews, but some unique, like this one. Wanted something thirst quenching, and Ryan, the able barkeep suggested this. I was cautious, not usually like strong brews, but this didn't taste it. Went down very smoothly. Smell was deceiving; expected more of a hops flavor but there was none. Nice aftertaste; almost citrusy. VERY drinkable. Would try to find but Ryan explained I may have trouble. Excellent beer, if you can find it.

4.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: golden straw and apricot colors. What the heck, it's the same as all of the other reviews.

Smell: REALLY good. Great, even. I have pretty poor taste buds, therefore my sense of smell isn't as good as most reviewers apparently, but I know what I like. This is damn good. I'd have 3 in a row if I could afford them. Not worth a utility payment.

Taste: I sure wish I could taste those esters of banana and alcohol lingering at the back of the palate, the pepper and the spice and the citrus. Well I CAN taste the citrus, it's kind of a cross between grapefruit and lime... subtle.

Nothing about mangoes however. It's not like we went to a Whole Foods Market or a fresh fruit stand in Africa. We are drinking beer for God's sake. It tastes like beer and smells like beer but it's one of the best I've ever tasted. There's kind of a funky "curl" feel/taste at the back of each sip that kind of reminds me of wee Scotch ale. It's awesome. I don't know what that is. Maybe someone can elucidate. My coarse taste buds don't give me a visual, so to speak.

Sorry I can't add detail to that. My taste buds are screwed. Sorely lacking. And I'm going to say a version of that statement in pretty much every review I do. I feel inferior in some intrinsic physical way to those who can taste nuances.

Feel: Medium-thick, but of course it's a liquid so it's not that thick. It's not like a smoothie or something. Anyway I think people who drink beer will know what I mean. People who only drink smoothies won't. Sorry dudes, you need to drink some beer to check it out.

Overall: this is an incredibly drinkable beer, complex flavors that I cannot begin to describe even though I'm a word guy. Therefore that tells me my taste buds are screwed and I can't taste things as intensely as many reviewing here. But it's complex and dry but sweetish--but not overpowering sweet-- and citrusy and high alcohol which I totally appreciate! Loooove a buzz! Compared to a Bell's Oberon (not this style, I know), which has way too much bitterness-to-sweetness ratio, it strikes the right balance.

Awesome brew! There might be some things that could be done to make it a five out of five but I could not begin to describe what those are. I can sense them just out of the range of my perception however. Sorry Alstrom Brothers, I can't match your 5 out of 5.

Mildly yeasty with a complex palate of malt, fruit and spice notes followed by a smooth, dry finish.

Floral and honey smell.

Medium body with white creamy head.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, wheaty, deep orange/copper hue. Pillowy head standing an inch tall, retention leaves a solid layer of foam and just a lick of lace. Aroma is soft, very floral, fruity and herbal. I'd imagine this is what the first day of spring should smell like in a bottle. Almost too good for words.

Taste has a fantastic malty, baked bread, yeasty, straw flavour that lays the foundation for the fruity goodness. Apple, pear, nectarine, white grape, banana. Clove, nutmeg, coriander and a hint of ginger give this one a harvest-like feel. Would make for a fantastic holiday brew. Very floral and earthy in the finish. Smooth, creamy and clean. ABV undetectable. What a brew.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue