Éphémère (Apple) | Unibroue

Availability: Spring

Added by kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Ratings: 2,069 |  Reviews: 1,011
3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

12oz picked up today at Brewforia.... Cool to see this as I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Poured into my Delirium goblet. short lasting 1" white head... the brew is hazy golden...

Mainly green apples in the nose.. lightly phenolic..

Flavor is again pretty heavy in the apple department, but some coriander and a bit of wheat with again only hints of Belgian phenols... sorta like a lite witbier with a nice splash of apple... finish lingers with apple Jolly Rancher essence...

lite body with good carbonation... as I expected, this was sorta an "ehhh, glad I finally got to try a bottle" but I doubt I would buy another bottle unless I was trying to brew an apple beer.

3.5/4/4/3.5/3.5

2.97/5  rDev -18.2%

First off, let me say that Unibroue is my favorite brewery and Belgians are my favorite style. That said -- dude, the smell of this beer is definitely funky.

When you crack the cap you get a blast of granny smith apple. So far, so good. But once you have a pour and take a good whiff, you get a huge nose full of... TOE JAM!

That's right, toe jam. It is like someone scraped out their toes and spread it ona slice of granny smith apple. Pretty disgusting.

Luckily, the toe jam doesn't come through in the taste. It tastes like a witbier with a hint of apple.

I finished the 4-pack, but it won't be a repeat for me. If I want a witbier, I'll buy Ommegang Witte instead.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

First couple of servings, decanted it to keep the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Beer was a golden amber with plenty of carbonation, developed a 1" fizzy head which faded fast. Pretty light in body. Smell was of apples (obviously) with hints of banana and wheat. Taste was of green apples and yeast and was pretty well balanced with the amount of CO2.
The last serving, I felt like swirling it up pretty well to get the leftover yeast in the glass and I liked it much better that way. It had a bit more depth to it and the flavors came out more, so I'm basing my ratings on the last glass as that was my favorite.
Pretty good for a fruit beer.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured (decanted really) the beer is a bright lightly hazy golden color with a 1" fluffy white head and lots of streams of carbonation. While some of the the head persists throughout most of the beer there's very little or no lacing when sipping and none of the foam sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Even as the bottle is opened the aroma of green apples (Granny Smith) with some hints of coriander spreads into the room.

Taste: The flavors are more complex than initially expected from the nose. Along with the green apple and slight tartness there are traces of wheat and coriander. There is also some faint Belgian yeast character adding to the complexity.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and prickly with the abundant carbonation. The finish is medium long and begins lightly sweet as the slightly tart apple and other flavors fade into dryness.

Drinkability: This would be a perfect summertime refresher. Just complex enough to be interesting with a mild crisp fruity flavor, but not so complex as to distract from a summer open house with friends. I enjoyed this beer and would not turn it down if offered.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

I'm not a huge fan of fruit beer to start. But I do enjoy cider, so I figured I would give this a try.

A: Pours a hazy golden/straw color with a big fluffy white head.

S: Granny smith apples, tart, bit of funk. Maybe some coriander too.

T: Somewhat lacking to me. Very muted tart apple, coriander, some of that funk from earlier. Just rather like an average light beer with apple really.

M: Bubbly and effervescent. Champagne like.

D: Goes down easy. I don't know if I will be drinking anymore though.

I've enjoyed all the other offerings I've had from unibroue. Big fan of La Terrible. Trois Pistoles is next. Hopefully it will be a better experience.

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Nice yellow color. Pretty cloudy with a lot of bubbles surfacing. Had about a 1/2 inch head that dissipated pretty quickly and left nothing but a small outline around the glass.

S - This beer absolutely reeks of apples. As soon as I opened it, I felt that I was in an apple orchard. Green apples to be more specific. Also maybe a little citrus in there and some bread. But tons and tons of apples. Maybe that is why there is a big apple on the bottle?

T - I thought that based on the smell the apple would be way more present. It's really lacking in that powerful apple taste I was expecting. More surprising the apple taste is way at the end of the taste. I feel that there is more grain than apple to the taste. It's a little sweet, but it doesn't bother me, I'm sure there some people out there that would absolutely hate it. I don't though. Also seems like there is a bigger trace of coriander in there, than apple.

M - Very very light mouthfeel. Very juice-water-like but with carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable beer in my opinion. Finishes without much aftertaste which makes it easy to drink. Goes down really easy too with the lower alcohol level.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a yellow color, initially is like a macro brew pilsner in appearance, then the bottle sediment enters the glass from the bottom of the bottle - ahh now it looks good. Cloudy and light amber in color, almost like a Hefe. Carbonated, very lively. The head starts out massive and chunky, but is quickly going away. Has a white head.Leaves a lace head top. Minimal lace.

Smells of apple, green apples - bigtime. Also can detect some orange and other fruit.

Taste is apples, some other fruits. Brew is sweet but not overdone. Wheat flavro in there as well. Has a very light, juice like mouthfeel. Has some carbonation as well, but not as much as I imagined. Finishes clean and goes down way easy.

This is good for what it is, but I am not a big fan of fruit brews. That being said it would be awesome to drink this on a hot day as opposed to iced tea or lemonade. Good for what it is, just not my particular type of brew.

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz bottle split with bnieman and poured into a tulip glass. 5.5% ABV, Best by 01-10-10.

Thanks to bnieman for sharing this bottle!

A - Tiny particles barely haze the golden yellow color. A low white head sits on top shortly before it goes down to a ring. No lace left over.

S - Sour green apple airhead candy nose that's really sweet in scent. Somewhat sweet malt behind with a good dry wheat nose. Very intoxicating and inviting. A pleasure to keep smelling.

T - The apples add an interesting real apple taste that blends well with the existing beer to give it a mildly spicy (coriander), apple citrusy, and Airhead sugary-sweet flavor. Wheat and malts in the background.

M - Light-bodied and crisp with a mild carbonation bite to the finish. Refreshing and light with a low citrus punch at the end.

D - The flavor may get a bit old after a few, but it's certainly delicious for what it is. I could have at least two and be refreshed and satisfied.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

I poured from a 12 ounce glass into my SA perfect pint glass. A pale, hazy yellow in color with a big fizzy white head, no lace. The smell and the flavor of this is all about tart apples. To be honest that is all I smell and it is the dominant flavor, along with some spice. The finish is sweet and lingering. The beer is light and fizzy. This was a nice change of pace for me even though I do not see myself buying it again. If I want apples I will reach for cider, not beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

I popped open a bottle of this guy last evening hoping for a bubbly surprise. It poured golden, looking more like champagne than beer with a giant foamy head that quickly dissipated and nearly perfect clarity.

It smelled like apple cider, tasted like apple cider, and looked like apple cider. I tried real hard to find the grains, but they are neatly silenced by a sharp tart apple flavor.

It was good. Not great, not special.

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

It was new year's eve, so I decided to crack open something fancy. While others were popping open bottles of champaign, I popped open a corked 750ml bottle of this.

Poured a hazy gold color. It is clearly an unfiltered beer. Plenty of head was produced, but minimal lacing occurred.

Upon initial opening of the bottle, there was a clear apple scent, with some minor yeast smell. Unfortunately, over time the apple scent faded and the yeast smell prevailed.

Taste is mostly what I would expect from an unfiltered wheat beer. Some grain flavoring, some yeast, a minor hint of apple. Fairly straightforward with no real aftertaste.

Overall it was fairly interesting and quite drinkable. Given that there is secondary fermentation involved, I am somewhat interested in picking up a few more bottles, to try it both fresher (my bottle was sitting around for a few months) and aged a little bit longer.

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into standard pint.

A: Cloudy, dark golden color. Half finger, bubbly, white head... big airy bubbles. Quickly settles disintegrating almost completely.

S: Apple, a little grain, and an almost peppermint tone.

T: Really grainy with a very light fruit flavor. Really pungent.

M: Kind of a watery, diluted feel. Really light, with a pungent aftertaste.

D: Not an easy one.

Atmosphere is okay. Appearance is pretty average, nose is very fruity and pleasing. Flavor is not what the nose projects, and the feel is a little off-putting. Overall, this is a pretty average quaff. I guess it's okay just for something different.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer really isn't up my alley, I thought I might like it after trying their lightly spiced wit, but I was sadly mistaken. Way overspiced and this really doesn't mesh with the apple.

Pours a cloudy golden color, if I pretend well enough, I can see some green from the apples around the edges. Head is decent size but fades like the eighties and dies without lacing.

The smell starts off with apples and hay, some strong coriander going on as well, I am picking up lavender as well.

The taste just has too much shit going on, the spicy apple sweetness really doesn't enjoy playing with my tongue. No Bueno.

Mouthfeel is decent, but the taste keeps this from being drinkable in my book. Sorry unibroue, but no thanks to this one.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Cloudy gold. Very active carbonation. A fluffy eggshell cap has OK retention, but leaves little lace.

S: Heavy on the apple in the nose. It's almost candy-like in quality. Behind it are scents of raw wheat and sourdough bread.

T: The apple from the nose doesn't make it into the flavor that much. There's a nice sourdough quality at work, plus a good coriander spiciness. The apple is quite subdued, but still present. Finishes tart and dry.

M: The grainy body has hyperactive carbonation.

D: This beer didn't do a lot for me. Pretty much a nice Wit that's had a dose of apple added to it. I'm glad I had it, but doubt I'll be back.

3.02/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Got a bottle in a sampler for Christmas. First beer on Christmas day! Poured into a pint glass.

A: Looks almost exactly like green apple cider. The kind that comes in gallons in the fall. Pale, golden green.

S: Smells a lot like apple cider too. Apple crisp and caramel apples. Mild wheat.

T: Apple cider with wheat in it. Extremely mild bodied, and not sweet. Very crispy and carbonated. Tasted a lot like a Woodpecker hard cider. Finish is pretty watery and thin. No aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. Recommended to introduce women to beer maybe.

Value: Pricey.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours to a light golden yellow. Aroma of sour apples fills the nose immediately, followed by some alcoholic notes, and a little curacao. Flavor has a bit of a stale apple character. Mouthfeel is kind of like champagne, rather bubbly. Smooth and slightly bitter. But overall decent.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance - Very light gold

Smell - Apple & spice

Taste - Similar to apple cider but green apple and slightly tart

Mouth Feel - Crisp

Drinkability - It tastes like a fruit beer - in this case green apple, slightly tart rather than sweet like apple cider - a combination of beer qualities and cider.

1.73/5  rDev -52.3%

12oz twist off (foil cap) poured into Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a straw and hazy color with a thin and whispy head. Slowly dissipates to to the color of murky pond water. HhHhhhhmmm... not good so far.

Smell: As soon as it hits the glass you get the smell. Unfortunately its not a pleasant smell. Sweetish bubblegum with synthetic apple candy thrown into the mix. Smells rather artificial. Definitely not good so far.

Took only one sip to judge this beer - thats all I needed. Bad (artificial) apple juice mixed horribly with some pale malts. Both clash to produce overly sweet beer that is not reminiscent of fresh apples. there are so many ciders that are far superior to this garbage. Drain poured the rest.

Mouthfeel is very thin and sprtizy carbonation quickly fades to flat pond water spiked with some artificial apple juice.

HUGE letdown from Unibroue since everything else is so good. Real bummer.

If you are reading this review and want to try it please take the 3 other beers that I have.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a hazy, straw color with a foamy white head that settles slowly. Faint lacing.

Aromas of fresh apple that are fragrant but not overpowering. A nice, sweetness in that background.

Flavors, are also appropriate, yet balanced. Fresh-cut green apple; sweet and crisp. Pleasant finish that reminds me of apple flavored bubble gum.

Body is medium, which is appropriate for the flavors. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is pretty awesome as far as fruit beers go. Though the fruit is the main component of flavor and aroma, it's not overly sweet or sour. One or two would probably be enough.

4.62/5  rDev +27.3%

Not normally a fruit beer fan. I love ciders, I love beer, just not normally the confluence of the two. Got it in the Unibroue sampler pack w/ Blanche, Maudite & Fin...

Cloudy with a great apple aroma about it. It quite simply is my favorite apple flavoured beverage at this point. Creamy head without an overwrought carbonation like most ciders. The malt seems to balance the apple beautifully. If you like cider, you'll love this beer!

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

A - huge head settling into a fine mousse, great golden color
S - very aromatic apple, spice, fig, and a touch of funkiness
T - a lot of bitter apple, dry cider notes
M - light bodied with good acidity
D - medium finish, tart acidity

Verdict:
Very straight forward and one dimensional. I like apple, but this beer reminded me a lot of Strongbow cider with more pronounced apple.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First of all, if you've read my other reviews, then you'll know that I always caution the reader that I do NOT typically like fruit beers, Belgian or American. Second, this review is based on my draft sampling, but I have also sampled this from the bottle, with very similar results. Thirdly, I scratched my head reading some of the reviews, some of which claimed "I couldn't stand the super-apple flavor.."; etc, etc, etc. For crying out loud, IT HAS A PICTURE OF A LARGE GRANNY SMITH ON THE BOTTLE...IF YOU DON'T LIKE APPLE, THEN DUH. My apologies for this little bit of venting, as I LOVE this website (bravo to the Brothers Alstrom), and am getting a little tired of people not rating beers against others in their respective style category, and hence detracting from the effectiveness of this e-forum. E.g. a fruit beer is NOT supposed to be hoppy, so if that's your beef, stick to ipa's. Keep this site legit!!

Now that that's out of my system, let's get serious. At the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, this poured a cloudy yellow/orange into a Chimay chalice with two fingers of bright white head. The head collapsed rather quickly though, and laced a little on the spotty side. The smell...gee, let me think...apple??? YES...green apple, but not limited to green apple; caramel, passion fruit, oakiness, and some smokiness also come to the fore. This aromatic mix was a little surprising, so I couldn't wait to sip it. In tasting, the apple and passion fruit hits you first, and then dissolves to a surprising mid-palate vanilla/oak/tartness, and then finishes on a sweet/smoky note. Very surprisingly complex for a style of beer which is typically one-dimensional. The feel was very carbonated/spritzy, but fairly thin. In summary, I couldn't help but think that next summer I will stock my fridge with plenty of this, for the long days of working in the yard. Also a great beer to appeal to both sexes if you're having a party or dinner guests.

1.83/5  rDev -49.6%

A - Pale yellow color with a tiny head made up of large carbonation bubbles. Quick dissipation, looks kind of flat.

S - Smell is pretty solid, nice sour apple tart smell which reminds me of candy. The yeast blends in well with the smell, but is definately a subtle second to the aroma of apples.

T - Awful, tastes like bad apple juice that's not sweet enough. I don't mean apple juice that's gone bad, just apple juice that is bad. Maybe this is just a bad bottle, but this is horrible and no one should waste their time with it.

M - It's almost completely flat, and kind of sticky.

D - Can't do it. Just can't drink this horrible brew.

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light cloudy gold with a light head and retention. Its not much to look at.

The aroma is very sweet and strong. You get all apples, very reminiscant of a green apple sucker.

The taste is horrendous. It has no flavor of apples or sweetness, its flat and tastes like a wanna ba sparkling water. The end is fuzzy and blah. A very poor effort all the way around. Mouthfeel poor and not drinkable at all.

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass; 49 deg. F.

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a touch of gold in the middle. Very thin white head, constantly fed by the flowing bubbles. No lacing.

I could smell the sweet/tart apples as soon as I uncapped the bottle. The powerful apple aroma is supported by the nutty/bready/spicy yeast character. Malts are light and barely evident. I couldn't pick up any hop aroma.

Taste is of green apples, followed immediately by a touch of sweetness that explodes into a bready/nutty/spicy yeast and malt orgy. There is a creamy, almost vanilla-like aspect. I'm picking up a slight sourness mid-palate. There is a mild and perfectly balanced bitterness. Finishes dry and clean with a touch of apples, light malt, and that unmistakable yeast character. There may be a touch of floral hops.

This beer is highly effervescent, but the mouthfeel is pretty full and slightly chewy. the carbonation bites the tip of the tongue, but fades as the beer glides across the palate.

Overall, this is an extremely drinkable beer. It is perfectly crafted and delicious. The apple flavor could be stronger, but it is certainly noticeable.

Since I started brewing, my tastes in beer have changed considerably. Until today, I hadn't had this beer, or any Unibroue beer, since I began brewing. Most beers now leave me greatly disappointed, even the ones I used to love (e.g. Bass Pale Ale). This beer, however, is still a masterpiece in my eyes. I hope I still feel the same about the rest of the Unibroue lineup...

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue