La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Quebec, Canada

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,935 | Ratings: 9,907
4.61/5  rDev +7%

One of the most explosive beers I've ever poured - at only a drip's pace - lively carbonation races up the sides of the glass! The bubbles don't stop there, as the robust head continues to grow for a minute or two and ever so slowly begins to deflate into an off-white silken custard, scarcely down to three-finger's width before I must indulge in the first take. A zesty nose of cherries married with citrus, on my palate comes a hint of pineapples and pear. Extremely well balanced, especially considering its 9% abv. Playful on the tongue, strong but sweet, a definite refresher with a hidden strength that will sneak up on ya! ;]

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

enjoyed from a westmalle glass....

A- toasty golden color with some sediment leaving it slighty un-seethrough. Head was thick but bleach white, however it dissipated quickly and didn't leave too much lacing (might have been the glass)

S- Smelt like I raided the fruit basket. Definite Granny Smith Apple smell, slightly sour at first but spicy throughout the remainder. Reminded me of apple pie slightly with the addition of the cinnamon and brown sugar smells.

T- exactly what my nose smelt.

M- smooth and crisp like an autumns day, definetely detected the alcohol.

D- middle of the road. I think they overdid the spicing and I felt more like I was eating a pie than drinking a beer (though is that a bad thing all the time?)

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz capped bottle

A generous pour into my Unibroue tulip glass produced a gloriously hazy light orange body with a bubbly white head that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a tight lace all down the glass. The smell is all about the yeast and breads. Bready yeast and lemongrass are on the mouth with a slight bitterness and spiciness to it that leaves a crisp aftertaste. Light and crisp for a 9% beer you want to session this one, but the deceptiveness of that alcohol can leave you on the floor if you aren't safe.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Beautiful beer. Cloudy gold with a nice white head. Almost glows.

S: Smells a bit fruity and yeasty. Nothing offensive.

T: You immediately get a mixture of fruits. Very complex. At the end there is unique yeast taste I am not familiar with. Very different from anything else. Overall it is tasty, but didn't make me want more.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Leaves a strong lasting flavor of yeast and unripened bananas.

O: A good beer unlike anything I have tasted before. It was probably too sophisticated for me to truly appreciate. But I did like it. Just won't be going back for more.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm writing this review after the fact, so I'm trying to remember the initial experience.

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with Dubbels and Tripels, so I didn't know exactly what to expect with this beer when I first had it.

It poured a bright golden color: very effervescent and lively with a very soda-like white foam head.

What struck me was how aromatic the beer was. I could smell some honey and fruit/berry scents: possibly apple and strawberry--very sweet.

The taste was much of the same. Very light on the mouthfeel and the 9% alcohol was masked nicely.

Overall, this was a great way to break into Belgians. I'm afraid with such a renowned offering, I may have set myself up for disappointment in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feeeel fine," wrote one particular band of New Foundland origin. I can totally agree with that statement and if the world's ending, grab a bottle of this bigtime Belgian. These Unibroue folks are giving Belgians a run for their money and they have absolutely perfected all styles. I cannot find fault in this beer, but it's not for the faint-of-heart. It pours big and frothy, with the hint of sweetness you would expect from the Belgian yeast. I poured it into a snifter, like you should, and I let it relax and warm for a few minutes before inhaling. It warmed me right up and gave me the feeling like that if the world did end there and then, this beer was taking me into a world of its own! I would say that this is a beer for someone who's open-minded. Someone who likes to sit and sip a beer or two while those around him/her down pint after pint. A beer for old souls who know that if the world ends, they lived a pretty damn good life and they let out a big, cheerful "Salut!" in jest.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into chalice glass

A- Turbid light orange with a 1 finger lively head which quickly dissipates. Persistent carbonation with no lacing.

S- Apricot and yeast notes. Very fresh aroma.

T- Very smooth malt taste, with good spice from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol flavor.

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. Really enjoy the complex flavors and smooth finish.

First sip with Guillermo and Bob at deli in DTLA during Artwalk summer 2011. Buy at Trader Joes $7.50 for bomber or Total Wine $9.99 four small bottles.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

WARNING: This review is being done at a New Year's Eve party, a few bottles of this have already been imbibed...

Appearance: Hazy brownish orange. Champagne like carbonation.

Smell: Mild clove.

Taste: Not unlike the Achel 8. Almost hefeweizen like but more clove and spicy. Very spicy.

Mouthfeel: Vigorous carbonation. Light body. Spicy.

Drinkability: Being as I've already had quite a few and looking forward to having more, I would say this is definantly very drinkable.

Notes: Borderline typical tripel but with a lot more spicy, clovey tastes. Fantastic overall.

Rest assured I will give this another non-inebriated review later on. But I do think my review is acceptable at the moment.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have visited this fine beer on many a night. This night I write my review at the end of a 750ml bottle and its 9% alcohol is not pronounced in the mouth, but evident in the head.

This fine beer poors with the looks of a hefeweizen and a nice head that slowly dissipates into a slight lacing. Smell is dominated with Uni's distinct yeast.

Taste is of yeast, fruity esters, and a touch of citrus that rolls off with the alcohol content leaving a slightly peppery feel on the tongue.

This fine beer leaves a wonderous full weight on the tongue while remaining light in comparison to the darker belgium styles. I say drink this as much as your beer exploration will allow and don't settle for only a 12 ounce when there is a 750ml available.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

A great brew--why have I been wasting my money on costly belgians?! An erruptive pour, exploding into an enormous, frothy head that lasted for the whole amber glass. Volcanic activity below the surface, a tornado of bubbles eventually subsiding into a weak effervescence. Strong spicy smell, ethanol in the pour but didn't last. Citrus, corriander, cloves. Soapy attack, spice fading in the back of the throat, giving way to grapes, sour raspberries. Dry aftertaste, slightly tacky, leaving traces of the spice. Medium mouthfeel, slightly weak. Excellent drinkability--easily camoflagues the 9% abv.

1/2 as much as other Belgians. That's enough for my endorsement.

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a transparent light gold out of a 12oz'er into a small wine glass.

Head to head against La Chouffe, considerably less carbonation and little head retention with only a rim of lace left after some sips. Smells like a delicious Belgian-style Witbier. Mouthfeel is a little thicker than La Chouffe. Taste is better to me as well.

App. 4, Smell - 4.5, Mouthfeel - 4, Taste - 3.5 - Drinkability - 4

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Best before February 2009. I cellared this one for about nine months before popping it open.

Pours light and hazy, almost as light as a macro lager but with a redder tinge. The head is fluffy and enormous, eventually reducing to about a quarter inch. Bubbles continue to rise in the beer. There is a touch of lacing.

Smells first of yeast and then orange. A light, refreshing aroma.

Taste is mellow, again citrus, with just a breath of hops for balance. There is a bit of spice in the aftertaste - peppery, a faint hint of alcohol. I would never guess that this is 9% ABV. In a blind taste test, I might mistake this for a saison.

Mouthfeel is unique. The carbonation level is perfect - low at first, allowing the orange juice flavors to come through, but swallowing the beer releases a prickly burst of the pepper note down the tongue and throat.

This beer does not allow itself to be guzzled. It forces you to take it in small sips, allowing for nice waves of flavor. Exceptional.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

read alot about this picked one up, split it with some friends. really dug the map of north america/quebec on the label; as well as the cork.

appearance is a real nice unfiltered, golden color. fluffy white head, forms a snowtop on the beer. head doesnt do too much lacing, but doesn't go anywhere during the drink.

the smell and taste are super complex, but super enjoyable. smell has lots of fruity esters, especially apple, followed by lots of spices. not too much malt or hop present, but im assuming thats unique to this style. also lots of sweet hues, from honeys and sweet malts or light malts. the taste explodes on the palate, lots of carbonation and sweetness at first. a real sweet fruity, spicy taste, cant really detect too much bitterness, once again nice sweet honeys and sweet notes on the mouth. lots of warmth from the alcohol.

mouthfeel has a lot of carbonation, but its not stingy like some of the more over carbonated beers. it just presents a real nice bubble and pop to it. the head is a nice addition to, really frothy and enjoyable.

great beer, very new to tripels but enjoyed this. certainly not my favorite style, but for someone who really digs it, this seems to be near the top.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

My favorite tripel possibly. Had out of both 750ml and regular bottle. This review was from the bottle. 750ml is better IMO. Using a chalice.

A- sexy orangish gold color that is translucent. Thick white head on my pour. Very bubbly almost champagne like.

S- Spicy with some fruity esters. I love the smell of this beer. Typical belgian yeast strain smell.

T- You get your belgian yeast. Slight spice and even less fruit. perfectly blended if you ask me.

M- your clean belgian yeast tripel mouthfeel.

D- the ABV is masked well. id say its easy to drink in the tripel catagory.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a hazy deep golden yellow with some hints of orange. And a one finger near frothy head. Very effervescent.

Smells quite yeasty, and a little tart. I get lots of fruits including apple, pear and a little bit of banana. A little bit of clove and pepper.

Taste is much like the smelll with lots of bready, slightly tangy, yeastiness, fruity notes along with some spiciness and little bit of funk at the end. The fruity notes have element of apple, pear, a little bit of banana and perhaps apricot . Clove and pepper are the predominant spice notes. Quite well-balanced and a good introduction to the tripel style, as this one is substantially less funky and quite a bit sweeter than many other tripels.

The mouthfeel is good although I prefer it when tripels are a little bit drier.

Alcohol is very well-hidden, and the beer is super-drinkable. If you did not read the label that this was 9% it would not be at all evident.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Very cloudy looking coming out of the bottle during the pour. It settles very nicely into the glass creating a 1/2 inch dense white head which dissipated very quickly leaving only a ring on the outside. The color is golden saffron. The smell of this is incredible. I immediately smell strong floral, fruits and spice with a touch of honey included. The taste immediately brings out the floral aspects, the most of any beer I've ever had. I can't quite decide which fruits I detect, but the spice notes at the end are delicious and create a dry finish. This reminds me of champagne because of the high carbonation feel and such a dry finish. A wonderful tripel.

Side note: I first tried this beer about (maybe) 10 years ago while on a ski trip in Quebec. I picked it up at a small package store just outside the tiny town of Magog. The only reason I bought it was because I like the label of the bottle. I placed this outside of my hotel balcony in the snow and drank it right from the bottle, ice cold. Immediately, this became one of my favorite beers and I did not realize it was available in my area until a few years ago.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

This is a good beer, but not on a par with the best examples, such as Affligem Tripel.
It holds all the hallmarks of a Belgian-style beer: nice color, thick head, wheaty aroma. It is just that it's a bit watery for a Tripel. I'd like more substance, more hearty goodness. As it stands, it can't really match up to the same range of foods that a traditional Belgian Tripel could. It's best drunk on its own, really.

Nevertheless, it drinks very well and, in absence of a Hennepin Ale in my closest local grocery store, will pass for a Belgian-style ale if need be.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

a - pours a murky golden-amber; head is three fingers of luscious white foam with streaky lacing

s - intense aroma of apples, citrus and coriander

t - a complex hoppy and malty delight

m - wonderfully smooth, with a champaign-like effervescence

d - an absolutely unmatched Tripel,this is truly "the end of the earth"

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into an Allagash tulip from a 750ml caged and corked bottle.

Pour: Very clear straw coloring with foamy head that quickly disappears.

Aroma: Apple, alcohol, peppercorn, clove, Belgian yeast funk, and twizzler. The aroma also has a strong alcohol hint, and is a bit medicinal.

Taste: Sweet fruit flavors up front, some pear or nectarine with apples and honey. Very estery. If you really search for it, there is a bit of hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor, and probably helps with the dry finish. Pepper, cloves, funk, and a bit of banana help to round out the palate. very complex, a delicious beer.

Overall: This really is a perfect beer. Endless complexity, very delicious. I could keep drinking bottles of this, and continually find new flavors without growing tired of it.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Friends have been talking about this beer for a while, thus I was excited to try it.

A- Golden yellow, with a beautiful white head that lingered fourfinger for a while.

S- Yeast, pepper, and maybe clove. Others like this smell. Me not really.

T-Fruit and spices. Can taste the alchohol.

M- High Carbonation and thin to medium taste.

D- Would I drink it again? Yeah. But not any time soon. I could see how lovers of this style would go crazy for this well made beer.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz. bottle dated October 2004. La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/gold color with a large 3 finger head. It smells bread like, citrusy and of nuts. Not a bad smell at all. However, the taste i where the beer went down hill. It tasted very much like Duvel, but a cheap, less appealing Duvel. It tasted like nuts, and I kept getting the taste of a cork.. strange. It's kind of bitter, but not too bad. You can definitely taste the citrus as well, but I can't get the cork out of my mind. Not very pleasing, not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is fine and smooth. Drinkable? Eh yeah, for a while. It took me a while to finish the whole glass, but it went down. My bottle was obviously pretty old, so I'd like to try a fresh one and see how my opinion differs.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue