Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Éphémère (Apple) | Unibroue

Availability: Spring

Added by kbub6f on 10-21-2002

15%

Ratings: 2,087 |  Reviews: 1,018

This is officailly the worst beer ever. I have never had to pour anything down the drain until right now. I drank half the glass to see if things might get better, but no. I cannot beleive Unibroue would put their name on something this bad. The appearance probably deserves a 3, but everything else was so awfull I had to drop it to a 1. The nose is of artificial apple candy. The taste is a horrible blend of malts and artificial flavoring. Body is syrupy and over carbonated. Stay away from this stuff.

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

1.62/5  rDev -55%

I normally try on reviews but why bother here.

A well carbonated beer that doesn't leave lacing. It's a dark cloudy golden color (you really can't see through even a thin glass.

The smell is of a fart with apples in it. Yeah that's a mix of yeast and spices but mostly it just smells awful.

The taste is granny smith apples, spices, and perhaps some ginger and really I'm at a loss. It's awful.

If it weren't an awful beer it would be extremely drinkable. It however is awful!

1.71/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a very cloudy pale yellow green color with a yellow/green foamy head. Smell is dominated by apple. The taste is just bad.
I drank a couple of sips and poured the rest down the drain. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but this was just nasty.

1.73/5  rDev -51.9%

12oz twist off (foil cap) poured into Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a straw and hazy color with a thin and whispy head. Slowly dissipates to to the color of murky pond water. HhHhhhhmmm... not good so far.

Smell: As soon as it hits the glass you get the smell. Unfortunately its not a pleasant smell. Sweetish bubblegum with synthetic apple candy thrown into the mix. Smells rather artificial. Definitely not good so far.

Took only one sip to judge this beer - thats all I needed. Bad (artificial) apple juice mixed horribly with some pale malts. Both clash to produce overly sweet beer that is not reminiscent of fresh apples. there are so many ciders that are far superior to this garbage. Drain poured the rest.

Mouthfeel is very thin and sprtizy carbonation quickly fades to flat pond water spiked with some artificial apple juice.

HUGE letdown from Unibroue since everything else is so good. Real bummer.

If you are reading this review and want to try it please take the 3 other beers that I have.

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

750mL chilled bottle poured into a glass. Tasted immediately -- no good, so I let it warm up. Still no good. Er??

This was pretty disappointing and I drank it mainly because I'd spent something like $8 on it. I'm clearly unenthusiastic, so please pardon my sparse review.

A: The carbonation was very active. Clear wheat-like golden color.

S: Noticeable smell of sour green apples, coriander. I don't get the Jolly Rancher comparison, but I agree it's a strong smell.

T: Tasted like an apple wheat beer. Sour green apple, a little yeast, and wheat and coriander near the finish. I'm not sure what style this is exactly (an apple-ish take on a witbier?), but it's fairly mild and simplistic-tasting. The carbonation also makes it feel very foamy and watery.

M: Thin body, lots of carbonation that made it difficult to finish. I'm talking ridiculously high carbonation, like they put in 3 tablets of Alka-Seltzer. Spent more time burping than actually sipping.

D: I definitely won't have another.

Really disappointed in such an expensive beer.

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

A - Pale yellow color with a tiny head made up of large carbonation bubbles. Quick dissipation, looks kind of flat.

S - Smell is pretty solid, nice sour apple tart smell which reminds me of candy. The yeast blends in well with the smell, but is definately a subtle second to the aroma of apples.

T - Awful, tastes like bad apple juice that's not sweet enough. I don't mean apple juice that's gone bad, just apple juice that is bad. Maybe this is just a bad bottle, but this is horrible and no one should waste their time with it.

M - It's almost completely flat, and kind of sticky.

D - Can't do it. Just can't drink this horrible brew.

1.96/5  rDev -45.6%

Ok, first off let me say that I love almost any kind of beer. I even like Wild Blue, even though that tastes like grape soda instead of beer. But this... this is not beer. It doesn't even taste like cider. It tastes a little like sparkling white grape juice and apple juice mixed together with even less of a cheap pilsner. I drank it, and can't believe that I did, so I gave it at least a 2 for drinkability. But it tasted awful at first!

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue