La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,955 | Ratings: 9,975
4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful tasting beer. Golden and cloudy with thick creamy foam. Good combination of malt and spice taste with a non-bitter,curt finish. Overall just a fantastic beer. Reminds me of Hennepin.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Well I finally got ahold of this guy and am I ever glad that I did. The color is of a typical triple light in color however I had very little head that didn't stick around and no lacing. The smell is that typical lovely belgian smell with sweet smells of citrus and sourness. The taste came as a shock. This beer is as good as everyone says it is. Complex and just all round wonderful fruity and a hint of hops. This is a nice complex beer and a mouthfeel that you don't want to miss especially when you can feel it run across your tounge like a nice cold peice of ice, or something like that. Anyway I glad I only got a 4 pack at 9% I wouldn't be able to last much longer. I am sure these will all be gone soon.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Pours a light opaque peach, some sediment with a bubbly white head which quickly dissipates leaving a slight ring and some nice lacing as well.

S: Strong fruity yeast and a nicely masked alcohol sting. Heavily spiced but nothing stands out. Citrusy orange, lemon and honey. Musky malt base.

T: Sweet yeasty front with a citrusy back bite and some nice bittering hops. Alcohol is masked superbly. Spices are heavy but again nothing stands out. Finishes with a spicy pepper bite, yet not the taste of pepper alone.

M: Sweetness and bitter combat playfully, nice carbonation with a bitter hop aftertaste.

D: The alcohol in this is masked so well making this a highly drinkable belgian, but the spices would hold me to just one. An excellent beer.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance is a cloudy golden color with a two finger frothy white head. The head goes down some but lasts throughout. Nice lacing on the glass. The smell is sweet and of citrus. The taste is peppery and of yeast. Citrus, especially pineapple, is evident. I had this right out of the fridge and it got smoother as it warmed. Alcohol can be sensed but its not overpowering. Mouthfeel is carbonated but pleasant. Drinkability is very good, especially for a 9.0% ABV. LFDM may be too sweet for some but I found it very well balanced. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer that I will have again.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

A = honey golden, slightly translucent and opaque. Beautiful head that has good staying power. Bubbles tighter than my girlfriend.... and almost intricate lacing in the glass.

S = Fragrant citrus, natural yeast, small alcohol smell, but no skunky anything

T = Flowery, Complex in its simplicity, long lasting taste that lasts long after the drink is complete. Wonderful bitter and not overly hoppy.

M = A wonderful tingle through the whole mouth. Natural carbonation and a biting swallow. Thick resin like feel to the brew.

D = Anytime, anywhere, I'd even drink it warm

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Golden, cloudy, with some yeasty dregs. Excellent head with great lacing. Beautiful.

S: Aroma a touch muted, but still enticing. Malty, spicy, as one would expect for the style.

T: Magnifique! If this is what the end of the world tastes like, I want front row tickets to the apocalypse. A sweet symphony of various flavors all combined flawlessly and seamlessly. Malt, spice, hints of fruit. A ton going on, but never overwhelming, nor cloying. 9% alcohol masked extremely well.

M: 5.0 'nuff said.

D: The great thing about this brew is you can choose to ignore the complexity and session it (at your peril), or revel in the menagerie. Unibroue leaves it up to you.

O: An excellent beer. Easily among my top go-to choices. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a huge favor and buy a 750.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into maudite snifter.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw color with one finger head that stays around.

S- Peppery, fruity, belgian yeast smell and some malt shines through. Very complex and appealing.

T- Banana, cloves, pepper, some lemon, pale malt. Delicious.

M- Very nicely carbonated. Effervescent.

O- One of my favorite beers in one of my favorite styles. Never disappoints.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

A - a yellow pale, golden, honey color. its not clear at all, is between clear and hazy. The head was a fizzy, dimiinishing in seconds.not lacing at all.

S - Sweet toast. caramel, perfumy, floral. Some oranges, coriander, spices going around that made this a fruity,floral smell. Nice- appeling.

T - A lot of fruits going around, lemon, orange, bananas! Spices, floral flavors. grainy, a kick of nuts! a high percentage of alcohol that is well-balanced. A very clean balanced flavors and ingredients.

M - Incredibly smooth. buttery. crispy but creamy. the carbonation is delicate. well balanced body. and the finish is between dry and wet.

O - Excellent beer. Well balanced crispy-creamy beer. High in alcohol that makes this beer even more interesting. Floral, spicy, fruity, but a kick of nuts!

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Fantastic Belgian style beer that really tastes like the classic Belgians. Reminded me of a smoother version of Gulden Draak. Some fruit flavors. Bold with some interesting spicing but very drinkable almost TOO drinkable, this stuff would be dangerous on tap. Love love loved it.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Like many others it was the artwork on Unibroue that first attracted me to them. I thought to myself if it looks this good it must taste at least half-way decent. I was more then surprised by the contents of the bottle.

The hazy straw color with frothy head that slowly disperses is quiet nice. The aroma is soothing and full of complex notes that sometimes remind me of lemon, yeast, and other highly aromatic herbs that lean towards the floral end. It is most deffinately an ale that lingers in your mouth while it dances about your palate with is spiciness. A true treasure in a bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Served from a 750ML bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a nice thick white head that slightly settles down to a small head.

S: Smells a bit fruity with some spicy and sweet overtones and the scent of malts lingering around.

T: Very carbonated drink here. Has a nice little bite to it with a slightly sweet citrusy and yeasty flavors. Leaves a bit of a bitter bite on the palate towards the end of the swig.

M: Excellent mouthfeel. Feels very lively and carbonated on the tongue and leaves your mouth a little dry.

D: Very drinkable in my opinion. The potency and excellent melding of flavors make this particular brew very easy to drink. Not to heavy and not to light, it nailed the right combination.

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Ordered at a local pub with pizza, presented in the bottle - pint glass on the side.

I poured it into the glass, raising just a thin lacy head which dissipated almost instantly. It was hazy and the color of golden wheat. Yeast was visibly floating in the glass.

The nose was sweet - honey and florals, with sharp spices and a little grassy.

The taste was layered: sweet first, tingly on the tongue, then the spices and florals hit with a hint of ginger and what I call a "Belgian Funk," the finish is slightly dry with a snap of hops which brings you into a pleasant after taste.

I'm giving an average drinkability because while the alcohol doesn't affect the taste at all, the beer is too tangy to give it a high drinkability rating, though it is still a great beer.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy yellow, straw-like appearance with a huge bright white head. Great retention down the glass.

S: Cloves, lemon, cinnamon, straw, and malt

T: Sweet citrus up front with faint spice in the background. Hints of banana that stays sweet throughout. Floral hops at the end, with an astringent finish. Alcohol is barely noticeable, but does provide a nice warmth.

M: Crisp, clean, high carbonation, but smooth throughout.

D: Very drinkable tripel.... Very drinkable. Delicious, crisp, and a complex layered taste makes this a great brew!

Bottom Line: Try this beer. It is one of those that everyone needs to have tasted at least once.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Drank on 12-30

Well I decide to review this after I stretched my four pack over 8 months. Trust me it was hard to do! Even though it's from canada it is a super tasty tripel.

I drank em out of tulips. Pours cloudy golden yellow color. Smells of belgian yeast, cloves, fruits kinda apple-ish. Feels good to the mouth with very adequate carbonation. The 9% is hidden very well, and I think keeping these has really no major positive or negatives, At least that I experienced in the 8 months. This stuff is really great and a good price, so I will most defiantly be buying again in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Golden Orangeish color, some head that fades to nothing
S- banana maybe, orange
T/F- fruity taste that leads to malts, light body
O- Not to flavorful but they are present throughout, was an alright beer, may consider again but not in the near future

4.61/5  rDev +7%

One of the most explosive beers I've ever poured - at only a drip's pace - lively carbonation races up the sides of the glass! The bubbles don't stop there, as the robust head continues to grow for a minute or two and ever so slowly begins to deflate into an off-white silken custard, scarcely down to three-finger's width before I must indulge in the first take. A zesty nose of cherries married with citrus, on my palate comes a hint of pineapples and pear. Extremely well balanced, especially considering its 9% abv. Playful on the tongue, strong but sweet, a definite refresher with a hidden strength that will sneak up on ya! ;]

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

enjoyed from a westmalle glass....

A- toasty golden color with some sediment leaving it slighty un-seethrough. Head was thick but bleach white, however it dissipated quickly and didn't leave too much lacing (might have been the glass)

S- Smelt like I raided the fruit basket. Definite Granny Smith Apple smell, slightly sour at first but spicy throughout the remainder. Reminded me of apple pie slightly with the addition of the cinnamon and brown sugar smells.

T- exactly what my nose smelt.

M- smooth and crisp like an autumns day, definetely detected the alcohol.

D- middle of the road. I think they overdid the spicing and I felt more like I was eating a pie than drinking a beer (though is that a bad thing all the time?)

A wonderful cloudy orange glow emanates. It has a perfect citrus and bready aroma. The carbonation attacks the mouth which gives it a bit of spice. But plenty of orange, grapefruit, and yeasty baked bread permeate the flavor. It finishes clean. Really, one of the best brews ever crafted.

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

I got this after a recommendation from a friend.

This pours a nice gold color. Not too much head, but the carbonation lasts a long time.

Both the smell and taste are about what you would expect for a dopplebock.

A very solid dopplebock. Has more on the malt side than most.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz capped bottle

A generous pour into my Unibroue tulip glass produced a gloriously hazy light orange body with a bubbly white head that dissipates rather quickly, but leaves a tight lace all down the glass. The smell is all about the yeast and breads. Bready yeast and lemongrass are on the mouth with a slight bitterness and spiciness to it that leaves a crisp aftertaste. Light and crisp for a 9% beer you want to session this one, but the deceptiveness of that alcohol can leave you on the floor if you aren't safe.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Beautiful beer. Cloudy gold with a nice white head. Almost glows.

S: Smells a bit fruity and yeasty. Nothing offensive.

T: You immediately get a mixture of fruits. Very complex. At the end there is unique yeast taste I am not familiar with. Very different from anything else. Overall it is tasty, but didn't make me want more.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Leaves a strong lasting flavor of yeast and unripened bananas.

O: A good beer unlike anything I have tasted before. It was probably too sophisticated for me to truly appreciate. But I did like it. Just won't be going back for more.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm writing this review after the fact, so I'm trying to remember the initial experience.

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with Dubbels and Tripels, so I didn't know exactly what to expect with this beer when I first had it.

It poured a bright golden color: very effervescent and lively with a very soda-like white foam head.

What struck me was how aromatic the beer was. I could smell some honey and fruit/berry scents: possibly apple and strawberry--very sweet.

The taste was much of the same. Very light on the mouthfeel and the 9% alcohol was masked nicely.

Overall, this was a great way to break into Belgians. I'm afraid with such a renowned offering, I may have set myself up for disappointment in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feeeel fine," wrote one particular band of New Foundland origin. I can totally agree with that statement and if the world's ending, grab a bottle of this bigtime Belgian. These Unibroue folks are giving Belgians a run for their money and they have absolutely perfected all styles. I cannot find fault in this beer, but it's not for the faint-of-heart. It pours big and frothy, with the hint of sweetness you would expect from the Belgian yeast. I poured it into a snifter, like you should, and I let it relax and warm for a few minutes before inhaling. It warmed me right up and gave me the feeling like that if the world did end there and then, this beer was taking me into a world of its own! I would say that this is a beer for someone who's open-minded. Someone who likes to sit and sip a beer or two while those around him/her down pint after pint. A beer for old souls who know that if the world ends, they lived a pretty damn good life and they let out a big, cheerful "Salut!" in jest.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into chalice glass

A- Turbid light orange with a 1 finger lively head which quickly dissipates. Persistent carbonation with no lacing.

S- Apricot and yeast notes. Very fresh aroma.

T- Very smooth malt taste, with good spice from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol flavor.

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. Really enjoy the complex flavors and smooth finish.

First sip with Guillermo and Bob at deli in DTLA during Artwalk summer 2011. Buy at Trader Joes $7.50 for bomber or Total Wine $9.99 four small bottles.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue