La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 10,040 |  Reviews: 2,974
3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4.0
Poured three fingers of tight, foamy, white head, which reduced steadily. The colour is a very deep gold, slightly hazy, with a few champagne like bubbles rising in the middle. Possibly the prettiest beer I have ever seen.

Smell - 4.5
Not overly powerful, but still wonderful. The alcohol is clearly there, amongst the sweet smells of malt, honey, stone fruit, cloves and spices. Not unlike a strong hefe weissbier in aroma, and not far from scoring a perfect 5 in this category.

Taste - 4.5
Again, the alcohol is immediately making a presence, and makes up a little more of the taste than I would like. The taste is nowhere near as sweet as the smell, which is a bit of a disappointment. The alcohol is immediately warming, which is nice. There is biscuity malt sweetness and a whisper of fruitiness (pear). The finish is dry and moderately bitter, and the aftertaste is pleasant.

Mouthfeel - 4.5
Really quite champagne-like, it feels light in the mouth, with a relatively high level of carbonation. Smooth.

Drinkability - 4.5
This definitely gets easier to drink as it warms. There are much more drinkable Belgian strong pale ales out there in my opinion, as this one's dryness and bitterness reduce the appeal.

OVERALL - 4.5
This is undoubtedly an excellent beer, although it is not quite to my taste. The warming sensation from drinking it is wonderful, so for that, I may one day try it again. Personally, I find other offerings from Unibroue to be a bit easier drinking, although perhaps not as complex. Price is very high, but the quality is excellent, so no quarrels about the value.

Edit: upon second sampling, I bumped the score up from 4.2 to 4.35. First time round I most definitely drank the beer too cold.

Re-edit: My opinion of this beer just keeps improving. I disagree with a lot of what I have originally written about it.

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

This is another one of my favorite beers. It is also a staple around my house.

Poured into a tulip it has a beautiful golden yellow color with a white head and beautiful lacing. This is a good lookin beer.

Smells of cloves and bubblegum/banana. Everything you would expect in a tripel style.

Taste is of pepper and spice notes. Not a lot of this but it's there. Very smooth and tasty. Little bit of clove and spice/noble hops.

Mouthfeel is great with a high carb that is perfect for the style.

Overall I LOVE this beer. I am so glad this is so widely avaliable and I can even get it at my local grocery store. I have had this many times and plan on having it many more.

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Light as a dream; as if life were serene. Tender Belgian yeasts like s first kiss (as if you'd ever forget). Light and airy, Lindbergh-esqe almost scary. So nice, so real, so very dry and ideal.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

4.05/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Looks great. Nice bright vibrant golden color. Big pillowy frothy white head.

Smells zippy and citrusy. With a rich gaminess of mushrooms and maybe even fresh eggs. Some coriander is definitely present.

The smell deceives the taste as the spice and gaminess yields to more of a bread yeast flavor. Earthy richness rounds out the yeast and the finish is surprisingly salty. Frankly the bread yeast is a bit too bold.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Quite viscous and a big filling beer. Saltiness again adds to dryness.

This is a nice example of a triple considering it is actually Canadian. I'm curious where the yeast came from. Overall it might have been a tad too yeasty which took away from some of the drinkability.

Edit: First review was December 13, 2014; I bought another and cellared it for nearly 2 years. The viscous texture appears to have now thinned out which was my biggest drawback before. I now detect more tart fruit on the finish as well with pear and apricot and a buttery oak finish that contrasts with a lively prickly tart spicy finish. If you have the patience, I recommend cellaring a bottle, I really like the results. I may just give it another try.

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

I've had this beer many times on tap even and for some reason I've never reviewed the beer. But today I have one I bought in a sampler pack of 750's at Costco over a year ago. I know others from the pack have done well over time so I'm interested to see how this one did.

Drinking this in a La Fin Du Monde snifter glass.

A- Good head at front, but it faded quickly. Golden in color, very clear, looks clean and crisp.

S- Wonderful grain smell, honey, golden raisins, pineapple, a citrus note of something very light in here as well.

T- This isn't bad after a year, very mellow. The carbination is a bit much for my liking, especially with the very mellow flavors. The citrus that I smelled comes though in the taste, not hop citrus but something a bit more subtle. Bready with a light sweet honey added. The flavors are very delicate, almost too delicate for the carbination. I don't know how well this would last in terms of longer then a year and a half.

M- The carbination is a bit much for this beer at this point in time. That aside the beer is light bodied for sure.

D- Easy to drink, and would be super amazing on a hot day with some light cheeses or fruits.

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%

Fairly light straw color and pretty clear as well..slight haze.

Big white head that went away fairly quickly.
Smells of sweet candy, almost like bubble gum or cotton candy?
Taste is awesome. Big mouthfeel immediately noticed .Sweet, smooth, highly carbonated. Feel the alcohol burn if held on the tongue.
Bubble gum comes to mind again. Malty with no real noticeable hops.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Orange-hay pour, very hazy, nice small, creamy head. Initial fruity aromas, tropical fruit, pineapples, pretty yeasty. Really nice, creamy on the palate, a lot of fruits, with a soft, gentle washing effect that I can't describe. Some sweet banana bread plays with the mangoes, peaches, and spices. Very nice, and one of the best, most accessible tripels out there.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue