Éphémère (Apple) | Unibroue

15%
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,079 |  Reviews: 1,016
3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden color, chunks of floaties are throughout the glass, normally I like floaties but these are rather large chunks, a fizzy white head on top fades wicked fast and no lacing is left on the glass.

Smell is quite fragrant and possibly the best thing about it, first whiff to me is a large apple presence, light spicy yeast kick to it, touches of coriander, even my girlfriend like the aroma.

Taste is definitely apple fruity, at times it seems almost cider like if not for the distinct Belgian style yeast and spice, light and refreshing, the carbonation explodes in the mouth and fizzes away fast but I'd say it's a tad too assertive, can seem thin at times but at least it isn't cloyingly sweet like some fruit beers can be.

3.06/5  rDev -15%

Green Apples!

A: Hazy golden color with plenty of carbonation and a bone white head. medium to mild lacing.

S: No surprises here, slightly apply. However for the first time, this unibroue did not have the same smell as fin du monde and maudite as I have noticed a striking similarity. points here.

T: Cidery. As one would expect with a green apple beer, apples are present, and the granny smith apple itself is quite nice in this. However the balance of what tasted like a wit bier maltyness did not usher the apple effectively to make me inspired.

M: Plenty of carbonation kept this one fizzy, the tartness was also felt on the tongue and in mouth pockets.

O: I wouldn't go back to it, needed to try for this unibroue gamut i'm running at the moment, but doesn't stand toward the top of that list.

2.34/5  rDev -35%

My wife loves this beer so I decided to give it a go.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy golden body with a nice 1 inch head. Darker gold toward the top and lighter toward the bottom. Lacing is minimal.

Smell - So, if I wanted this much apple I would just eat a damn apple. It smells pretty refreshing though. I can already tell this is going to be a summer beer. I obviously smell apples here (maybe green ones) and a bit of grape. Maybe even a little vanilla It reminds me of a glass of pinot grigio. The hops are light and grassy. Can't smell much malt over the pungent apple...

Taste - It starts off a little more bitter than I thought it would. The hops take over before the apple even hits you. Of course the apple is there, but it isn't as strong as it smells. This beer tastes more of a weak cider than an actual beer. Eh...

Mouthfeel - Not very impressed by the watered down texture. I wish it was more creamy. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall - No thanks. It reminds me more of a cider/sparkling white wine than an actual beer. I give it credit for trying to be different, but there is a line to draw.

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

355 ml bottle grabbed in Montreal, no idea why I've never reviewed this beer.

Pours a cloudy light amber/light orange, some golden highlights, medium sized white head forms, and slowly settles down to a medium ring and layer around the glass, some lace spots stick.

Smell is neat, apple juice, lots of sweetness, caramel and honey, apple pie, quite yeasty, bready, some wheat, more sweetness, a little over the top and slightly artificial, sour apple candies, interesting.

Taste is nice, malty and yeasty, some biscuit, caramel and honey, very bready, wheat, banana, lightly phenolic, a touch of yeasty spice, sour candy apples in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Refreshing but not my cup of tea.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Served from the bottle into a nonic glass at the Winking Lizard.

A- Pale hazy yellow/orange color with a finger of pillowy head. Head dissipated rapidly.

S- Tart and sour apple and yeast

T- Mostly juicy sour apple, with yeastiness and bubblegum notes

M- Highly carbonated and light, with a champagne finish

O- A highly drinkable beer with great sour apple flavor. Does not taste much different than a hard cider, but does has some unique yeasty qualities.

1.62/5  rDev -55%

I normally try on reviews but why bother here.

A well carbonated beer that doesn't leave lacing. It's a dark cloudy golden color (you really can't see through even a thin glass.

The smell is of a fart with apples in it. Yeah that's a mix of yeast and spices but mostly it just smells awful.

The taste is granny smith apples, spices, and perhaps some ginger and really I'm at a loss. It's awful.

If it weren't an awful beer it would be extremely drinkable. It however is awful!

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Appears a cloudy light yellow color with a foamy white head that leaves decent lacing.

The aroma is full of fruit, as expected. The scent of apples stands out the most, but I also get some pear scents, and even some lemon. The taste is as expected, full of apple and again, some pear. Not overly impressive, and honestly seems more like a cider, but still decent tasting.

The mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation. Makes it refreshing, but honestly, too light for my preferences. Overall, a good fruit beer, which honestly isn't my cup of tea. Thought I'd give it a try, and wasn't too disappointed.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%

A: Slightly cloudy golden copper body with a small fizzy head.

S: Strong aroma of granny smith apples with hints of wheat like malts and yeast.

T: In my opinion, the flavor is very much like a cider. Sweet-tart apples are definitely the main flavor with hints of some spices, wheat, and malts.

M: Light body & medium carbonation. Refreshing & crisp texture that can be a bit lean.

O: Bought this on a whim since I've never seen it in our grocery store. First bottle I had I hated. The second time I had it, I had it with spicy food and I think it helped. Very much like cider in my opinion so I wouldn't suggest this for those who don't like ciders or apples.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a standard size bottle into a schooner. No obvious best before date.

A - very light and cloudy brew with fluffy head. Moderate lacing.

S - strong green apple notes mixed in with yeast.

T - the apple flavor ends up being the subtle background providing a slight tartness on top of a yeasty foreground. Reminds a little of a Saison, but without the pepperiness.

M - very sharp carbonation.

D - quite drinkable but definitely unique.

I could imagine this one being a nice patio beer with the light drinkability providing a nice thirst-quenching power.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gotta love the bottle - a cute fairy with a nice mountain backdrop.
Pours a hazy banana color and has a thick white head. Quite different from most beers.
Smell is fruity with a ton of grain. Overall very mild though.
The taste is quite smooth and complex. It has light apple notes mixed with alcohol and yeast.

4.29/5  rDev +19.2%

Wow, it's like a belgian beer was mixed with granny smith apples. Opening the bottle the apple aroma is very noticeable but it isn't the artificial aroma in lots of other beverages. It's a cloudy yellow color with some sediment. The taste is mostly apple with some citrus and floral. It's not overly sweet so it doesn't come off as overbearing like many other fruit beers. The finish is fairly clean and has the body of a light belgian. I really like this one. Unibroue seems to consistently produce high-quality brews, so I'll definitely try more from them.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably would not have tried this beer unless someone brought it over to my house. I am glad I got the opportunity as it is a unique and well made beverage. Saying that I probably won't ever buy it...maybe I just didn't connect with it. I like the label...a bit feminine for beer but I suppose there should be beer for ladies too. The head was a fizzy white, the aroma was filled with apples and yeast, the mouthfeel a little fizzy a little silky. The flavor was complex with hints of apple, pear, lemon, concord grape, some bitterness in the back end. The finish lingers for just a few moments of apple flavor. It is a nice summer beer that maybe I would get for the wife...even though her impression was similar to mine: good but not remarkable.

3.57/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: One finger head when poured. Clear copper that reminds me of apple juice, which the bottle stays the ale was brewed with

Smell: Absolutely beautiful! The apples really take over the smell. I tell that the apple smell comes closer to Granny Smiths even though the actual taste is closer to a different one.

Taste: Not Granny Smiths. For me the taste is a disappointment. I was expecting the beer to be more tart and sour closer to a kriek than what I actually got. To me the beer tastes like a slightly watered down apple juice made from Red delicious with Granny Smiths added as an afterthought.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation and goes down silky.

Overall: Subjectively, I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed with this beer. I was expecting something with more tart and sour rather than a watered down apple juice. Objectively, the beer is decent enough to drink the whole way through and the ABV is low enough say that you don't feel like an alcoholic if you drink it during the day. I wouldn't put this on my top list of recommendations but it's good enough to have cool during a hot summer/spring day.

4.32/5  rDev +20%

A - Deep, 80% opaque gold cider. Pours a solid head, but it settles quickly.

S - Granny smith apples, light honey, touch of caramel.

T - Crisp tart apple up front with a juicy Macintosh middle. Nice touch of malt on the backend.

M - Light-medium body with a crisp taste and a fresh apple-like sweetness.

D - Refreshing and not overly sweet.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Pours a hazy straw color with a nice two-finger fluffy white head that persists. Little, if any lacing.

S: Crisp apples (Gala, to my nose, rather than Granny Smith) and sweet malt with perhaps a hint of honey.

T: I had this with a salad, and it wasn't a bad combo. The beer is on the sweet side with a very heavy apple flavor, but much more apple juice rather than cider. The front is sweet, but there are peppery notes around mid-palate, which balances the sweetness to some extent.

M: Light with ample carbonation. Quite refreshing.

D: This goes down very easily. The sweetness is the only drawback I can see.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a bit of a gritty feel to it like it is chalky. The look is a dark yellow that is unfiltered. The smell is definitely of apples.
This is an easy drinking beer with a lot of apple flavor. It stands true to a white ale with a nice touch of sweetness. I would drink this with desert, preferably an apple pie. Cheers.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

I'm surprised this isn't a better reviewed beer. Though maybe I'm a closet fan of some of the fruit beers, but I hate to admit it even to myself. It takes guts for a brewer to do fruit beers, but it's natural for a Cannadian company that prides themselves on excellent Belgian "knockoffs" (though better than many of the best Belgians anyway). I actually like this beer better than expected.

A: Cloudy, small head with tiny but prevalent bubbles, lacing does not last in a brandy snifter. I didn't get too much sedment, but in an apple beer, I welcome sediment, so I poured the whole bottle regardless.
S: not much there but a stale apple smell. Sounds bad, but I like that since the taste is the surprise in the end. You expect it to not have much taste at all by the smell.
T: VERY sweet, yet VERY dry, and VERY sour. Confusing, yes. but overall good. Apple taste is one I guess I just like. Cidery but with a much more refined aftertaste than something like Woodchuck.

Overall I wasn't expecting much, but I liked it.. Probably more than I should. It's a drinkable beer with enough complexity to make it interesting and a nice departure from other styles when needed.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Much better appearance than I expected. I was thinking it was going to look like champagne, instead it's got a hazy peach color. The bubbles are small and craterous.

Love the smell. It's obviously apple, but you pick up some ginger and nutmeg as well. Similar to a hard cider, only beer like. (As it warms, you pick up some bubble gum notes as well)

Unfortunately, the flavor doesn't match the smell. The scents are stong and bold, the flavor, not so much. Nothing really stands out.

The mouthfeel is very complex. There's sweet, spicy, tart, sour, and bitter. None of them overpowering. This would make a really nice summer beer (it's winter as I write this) and it's very dry.

An easy beer to drink. Even its boldest traits don't offend. Has some good unique qualities.

Appearance - Pours a dull and opaque yellow. Looks like soured apple cider. Average lacing with a one finger soapy head.

Smell - Granny smith apples present themselves immediately. I then get hints of many various citrus and apple smells. I feel as if I am walking through an apple orchard. Slightly sour and cider-like.

Taste - Sort of a musty and funky apple taste. Sort of a rotten apple taste, actually. A sour zing with a heavy Belgian-yeast taste. Heavily carbonated and creamy.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Perhaps slightly too carbonated. The carbonation takes away from the apple and cider flavors. Slightly sour and bitter. Light bodied and funky.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours a hazy, amber/apple cider color, with little head that holds little retention and little/no retention

S: heavy apple, citrus, and coriander aromas envelop the nose up front; a hint of cinnamon, as well as wheat/yeast underneath

T: cool, liquid apple pie; apple, citrus spice, and cinnamon are everywhere; a touch of deep brown sugar and bread yeast also present; don't really taste the curacao mentioned on the bottle

M: crisp and light; refreshingly medium body, which don't seem to go together; this brew manages to marry them together though

D: very, very drinkable; crisp apples and heavy pie textures from cinnamon, coriander, and other spices balance the crispness well

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

Cloudy golden/straw in color with everlasting white bubbly head that leaves pretty lacing. Weak aroma of sugars, apples, juice, light fruit and sour notes. A wave of flavors hits the palate: sour apples, light fruit, apple skins, slight lemon, and fruit skins in the aftertaste. Light in body with spritzy carbonation that tickles the palate. A very refreshing, fruity (but not annoyingly so) beer that satisfies that light sweet beer crave.

2.32/5  rDev -35.6%

A: Apple cider- looking with a lot of sediment and not much of a head. At the end of the pour, something brown sloshed out of the bottle, which wasn't super appetizing.

S: Pretty much all granny smith apple with a hint of spice.

T: Again a bit of a stale granny smith apple flavor with a little pepper and spice to it. Not much to this one and without a doubt, the worst Unibroue beer I've ever had.

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Head of one finger dense foam, with little lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Slightly foggy. Smell, apples of course, with some trace of honey and malt. Taste is green apple, spices, wheat, malt, and a slight trace of hops. Mouthfeel is sort of on the bland side, with a little tingle form the carbonation. A change of pace, but just too sweet for any extended drinking. I would try it again.

2.74/5  rDev -23.9%

I tried their Ephemere Apple, a rare venture for Rings into the world of fruit beers. Though my German brewing roots typically prohibit much palate for spiced or fruit beers, I do keep trying 'em, just in case something gives.

Ephemere pours blonde, as its base is a simple Belgian wit. There's a huge Granny Smith nose, however, which leaves no doubt as to the direction this one will go. It has a slightly sour bite, off-balanced with a nice fruitiness that is (thankfully) a mere fraction of the bouquet. The body is thin and it's highly carbonated, perhaps due to age, as the bottle conditioning may be a little "overly-done," to quote Mel Blanc. It finishes tart, with lingering sour notes.

While this wasn't horrible -- as I feared -- it still wasn't good. Despite my reluctance, I have had a few decent, and even "good" fruit beers. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them, although I suspect age may have been the greatest factor in its lack of balance.

3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

A - pours a pale yellow/orange, with a small white head that dissipates relatively quickly and does not leave much retention

S - Easily smell sour apples and champagne

T - Apples and sour oranges in the front, very slight bitterness as well. No strong malt or hops profile, but seems balanced by the fruit. Nothing is overpowering in this beer, except possibly the carbonation levels.

M - High carbonation is possibly the main drawback of this beer.

D - If the apple-ness of this beer sits well with you, you could hit a lot of these in a night, but beware the bubbles.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue