La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Quebec, Canada

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,935 | Ratings: 9,906
4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A very refreshing beer. Good carbonation. Bright yellow color. Would definitely recommend trying.
Wouldn't be a regular beer for me but definitely once in a while.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Served from a 750 ml champagne style bottle with an illustration of Quebec on the label. Freshness date printed on back.

Appearance: Golden body colour with a cider appearance. Fairly fizzy whitish head that subsides to a thin patchy lace that's maintained by the high carbonation.

Smell: Sweet fruity and slightly floral aroma with a character similar to a Hefeweizen. Also a faint caustic alcohol smell that is pretty well hidden.

Taste: Slightly sweet and fruity upfront. Some grainy and wheat flavours come through and finishes with some dry flowery hops that is amplified with a unique type of bitterness. Sharp alcohol bitterness that amplifies the hop flavours and makes this brew finish dry, as well as reminding you to take it slow and easy with this brew, lest you become legless before the night is over.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light for such a high alcohol brew. Very refreshing though, with a tingly high carbonation level that was reminiscent of champagne.

Notes: This goes down real easy for a high gravity brew. I shared this bottle with a friend and we finished it a lot faster than I expected and were kinda tipsy towards the end. Respect the brew as they say. Overall a good beer. Well balanced and tasty. Also I would suggest this as a good beer for the craft brew fan who is uninitiated into the world of Belgian style beers.

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A. Cloudy, amber to light orange appearance with nice fluffy white head. Spotty lacing.

S. Belgian style nose all over this one - yeasty charcoal, toasted bread, mild citrus and clove. Very pleasant fragrance.

T. Similar taste profile to the nose - malts and mixed fruits upon entry and then some prickly hops and a lingering banana/yeastiness on the finish. Flavor stays with you for a while

M. Medium bodied with good carbonation - feels quite nice across my entire palate.

D. This is an easy to drink beer that is very enjoyable. Keeps you warm from the first sip. A wonderful sipper. My first Unibroue beer and one that I will buy again. Highly recommend.

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz to glass

A- Very cloudy yellow, with an almost sludgy look to it. A bit darker than a Hefeweisen. One finger of white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Smells a bit like a hefeweisen, banana, peach, and a little sweet honey smell. A strong pineapple smell comes out over the yeast. Very fruity and "tropical", not what I expected.

T- Quite the bite to the toungue at first, then it mellows out to the flavors found in the smell. Pineapple and yeast most prevalent. Nice sweet malts, a little honey. This isn't really to my taste but beyond style I don't have many complaints. A well brewed and interesting beer.

M- Great body, great carbonation. Feels good.

D- Suprisingly good for the abv. Really not bad at all. I wish I had more to say about this beer!

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I'm noticing that metallic taste as well, but it's not too off putting when the rest of the beer is quite good. A lot of carbonation in it, pours fantastically with a small amount of head.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip, it formed a good head over the orange hued brew.

The aroma is a great mix of spices and fruit.

The taste is very dry, again a mix of spices and fruits. The flavors are well blended, such that it's hard to pick out specifics. The alcohol is a present, but welcome, giving the beer body and strength, without becoming too noticeable.

Overall, this is a good Tripel, but very dry. I would have liked a bit more sweetness to it. There's a very nice Belgian complexity to the beer, such that I rarely find in beers made outside of Belgium.

4.92/5  rDev +14.2%

Again, for a non-Belgian beer, Unibroue seems to have the style down.
A nice golden yellow color, with white lacy head. The lace lingered on in patches down the glass throughout drinking. "On lees", but if poured slowly, it is crystal clear.
The smell was comprable to Cantillon Iris, with less grapefruit and more subtle hints of the Belgian yeast strains. Has the Unibroue nose that is found in almost all their beers. Compared to the Cantillon, it actually is a bit more pleasant to smell, as it is not overpowering on the first whiff.
Hints of coriander and orange cut through the crispness of the beer. A light tartness, but the malt/sugar content cuts smooths it out, creating a nice blend.
The motuhfeel can be a bit crisp or light, but not so much as to be distracting.
At 9%ABV, its still a very drinkable beer. It is not heavy, and I don't really ever feel like I'm filling up when having it.
A wonderful Tripel that holds up to any other of the style that I've had.

4.87/5  rDev +13%

Flawless, hazy-orange pour. A frothy and rich white head holds respectable retention.

I hardly needed to hold my nose up to the head to catch the intensly sweet aromas. Very orange and citric with malty-rich hints of yeast.

Incredible flavor. I need not continue but I will. One of the best brews I have had the pleasure to enjoy. A subtle zestiness enriches the palate followed by a tangy, semi-sweet finish that represents the perfect tripel ale. Way too smooth going down - abv content masked unmercifully.

Carbonation was consistent and well balanced with the rest of the beer. Suprisingly lighter texture and feel than was expecting but in pleasing way.

Never had a tripel better than this one. Too easy to drink and so delicious, I cherished this glass of beer. On to the next Unibrue!

1.84/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

First off let me tell you I am not fond of Belgian Tripels but I keep trying different ones to see if my taste changes.

Poured a decent pale orange with a 2 finger head and lots of bubbles.

It smelled like a fruit bowl thats been sitting around for a little too long. Eh my stomach said dont do it.

I took the first sip and there it was. The taste I despise so much. It was the rotten over fermented fruit I find in all these beers. So so so unpleasant.

Along with the taste it was super thin and over carbonated and just terrible.

I gave drinkability a 2 but only because I thought if Im drunk enough I could probably gag a few down for the high ABV but I dont get drunk to much and will probably never do this.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am very glad that Golden Monkey was my first Belgian Tripel... even though its an American beer. Why? Because I feel that every time I buy a new Tripel to try, it just keeps getting better. No offense to Victory. Anyways, before trying this brew, I must say Brooklyn Local 1 was so far the best I have tried. The aroma of this beer is typical of this style. Nothing mind blowing or exciting. Smells, in my opinion, the same as every other beer of this style... yeast and fruit. I took nice sniff before I tried it to see if I could anticipate the taste. Well at first, I thought I was right. Right after I swallowed, I realized I was dead wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by the spicy clove after taste; something I have yet to experience in this type of beer. It has a very sweet and spicy flavor. Yeast is obviously present as well as alcohol as this is a 9% ABV brew. Because of the sweetness of this beer, I don't think its as drinkable as maybe the Brooklyn Local 1. I don't know what else to say about this really... It is an amazing Tripel for lack of better words. If you like this style, definitely try this one. Its not very expensive... I bought this a Trader Joe's in Brookline, MA for $6.49 and anyone from the area knows damn well that Boston is notorious for price gauging alcohol.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Here it is! Review Number Three of O!Red's Brew Tube!

Here's a Belgian Tripel in celebration of being accepted as a volunteer at this year's up and coming Night of the Funk and Belgian Beer Fest! I'll be giving you all the what's up September 9th and 10th with some insider info & short reviews from the fest!

This Tripel comes from Unibroue in Chambly, Canada! La Fin du Monde! Or for you lazy bums who can't type in French Dictionary into Google, The End of the World. 9% ABV YUM!

A Tripel is a 3x extra malted beer and La Fin du Monde is also Triple Fermented! These "BIG" beers have some high ABV's but hide it amongst the big malty sweetness and balanced hop flavor. Expect these to contain flavors of complexity. Good thing it comes in a 750ml (or 1 pint 9.4 fl oz for you lazy ones)!

Poured from/ 750 ML bottle with cork /into/ Red Wine Glass (for lack of Goblet or Chalice).

The eyes get a nice big head making it's way down from 3 fingers to present lace all around the glass. The fizzing is loud and the effervescence continuous. The lacing sticks nicely round the curves. The bubbles rest on a hazy golden brew.

This beer smells just like it should. Banana, sweet fruit maltiness. Hops not highly apparent. Mostly sugary goodness with a hint of alcohol.

The first taste reveals its true nature. Very bready. If I didn't see that it was beer I figured I could roll some pastries with it. Banana remains prominent in the flavor. You definitely know this is a Belgian style. Already I feel the warmth of the alcohol hitting my gut. One thing they do right, hide that burn as if this was malty cream soda. An earthy quality is present and lingers after I put down the glass to type.

My mouth feels awesome. Not super dry, not needing to have another satisfying sip, but there's no reason why I wouldn't. Bubbly up front, hops coming through in the back with that earthy taste. This may come from the yeast. So pleasant to drink.

The Belgians I've had in the past have definitely been great beers. Very different than what I originally considered beer, but nevertheless it's so damn good. I think because of geographical proximity, MA is very much in love with Belgians and I can totally see why. La Fin du Monde doesn't shake things up so much as it gives you a perfect example of the style. This may not be Dogfish Head, but remember people, Dogfish head would not be successful at creating such UNIQUE Beers if not for the jumping off point provided by good craft beer that people already love!

If you are from Belgium and speak Dutch, op uw gezondheid! If you speak Francois, a votre sante! And for you lazy buggers, gosh darn you get on my nerves sometimes... it's Cheers! Or as O!Red likes to say, Raise your glass! I'd Tap That!

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Really, 9% ABV? This goes down so smooth, you'd never notice. Unibroue is a great brewery and is this is their pinnacle beer. It's clear, bright, sippable or drinkable straight. I woudl bribe friends to buy cases and drive them back over the border. This is a beer to seek out; it's a lot to pack into such a small bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours out a light gold color, slightly hazy texture, with a light head, maybe a half finger. Pretty good head retention as well. Smell is very light, some minor hint of floral hops and light malts. Taste has some light malt sweetness and finishes with a hint of hop bite. Mouthfeel has a comfortable thickness to it, slightly reminiscent of the texture of a light hefeweissen. Overall, a very refreshing beer without the overpowering "Belgian funk" that one gets with the Belgian yeasts. Also hides the higher ABV% well. Definitely a "must try", and one I would drink again, as well as getting to share with others.

1.77/5  rDev -58.9%

Either I got a bad bottle or they brew this stuff with old cigarette butts.. I took 4 sips and pored it down the drain .. maybe O should have taken it back at 8.44 a bottle

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Had to try this one with it's outstanding reviews. I love Tripels with some good carbonation, but this one was really carbonated to the point to tasting a little tinny. Overall a good Tripel and while I'm left wondering if they are as much my style as I've always though - I must conclude that this is the best of the beers I've had out of Canada so far.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, with a best before date of 09-09-07, into a goblet glass. Presented itself with an opaque golden color with a rich head which devolved into persistent lacing. Smelt fresh and spring-like with an effervescent scent. Initially tasted of apples with a slight alcohol aftertaste. As it warmed, I detected an increasingly pleasant taste that reminded me of cola with a hint of sweet citrus. Excellent balance of carbonation and smoothness. Easy to sip and equally easy to return to the cooler for another 750ml bottle. Fine example of this style. Kudos to Unibroue for another outstanding product.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured a very hazy light golden color. Dense white head that settled to about a 1/4" for the rest of the glass.

Aroma is spicy, with hints of citrus.

Flavor is good, some more spice and a bit of lemon on the finish. However, there is a slight metallic flavor that detracts a bit.

Mouthfeel is full with a prickly carbonation.

Overall, its a good beer, I'll have to come back to this one again.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

La Fin Du Monde translates as “The End of the World” and if you ad “till” on the front, that is exactly how long I would drink this beer if I could.

I’ve come to expect… No… demand high quality (and high alcohol) beers from Unibroue, but somehow I am still surprised by the amount my mouth waters when I simply think about this beer. Did I mention I like it a lot? Good.

The beer sings of its thickness on the way out of the bottle, pouring out almost like coffee creamer. The shade is quite an attractive antique gold, and the beer quickly develops a very generous frothy head. The head reduces almost as quickly as it formed, but a small amount is maintained due to the rapidly rising bubbles. The smell is staggering – an estery banana / vanilla nose that sends my tastebuds to watering. A fruity-hoppiness is also present as well as some lemony citrus. The smell of alcohol is also heavy, no doubt due to the hefty ABV.

The beer’s taste is somehow even better than its nose. A lemon tang brings up the front, smoothly blending into a sweet vanilla, banana and clove middle with a touch of nutmeg. The beer finishes up with a lingering hop taste, balancing the sweet start nicely. The mouthfeel is absolutely superb. Bright and effervescent and surprisingly creamy it slides down the throat like a velvet glove. You’ll have to excuse me for waxing poetic, but I feel that cheesiness can give way to accurate description in this case.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. If not for the high ABV, I could drink this all night.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Really nice golden/amber color that's slightly cloudy. Good 1 in white head with good retention.

Smell is a little sweet, floral, a bit fruity, a lot of badass, with some spice, overall very complex

Taste is near perfect, a combination of sweetness, some floral flavours, some spice, and a bit of a yeast flavor that all blend extremely well together. Mouthfeel is really nice, very smooth despite the 9abv which is detectable if you look for it.

Drinkability? Please this stuff is so awesome i want to take it to class with me. Give me a case of it and it'll be gone in 2 days.

This is one of the best tripels out there, I'll dropkick anyone who disagrees with me.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

750 ml bottle from the LCBO for $5.75

pours hazy golden with a pure everlasting white head.

aromas of ripe citrus fruit, hops, and unibroue yeast.

the flavour progress in the following nature: light pale malts progress into a fruity body before the hops and yeast come in to totally complicate things to the point of stupidly good complex belgian inspired quebec made greatness.

in a word stunning.

i buy this ruglarily and have tried it both fresh and aged, bottled and on tap and you simply cant go wrong.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

We shared a 750ml bottle into a maredsous chalice and a large wine goblet. Pours a delightful golden color with a quite vigorous amount of foam - very nice. The aroma, even upon warming up, was not particularly strong - some coriander and citrus but not a lot past that. The taste was also a bit of a letdown - it was very smooth but we were hoping for more belgian ester and yeast flavors.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: poured a hazy golden yellow, with a think white head atop of the beer, needless to say the lacing for the beer was quite prominent

Smell: like a bunch of oranges, honey, and flowers had a child and that child was a drinkable beer

Taste: a bit bitter, amazing overall, I'm normally a stout guy and even I thought this was a great beer.

Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, very crisp! I was drinking it with pizza, and I have to say that really it was a great companion

Drinkability: A bit pricey for beer overall, but kind of cheap compared to most tripels, I would recommend for light food (pizza, salads, chicken dishes)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into 16 ounce mug. With a careful pour, got a big head that occupied the remaining 4 oz worth of volume.

Appearance - light amber color with a very white head.

Smell - skipping for now

Taste - outstanding. sweet taste. Not bitter. Just delicious. This is going to become one of my favorites. I don't taste any of the 9% ABV.

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful tasting beer. Golden and cloudy with thick creamy foam. Good combination of malt and spice taste with a non-bitter,curt finish. Overall just a fantastic beer. Reminds me of Hennepin.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue