La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,959 | Ratings: 9,987
4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Served from 750 mL bottle at room temp in wine goblet. Vintage 2005. Easy pour produced 1.5 inch white head over clear gold that slowly recedes to leave lacing that remains until the glass is empty Active carbonation that lasts and lasts.
Smell is fruity, spicy, citrusy, slight alcohol on the nose. Yummy. Tastes of malt, sweetness, yeasty, banana like wheat beer. Some spiciness and fruit present. Very complex. Slight bitterness. Alcohol is not very noticeable except warming in the throat and belly. Mouthfeel is light due to active carbonation.
Is there alcohol in this? Way too drinkable for this ABV. You don’t notice the
strength until it jumps up and bite you. This is great example of a Belgian-style
ale from here in North America. I will definitely be seeking this out again.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Westmalle chalice.

A: Golden orange, somewhat hazy but glows translucently against a light. White head with large bubbles, which quickly dissipates to a thin film with a tighter ring around the chalice.

S: Citrusy (not grapefruit like an American Pale Ale but more lemony), with a note of honey and spices.

T: Begins with a sweet malt, then moves into a tart but balanced flavor with a slight hop bitterness and a noticeable prickliness from the high carbonation. Fades into a dry finish. Throughout, the phenolic character of the yeast strain is evident, but well-integrated.

M: Light, but somewhat viscous, like a well-carbonated honey might be.

D: Unbelievably quaffable. It has no hint of its quite high ABV.

Overall: In my view, the best abbey triple available in Ohio. Beers from Unibroue are usually found here in very good condition, unlike some of the true Belgians which sometimes sit on store shelves for months or longer with wide variations in storage temperature. This is simply an outstanding beer and the epitome of the style.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

a - bright amber color, large fluffy white head that lingers, a little lacing; cloudy with lots of sediment suspended throughout

s - very fruity and sweet, lots of banana, faint hops

t - sweet and fruity, like the aroma, the sweetness fades at the end and a slight hoppy bitterness lingers, only faint traces of the alcohol

m - lots of carbonation, very lively in the mouth, slightly oily after swallowing

d - very drinkable; this beer is one of the best I've had at masking a decent amount of alcohol (9% abv); this, coupled with the great complex taste and the wonderful aroma make this beer a bit "dangerous" if you don't pay attention

Wow, I'm truly impressed by this beer. Before this, I, like many others, sadly thought Labat and Molson was about it when it came to Canadian beer. I'm anxious to try some other Unibroue offerings. Great all-around beer that becomes and instant classic for me.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Light yellow color with a big, billowy white head. Lots of small carbonation bubbles form a tornado effect in the glass. Lacing is sudsy and head retention is one of the best I've seen.

Smell: A sweet, flowery yeast aroma is very apparent. Some lemon notes and pepper are also present.

Taste: Sweet but with a flowery spice and some alcohol kick. A fruity quality about it, but balanced with a pepper taste.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly.

Drinkability: Oh so good and it makes me feel good.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - Deep yellow/orange. Thick white head with some lacing.

Smell - Citrus, with hops present.

Taste - Nice and crisp. Heavy citrus at first, which turns into a nice wild untamed spice flavor, malty banana/backbone, with hop/alcohol bitter aftertaste. Goes down smooth for the ABV.

Mouthfeel - Pleasing and full.

Drinkability - Decent, as ABV is pretty well disguised.

Overall, a strong contender in the Belgian Strong Pale Ale category. I enjoy Duvel more, but this is definitely worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

--came in an average brown bottle with a white foil wrap over the top.
--A copper/dirt straw like in color with a great cloudiness. Nice thick, full head that lasted quite a while. After thinning left great traces of lacing.
--A slightly sweet smell almost fruitly but not quite.

Given the strength of this beer I was quite surprised by the taste and drinkability of it. Although it is strong this aint your brown bag beer...this one is great for sipping anytime. Would drink again. Thx.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

App: Orange. Thick white head with some lacing.

S: Corainder with some citrus and hops.

T: Nice and crisp. Heavy citrus and coriander spice with some apple cider. Semi-dry finish. Some slight hop bitterness on finish.

M: Slick and semi-light. Nicely carbonated.

D: Very good

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Ok so officially the best beer I have tasted...

Appearance- very cloudy dark yellow, with some orange and brown, lots of head
Smell- Oh the smell, very complex, orange and oat were the two than came to mind first , then a hint of bitter citrus (maybe lime)
Taste- like i said, the best beer I have tasted thus far. Taste is somewhat strong, but little to no alcohol taste- very strange for 9% ABV
Mouthfeel- pretty light, but not watery, slightly oily
Drinkability- the High ABV catches up to you quickly, best in moderation

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Man, this stuff is good. What can I say? My roommate, who doesn't like beer, had a sip of this, and said it might have changed his whole opinion of drinking beer more often. This is after my forcing him to sample many types of premium mircros from Saisons to Irish Stouts. I don't know what is a better compliment than that.

Apperence - Golden yellow

Smell - nice grainy smell. I'm not as good as a lot of you at describing smell. It just smelled grainy and fresh.

Taste - Reminded me a lot of most Belgian whites at first. Spicy, complex, but light at the same time. In fact if you had not told me it was brewed in Quebec, I would have swore it was Belgian. It really is amazing how well Unibroue does at making Belgian style beers. It reminded me a lot of Hoegaarden with the contrast and color turned up so to speak. It is just deeper, more full, and more round.

Mouthfeel - a smidge on the bubbly side. Nothing particularly bad here, but the carbonation can overwhelm if drank too quickly.

Drinkability - Great! Goes down easy. I have pretty well destroyed a 750 ml in the last 45 minutes, so watch out. It is easy to drink quick but a shame to not enjoy.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

I bought this bottle over a month ago, and thought I'd save it for June 6, 2006. But if the world actually ends that day, who will be around to read this review?

It's a 750mL bottle with a picture of the Newfoundland penninsula on the label under a celestial spotlight of some sort. I'm supposed to enjoy it by 11-21-08.

With a startling cork pop (wasn't really expecting that), I pour some into my trusty Orval goblet. La Fin du Monde presents itself with a clear, very slightly amberish gold, with fine yeast particulates floating around, and an effervescent white head that goes away as quickly as if it were Coca-Cola. I should note at this point that I am tasting this ale at room temperature.

It's a pungent aroma. Spiciness, yeast, orange peel, and alcohol. There's a lot of things going on that I am not yet sophisticated enough to describe.

The taste is equally complex. Similar to the aroma it seems, but in a different order. There's coriander (I think... or cloves) spice, alcohol, a twinge of sweetness, and generic citrus features but no yeast bite, by which I am suprised considering the amount of yeast sediment sitting at the bottom of this bottle. Overall, it makes me want some gorgonzola.

It's sticky and very carbonated like champagne. The alcohol warmth stays only for a little bit, while an oily/creamy feeling lingers. I don't know which.

A little expensive to drink regularly but I'm enjoying this, and that's not the alcohol talking. It's not something you chug at a barbecue, but rather something to be sipped by the fireplace while reading Chaucer or something.

Maybe I should have chilled it at least a few minutes.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured an orangish-straw clear. Well carbonated with a smooth, silky head. Aroma was fruit and almost wit-like. Wouldn't be surprised to learn this was spiced similarly. Possibly some wheat in the nose as well. Quite pleasant. Somewhat tart and highly phenolic flavor. Fruit/orange was prominent. Body was medium and the mouthfeel somewhat prickly. Drinkability was above average, especially for a big beer like this.

Pretty decent beer. Not the greatest thing ever in my opinion, but pretty darn good.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

This is a big beer. Lots of yeast, clove spiciness and banana. Nice golden haze. Head goes bye-bye really quickly. Good lacing, while it lasts. As with most Unibroue beers, there is almost too much carbonation. There is a bit of a sour finish. Seems more like a tripel than a strong pale ale.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A 750ml bottle. It was a cloudy yellow color with a small head and a little bit of lacing. It had a spicy fruit odor with some malt undertones. Taste was wonderful: fruit (citrus) with some nice spiciness that provided a lingering warmth. A little bit of hops. Very good mouthfeel, although a tiny bit too carbonated. Good beer, very drinkable. Reminds me a little bit of La Chouffe.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

750ml

Bright hazy burnt golden orange color with an airy, bubbly white head. Vibrant spicy fruit aroma - crisp citrus - very light phenols and alcohol and a muted sweet maltiness. Smoooth spicy and estery flavor - very well rounded. The fruitiness sticks while the effervescent spices wash over the tongue. A little dry banana in the finish and a lingering warm tartness. Dangerously refreshing for such a strong beer.

A great belgian-style ale for any occasion. Very invigorating for its 9% abv...be careful or this beer might kick your ass...

This ale pours out a hazy copper color with a huge white head that laces and retains quite well.
The aroma is yeasty, fruity and has a slight amount oh hop presence.
The flavor begins very fruity and then gives off a strong clove flavor followed by yeast and more fruit. I detect apples mixed with black cherries. There is also a slight hop presence near the finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body and actively carbonated.

Another quality ale by Unibroue

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%

I tried this beer based on the reviews here and went into my local pub with skepticism... because I'm not a real fan of anything Canadian... no I'm not a stereotyping hypocrite, just bad luck i guess...

The bottle looks great, full of color and character, making it very appealing to the eye, but that's just the beginning. As I poured it into the glass, my heart started racing, my hand sweating. Did i see a hot chick walk across the floor? No, this beer really looks that good.
The golden orange color is bold, the head a heavenly white and very thick. I unfortunately couldn't smell much since nose was a little clogged, but if anything I did smell some wheat.
Taste is overwhelmingly refreshing. It is bold, revitalizing, and quite a treat. It truly is the best of the Belgian Strong Pale Ales. At first, the orange-like citrus flavors emerge, bombarding the palette with rich and lucious textures, with slight undertones of wheat and bread, especially in the aftertaste.
There is no overstating the strong and pronounced taste of this beer. Duvel is very subdued in comparison.
I could not feel any alcohol in this beer, as I did in others the same night, and no... my senses were not dulled by then.

All in all, a very enjoyable and exquisite beer. Truly one that I would like to have over and over, especially after meals...
Kudos to Canada!!!

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Orange golden beer with a small foam layer on top and lots of carbonation.
Smell phenolic, wheat, yeasty like a witbier or weizen
Taste dry and fruity with distinct wheat flavours, alcohol was very well hidden. Very easy to drink and refreshing.
This appears to be the same yeast profile as the Raftman and Maudite, which I feel is not the right yeast for these brews. I might be spoiled with Belgium just around the corner, but this tastes like a witbier with extra alcohol. Not bad, not bad at all, but there is a reason why it is called "'witbier' yeast. Because it complements the flavours contributed by the wheat.

Again, this is not a bad beer, but I cannot understand why this beer gets these very high grades.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

22 oz bomber with a born on date to ensure freshness.

Pours a golden ale somewhat like champagne with lots of carbonation and little lacing.

Faint scents of apple and lemon, other fruits apparent.

Smooth and carbonated very refreshing and has a lemon zest to it not like any I've had before. This is a great Belgian Pale and thought nothing would beat Duvel, I was wrong. I hope the end of the world is this good!!!

Poured a single from that Unibroue gift-pack ($12! woo hoo!) into a pint glass, shame on me.

Came out pretty foamy, but I think some of that's because I didn't let it rest after I got it out of the car. Otherwise, the color is magnificent glowy honey color with a nice stream of bubbles. Head sticks around awhile too.

Smells boozy and acidic, in a good way I suppose. Faint citrus, not unlike a wheat beer.

Tastes not unlike a high quality wit beer too. Very dry though and I can see how people might consider there to be an "herbal" flavor.

Heavy considering the color. I sucked some foam off the top before it settled and I think I got tipsy off of that. It's a confusing feel because though it's very smooth, I do feel some astrigency going down....?

A good beer, but I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of the style. There's something about it, more than just the color, that reminds me of a cheaper wheat beer. Also, it doesn't hide the booze as well as say, Delirium Tremens. I'd drink it again for sure, but I would be reluctant to pay $8.xx for 4.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured carefully, this is a clear golden colored beer with very lively carbonation and a frothy head. The aroma is very rich in clove spice along with hard cider and an under-ripe pineapple tartness. I get a little bit of a grainy character, but it's shadowed by all the posisitve attributes. After the sip, the first wave of flavors that come are of the raw spiciness along with sweet, ripened fruits. The sweetness then falls out and is placed by a slight acidic twang in the sides of the mouth. All the while, the powerful phenols have lightened up as well and have become more of a lingering flavor on the palate to accompany the acidity, alcohol warmth, and aftertaste of smooth malt. Rich in complexities. The mouthfeel does not burden you with heaviness, which is good. If this were any thicker, I think that it (combined with the rich flavor profile) would wear me out.

Definately one of Unibroue's finest.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

I have only tried two Belgian Strong Pale Ales (Delirium Tremens being the other one), The La Fin Du Monde is very similar, but slightly better IMHO. Pours a cloudy dull gold/straw color with a nice carbonated head that slowly dissipates. Little to no lacing. Prominent nose of citrus...lemony aroma. The taste is really good....citrus, astringent, sweetness, All nicely balanced and very drinkable. The taste reminds me of Hefe's but the mouthfeel is richer. Drinkability is very good. The alcohol is well disguised, I could have enjoyed another one. Three would be be pushing it because of the high ABV. This beer, Delerium Tremens and Aventinus have sharpened my palate for astringent beers. This one deserves the reputation it has. Truly a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Easily the most luscious and inviting head I've had the pleasure of seeing. It reminds me of the frothy top of a handmade milkshake; imparting the impression that it was homemade with lots of love. Body is straw colored gold with light carbonation. I would call the nose lemony, but with the disclaimer that it is in no way sour. Also along for the aroma ride is a smell I can only call pleasantly milky and a hefty amount of spice. Taste is at once full of mildly sweet lemon, spice, a dash of sweet milk, and smatter of bitterness. Says I to the mouthfeel, "a winner is you" as it is big and full. The light carbonation enhances its creaminess. The lacing looks like a work of art, or more aptly, something drawn from a nitro tap. Yet another head turning Unibroue beer. Thank you Beer Advocate, for had I not become a member, I would not know the pleasure of this fine brewery.

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark orange with heavy carbonation with a full finger of white head that fades slowly and uniformally

S - a distinct spicy aroma, resembling cloves; with a definite hint of orange peel

T - hmmm, the taste is spicy like herbal teas with hops, surprisingly smooth, dont taste the champagne that the label says

M - it is very fizzy on my tongue from

D - moderate drinkability

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Orangey apricot color appearance. Fairly murky too. Nice 3mm head remains throughout. Smell is clean and fruity. Taste is deep rich blend of fruitiness and some excellent effervescence on the mouthfeel. This is an often overlooked beer. It is tremendous.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue