Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#426

Ratings: 10,106 |  Reviews: 2,992

2.56/5  rDev -40.7%

This beer poured majestically with a great looking head that retained almost the whole way down the glass. It smelled like something similar to a Hoegaarden white and tasted very much like one at first. The taste soon gave way to alcohol as the beer started kicking my ass. This brew can really put some hair on your chest (ladies beware). After finishing two thirds of the glass, the alcohol taste dissipated, but it still had the aftertaste of a white beer. Maybe my view is askew because I haven't had too many beers of this style, but I just don't like it.

2.63/5  rDev -39.1%

I dont know how this is rated as the top Tripel, Its not a bad beer but it is far from great. Tastes like so many other beers that try emulate Belgian Tripels, Quads, and Saisons and miss the mark. So cloyingly sweet it ruins itself.

2.64/5  rDev -38.9%

2.68/5  rDev -38%

Pours a straw color, nothing deep or special. A nice head, but no lacing. An odd scent, a mix of bitter and sweet, not really mixed, but neither one overpowering the other. Has a bubbly feel to it, but goes down smooth enough for a high ABV beer. Not much of a taste, rather bland, but with a bitter, high alcohol aftertaste.

2.69/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -37.5%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better.

2.71/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours yellow, lots of haze. Pillowy, 1" head with great retention and lace. Aroma was metallic and boozy, I really did not enjoy it.

Taste, more boozy-ness, has a lot of yeast and spice rack to it. Some mixture of green apple, band aids, formaldehyde, vanilla, Sephora in the mall. Coats the mouth with flavors I'm not into. Relatively thin body that packs tons of flavor and alcohol heat into it.

I don't get it.

2.75/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me.

2.8/5  rDev -35.2%