Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Terrible | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2002

Ratings: 2,230 |  Reviews: 959

1.62/5  rDev -61.2%

It saddens me to write this review: I love Unibroue, and were it not for my sentimental regard for the brewer, my scores would probably be lower. This is a new offering from one of my local beer bars; I've never had it, and I was excited.

Served in an Unibroue tulip (this and the anticipation were the high-points)

Pours with a 1+ finger beige head; dark brown, perhaps slightly murky (I had a poor light source to judge a dark beer). Moderate lacing.

Aroma is of nutty, sourdough, slightly musty yeast - the typical Unibroue smell, yet more musty than usual. As the beer warms, mild spice aromas become evident. No malts, hops, or esters present.

Taste is of brown or burnt sugar and molasses up front, which expands into a root-beer like syrupy flavor with the accompanying woody/earthy spices: clove, licorice, sassafras, and maybe a touch of mint. Very sweet throughout, with nothing to provide balance. Just a dash of bitterness. As it warms, some sourness and dark fruit flavors come out.

Mouthfeel is moderately full, mild carbonation, quite syrupy. The mouthfeel is not heavy, but it is very syrupy, if that makes any sense.

Overall it tastes like root-beer gone bad. Too sweet, no malt or hop presence. While reviewing, I wasn't sure what style this was supposed to be, but it didn't rate well in any case. It doesn't improve as it warms: it just gets more fruity and boozy. I get only yeast flavors upfront, a blast of root-beer on the mid-palate, and a cringe-inducing sour-sweetness on the finish. I forced myself through about 2/3 of the glass and then gave up.

I'm trying to find the words to express my disappointment: it's almost like growing up thinking that your mother is of royal descent, then finding out that she was really a barren whore and you were adopted from gypsies.

EDIT:

I had to post a follow-up; it's been about 4 hours now since I drank this beer; I've had 3 beers since then and I keep tasting this beer on the tail-end of every sip I take. This is truly la terrible.

1.75/5  rDev -58%

1.88/5  rDev -54.9%

Wow... the name says it all.

Dark brown body with a generous head, but it disappears quickly and leaves no lacing. No active carbonation either.

Smell is weak, very weak. Can't even find a hint of alcohol despite the 10.5%

Taste is thin, slightly syrupy in the mouth with a viscous finish and just not good at all.

Corked and caged as a 2004, should cellar well, but this just doesn't impress me. Bad bottle? Maybe. I'll have to find some fresher stock and try it again.

2.25/5  rDev -46%

2.5/5  rDev -40%

2.5/5  rDev -40%

2.63/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours a dark ruby, eventually settling in with no light piercing its depths. A white head forms quickly, and lasts throughout the entire session, leaving lacing too thick to see through as you drink from the glass.

Smells of raisins and dark malts. Hints of cinnamon and almonds.

And the taste is where it lets you down. Up front is raw sweetness, followed by an almost vinegary wash. It would be a 1.5, but I'm adding a point just to give it the benefit of the doubt that the Dark Lord two hours prior might have messed with the palate slightly. Still, it's not a very tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, big, and smooth, but finishes harshly with an alcohol thrashing.

I ended up pouring out the last half of this bottle. All the alcohol and the harsh finish left me wanting something smoother.

Maybe I'll try it again on its own, without risk of something contaminating the palate. But not for a good while.

2.67/5  rDev -36%

2004 750mL
Well mark down another vote for cola looking beer, with the way the head acts, large bubbles, and the color of the beer. Smells of apples very strong at first, but it changes to a more general fruityness and some dark malt anise. Taste is not good, well it is the aftertaste specifically. Not so much bad as annoying, because of the weird anise taste that reminded me of fresh mulch. I wouldn't not try it again, but not on my dime.

2.74/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First unibroue brew here. Look is dark brown small thin head. Smell is quite strong lots of spices, not my cup of tea, taste is even more so. I can appreciate that it's supposed to taste like it does, but I don't care for this style of Belgian strong ales at this time. I think the turn off factor may be the lees

2.75/5  rDev -34.1%