La Terrible | Unibroue

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2002

Ratings: 2,220 |  Reviews: 956
4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Whoa! That's what I thought after the first sip. Don't get ahead of yourself man.

750ml bottle into a tulip. No date on the bottle, but I picked it up on a trip to Quebec City 3 months ago, so it's had a little time to age.

A Dark ruby red, fairly opaque. 3 fingers creamy head that sticks around for a long time.

S Typical Unibroue Belgian yeasty smell, not surprised there.

T/M Candy, cream soda, figs, dark fruits, a little bit of spice on the back of the tongue, a nice tingle actually, kind of cool feel, really carbonated I guess, but you really don't notice the 10.5%, only the nice warming feeling in the stomach. Would be great on a cold Quebec evening.

O Refer to the first word in the review. I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I grabbed the beer from the fridge, other than the fact that I had just finished a major research paper and it's time to drink some high abv on a Wednesday night. Really impressed with this. Almost like a really complex 10.5% pop. Of course you can't get it in NB, but given the opportunity I'll pick this up again.

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 12/11. This is the first time I have tasted this Unibroue beer. I am a big fan of their beers, but this one is the best yet.

In a tulip, the beer poured a 3 finger head, which resolved itself after a few minutes. The color is a beautiful opaque chocolate.

All tasting elements of this beer are more fully appreciated with warming. The initial pour was about 47° F(8.3°C) but the true complexity of this beer shines at 5°F+ warmer.

The mouth feel is tantalizing- carbonated, and tingling on the back of the tongue.

With warming: the aroma is enmeshed with cloves, figs, cinnamon, and a hint of licorice.
Taste: fruit, figs, cloves meld together into a rapturous finish.

This is one of the most complex Belgian style beers I have tasted. The 12/11 brew date enhances the complexity.

A slow, contemplative sipper.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a clear pint glass.

Espresso coffee color.

Toffee and fresh yeast nose.

Small bubble head.

Malt, honey and toffee flavours with a slight sour finish due to the lees.

Good mouthfeel.

A very nice winter brew, comparable to other Unibroue brews.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.16/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I love it when something is named exactly the opposite of what it is.

A: Pours scary dark, opaque but no cloudiness. Great looking 2 - 3 finger head which hangs on for a while with good lacing.

N: Smell is strong and boozy and hit me as soon as I got the cork out (using vice grips). Vinous, with dark fruit and grapes. A little unsettling, buckle up.

T: This tasted quite a bit different from the nose. Not nearly as boozy as I had expected. Lovely vinous taste like a robust Zin, with notes of chocolate, figs and dark fruit. Sweet caramel malts with a little bit of alcohol at the tail end, but very subdued.

M: Nice velvety mouthfeel, relatively mild carbonation. Silky and smooth, coated the back of the tongue well. I would put the mouthfeel as medium to light.

A great beer with lovely complexity. Unibroue can do no wrong.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: This stuff is so black you'll be checking under your bed for monsters. It has a nice velvety head, about 3 fingers that take a long time to dissipate. A very attractive pour.

S: I was immediately hit with a very boozy smell, I thought more similar to a wine, but with subdued yeast and malty notes.

T: like everyone else, dried dark fruits, and nice rich malt taste that disappeared as quickly as it appeared, leaving a pleasant and mild alcohol tingle.

M: I was expecting something different, maybe even a little astringent . Not the case. It was very thin on the tongue, but not on taste.

O: This is a very complex, yet drinkable dark ale. It's probably one of the best beers I've had in my short-lived association with craft beers, though I'm feeling really flushed right now.

La Terrible from Unibroue