Éphémère (Apple)

Spring
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Éphémère (Apple)Éphémère (Apple)
Notes: As its name suggests, Éphémère is an ephemeral ale that comes and goes with the seasons. It was developed as a series to feature a seasonal fruit in a refreshing, lightly spiced white ale. The label depicts a fairy, an ephemeral spirit associated with fruits picked at the peak of ripeness during each harvest season. She first appeared in the spring of 2001 and has since been celebrated on a variety of seasonal fruit ales such as apple (brewed all year long), cranberry, blackcurrant, peach, raspberry and blueberry.

The most beloved and well known of the Éphémère beer series. Its amazing popularity across North America has made it a year-round favourite instead of only a seasonal brew.
Reviews: 1,040 | Ratings: 2,135
Reviews by stickynotes:
3.54/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip.

Pours a hazy straw. A white 1/4" head sticks around, no lacing. Green apple aroma immediately noticeable upon opening bottle, spicy yeastiness, some bread. Green apple forefront in the flavor, sometimes I get flavors not unlike a green apple jolly rancher. Some spicy phenols, light malt sweetness. Doesn't seem full flavored to me, sometimes I get a watery taste. Mouthfeel is medium, plenty of carbonation. Overall I have enjoyed this beer because it is different and decently executed. The green apple flavor is uncanny and fun.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

This is from a 750ml bottle from 06

Pours a bright golden yellow with a half inch thick white head that was gone in seconds.

First thing to enter my nose, I immediately thought this smells like a crisp sweet, slightly tart Golden Delicious/Granny Smith apple that I've just taken a bite of. Then after taking several long deep sniffs, I was thinking apple pie with some ice cream.

Tasted like a sweet sparkling cider. I couldn't believe how much the apple really stands out. After a couple sips, my exhale felt sweet like cotton candy.

The mouth feel was clean, crisp, and thin. This was a very enjoyable drink. The word beer doesn't really come to mind, but this was a light refreshing beverage that I will definitely try again sometime.

cheers

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw color. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. Its retention is quite decent, and the texture is very frothy. Lacing does appear on the glass, albeit inconsistently. (3)

Smell: Apple hits the nose first, with the rest of the beer appearing in tow. Coriander seems to be the second most powerful note. I also get plenty of candied sugar, wheat, and the Unibroue house character. Interesting, that's for sure - also, it does work. (3.5)

Taste: The flavor, though, is witbier first, apple beer second. A combination of coriander and wheat open it up. The apple notes aren't ephemeral by any means - they're subtle, yet last the length of the flavor profile. It does, however, appear more vividly on the back end; also, I pick up a hint of orange peel and white bread. On its own, it's a good witbier - and yet, the apple notes really add a nice twist to this without making it drink like a glorified cider. (3.75)

Mouthfeel: Very dry and well carbonated. For the record, this is what I want from both a good hard cider and a witbier, so no complaints here. Add in its feather light (but not insubstantial) body, and this is pretty effortless to drink. (4)

Overall: Anybody remember Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat? That cider/witbier combination that did neither aspect well? This is just like that, only good. It does an impressive job of capturing the best of both worlds. Not only do I have a rock-solid witbier that I would gladly drink again, I also have something to lure in cider drinkers with. (3.75)

3.67/5: More solid work from Unibroue

2.46/5  rDev -32.4%

Looks like a wit, smells like fake apple, and too much corriander. Tastes like someone dropped a green apple jolly rancher into a mediocre wit and tried to hide the whole mess behind a healthy dose of corriander.

2.77/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy golden yellow with zero head. I like the colour, but after that there's nothing special looking about this beer.

Aroma is interesting. Lots of apple and hints of other fruit like peach. Noticeable yeast and a big hit of alcohol.

Lots of apple taste, too. But quite bitter on the tongue, and overall, too chemical in nature for my taste. I've enjoyed many Unibroue beers, but I'm afraid this is not among them.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

I was wishing for warm weather so decided to try this out. Best before date 8/08. Served cool in a pint glass.
Apperance was pale yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. This started off with a huge white head that required a second pour to fit the entire bottle in my glass. A small amount of white lacing remained. Lots of yeast floaties throughout the beer like I would expect from a witbier.
Not a strong-smelling beer. There was some apple fruitiness as well as a faint hint of yeast similar to other Unibroue beers.
Apple flavor dominates, like apple juice. There is a little flavor of wheat and yeast. A hint of spices was detected, but this was very faint. Mouthfeel was fairly light and effervescent.
I guess this could be considered fairly drinkable, but I’m not sure I want to drink more. It is very sweet from the apple flavor but there is not much else going on in this beer. This could be a good warm weather treat. I love many of the other Unibroue beers, but this is not one I am likely to visit again any time soon.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a thick, fluffy white head with good retention.

The scent is of sweet apples, some bready malt, and spices.

The taste is of sweet apple, citrus, bready malt, notes of yeast, and spice.

Light body, soft and crisp, moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer, the apple was a little consuming but it was still a nice easy drinker.

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First of all, if you've read my other reviews, then you'll know that I always caution the reader that I do NOT typically like fruit beers, Belgian or American. Second, this review is based on my draft sampling, but I have also sampled this from the bottle, with very similar results. Thirdly, I scratched my head reading some of the reviews, some of which claimed "I couldn't stand the super-apple flavor.."; etc, etc, etc. For crying out loud, IT HAS A PICTURE OF A LARGE GRANNY SMITH ON THE BOTTLE...IF YOU DON'T LIKE APPLE, THEN DUH. My apologies for this little bit of venting, as I LOVE this website (bravo to the Brothers Alstrom), and am getting a little tired of people not rating beers against others in their respective style category, and hence detracting from the effectiveness of this e-forum. E.g. a fruit beer is NOT supposed to be hoppy, so if that's your beef, stick to ipa's. Keep this site legit!!

Now that that's out of my system, let's get serious. At the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, this poured a cloudy yellow/orange into a Chimay chalice with two fingers of bright white head. The head collapsed rather quickly though, and laced a little on the spotty side. The smell...gee, let me think...apple??? YES...green apple, but not limited to green apple; caramel, passion fruit, oakiness, and some smokiness also come to the fore. This aromatic mix was a little surprising, so I couldn't wait to sip it. In tasting, the apple and passion fruit hits you first, and then dissolves to a surprising mid-palate vanilla/oak/tartness, and then finishes on a sweet/smoky note. Very surprisingly complex for a style of beer which is typically one-dimensional. The feel was very carbonated/spritzy, but fairly thin. In summary, I couldn't help but think that next summer I will stock my fridge with plenty of this, for the long days of working in the yard. Also a great beer to appeal to both sexes if you're having a party or dinner guests.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

2.37/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance – Light green-yellow in color with a big head that went down cleanly. The head was more like something you’d see with champagne instead of beer. It was very bubbly and went down quickly.

Smell – There’s a faint yeast fragrance in there, but it’s Granny Smith that runs this show.

Taste – The green apple comes out big in the taste (as advertised), but it’s not like drinking apple cider. There’s also a little peach in there as well. My wife likes a champagne spritzer I make with dry champagne, a half shot of apple schnapps, a short half shot of brandy, and a big pinch of sugar. Once I forgot the sugar, and it tasted similar to this.

Mouthfeel – I thought from the champagne-like head that this would be bubbly and heavily carbonated, but in fact it was kind of flat and dry. It’s definitely light-bodied, though.

Drinkability – Not my cup of tea. I’ve had a few fruit-flavored ales that I’ve liked, but this one didn’t make the grade. Sorry.

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Poured with a massive , white , foamy head. The color was a clear , paler light gold.

Smell: lots of green apple , coriander spice , bit of sour green apple jolly rancher aroma.

Taste: green apples , apple juice , a bit of malt sweetness , light coriander , and a bit of a wheat like tartness. Unfortunatly the nose was much more interesting.

Mouthfeel: light bodied , fairly dry finish.

Drinkability: quite a drinkable brew , high on the list of veggie beer iv'e tried for it natural , (if a bit light) flavor. Smells more complex than it tastes though.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

I poured from a 12 ounce glass into my SA perfect pint glass. A pale, hazy yellow in color with a big fizzy white head, no lace. The smell and the flavor of this is all about tart apples. To be honest that is all I smell and it is the dominant flavor, along with some spice. The finish is sweet and lingering. The beer is light and fizzy. This was a nice change of pace for me even though I do not see myself buying it again. If I want apples I will reach for cider, not beer.

4.14/5  rDev +13.7%

The color is golden brown, and the beer is very cloudy. There is little head that quickly dissipates. Notes of nice sour apple can be detected when sniffed. Sweet notes up front, then a nice green apple flavor, followed by a very sour note. Highly carbonated. A very good fruit beer, if that is your think. Although the apple flavor novelty could wear off quickly, this is a drinkable brew.

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

This one comes out with some nice, witbeer like visuals. Rather large head, which dissapears fairly quickly. On the scent, the maltiness surprisingly overpowers the apple sweetness, which was completely unexpected.

The taste is not quite as strong as I would have liked. Much more witbeer than apple. Somewhat dissapointing. The mouthfeel's fairly pleasent, though a bit lighter and more watery than I wanted from it. Not a bad beer, really, but I wanted a little more from it.

4.44/5  rDev +22%

When i first opened and poured this beer the room was filled with a blast of fresh green apple smell. It poured a cloudy gold with a thick white head. The flavor was sweet, slightly tart, full of apple flavor and of spices like cloves and cinnamon. There was a mild alcohol bite at the end. It was very smooth and not in the slightest bit bitter. I found it very good, THe apple wasnt to overpoweringly sweet or tart, and the flavors were all well ballanced, I enjoyed this one very much.

2.94/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Cloudy dirty straw color with 2 fingers of white head and no lacing. Lots of floats

S - Sweet and sour apple candy with some Belgian yeast and spice. Very pleasant

T - Kind of like a apple jolly rancher diluted into water. Extremely crisp

M - Medium body high carbonation a little harsh

D - Not bad but I was expecting it to be sweeter which would have helped a ton. Also there is way to much carbonation to be enjoyable

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%

Light and fruity ale, nothing remarkable but a fair refresher.

Presentation: 750ml brown corked bottle. Front label offers an tacky illustration of female fairy on a swing of greenery holding barley surrounded by golden fonts with the name of the brew. Front shows main ingredients and bottle refermentation. Back label alongside perfunctory legal notes offers a short description of the brew, intent, recommended glassware. Notes best before date (09-16-10) Alc. by Vol. (5.5%) Served on a tulip glass.

A - Poor retention, no lacing, and a minimal surface memory.

S - Apple with a touch of spice, a bit yeasty and rather fresh.

T - Fruity splash in the mouth, almost all apple pivoting around a Granny Smith, with a faint spicy touch, and a bit sour. There is a citrus touch... Might be the Curacao, although the curacao is the liquor, right? So do they mean that they added laraha fruit?

M - Light body with generous carbonation. Crisp and somewhat dry finish.

D - Works very well in its mixture of lightness and freshness, nothing profound but rather quaffable.

Notes: Nice light offering from Unibroue. Nothing to rave about but an enticing social quaffer.

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle poured into a chalice

Pours a hazy golden yellow with nice carbonation . Dense white two finger cap settles to a sudsy white layer of bubbles.

Aroma of apples and cider.

Taste of apples in a yeasty beer.

Suds up but quickly settles down. Hint of apple aftertaste

Interesting and glad I tried it.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue