La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,064 |  Reviews: 2,977

2.56/5  rDev -40.6%

This beer poured majestically with a great looking head that retained almost the whole way down the glass. It smelled like something similar to a Hoegaarden white and tasted very much like one at first. The taste soon gave way to alcohol as the beer started kicking my ass. This brew can really put some hair on your chest (ladies beware). After finishing two thirds of the glass, the alcohol taste dissipated, but it still had the aftertaste of a white beer. Maybe my view is askew because I haven't had too many beers of this style, but I just don't like it.

2.64/5  rDev -38.7%

2.68/5  rDev -37.8%

Pours a straw color, nothing deep or special. A nice head, but no lacing. An odd scent, a mix of bitter and sweet, not really mixed, but neither one overpowering the other. Has a bubbly feel to it, but goes down smooth enough for a high ABV beer. Not much of a taste, rather bland, but with a bitter, high alcohol aftertaste.

2.69/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

I wish I liked it more…I really really want to like it…I just don't that much. Everyone seems to rave about it. I have tried it numerous times, each time thinking it will be different, but its the same…I just don't see or taste the hype. Maybe if I travel to Canada, it would be better.

2.71/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours yellow, lots of haze. Pillowy, 1" head with great retention and lace. Aroma was metallic and boozy, I really did not enjoy it.

Taste, more boozy-ness, has a lot of yeast and spice rack to it. Some mixture of green apple, band aids, formaldehyde, vanilla, Sephora in the mall. Coats the mouth with flavors I'm not into. Relatively thin body that packs tons of flavor and alcohol heat into it.

I don't get it.

2.75/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Man, just not my thing. I heard great things about the beer, but I just don't like the taste. I've got friends that love it and drink it all the time. Not me.

2.8/5  rDev -35%

2.8/5  rDev -35%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue