La Terrible | Unibroue

Ratings: 2,218 |  Reviews: 956

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a very dark brown that is almost opaque. Red edges show when held to the light. There is an inch of cream colored head.
Spotty lacing.

Then nose is bringing up a lot of dark fruits including cherries, plum, date, and a bit of apple. There is some caramel intertwined and there is a sweet biscuit-like malt involved as well.

The taste has a nice subtle sweetness that melds all of the above fruit flavors together creating a nice treat. A cherry taste is mainly notice but there are also some plum and fig notes. The bread-like malt is noticed in the finish along with just a tad of caramel and clove.

Then mouthfeel is syrupy and comfortably textured. The viscosity of this brew keeps the aftertastes flowing. Enjoyable.

Overall, I think is a great Belgian Strong Dark Ale and the sweet characteristics are enjoyable without a cloying feel. Very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a murky dark brown and settled almost black with two fingers of bubbly light brown head that slowly receded.

S - Intense dark fruit up front - raisins, plums and figs. Dark caramel and toffee round out the nose. Some light Belgian yeast aroma in the background that was much more subtle than I expected.

T - Raisins, figs, dark fruit up front. The background has caramel, toffee, Belgian yeast, a touch of chocolate and spice. very robust and complex.

M - Medium body with a nice chew. Moderate carbonation.

O - This was an excellent beer. I wish I could get this locally to I could stock up the cellar.

3.41/5  rDev -18%

750ml corked and caged bottle. Best before 01-30-2016.

It pours a deep blackish brown with a nice-looking whiteish/tan head.

The nose is loaded with yeast scents. Some dark fruit and spice and even a hint of bubble gum. Big strawberry and a hint of cocoa in the aroma too. It is pretty odd.

The aroma has the flavor of sweet fruits and some dark fruit. There is a bit of clove and just a hint of cocoa. It is pretty good, but not outstanding.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours dark brown with a big cream-colored head. Some retention, some lacing. Very pretty.

Big belgian yeast and toasted malt aroma. Brown sugar, fruit, brown bread, some spice, some light cocoa and bruised fruit. Big alcohol that leads to a dried out bitterness. Complex and delicious.

Fuller bodied, moderate carbonation.

An easy drinker, and dangerous at 10.5%. Very worth trying. I like that this can be sipped over time and thoroughly enjoyed without being completely in the tank from the booze. Another winner from this brewer.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark brown with crimson highlights if held to the light. Beautiful coffee colored two finger head, which sticks around a bit, and slowly disappears to a sliver. Fig, clove, apple, and toast are what I pick up on the nose. It's not as complex as some of the best in this style (Belgians), but it's still very well done. The taste is nice- although pretty dry for my taste. The fruits, spices, toast all come through- but the beer is so dry they evaporate off my tastebuds and there's only a mild aftertaste left. None of the 10.5% alcohol is felt or noticed. Feel is a little thin and dry for what the best in this style brings. The flavor has potential, it just never really gets to open up IMO... Overall, a very good beer- but not quite up to the Rochefort 8's, Cuvee de Kaiser Blau on the style list. Still, this is a totally solid brew, and just a few minor changes away from straight 4.5's. I enjoyed drinking it- Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +1%

on tap in a goblet

A-tap was a dark brown color with a tan head very nice lacing on glass

S is dark fruit first with raisins and prune smells and a nice yeast smell

T- prunes and dark fruit,pepper, bready yeast,sweet caramel malts a touch of molasses,grape and wine like qualities very nice

M- very tart and crisp with high carbonation

O- a tart and carbonated dark ale with champagne and wine like tastes it a great brew

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Nice surprise to find this on draft locally, and at $4 a chalice it's a hell of a value. Plum and grapes, toffee and a dusting of cocoa powder. Bit of old earthiness adds depth and alcohol is as tame as a lot of beers of less strength. Yeast throws off a little black pepper and clove. Not as impressive as the bottled version, but Unibroue does dark Belgian ales right.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A-Pours a somewhere between darkest possible brown and coal black that holds up a sturdy,very Belgian,almost grey crown that showed good retention and left stringy,gummy strands of lacing.

S-Dark cherry,chickory,cardamom,clove,brown sugar,yeast rolls and Fig newtons.

T-Rich,dark fruit flavors of plum,date and red currant with caramelized sugars,black pepper,bready yeast and dry spice.

M-Medium/full mouthfeel with a good balance between sweetness and earthy spice but a slightly fleeting finish.Moderate carbonation.

O-A good beer that did not disappoint.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance of this beer is very nice. When you pour it from the bottle, it looks a dark brown, but in the glass it is almost black. The head quickly fades and it just amazing.

The smell is very sweet and fruity. It is like most Belgian Styles, but with a little more alcohol on the nose.

The taste is very nice. It is almost like a wine and has some grape tastes. I also enjoy the little bit of peppery taste too.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. In my opinion, It would almost be a World Class beer if it didn't have such a crazy amout of crispness. It is not hard to drink, I was just expecting something smoother.

Overall this is an amazing beer. It is a pleasant drink with a lot of crazy flavor. Unibroue does it again.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

I haven't had a Unibroue beer in a while, so I guess today is my lucky day!

I poured this into my DuClaw Colossus snifter, because it was the only one clean.

The cork pop thud was a minor one indeed.

A: Prune juice brown, with about a 1/4 finger head that died down into a mere ring around the brew and a few splotches here and there within seconds.

S: I dunno why, but I got some mint upfront before sniffing dark fruit (prunes, figs, etc.), before getting the brewery's signature smell and taste profile. Love it!

T: Fruity and bright.... that kinda negates the color huh? The Belgian influence is definitely there, but not in your face. I definitely got more fruit and funk in this bad boy.

M: Spritzy, bubbly, and champagne-like for sure, with a medium to thick mouthfeel that all came together gloriously to hide the alcohol. No lacing whatsoever.

O: This may be one of my new favorite Unibroue beers now.... or maybe it's just because I haven't had one in a while. No matter. This stuff is great!

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

I agree with most previous posters regarding appearance, smell and mouthfeel so I won't re-write. What I find worth contributing from my recent experience is that I enjoyed a bottle of La Terrible about a month ago which had been cellared about 4 years. It absolutely blew my mind. It was similar to a great, aged port - very intense, complex flavors of chocolate covered cherries, oak, and as the evening wore on, the beer just got better.

It took me a while, but I found a few bottles that were newly delivered (expiration date in 2015, vs. 2012 for the previous bottle). It tasted NOTHING like the previous bottle. It looked, smelled, and felt the same - but there was none of the complexity I got from the aged one. It was still nice, but may as well have been a different beer.

My advice to all is, buy a few bottles (they're cheap!!), stick them somewhere reasonably cool for a few years, then pop them open on a special occasion. You won't be disappointed.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

served into a Duvel tulip at exactly 61 degrees (too lazy to google the degree symbol.

poured a porter dark brown with the usual unibroue heavy carbonation. almost smells like a quad. malty with that dark figgy fruit smell character.

some previous reviews mentioned the strong taste of alcohol. i couldnt agree less. the alcohol is masked brilliantly by hints of spice and slight toffee/caramel. unlike a quad more carbonated mouthfeel. dont know about this being a session beer but not bad in the least

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: It pours dark and nearly opaque with two and a half fingers of cream-colored head with good retention and sticky lace.

S: Sweet dark fruits, red grapes, and enticingly spicy yeast.

T: Concord grape peel, peppery yeast, figs, and a little alcohol. It is a little fake-tasting.

M: Thick and sticky.

O: It's okay. Alcohol is well hidden for what it's worth.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

750mL bottle, corked and caged. Poured into a tulip

Pours a nearly opaque dark brown. One-finger tan head quickly recedes to a thin cap. Smells of dark cherries, tannins, and warm alcohol reminiscent of brandy. Tastes of apples and cherries, with some oak. Alcohol warmth is in-your-face. This beer boldly announces its high ABV and makes no attempt to disguise it - and why should it? Be proud of your inebriating abilities! Full-bodied, chewy mouthfeel makes this a nice after-dinner sipper on a cool autumn evening.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 750ml to a chalice.

Appearance - Very dark brown bordering on black in the dim light. Rich head with lots of lacing that still clings to the inside of the bottle and my empty glass. Carbonation made a nice pancake-head once the initial head faded.

Smell - Surprisingly subtle. Chocolate covered cherries. Dark fruit and spices. Red wine was the most prominent. A bit of yeast. Can't seem to pick up the 10.5% ABV in my nose like I can with most brews of this potency.

Taste & Mouthfeel - My first thoughts were something along the lines of, "Oh my... wow... this is so deliciously smooth." A unique red wine flavor expertly blended with malt, spices and fruit. Some yeast bite that seemed a little less potent than some of the other Unibroue brews. Exceptionally dry and clean. Effervescence, like a champagne, as the wine-brew goes down. Probably the driest and most crisp that I've had to date. I was rather surprised with this quality in such a dark beer. Alcohol warming in my lower chest.

Overall - Almost perfect. I expect a little bit more in my nose, but everything else was top notch. I can't get over how amazing it felt going down.

3.34/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured 45 degrees Fahrenheit into a Sam Adams pint glass. Best before 01.30.2016

Pours an incredible vortex of crystalline bubbles that form the lushest, slow rising head. A dark, opaque brown. Incredible.

Smells of a heavy malt, biscuit, coffee and creme. Well projected.

Tastes of dark fruit, coffee and game yeast. Dries down into the slightest hop bitterness. Really not as lush as I was expecting and a lot of the pillowy Unibroue mouthfeel is gone, and just feels kind of thin.

Overall, not my favorite Unibroue. When I get past how gorgeous the pour is, there isn't much for me interns of richness or layered complexity. I may pick up another bottle to see if it was just this one.

78.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Upon pour it's a very dark black purple body with a tan head that disappears as quickly as it got there.

Smell: Touch of citrus with apple notes, spice and yeast.

Taste: At first I taste stone fruit. Then it develops an almost sour note to finish in a malty/fruity mix.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation for me.

Overall: This Belgian Strong Dark Ale is very drinkable and very complex. I would buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A: 1/2" mocha coloured head over raisin coloured liquid.

S: Complex smell of spice, pepper, orange, apple and yeast.

T: Yeast, apple and orange up front which transitions to a malty raisin finish.

M: Medium viscosity with a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: Very drinkable Belgian Strong Dark Ale with complex smell and flavours. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Pours a really dark plum color with a pretty sizable tan head that goes away quickly

S: Lots of berries, plums, cherries, a nice spiciness and almost a jam/preserve kind of sweetness going on. Nice.

T: At first, it starts off with dark fruits and a sugary sweetness, but the middle breaks into a very acidic and almost tart sourness, and the aftertaste seems to be a mix of the two.

O: Very tasty, but I think I enjoy trois pistoles better. I'll have to check out unibroue's other offerings to figure out my favorite. Might buy again, but not if I have trois pistoles/rochefort 10/van de keizer blauw and other great belgian offerings instead.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

At a tasting at my place this was the 8th beer we tried. With thanks to the 'Brabander'!

A -Pours a dark brown with ruby edges and a big tan head of tiny bubbles. Nice retention.

S - Wine and oak wood.

T - Very spicy and a bit hot. Some dark caramel and dark fruit flavors as well. I can imagine this would be incredible in the winter.

M - Medium body.

O - Overall a fine beer, it combines flavors very nicely.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I know a got this bottle in an in person trade with a very generous BA somewhere the last months....but because of my frequent in person trades with a lot of Americans i forgot who gave this to me, i guess Claarck13, Matt. Thanks!!

We had this bottle in a tasting at the end of the evening. Poured in a wide wineglass this beer is nice darkbrown. There is something about the smell, a light sourness, the taste however is sweet.

Good brew but not the best we had that night (Dark Lord 2010)

La Terrible from Unibroue