Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#421

Ratings: 10,113 |  Reviews: 2,994
4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: A cloudy honey-golden color with a sizeable white creamy head. Head eventually fades a bit (to about a 1/4 inch), leaving white lace down the glass. Pretty typical for a brew of this style.

S: A decent nose on this one. Sweet malts and coriander up front, slightly floral undertones, finishes off kind of spicy (cloves, I'd say) with a peppery alcohol tingle.

T: Starts off a tad spicy. Clove and alcohol notes tingle the tip of your tongue, but fade rather quickly. Sweet malt, coriander, hints of orange and SLIGHT twangs of other citrus seem to be the forefront of the flavors. Finishes off with a wave of warming alcohol. However, this is a lot smoother than one would assume for 9% ABV.

M: Tight, crisp carbonation even after pouring. A little more carbonation than the norm, I thought. Overall pretty creamy, with a smooth finish.

O: While the flavors on this one excel far beyond most, I'm just not flabbergasted by how good this one is. It's definitely a beer to be sipped slowly and respected. Well-rounded flavors and a smooth, creamy drinkability make this a wonderful beer to relax with an truly enjoy. It's just not something that'll find its way into my regular pick-ups.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

3.5/5  rDev -19%

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -19%

2.81/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. Very little lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Light taste of caramel.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too heavy.

Overall: Too much of an alcohol taste. I don't know if I got my hands on a bad bottle, I wouldn't say it's undrinkable, I did finish the bottle, but it was way too boozy for my taste. The alcohol taste and aftertaste just overshadow everything that could be great about this beer. I understand that it's a tripel, and supposed to be alcoholic, but this is a little above and beyond to me.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Murky pale gold with an excellent head and very good lacing.

Smell: Yeast, banana, cloves and other spices, bubblegum.

Taste: Yeast, biscuit, banana, cloves, coriander, bubblegum, hints of citrus. .As it warms the spiciness increases as the banana flavor recedes, leaving you with a nice clove flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy yet smooth. The clove sticks with the tongue for a while.

The Verdict: Very very good. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by this Belgian Tripel after reading all the rave reviews, but to be honest I prefer their Don De Dieu. Maybe because I just had a Hef from a local brewer that tastes very similar this.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue