La Terrible | Unibroue

unibroue.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2002

Ratings: 2,229 |  Reviews: 958

The bottle simply states "Dark Ale" ... nothing about Belgian ... which makes a big difference in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the yeasty flavors which seem to be present in nearly every Belgian beer I've tried. That said, the high ABV is nicely hidden, and there are some interesting flavors present (clove in particular). I like the sweetness and the minimal hop bite, but overall I'm unhappy with my selection.

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

2004. Beer pours an opaque black with ruby/brown edges... dark ale indeed. Fizzy brownish head that disappears almost instantaneously. Smell is appley yeast and alcohol with some red wine woody tones.

Taste is strangely complex, but I'm not sure in a good way. I'm getting figs, apples, yeast, sugar, strong alcohol (almost vodka-ish), and an aftertaste of chocolate creme and roasty malts. Mouthfeel is surreal, because it's thin but with a harsh carbonation. This isn't a very smooth sipper, and I almost feel compelled to drink it faster to get it over with. I don't know.. it's getting hot in here.

3.03/5  rDev -27.3%

750 ml into my Pike Pub Tulip, La Terrible is a very dark garnet with a massive ivory heavy that is rather quick settling but leaves fairly heavy, foamy lace. This is a new bottle served just above fridge temp.

Smell is mainly sweet cane sugar, some bright fruit and a touch of sourness.

Taste is mainly spicy belgian yeast and dark fruit, mildly acrid and very boozy. Lacking complexity, this is basically a big sugary beer whose sweetness is cut by the high alcohol and esters, more so as it warms. First few sips in particular were pretty disappointing.

Mouthfeel is on the thicker side due to the high sugar content,boil this down a bit and you'll have (dark) simple syrup.

Drinkability is low for a quad, this is just too sugary and ultimately falls short. Not quite terrible, but not too good either.

3.04/5  rDev -27.1%

A bottle from first trip to Bruery Provisions with my buddy Rick.

A: Rosy brown. Dark. Syrupy. One finger head.

S: Sweet.

T: Sweet. Too Sweet. Great example of this style, but too sweet.
M: Medium bodied. Slightly low on the carbonation.

D: Too Sweet. Could be better with some contrasting food.

Similar to Chimay Blue but sweeter.

6/10

3.05/5  rDev -26.9%

Dark dark ruby/brown with good sized head. little bit of light at thinner levels

Has that unibroue smell. This one particularly has some darker fruitiness to it... maybe fig/date or cherries

Good bitterness with the fruit that you can smell but I feel the alcohol is just too much.also has that unibroue aftertaste that i don't really enjoy. Feel it masks anything before

ok drinkability but one is plenty

3.06/5  rDev -26.6%

Terrible wasn't quite that after all!

Appearance- dark brownish/black with a thick tan head.
Smell- alcohol & yeast dominate. Fruity, Malty.
Taste- strong, hops and fruit. Raisiny but good.

overall, Not a bad beer I can actually say I like it. Although the alcohol is too present. Finally the first Unibroue beer I can't say sucked!

3.06/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours dark reddish color, looks black when the glass is full. Not much of a head, or at least not one that lasts.

Not a very complex nose, sweet candy malts and yeast.

Flavor starts with spicy yeast, fades to sweet candy yeast. Again, not very complex. The taste is good, nice and sweet, but not memorable.

Mouthfeel is a bit lacking in carbonation but not terrible.

This is a decent beer but, like most American (or Canadian) brewed beers in this style, lacks much of the complexity that made me fall in love with the superior Belgian examples of the style. Good enough to enjoy drinking for sure, but not even worth comparing to, say, anything from the Rochefort lineup.

6.3/10

3.09/5  rDev -25.9%

dark almost black/murky brown, looks a lot like coffee actually. tried hard to produce a head but my efforts were useless, just a thin skim on the surface. slight hint of fruit in the aroma other than that I can't detect anything else. very low carbonation and the mouthfeel is actually not what I was expecting, kinda thin for strong dark 10.5% belgian ale. somewhat fuity-spicy aftertaste, gotta say that the 10.5% is very well hidden. Should have left this in the cellar for awhile to age/condition a little bit, I thinking that the bottle I got could have benefited from some aging.

3.1/5  rDev -25.7%

A- Around a 1 1/2 finger light tan head. Was really black.
S- Cherries. Sweeter malts and hops. One or two other fruits but nothing as dark as plums though.
T- Bit warming from alcohol in back of throat. Cherry and plum flavors dominate most of the flavor. Sweet and spicier tasting also.
M- High carbonation. Medium to thin body.
D- I didn't like this much at all. I couldn't have more than about 3 or 4 oz.

3.13/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Black with mahogany hues. No head, light suds. Low viscosity.

Aroma: Roasty finish, with nutty chocolate notes. Malt, yeast and booze carried by raisin and cocoa notes.

Taste: Oddy grassy flavor, with cocoa nibs and compelling raisin notes. Complete lack of sweetness, and little too boozy for my taste. I wish I'd served this straight at room temperature as the grassiness of the beer develops into a sourdough malt finish as it warms. Warmer serving temperature might have removed the vegetal front palate altogether.

Mouthfeel: Overcarbonated and a little rough for such an uncomplicated beer - more promised than delivered.

Drinkability: Chambly Noire is more affordable and drinkable, while Maudite has more too it. The odd front palate was distracting and detracted from the beer. Will revisit this one day at room temperature, and adjust my scores if they need to be.

3.16/5  rDev -24.2%

750ml corked & caged bomber poured into a tulip.

Bottle opens with nary a hiss, luckily after pouring it a small light brown head develops atop a very dark brown to near black color - truly terrible looking. Nose is unsurprisingly classic unibroue yeast, it's malty and a bit sweet as well.

The mouthfeel is very nice, fairly light but rich and creamy with a good amount of carbonation leaving a slightly tingling finish. Taste is again classic unibroue yeast - you love it or you hate it, I think it's ok in this style but it isn't as good as many truble Belgian SDAs.

Overall it's ok and a very good value.

3.17/5  rDev -24%

When poured from the bottle if you look at the beer leaving the bottle it is almost a yellowish brown, but in the glass it is a nice dark brown almost opaque, with hints of red/orange when held to the light. The head was 3-4 fingers that lasted a minute or two then lace. The aroma was suprisingly not of alcohol at 10%+ but of malt and spice. The taste was initially of malt and fruit with a strong overbearing yeast flavor, not much alcohol taste at all. Overall at $8.00 a bottle I am not sure that I would do it again, it was good but the price brings the drinkability way down; but even now as I enjoy the warm after affects of the 10+% I wish I had some more.

3.19/5  rDev -23.5%

Note: my brother is in town, so it's exotic beer night, expect a flurry of reviews.

a- pours a darker brown than I expected with a generous head, almost too much. Totally opaque, can barely see a bright light through it. Interesting.

s- a strong smell of alcohol, hints of sweetness, possibly clove, it's not easy to tell. Very bitter overall, not too pleasant.

t- comes on strong, and continues through out. The finish is a bit too bitter for my taste and the alcohol content is more than noticable. Not my cup of tea (or glass of beer).

m- the mouthfeel is strangely contrasting to the taste, it feels tingly due to the ABV, and the finish is very warm.

d- Too strong for a young weakling like myself, but great to try and I will introduce my hardier friends to it for sure.

La Terrible from Unibroue