Love Belgian Beer?

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,929 | Ratings: 9,862
3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A - nice colour

S - banana, yeasty with a hint of sweetness

T - clean crisp with no aftertaste.

M - no bite, drinks nice

Overall, a nice fruity drinkable beer. It goes nicely with spice wings and grilled seafood. Also, if you reduce it over low heat in a sauce pan, it mixes well with mix berries.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yellow-orange pour, slightly hazy, with a thin dissipating white head. Fruity aroma, with mandarin orange, peach, and Belgian yeast. Flavour is sweet and almost syrupy, with a slightly bitter edge, reminiscent of orange marmalade or peach syrup. Bready notes and lots of Belgian yeast in the flavour too, classic Unibroue taste. A bit of caramel and apple as it warms. Dry, sweet, bready finish. A great Tripel.

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

A beautiful beer, and a surprise at that. Drank it cold (perhaps a little too cold) at Lumiere in Vancouver from a red-wine glass.

Head was a little on the thin side, but it smelled wonderful: nutty and complex. Color was hard to gauge (it was a candle-lit type restaurant), but pleasantly "burnt amber."

Flavor was on par with many Belgian tripels (it brought to mind Grimbergen). First taste was excellent, and the flavor remains throughought. Easy to drink with very little alcohol taste, and it was consistent from the first sip to the last.

I am on a hunt for this beer in my hometown. Not to be missed, and cheaper than a true Belgian, for everyday drinking.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

"I can't believe it's not Belgian"... that was my first thought upon tasting this gem from Quebec for the first time. Wow, what a beer. Beautiful pouring brew, with rich golden translucent color and massive, thick, Duvel-style head. Smell also first-rate: various spices and fruits accompany a malty base. Taste is just about perfect. I don't feel that I've tried enough beers yet to be able to give one a 5, but this is the closest I've come. Lots of banana flavor - almost sweet, but not sickly sweet...I don't generally care much for sweet beer, but this one just works somehow. Very rich, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, an absolutely outstanding beer. Compared to a couple of the "real" Belgians I have tried, I would rank it slightly higher than La Chouffe and slightly below Duvel.

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

My first trippel and purchased due to rave reviews from friends. Initial pour had lots of white head, yellow-irange in color. Aroma of citrus at first, but with another smell I was able to pick out some bananas. Active palate, with plenty of carbonation. Had a yeasty, citrusy taste. Finish was bitter and alcoholic. At first I wasn’t that big a fan, but as I sipped more, I enjoyed it and detected some peppery taste. I guess I'm not much of a coriander guy. I particularly enjoyed the last of the 750 ml bottle. A good beer and I’m glad I tried it.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy tea-orange. Very minimal head that quickly goes away.

S: Lots of sweet aromas here...bananas, pineapple, some citrus. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming.

T: Classic for the style - an initial spicy-sweet taste gives way to a slight bite of hops in the finish. The 9% alcohol is well masked. Delicious.

M: Nearly perfect..well carbonated...neither too watery, nor too heavy.

D: Insanely good...this is a beer that you could easily drink too much of, and then suddenly find yourself down for the count. If it were possible to drink this one all night, I would.

One of my all time favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a wine glass

Pours a hazy golden, almost orange, color. Has a creamy white head with little lacing.

The aroma is smells a bit like bannanas, strawberries, and bread. You can smell the alcohol just slightly.

The mouthfeel is extremely light and higly carbonated. The alcohol level is definitely a factor here adding to a very bitey feel.

Initial taste is just slightly sweet which quickly changes to a sour taste that hits the back and sides of the tongue. The sour, acidic flavors from the yeast are the dominant flavors here.

Drinkability is good. A little too sour for my taste.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

A quality beer for sure. I had read the hype and since i'm all about Tripels now, I had to try it. Allagash's Tripel is my new favorite beer, but I wanted to see how this one stacks up. I wasn't disapointed...much. The beer looked terrific, a solid golden haze with a nice tall head and tons of lacing. Promising! Well, that faded as I smelled the beer and I must say, I couldn't stand they way this one smelled. Something was strange. It was a spicy Tripel smell, but a bit too unpleasant for me. Maybe too strong? I dunno what the problem was. The taste was outstanding, second only to Allagash's. A bit more apple in the taste in this one. I really enjoyed it and it was super drinkable. With the exception of the smell, this beer was about perfect. But because I didn't care for the smell, I gotta put his one as the 2nd best Tripel out there. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into tulip glass

Appearance - Bright yellow/orange, a bit hazy and with large thick white head. Lots of nice lacing.

Smell - Lots of citrus, some apples, bananas and spice.

Taste - Lots of sweetness, quite citrusy, with orange and lemon coming through quite strongly. "Belgian" yeast is quite present as well. The aftermouth is again quite sweet.

Mouthfeel - Quite creamy with strong carbonation.

Overall - Not a bad triple, but overall much too sweet for my taste. I don't think I could have two in a row.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

341ml bottle into 32oz mug

a: dark yellow, 1/2 inch head from side pour. Lots of carbonation bubbles throughout drinking

s: very yeasty, some banna, "spices"

t: fruity (bananas mostly) , yeasty, warm alcohol, some malty sweetness. The yeast and alcohol become more noticeable as the beer warms

m: well carbonated, light to medium bodied. Seems to feel thicker as it warms

o: Although a little yeastier than I personally prefer, but was my first Tripel foray and I was impressed. This took me around 1 hour to finish one bottle, and should be respected by drinking slowly. This is definately not my style of beer, but I respect the complexity of this brew enough to weed through my own personal bias and rate it on my interpretation of the style.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Was ready for something new and different and well, I found it. Crazy awesome beer from the north. Very complex beer so you can pick up different things with different aged bottles meaning a bottle that is two weeks old will taste very different from a 4 month old bottle and I believe I have had both and both to my surprise were good! If you want to introduce a friend to something different then let them try this heavily yeast driven beverage and see what they have to say. Most will really enjoy it!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wonderfully fresh and easy to drink

Look - fantastic white head that sticks around, golden and rich cloudy color

Smell - Flowery, citrus, grapefruity, very refreshing

Taste - reminds me of a pinot grigio, grapefruity, crisp flavor that goes down well

Feel - An unpretentious bite from the carbonation gives way to a smooth cool aftertaste.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle in tulip glass

A - Cloudy, golden yellow. Thick creamy head with good retention.

S - Lovely yeast, citrus and spice.

T - Very well balanced with sweets, some fruit, alcohol. Nicely complex at the same time.

M - Smooth, warming alcohol.

D - Excellent! Ranks up there with some of the best Belgiums.

Drink by date is 04-03-11

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with a fluffy white 1.5 finger head, which settled to a thin layer after a few sips. Leaves a smattering of lace down my Chimay goblet's interior. An amalgam of various fruits and the slightest hint of booze in the nose. Delightful pear, apple and banana notes come to the fore with the first sip, along with a bready/yeasty goodness. Taste finishes with a sparing tinge of herb. Medium viscosity gives this beer a very interesting feel...has a light creaminess to it that perfectly matches its other characteristics. 9% you say? I wouldn't believe you if I wasn't finishing up the bottle. Alcohol is wonderfully (and dangerously) masked. I don't know that I could drink a whole lot of this stuff because it's not exactly light, but it's a great pleasure to drink just one.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Those Canucks sure do know how to brew some tasty beer. Carbonation is a little overkill at first but let this bad boy warm up a little bit and it will open into a perfect balance of fruit, spice, and everything nice. Dry, crisp, smooth and refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Golden and cloudy. Soapy head, about 1"

S- Citrusy lemon with hints of pepper. Almost a lemon pepper

T- Strong tripel taste with buttery start. Citrus in the middle. After tast, pepper at back of tongue.

MF- Medium to heavy carbonation. Like a light fizzy champagne

O- Great tripel. So easy to drink. But, be careful!

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

I didn't know what to expect from this brewery for this Belgian but I must say I was impressed.

A- Nice golden color that almost glows while sayin'don't be shy, drink me.' The head falls quickly but shows it's mark.

S- Awesome clove smell that previews the spicy goodness that's about to hit your pallet. It has that faint 'banana' smell which I notice in Belgian styles like this.

T- Wow... I'm in love. This beer starts with a wonderful rush of goodnessnin the mouth followed by enough bite to satisfy anyone looking for a nice buzz worthy drinking session.

O- This has become a favorite of mine now that I know my local store sells it for $2 less than Delirium Tremens. I'll be reaching for this one on a weekly basis!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From a 4-pack of Unibroue 750ml's via Costco.

Great appearance, golden amber with lots of carbonation. Great head and foam retention, settling down to a thin lacing after the second sip. Classic triple aroma, malty, a bit sour, and lots of floral, with a hint of banana. Gentle malt flavor to start, alcohol very well hidden by carbonation and balance of flavor, hops present, but also well balanced. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Lots of sugary aftertaste. Very rich in flavor, but very drinkable.

I should have found someone to share this very large bottle with. I'm definitely looking forward to the other 3 bottles.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle.

A: Pours a burnished yellow. A two finger head appears and quickly recedes to a quarter inch cap.

S: Spicy and alcoholic. A bit of orange citrus. A deep inhale brings out some yeasty undertones.

T: Sweet with some frutiness. I taste mainly pear. I get some clove and other herbal notes I can't quite place.

M: It is crisp and dry up front. The body is feels light because of the high carbonation. I think the finish is a bit sticky, more so than I am used to.

D: I like this beer. It is easy to drink, but not as much as other tripels I have encountered. It goes down easy, but the alcohol let its presence be known.

Notes: I am torn with this beer. I really enjoy it, but I prefer other tripels a bit more. While it is a delicious beer that I will continue to keep, it will find its way only occasionally to my glass.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

(reviewed from notes on Halloween)
Appearance: 750mL bottle into a tulip. Pours a hazed, solid golden yellow with orange highlights. 1 inch head slowly fizzes to a ring around the glass. not too much in terms of lace.

Smell: Really unique and interesting aroma: bubblegum, delicate noble hop floral bouquet, bittersweet orange, lime, lemon, and peppery spiciness.

Taste: Nose transfers directly to the taste: very nice subtle hop bitterness with mellow orange and lime tastes woven in, sprinkled with pepper and bubblegum yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied - creamy and smooth due to a very lifting but not over the top amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I really don't know how these Belgian style ales hide their alcohol so well. Its almost unbelievable that this is 9% abv, because it drinks like 4% or 5%. This beer is balanced yet flavourful, and goes down smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A- a very pale cloudy straw, white head (thin)

S- First, strong notes of citrus, spicey-ness follows

T- fruit esters, spice, yeast

M- decent carbonation for style

D- very good

Poured from 750ml bottle into a 4 oz. taster. The thin and quickly dissipating head may be connected to traces of soap on glass... not ideal Had two beers in a row pour thinly into it.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured chilled into a glass that sort of resembles a chalice. (Where the hell do you find a chalice anyway?)
My first Tripel so I am very excited.

Appearance: Large fluffy head springs up from initial pour, disappears quickly. A very carbonated looking beer, like champagne with all the bubbles.

Smell: A smorgasboard of fruit flavors, massive esters, a very strong aroma.

Taste: Small hop flavor up front, very fruity - apples, pears. Light but complex.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, nice and airy.

Overall: Certainly an interesting beer/style. Not my favorite style, but still very good. Great looking bottle btw.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a 750-milliliter bottle into a chalice. Has a nice brozenish/yellow colour to it. Has a very nice nose. Hints of cloves/spice and a hint of fruitiness. Fairly smooth, crisp taste but has a slight bitternes to it. Over all great beer, wonderfull winter warmer.(especially on a cold snowy evening)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue