Éphémère (Apple) | Unibroue

15%

Ratings: 2,082 |  Reviews: 1,016
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy/hazy yellow into a glass with a frothy white head. Smell was faint but of spicy and sour apples. Taste was similar, earthy and floral up front balanced by some apple sweetness and spice. Decent fruit beer, not overpowering by any stretch, well balanced just nothing too special about it.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle samples-Nice beer for the summer. Foggy straw body with a small whitish head. Aromas are citrus, apples, and a sugary candy aroma. Tastes like sweet and sour/tart apples. Slight alcohol taste is present as well. A nice refreshing summer beer for sure.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

best before 4-11-11

pours cloudy golden yellow with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells of apples of course and some yeast

taste is much like the nose green apples that are somewhat candy like - a little watery

mouthfeel - well carbonated very crisp and light

drinkability is good but i dont think i could drink more then one in a session

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a cloudy gold with a small but rich white head. The aromas are massive. Granny Smith apples practically assault the nostrils. Green apple carries over strongly on the palate, with yeast also featuring prominently. The taste is takes the label a bit too literally for my taste. It's unique and interesting, for sure, but I don't honestly enjoy the taste. Am glad to have tried it.

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours gold-orange with an inch of white head that fizzles down to a wispy cap.

Tart apple definitely jumps out in the nose with a faint chalky, fruity yeast character in the background.

More apple on the palate. In fact, it masks whatever spicing there is in the beer, along with the malt profile. The apple is fairly authentic tasting. It's very tart, definitely Granny Smith, as advertised, but it really overwhelms, and I get tired of it after a few gulps.

Meh, I can't imagine an apple beer could be much better than this. That said, I can think of a handful of fruits better suited to brewing, and, particularly, to this beer.

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

cloudy light golden color. low medium carbonation. nice frothy white head and a little lace to boot.

impressive aroma. all the spices named on the label and apple are easily identified without the beer being muddled as a consequence. a bit of a cross between a wheat with its spicy phenolic coriander and yeast, a bit of cidery apples, and a touch of belgian white to round it all up.

the taste too has lots of different characters to it. not brought together quite as well as the aroma, but still easily enjoyable. adding the last bit from the bottles seems to dull some of the sharper aspects to the beer as it adds quite a bit of fine sediment. i prefer the sharper version as it stays a bit more light and refreshing.

surprisingly it ends up being a bit heavy and filing in the end. perhaps that sediment is taking away more from the beer than i thought. anyway, it is a very nice beer and quite unique. well done.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle poured into an Allagash tulip in three parts. The bottle says this is an ale brewed with apple juice, coriander and curocao.

Appearance: Golden and very cloudy. Color is a bit dull, watery golden white on the outside. One finger white, fizzy head that quickley recedes into nothing.

Aroma: Fresh green apple adds some nice tartness to the aroma. Sweet and tangy Belgian yeast notes dominate. A touch of coriander and wheat malt also are present in small doses.

Taste: Crisp apple tartness hits first, but subsides quickly. It becomes less prominent throughout the brew. Belgian yeast is the main flavor here too pairing nicely with the corainder. The wheat malt is really weak overall. A bit too watery for my liking. I really don't get any of the curacao here.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied overall. Carbonation is more moderate then expected. Crisp.

Drinkability: Low ABV and clean, crisp, and fresh flavors give this high drinkability. Still has the feel of a sipper overall.

Overall, this is a nice, clean, crisp brew. The highlight of this is the green apple notes. Definitely too watery, but it is meant to be light. The curacao could play a much more prominent role here too and it would add much needed complexity.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Poured a hazy golden yellow that ironically sort of resembles apple juice. The color is good but calling the head retention poor would almost be an understatement. It started at about one finger and quickly degraded to the thinnest collar. I believe this adds to the apple juice esque appearance.

Smell: Big juicy, tart green apples are clearly dominant. Followed by some fruity esters which I assume are from the use of a Belgian yeast strain.

Taste: Again the delicious tart green apples are on the forefront. The fruity yeast definitely complements them quite well. The apple flavor is less dominant than in the smell which lets a bit of biscuit like malt shine through.

Mouthfeel: The body is a little on the thin side for my liking, but it certainly isn't terrible. The carbonation however is quite bothersome. It's almost on par with champagne.

Drinkability: Generally speaking fruit beers are too sweet for my liking, but this could be a bit of an exception. There's a solid beer backing some great tart apple flavors.

Overall I found it an enjoyable beer. I found it to be more of a tart fruit flavor than outright sweet. Which was definitely a pleasant surprise. Again this isn't my favorite style, but this would be on my short list if I'm in the fruit mood.

3.32/5  rDev -7.8%

Pored into an over sized wine glass.

Effervescent as hell that initially creates a big head that quickly fades into a thin, whispy layer. The liquid is a deep, cloudy golden haze and there is plenty of chunky yeast sediment at the bottom of the glass.

Big green, sour apples in the nose and mild sweet malts.

Tastes of mild malt sweetness up front and sour green apples midway and a very mild hop at the end.

This is almost too carbonated. Almost seems like a type of Italian or Portugese soda - good in that regard I suppose.

As advertied - this is a nice crisp summer refresher. Like I said, it seems to be more of an traditional European soda...carbonation and all, which is good, but I suppose this is what a fruit/vegetable beer is all about. Just not really my thing - if I am looking for beer.

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured this Unibroue product the day we got it in. Tremendous yeast at the bottom of this bottle refermented apple ale. Poured with a huge airy head that was snowy white. A cloudy light gold color sat below in the body. Wild fast bubbles are fun to watch.

The apple smell is pervasive. At arm's length it is sweet apples, almost like an apple candy or apple fruit roll up. Up close I get a apples with a bit of scotchy smoke, kind of weird and interesting.

This beer is much more spicy than I had anticipated. The bottle says coriander and curacao, I'm not sure what curacao tastes like, but this has spice and it's not the typical apple pie spice. The tartness of the apples is apparent on the front end, but it finishes with a spicy note. Even after a minute I still have a tart sourness in my mouth.

Light on the mouth. This should be served very cold. A good beer for the Spring.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

The Ephemere poured a light amber color into the glass with a champagne like foam head that dissipated fairly quickly.

The smell was dominated by apples of course with faint spiciness in the back. It was thin in the mouth and light malt taste that was a cross between a light beer and apple cider. Overall my wife was a fan of this but it is not my cup of tea.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%

Dated: A 12091138Q
From LCBO, 750ml

G: Chalice

A: Hazy green body with two fingers of fluffy white head. Decent retention, but dissipated into a think ring around the edges of the glass and leaves little lacing.

S: Green apples, some yeast. Not a lot of flavours, but the apple smells so good. Freshly picked, a little sour.

T: Same as the smell, which is disappointing IMO. This comes across as sparkling wine and not a beer. It's pleasant for tasting like apples, but not great in a beer classification.

M: Medium bodied and high carbonation. Makes for a foamy texture in the mouth and leaves a bitter apple finish.

D: This is good to try once, but nothing I would have again. Came off as sparkling wine/cooler and not much a beer.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a one-finger thick white head that lasts briefly. No lacing.

This brew has a fantastic apple fragrance. My wife sitting next to me could smell it clearly and remarked that it was the best smelling beer I've ever had. I mostly agreed with her, and was getting quite excited for the inevitable onslaught of wonderful apple goodness in the taste...

...unfortunately, it never came. The apple taste is disappointingly subtle - I couldn't believe how bland it was. There's also notes of wheat and coriander. This brew just tastes waterd down. It's like someone took a couple ounces of a nice apple lambic, and then diluted the rest of the bottle with water. Such a huge disappointment.

The mouthfeel is watery but fairly smooth. But after the let down of the taste, it was hard to find the mouthfeel anything but lacking as well.

This beer could have scratched a fantastic itch - a nice cheap alternative to those wonderful fruity lambics and geuzes. But it's not even close. Will not buy again.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz picked up today at Brewforia.... Cool to see this as I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Poured into my Delirium goblet. short lasting 1" white head... the brew is hazy golden...

Mainly green apples in the nose.. lightly phenolic..

Flavor is again pretty heavy in the apple department, but some coriander and a bit of wheat with again only hints of Belgian phenols... sorta like a lite witbier with a nice splash of apple... finish lingers with apple Jolly Rancher essence...

lite body with good carbonation... as I expected, this was sorta an "ehhh, glad I finally got to try a bottle" but I doubt I would buy another bottle unless I was trying to brew an apple beer.

3.5/4/4/3.5/3.5

2.97/5  rDev -17.5%

First off, let me say that Unibroue is my favorite brewery and Belgians are my favorite style. That said -- dude, the smell of this beer is definitely funky.

When you crack the cap you get a blast of granny smith apple. So far, so good. But once you have a pour and take a good whiff, you get a huge nose full of... TOE JAM!

That's right, toe jam. It is like someone scraped out their toes and spread it ona slice of granny smith apple. Pretty disgusting.

Luckily, the toe jam doesn't come through in the taste. It tastes like a witbier with a hint of apple.

I finished the 4-pack, but it won't be a repeat for me. If I want a witbier, I'll buy Ommegang Witte instead.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

First couple of servings, decanted it to keep the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. Beer was a golden amber with plenty of carbonation, developed a 1" fizzy head which faded fast. Pretty light in body. Smell was of apples (obviously) with hints of banana and wheat. Taste was of green apples and yeast and was pretty well balanced with the amount of CO2.
The last serving, I felt like swirling it up pretty well to get the leftover yeast in the glass and I liked it much better that way. It had a bit more depth to it and the flavors came out more, so I'm basing my ratings on the last glass as that was my favorite.
Pretty good for a fruit beer.

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured (decanted really) the beer is a bright lightly hazy golden color with a 1" fluffy white head and lots of streams of carbonation. While some of the the head persists throughout most of the beer there's very little or no lacing when sipping and none of the foam sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Even as the bottle is opened the aroma of green apples (Granny Smith) with some hints of coriander spreads into the room.

Taste: The flavors are more complex than initially expected from the nose. Along with the green apple and slight tartness there are traces of wheat and coriander. There is also some faint Belgian yeast character adding to the complexity.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and prickly with the abundant carbonation. The finish is medium long and begins lightly sweet as the slightly tart apple and other flavors fade into dryness.

Drinkability: This would be a perfect summertime refresher. Just complex enough to be interesting with a mild crisp fruity flavor, but not so complex as to distract from a summer open house with friends. I enjoyed this beer and would not turn it down if offered.

3.27/5  rDev -9.2%

I'm not a huge fan of fruit beer to start. But I do enjoy cider, so I figured I would give this a try.

A: Pours a hazy golden/straw color with a big fluffy white head.

S: Granny smith apples, tart, bit of funk. Maybe some coriander too.

T: Somewhat lacking to me. Very muted tart apple, coriander, some of that funk from earlier. Just rather like an average light beer with apple really.

M: Bubbly and effervescent. Champagne like.

D: Goes down easy. I don't know if I will be drinking anymore though.

I've enjoyed all the other offerings I've had from unibroue. Big fan of La Terrible. Trois Pistoles is next. Hopefully it will be a better experience.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%

A - Nice yellow color. Pretty cloudy with a lot of bubbles surfacing. Had about a 1/2 inch head that dissipated pretty quickly and left nothing but a small outline around the glass.

S - This beer absolutely reeks of apples. As soon as I opened it, I felt that I was in an apple orchard. Green apples to be more specific. Also maybe a little citrus in there and some bread. But tons and tons of apples. Maybe that is why there is a big apple on the bottle?

T - I thought that based on the smell the apple would be way more present. It's really lacking in that powerful apple taste I was expecting. More surprising the apple taste is way at the end of the taste. I feel that there is more grain than apple to the taste. It's a little sweet, but it doesn't bother me, I'm sure there some people out there that would absolutely hate it. I don't though. Also seems like there is a bigger trace of coriander in there, than apple.

M - Very very light mouthfeel. Very juice-water-like but with carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable beer in my opinion. Finishes without much aftertaste which makes it easy to drink. Goes down really easy too with the lower alcohol level.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a yellow color, initially is like a macro brew pilsner in appearance, then the bottle sediment enters the glass from the bottom of the bottle - ahh now it looks good. Cloudy and light amber in color, almost like a Hefe. Carbonated, very lively. The head starts out massive and chunky, but is quickly going away. Has a white head.Leaves a lace head top. Minimal lace.

Smells of apple, green apples - bigtime. Also can detect some orange and other fruit.

Taste is apples, some other fruits. Brew is sweet but not overdone. Wheat flavro in there as well. Has a very light, juice like mouthfeel. Has some carbonation as well, but not as much as I imagined. Finishes clean and goes down way easy.

This is good for what it is, but I am not a big fan of fruit brews. That being said it would be awesome to drink this on a hot day as opposed to iced tea or lemonade. Good for what it is, just not my particular type of brew.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

12 oz bottle split with bnieman and poured into a tulip glass. 5.5% ABV, Best by 01-10-10.

Thanks to bnieman for sharing this bottle!

A - Tiny particles barely haze the golden yellow color. A low white head sits on top shortly before it goes down to a ring. No lace left over.

S - Sour green apple airhead candy nose that's really sweet in scent. Somewhat sweet malt behind with a good dry wheat nose. Very intoxicating and inviting. A pleasure to keep smelling.

T - The apples add an interesting real apple taste that blends well with the existing beer to give it a mildly spicy (coriander), apple citrusy, and Airhead sugary-sweet flavor. Wheat and malts in the background.

M - Light-bodied and crisp with a mild carbonation bite to the finish. Refreshing and light with a low citrus punch at the end.

D - The flavor may get a bit old after a few, but it's certainly delicious for what it is. I could have at least two and be refreshed and satisfied.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

I poured from a 12 ounce glass into my SA perfect pint glass. A pale, hazy yellow in color with a big fizzy white head, no lace. The smell and the flavor of this is all about tart apples. To be honest that is all I smell and it is the dominant flavor, along with some spice. The finish is sweet and lingering. The beer is light and fizzy. This was a nice change of pace for me even though I do not see myself buying it again. If I want apples I will reach for cider, not beer.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I popped open a bottle of this guy last evening hoping for a bubbly surprise. It poured golden, looking more like champagne than beer with a giant foamy head that quickly dissipated and nearly perfect clarity.

It smelled like apple cider, tasted like apple cider, and looked like apple cider. I tried real hard to find the grains, but they are neatly silenced by a sharp tart apple flavor.

It was good. Not great, not special.

3.04/5  rDev -15.6%

It was new year's eve, so I decided to crack open something fancy. While others were popping open bottles of champaign, I popped open a corked 750ml bottle of this.

Poured a hazy gold color. It is clearly an unfiltered beer. Plenty of head was produced, but minimal lacing occurred.

Upon initial opening of the bottle, there was a clear apple scent, with some minor yeast smell. Unfortunately, over time the apple scent faded and the yeast smell prevailed.

Taste is mostly what I would expect from an unfiltered wheat beer. Some grain flavoring, some yeast, a minor hint of apple. Fairly straightforward with no real aftertaste.

Overall it was fairly interesting and quite drinkable. Given that there is secondary fermentation involved, I am somewhat interested in picking up a few more bottles, to try it both fresher (my bottle was sitting around for a few months) and aged a little bit longer.

3.39/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into standard pint.

A: Cloudy, dark golden color. Half finger, bubbly, white head... big airy bubbles. Quickly settles disintegrating almost completely.

S: Apple, a little grain, and an almost peppermint tone.

T: Really grainy with a very light fruit flavor. Really pungent.

M: Kind of a watery, diluted feel. Really light, with a pungent aftertaste.

D: Not an easy one.

Atmosphere is okay. Appearance is pretty average, nose is very fruity and pleasing. Flavor is not what the nose projects, and the feel is a little off-putting. Overall, this is a pretty average quaff. I guess it's okay just for something different.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue