Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#421

Ratings: 10,113 |  Reviews: 2,994
2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

Hello from a newbie.

This beer was poured from a large bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Color is a cloudy caramel gold. The mocha head was less than a finger and dissipated rapidly. No lace on the glass.

I don't know but I think I smell Musk, maybe beacause of the Canadian influence but I do smell Musk.

Taste is otherworldly. I never tasted a beer like this. It has a perfume taste to it. I don't think I like it. The aftertaste smacks of citrus and seems to linger.

Mouthfeel is not pleasant.

Overall I would not buy this beer again. It might be good on a hot humid day to quench a bout of drymouth. But for a Friday night beer I don't think so.

2.26/5  rDev -47.7%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained

2.28/5  rDev -47.2%

La fin du monde is a based upon a wonderful recipe.

But since feb 2012 bottle dates the bottle (750 ml) priming regime has resulted in a very large number of flat beers. I cannot recommend this beer to anyone, although i appreciate the fresh hop of winter batches.

Unibroue tried to reduce the gas in its product, but couldn't manage the variation which is producing a very large number of flat or very nearly flat beers. La fin du monde shoulld have some gas, enough to push the cork from the bottle. Their quality control has become pathetic, i am very sorry to say.

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Well my apologies to everyone who loves this beer. Pours yellow haze and copper. Smells like alcohol spilled on a copper pipe. Taste wise, very alcoholic, reminiscient of when your old lady fills up the bathroom with perfume and hairspray and you get it in your mouth.

Perfume, apples, clove, maybe even vanilla. And you can't get rid of it for a little while. Sometimes, I've noticed aging the beer a year or three will make it a little less harsh in exchange for additional sweetness. I'd recommend that.

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

2.41/5  rDev -44.2%

maybe it's because ive never had a tripel before, but this was a serious let down for the money. people go on and on about bananas and cloves and this and that... all i got was the impression that a heavy ale had sex with an underdone mead and this was the result. there was a slight fruitiness that was quickly overtaken by a hot alcoholy quality. it was more like drinking medicine than beer. i wont be trying this one again. maybe I'm just not into drinking solvent or beer with an industrial chemical taste.

2.49/5  rDev -42.4%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Cloudy orange/yellow color with about two-three finger lengths of head.

S- Has a sweet fruity scent kinda hoppy as well.

T- Very bitter. Kind of sour. Not well balanced. Very strong fruit flavoring. The alcohol is not well hidden at all.

M- Too bitter and sour. Not smooth at all.

D- Can't drink more than one. Had trouble getting the one I had down.

Overall I'm disappointed in this beer. Had heard great things about it, but I just don't like it. Not really a fan of this style.

2.5/5  rDev -42.1%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue