Unibroue 17 | Unibroue

Added by AlexF on 02-12-2008

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 23/4/12
Original version thanks to unibroue4ever

A not a dead bottle as the cork nearly took my eye out as it popped out sideways. dark brown with some light cola highlight's when held to the light, looks quite dark until you hold it to some light, two finger off white head hangs on for a while and leaves a few patches of lace

S I didn't think this version was oak aged but I pick up on some woody notes for sure, cinnamon, all spice, and fruity rum cake also come out to play, smells great but not what I expected

T some raisins I didn't smell and some more Christmas cake, lots of wet wood and spice, reminds me of a winter warmer and I really don't know where the booze is hiding

M just a little foamy but just is the operative word, no heat and a spicy woody aftertaste lingers,

O lots of earthy wood surprises me, I was under the impression only the new re-released was oak aged, I'd be amazed if this one never saw wood, great beer but not the best I've had from Unibroue

I love the smell and taste of this one and that should say enough, I can't remember trying a fresh bottle to make the comparison but I'd drink now If I had more in my possession

3.87/5  rDev -7%

750ml Bottle - Thanks to Pushkinwow for sharing - this is the original version, not the re-released one.

Appearance - Hazy brown colour with an average size fizzy off white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head was gone in a few minutes.

Smell - Malts, raisins/grapes, yeast, caramel, wood

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, grapes/raisins, and some yeast. It also has a bit of a woodiness mixed with some sweet sugary caramel. It ends with a sweet yet spicy aftertaste.

Overall - Along the lines of a Trois Pistoles with some more spice and character. Not one of my favourites by them but still very drinkable and well worth trying.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Grande Réserve 17

Unibroue Re-released another one. Hope it’s good.
Served in Taps Magazine glass.

A- Dark tobacco-brown. Very creamy looking light beige head. Looks great. Some speckled lacing.

S- Spicy. Something brett-like but I doubt there actually is any in here. Maybe some vanilla. You can definitely taste the oak aging but it’s very delicate. A very interesting smell.

T- Very good. Might be the belgian brown ale I’ve enjoyed the most yet. Some dark fruit obviously but also so much more than most beers in the style. Nice hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M- Very full. Carbonation seems perfect to me. The type of mouthfeel which massages your mouth.

O- Top notch beer. I’d certainly like to taste an aged one, hoping for even more complexity and flavors and a less ‘‘green’’ the hop taste would be nice too.

A-4.0
S-4.0
T-4.0
M-5.0
O-4.5

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, pours a murky brownish-red with a thick brow-white head. Very good retention.

I smell alcohol upfront, and then the dark fruity aromas come through as well as a nice resiny hop aroma. Some cinnamon, coriander and spices are also present.

Tastes malty and fruity upfront, raisins, figs, plums, along with fruity, citrusy and floral hops. The oak aged is just barely noticeable, but it's there. Very nice hop finish to balance off the wonderful maltiness. The alchol is noticeable, but still well hidden.

Overall a wonderful Belgian dark ale, not my favourite Unibroue beer, but still wonderful!

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Unearthed some tasting notes from 2009. Tasted on 10/18/09. Bottled on Dec. 17th, 2007. Beer almost 2 years old:

Dark blood reddish brown with 3mm pearl white head.

Lots of yeasty fruity esters on nose. Mild spice notes.

More spice up front with warming alcohol finish. Lingering dark fruits balance the alcohol beautifully.

Nice round mouthfeel. Won't drink because of scarcity [not sure why I wrote this in my original notes].

Overall beer is incredible. One of my favorites from Unibroue. All it took was two years and a trip to see my buddy Phil in Québec.

Unibroue 17 from Unibroue