La Fin Du Monde | Unibroue

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada
unibroue.com

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

#448

Ratings: 10,211 |  Reviews: 3,020

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Funny thing about this beer is the more I drank it, the less I liked it. Left a bitter aftertaste. I'll stick to Maudite.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.06/5  rDev -29.2%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

4.17/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip, it formed a good head over the orange hued brew.

The aroma is a great mix of spices and fruit.

The taste is very dry, again a mix of spices and fruits. The flavors are well blended, such that it's hard to pick out specifics. The alcohol is a present, but welcome, giving the beer body and strength, without becoming too noticeable.

Overall, this is a good Tripel, but very dry. I would have liked a bit more sweetness to it. There's a very nice Belgian complexity to the beer, such that I rarely find in beers made outside of Belgium.

a - pours a murky golden-amber; head is three fingers of luscious white foam with streaky lacing

s - intense aroma of apples, citrus and coriander

t - a complex hoppy and malty delight

m - wonderfully smooth, with a champaign-like effervescence

d - an absolutely unmatched Tripel,this is truly "the end of the earth"

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into an Allagash tulip from a 750ml caged and corked bottle.

Pour: Very clear straw coloring with foamy head that quickly disappears.

Aroma: Apple, alcohol, peppercorn, clove, Belgian yeast funk, and twizzler. The aroma also has a strong alcohol hint, and is a bit medicinal.

Taste: Sweet fruit flavors up front, some pear or nectarine with apples and honey. Very estery. If you really search for it, there is a bit of hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor, and probably helps with the dry finish. Pepper, cloves, funk, and a bit of banana help to round out the palate. very complex, a delicious beer.

Overall: This really is a perfect beer. Endless complexity, very delicious. I could keep drinking bottles of this, and continually find new flavors without growing tired of it.

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

Friends have been talking about this beer for a while, thus I was excited to try it.

A- Golden yellow, with a beautiful white head that lingered fourfinger for a while.

S- Yeast, pepper, and maybe clove. Others like this smell. Me not really.

T-Fruit and spices. Can taste the alchohol.

M- High Carbonation and thin to medium taste.

D- Would I drink it again? Yeah. But not any time soon. I could see how lovers of this style would go crazy for this well made beer.

3.7/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz. bottle dated October 2004. La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/gold color with a large 3 finger head. It smells bread like, citrusy and of nuts. Not a bad smell at all. However, the taste i where the beer went down hill. It tasted very much like Duvel, but a cheap, less appealing Duvel. It tasted like nuts, and I kept getting the taste of a cork.. strange. It's kind of bitter, but not too bad. You can definitely taste the citrus as well, but I can't get the cork out of my mind. Not very pleasing, not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is fine and smooth. Drinkable? Eh yeah, for a while. It took me a while to finish the whole glass, but it went down. My bottle was obviously pretty old, so I'd like to try a fresh one and see how my opinion differs.

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Poured golden yellow in colour, quite opaque. Nice thick creamy head that dissipated fairly quickly to a small patch in the middle of the glass with little lacing around.

S- Very light and fruity in smell. Quite yeasty in smell with a nice bit of malts as well. The smell also has the distinct bottle fermentation smell; which in this case smells a bit sour.

T- Amazingly light and fruity in taste, like guava and pineapple. The yeasty flavours also come out quite strong, combined with the malts quite nicely. The aftertaste is quite a bit bitter, with a small hint of sourness.

D- A Very nice beer to drink, I'll have to make sure I keep a few in me "cellar" for when I want one, the go out at the lcbo here quite often and now I can see why

a. hazy golden. head laces and drops fairly quickly for me.

s. enjoying the aroma of light fruits and earthy spices.

t. bright, peppery with fruity sweet background. hops fill in the flavor spaces well, tie things together for me.

m. silky, dry finish, carbonation and the alcohol is refreshing, but not incredibly appealing.

d. i like the complexity and diversity of flavors, but the focuses themselves are a bit too sharp for me. hard to put my finger on, but its enjoyable... all in all a fine experience.

3.49/5  rDev -19.2%

12.oz bottle from a 4 bottle "taster pack" poured into a 16oz. glass.

A- Pours a nice cloudy gold with a fluffy 2 finger head that sticks around. Appearance is typical for the style.

S- The smell is faint and hard to pick up on. Might have served this one too cold. From what I can get, it's bananas, cloves, and grassy hay.

T- The taste is very good actually. Complex and just the right amount of fruit and spice. Bananas and black pepper, with some cloviness and hints of muscat grapes. Fairly complex.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Matches the style and the abv and makes this easy to sip.

O- This is my first Unibroue beer and one of the better tripels I have gotten to try. They aren't really my style and I like this anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to trying the others from the taster pack.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue