Éphémère (Apple) | Unibroue

Availability: Spring

Added by kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Ratings: 2,077 |  Reviews: 1,015
2.2/5  rDev -39.4%

750ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - A frothy golden pour, with an actively raised head. dropped quickly to a gentle lace
Aroma - candy apple.
taste - again... candy apple. strong candy apple, from start to finish.
mouthfeel - crisp and smooth.
drinkability - so sweet... i consider it having a very low drinkability level... I wouldn't buy it again.

my brother was trying this beer with me... and he thinks...
"It tastes like Budweiser, that tried to add apple with candy taffy."

Considering the style tends to use artificial adjuncts/supplements to get the flavor, it is still too unbalanced for my taste. IMO not a well rounded brew, even considering the styles goals....

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Better than I expected. I thought this one was going to taste like a wine cooler and put off drinking it for a while. (If its a spring release, mine was a year old). Pours a cloudy straw color, like a witbier, with plenty of "chunks" floating in it. I haven't seen this much particulates since I had a Hop Hog.

Taste was like a very mild witbier with some apple flavoring. Did not have witbier astringency but was not overly sweet or unnatural tasking from the apple. The mouthfeel was crisp and refreshing and drinkability was good. Not too sweet, I could have easily downed a few if I was out with friends.

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle into a flute glass.

Pours a pale golden color with champagne like carbonation and a similar head.

Smell is intense green apple.

Taste is green apple with some tartness and a slightly dry finish.

Good fruit beer, which is tough to make. Enjoyed one glass, but couldn't drink much more than that.

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%

for a beer that could almost fool some people into thinking they are drinking sparkling wine, this beer almost filled my room with apple. the most intense fruit beer ive ver tried, ive had it in growler and bottle, growler was alittle better, but for being a apple beer it wasnt as easy to drink as id think. had a little bit of a weird aftertaste, but im looking forward to trying the other ephemere styles like cherry,grape, etc.

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%

This beer pours a nearly golden color. Smells strongly of apples and/or apple candy. Mmm. Taste is much of the same, except that the apple is reduced in the background with just a hint of sourness that balances it out.Tart and somewhat tangy. Very drinkable still, which shows that Unibroue only brews good beers.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

An appealing, wheat-colored blonde ale fills my chalice and builds a white head before it quickly dissipates, leaving no lacing. Some particulates collect at the bottom as it sits. Fitting that my friend (trep) described Unibroue's as "a yeasty mess"...he may be onto something, as most of their brews do have a common thread in both taste and aroma. Nevertheless, I found the Ephemere apple to be quite appealing to the nose, with its notes of tart, spice, candy apple, and floral bouquets.

The taste had some good apple flavors, as expected. A candy-like sweetness reminiscent of Juicy Fruit lights up the palate and is accentuated by a nice carbonation level. Mouthfeel is light-bodied and relatively crisp, but doesn't have much of a burst to the aftertaste. All in all, this is definitely a beer that goes down easily, partly due to it's low (5.5%) ABV. The "apple, curacao, and coriander" make for a tasty brew, but it lacks the intricacy of most other Unibroue beers.

3.32/5  rDev -8.5%

Ephemere Apple pours a hazy yellow with a white head that fades rather quickly to a thin cap. The smell has notes of tart apples and coriander. A little of the tartness come through in flavor, but the coriander is more noticeable in the taste. A rush of carbonation in the initial mouthfeel made me expect a crisp finish that didn't materialize. While this beer was interesting, it is not something I would want to session. It is worth trying, however.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%

It's kinda hard, but if you can pour this one like a hefeweizen...very carefully. It pours nice and big, but after a minute or so it falls into a thin lacing that doesn't hold so well. The color is a light cider brown, almost like a light IPA. The smell once you open it is apple. Floral apple tones that must be mixed with something citrisy...the bottle says coriander and curacao. They must be what I'm smelling in company with the apple. Now there's barley even a lacing. A minute head. The smell reminds me right away of a belgian triple mixed with hefeweizen. Clove is what reminds me of a hefeweizen. The mouthfeel is the first thing I notice, it's got that carbonation that's prominent and sticks to your tongue the whole time you drink it. The flavor is slightly clovey and Belgian-like, however the apple cider and light citrus then take over and finish dry. The flavor reminds me of a mixture of candy and medicine. Overall, I will probably not have this one again.

12 oz bottle best before 1/09 served in a snifter
This beer pours out a pale gold color with a fairly large pure white head which doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. I was able to notice the smell immediately after pulling off the cap. There is a good deal of sour green apple, granny smith like, on top with a bit of cloviness and banana underneath. The taste too starts out with a lot of sour apple flavor which is somewhat balanced by grainy, bready maltiness and a bit of hop spice it's fairly sweet as well. The apple flavor may dominate a bit too much for me. This beer is very bubbly and active on the tongue, finishes dry and leaves a lingering apple taste. Light and refreshing this beer is fairly drinkable if it is your "thing". I could see personal preference playing a huge role with this one, some will love it some will hate it, I find it to be an interesting, different beer from Unibroue, good but not great.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Presentation: 11oz bottle with a Best By of 9/20/07, in a thistle shaped tumbler

Poured with life & vigor, a nice snap to it. Lite, dry crisp cider (duh) nose, sweet apples are obviously upfront, but not obnoxiously. I'm inclined to say MacIntosh or another baking apple. Soft malt background, fresh straw, some honey, even an echo of pie spice (old cinnamon, nutmeg). Head was a finger of loose, lively bull pearl white foam that sang & danced, then ran out like it wasn't paying the check to a thin sheen of a floater that didn't lace at all. The body is a murky, clouded, dull golden straw hue. A few bubbles eek slowly up the glass sides.

Surprisingly tart given the nose, on the semi-dry tonguefeel there is a subtle pie spice quality above the rather soft apple taste. In a quirk, the malts take on some characteristics of a pie dough, and are just below the soft apple with peel taste (again, I'm thinking MacIntosh or similar). It is very easy to drink. I can see this being a great warm/hot weather beer.

It gets drier on the palate, a little crunchy, subtle crisp hops add to the dryness and even get a wee bit peppery. It finishes ever so slightly syrupy, a little tart, and leaves a clean, coated, chewy apple cider sheen behind...perhaps even a bit like a caramel apple.

This was good, but it didn't wow me. I feel the Cassis version is far superior and much better. That is not to say this was bad, but that the Cassis is that good. This would be a great refresher, would pair fantastic with a summer salad (Waldorf especially), lite seafood, or pork. Actually, it would go really well with a simple pork dish...I'll have to try that. A good fruit beer, and worthy of checking out.

3.23/5  rDev -11%

The winged fairy princess on the label tipped me off to what I was in for! A very cloudy, pale yellow appearance with a high carbonated fizziness when poured. Sour apple aroma with a hint of banana. Very light taste of green apples but the carbonation predominates. Finishes in a slightly sour note. Light, tingly mouthfeel, dry overall presentation. Highly drinkable if this is your favored style. Light in alcohol and delicate in body that should appeal to white wine enthusiasts. Would pair well with stir fry or grilled chicken breast.

3.03/5  rDev -16.5%

I was wishing for warm weather so decided to try this out. Best before date 8/08. Served cool in a pint glass.
Apperance was pale yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. This started off with a huge white head that required a second pour to fit the entire bottle in my glass. A small amount of white lacing remained. Lots of yeast floaties throughout the beer like I would expect from a witbier.
Not a strong-smelling beer. There was some apple fruitiness as well as a faint hint of yeast similar to other Unibroue beers.
Apple flavor dominates, like apple juice. There is a little flavor of wheat and yeast. A hint of spices was detected, but this was very faint. Mouthfeel was fairly light and effervescent.
I guess this could be considered fairly drinkable, but I’m not sure I want to drink more. It is very sweet from the apple flavor but there is not much else going on in this beer. This could be a good warm weather treat. I love many of the other Unibroue beers, but this is not one I am likely to visit again any time soon.

2.87/5  rDev -20.9%

I didn't have any of mom's favorite lambic on hand for a birthday toast, & champagne was getting kind of lame after all these years, so out came this stuff. The bottle had a best by date that was coming around pretty soon, so I was glad to have a go before things got too stale.

A good cork pop made my presentation look halfway decent, & the splash of tart green apple cider hitting our noises killed the panic attack I was bound to have, had things not gone well.

Not much head on the pour, but very well carbonated. I could practically feel the individual bubbles burst, just like a fresh can of soda. Very bright & golden, but not totally clear. As much as I try, I never get all the yeast to completely lay down when I pour.

Very potent yeast is the first thing I taste, while the fruit lags behind. The skin of a green apple is evident, though not as pronounced as I had hoped. The backend washes down with a sweet & sour mix of dried apricots, obviously more noticeable as it warms. The coriander is there, but less spicy orange rind, & more lemongrass & ginger. It leaves a tacky mouthfeel & an aftertaste similar to pinot grigio.

Despite all that is included, it really is sort of bland. It's evidently not as fresh as it could of been, but nothing really stands out. Refreshing yes, but so is iced-tea on a hot day. Fresh iced-tea also isn't $7 a bottle.

Mom still liked it, but I have a feeling she's just being mom.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale pear/yellow color. Light foamy head turns to a good film atop the beer.

Smell: Strong green apple aroma is apparent from a distance, but closer inspection shows it to be tempered with cinnamon, malts, and yeast.

Taste: The apples are a bit dulled in the taste, and it is combined with a bit of spices again. The yeast taste is more present here than in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Not as crisp as a cider, presumably due to the yeast, but it's a smooth light-bodied beer with a rather high and noticable tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to consume, easy taste. Alcohol is low.

Not my typical thing, but it's done well. It's basically like a sparking cider, but more yeasty (and has a more beer-like texture). It's more carbonated than I typically like my beer, but that works with the flavor. Probably won't get it again for myself, but with others, sure... Nevertheless, fun to try.

3.74/5  rDev +3%

I've had this beer at festivals before, but it really tasted better when I tried it very cold last night. It is a lightly sweet candy-like beer which has some champagne-like qualities. It's not for every occasion, but it is good when you want something light and sweet.

It poured a cloudy dark yellow with a champagne-like head. I didn't get any coriander out of the aroma (it's written on the bottle) but I did get a good amount of sourness. Flavor was a cross betweeen champagne and a pear-flavored soda (if there was such a thing). A very light, refreshing and crisp mouthfeel.

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer poured a cloudy yellow with a thick head. The bubbles were tight and had nice lacing – although it disappeared quickly. The smell immediately reminded me of a green-apple flavor jolly rancher. The taste is sour and fruity. It isn’t as strong as its aroma. The mouthfeel is on the thin side. It seems to be quite well balanced and would be very drinkable for those who favor this style.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

750ml bottle served in 16oz pint glass.

Pours a hazy light orange, with a pillowy white head. Very witbier like.

Smell is huge green apple, it fills the room. When I lean in for a closer smell, a bit of clean malt is evident.

Taste is also very clean, slighty sour, green apples. It almost seems artificial (jollyranchers come to mind). Malt is even less evident, but it is there and is quite soft. Finish is the classic unibroue spicy yeast, though it seems rather subdued compared to their typical offerings.

Mouthfeel is light, though creamy smooth. Carries the flavours well and is refreshing.

Drinkability is average. How much belgian-apple-beer can a person drink?

Interesting enough to try, but this 750ml bottle would have been more appropriate for sharing. Pretty good for a fruit beer though.

4.32/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 750ml bottle with the wire holding the cork dated 2005 a hazy straw yellow color with a large white head that just faded to no cover at all and no lace at all. smell is good with a earthy apple and a slightly spice aroma. taste is even better nice apple juice malt up front and slightly tart end. light mouthfeel very crisp and dry. very enjoyable, great summer drink.

3.72/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a hazy dark yellow. Huge aroma of ripe green apple. Huge is not an understatement - it approaches jolly rancher territory. Taste is slightly tart green apple with definite orange undertones. There is some biscuity maltiness there as well to keep it under control to some degree. Feels like a sparkling cider in the mouth. Carbonation is very high, which I like here. Fun change of pace for springtime, but not something I would want on a regular basis.

4.19/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a golden yellow with a frothy white head that fades quickly. The aroma of apples immediately filled the room when I poured this beer. The smell is very strong and inviting, all apples with a hint of yeast. The taste is very similar. The apples are very powerful, but as you get to the bottom of the glass the yeast comes out revealing a belgian like beer. The mouthfeel is decent, light and crisp, but I would have like the carbonation to play a bigger role, maybe smaller due to the growler. This one is an easy drinker if you like fruit beer or belgians, the apples calm as you drink, and they do not drive the beer to be sweet or tart, but have a good balance. I suggest checking this one out. Cheers!

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.
Best before 09.20.2007.

Pours the palest of straw in color, finally settling as a very cloudy copper. Carbonated, white head that evaporates within a minute. Thin lacing with trouble sticking.

Ripe, green apple and citrusy-orange bouquet. The sour quality in aroma seems liquidy-sweet. Minor notes of must and corriander.

Bright green apple flavor from beginning to end; very juicy. Orange and lime that provides a spot of tartness prior to a slick sweetness aided by a lingering Belgian, candied sugar. The finish is almost slick with a bit of spice.

Light bodied; light, crisp, and refreshing. Lively carbonation adds to the crispness of this ale.

A light and fruity ale kissed with a Belgian yeast strain. The flavors are too sweet and somewhat artificial; hence the notice of "ale brewed with apple 'juice'", on the label.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Second review - it's been a while since I had the Apple Ephemere, so I decided it was time to give this year's batch a go. 12oz bottle into my Chimay glass.

A - Golden straw-colour, very cloudy. Thin but bubbly head that lasted until the final sip, though I don't recall any kind of lacing - still, the head was very good for only a 5%ish beer.

S - Very strong smell of apples, although not as dominant as my previous try. This is a beer you can smell from across the room though. Some spices in there that I recognise but can't identify (I'm no chef) and a little maltiness.

T - Seemed less watery than I recall, and the apple flavour is a little more understated. Also more on the tart side than sweet which was appreciated.

M - Still a little too watery although much improved from last time I had it. Bubbles almost made it feel like drinking a sparkling wine, but in a fairly good way.

D - While I don't see myself drinking more than one of these in a night, as I'm not generally a fruity beer kind of guy, I can see how some people would. It slips down pretty easily and the low alcohol content for a Unibroue means that it's not going to knock you off your feet.

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

Yellowish golden translucent body with good carbonation. White head falls quickly leaving little lace.
As expected the green apple scent is dominant. Some grass, hay and faint pine. Fresh and crisp.
Fresh green apple taste almost cider like. Tongue prickling and gone in a flash without much in the way of aftertaste. Faint tart finish.
Refreshing and thirst quenching and will probably do best in the summer heat.

-Oelergud

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

Beer poured out a nice hazy golden orange color, with nice carbonation, but only very mild head, some lacing. Smell was light, with faint apple and some spices. Taste was very nice, with apple again coming up front, with a very light and smooth spicey following. The mouthfeel was very nice, again good carbonation, very smooth. All in all a nice fruit beer, I would like to have it on a summer night and review it again.

4.42/5  rDev +21.8%

A- Lightly cloudy golden body with a white head.
S- Apples come through strongest with some other light citrus fruits behind there. Light tart and sour aromas to it also. What surprised me is blueberries come out of this also.
T- Big apple cider flavor. Interesting blueberry comes through also. Very light hint of fruit with a tad tartness to it. Light bitterness lingers on the tongue.
M- Medium to light carbonation with a thin body.
D- Very good. Has a nice complexion and balance to it. I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue