La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#415

Ratings: 10,129 |  Reviews: 3,000

Had this beer a few times and I don't see why it's such a great beer. I've had my fair share of great beers, but La Fin Du Monde for me is an overrated beer, one that overshadows many other great Canadian beers such as Creemore Springs, which I think is a far superior tasting beer than this. Personally, I think this beer doesn't rival Unibrue's Blanche De Chambly. The taste is very fruity and it has a high alcohol content. This is one of my least favorite beers, and I don't recommend it.

Sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle. If nothing else the clove aroma and taste is something that is totally a turn off to me. I did try to finish the bottle by holding my nose, still had a strong after taste of clove. I must be the only one out of 25k reviews that couldn't drink it. I can't handle "Any" clove no matter what it's used in.

Good for all that like this beer! Was not in my realm of drinkability .

I still have a bomber left.

2.03/5  rDev -53%

Pours out looking like a bubble bath of apple juice. Looks like a hefeweizen/champagne. Bubbles aplenty.

Aroma is a fruity sensation: apples, pears, banana creme, marshmallows, champagne.

Tastes like an unripe apple as a wine. Mouthfeel is sparkling for a split second, then dry, sweet, sharp, bitter, and yeasty. I taste apple and pear in this one. Aftertaste is dry soap and yeast.

As a hefe I probably wouldve enjoyed this one ten fold - since I'm interested in the flavors presented. It's just too dry for my taste. I see this doesnt go underappreciated, though.

I'll have to find someone to give the rest of this 4-pack to.

2.06/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Very effervescent, but the taste is lacking. Not as fruity of a smell as I would expect from a Belgian style ale... kind of footy and assy.

2.1/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

2.23/5  rDev -48.4%

Poured a cloudy opaque light brown colour with a tan head. It smelled yeasty and citrusy. The taste was strongly of cloves. There were also citrus notes and peppery hops. It was somewhat sweet and had some yeasty notes. Not as overbearing as I feared from the smell. However, the clove taste was too strong to be pleasant. It was the primary character of the beer. The actual ingredient was probably coriander, I suppose, which is frequently used to flavour trippels. However, I found its overbearing character unpleasant. It didn't form a piece of the beer's character. Rather, it was probably covering many other notes it may have had.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue